Team-BHP - Experiences: Friends & relatives borrowing your car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Experiences: Friends & relatives borrowing your car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/64289-experiences-friends-relatives-borrowing-your-car.html)

I was talking to my friend from Krishangiri (TN) yeaterday, and a common aquaintance of ours asked me for my bike to run some errand of his.

I refused in a nice manner. He was not pleased and left our company.

After that sour incident, the Krishangiri friend consoled me not to feel bad, as I had done the right thing and narrated his experience which, I don't know, made me feel bad for him or good for me.

This is a thread to post experiences of instances when things went wrong, after lending a vehicle to a friend/aquaintance.

I am sure there are going to be a lot of horror stories and lessons learnt, for the benefit of the members/community.

Story 1: (As narrated by the Krishangiri friend)
He owned a RX 100 back then in Krishangiri.
A friend casually asked for his bike for some errands.
He obliged and handed over the keys. The dude returned in the
evening with a twisted mud guard, defective fork and handle bar.
Since it was almost dark, the extent of damage was not clear.
The reason he cited was 'He hit a buffalo crossing the road'

Since they were good/ok-ish friends, he did not mind too much.
The horrific ordeal started next day late afternoon. The TN Police
came hunting for Mr. Krishangiri. The cops asked him if he owned a vehicle
with the registration number (that of the RX).
He replied in affirmation. The cops asked him why did he flee the
accident scene yeasterday and asked him to accompany him to the Police
station since an elderly man was knocked off on the road and broken a leg & registered a complaint against him.

Mr. Krishangiri was shocked beyond belief as he had never been to
a Police station let alone being arrested. He kept on arguing, that he did not ride the bike and was used by an aquaintance. The police didn't pay any heed (and rightly so) as the vehicle was registered in his name.

The aquaintance who created the mess was no where to be found. Finally they found him but he denied all charges and refused to comply with any proceedings.

There followed a long ordeal and the lawyer of the elderly man concluded that he was the only earning member of the family and full compensation be paid along with imprisonment for Mr. Krishangiri.

After a lot of talking and discussion, the matter was settled out of court and Mr. Krishangiri paid the old man 40 grand (long time back).

You think its over ? No. The old man re-appeared an year after and demanded that the rod stuck in his leg had to be removed and due to complications more money was required.
The man was bluffing. Mr. Krishangiri flatly refused. The old man threatened to re-open the case and left. (The gloomy side of out of court settlement)

The next 2-3 months were gruelling for Mr. Krishangiri as he kept anticipating a court notice, which thankfully never came.

For the aquaintance, well, lets say they are not friends anymore.

So guys think twice before lending your vehicle to some irresponsible bloke next time.

Story 2.
Night time. Crashed a Xansa party (Pancard club Baner road) to pick up a friend who was not exactly sloshed, but, lets say not walking in a straight line.
Guess what, he wanted to drive. It was my car registered in dad's name. I refused in a nice manner. He sulked the whole time till we got home. To this day we are not in that good terms. I mean we talk when we are in the pack of old friends, but never one to one.

So there we go. This is a big big decision to make whenever a friend or even a relative asks for such favours.
At one side there is the whole ordeal and the other side are sour relations.

People need to know/understand the protocol of
'I don't drive your vehicle and you don't drive mine'

Over to you guys.

Guess What.

I never ever allow anyone to "touch" any controls in my vehicle, let alone drive. I have seen a couple of my friends who get a kick ripping apart a nice beauty owned by other friends.

Its literally like ruining the beauty.

Some people think I have issues with sharing.

I think they are stupid.

Ohh happy to know there are many who think like me:)

Pervez that was a sad experience for your friend!

Since i owned my first bike till this date have been very possessive with my vehicles! because of this have been exposed to peoples taunts.

Though there are few who have the privilege to drive my car and ride bike, last week one of them lost the privilege...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 1452241)
last week one of them lost the privilege...

Shucks, sorry to open a week old wound, but, did he bang it or scratch it ?

A lot of friends have offered me a drive in their car. I always refuse and tell them that since I can't give my car to anyone, I don't drive anyone elses car too.

Well, when I had a bike I lived in a hostel for 6 years. Did not mind sharing with close friends, and similarly, I could have my pick from friends' rides. Thankfully, no problems till date (bike is still in running condition after 11 years). Am more careful with my car though. Ultimately it is not about whether, but about who. I do not mind driving somebody else's car, but only a trusty friend and even more cautiously then if I were driving my own. Same applies to anyone wanting to drive mine. And I ride shotgun:D

Pervez, that was a really sad incident.

Well giving a car in a case of emergency to a friend is ok, (e.g.) someone is ill & needs immediate attention on a bandh day.

A friend who takes your ride, gets into an accident & does not finally accept the mistake is a stranger so keep a distance. I have friends whom i know very well for the past 10 years, I would definitely give my vehicle to them if they require.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1452260)
Shucks, sorry to open a week old wound, but, did he bang it or scratch it ?

hehe no probs...

he basically dove rashly, there were couple of instances where would have got into serious trouble! it will take some time to digest that:)

Ik i very much agree with "Eddy", one of my uncle believes in the same principal! even i don't borrow others vehicle. prefer to walk or take a bus or tick if i dont have a ride.

Isn't it a lot like walking up to a guy and saying "mind if I have a go at your girlfriend?" lol:

I know it sounds silly but usually that's how uncomfortable I am when someone asks me for a ride on my VFR. I remember once a childhood friend visiting me from the US asked if he could ride my VFR. I refused and what followed was a huge arguement where he simply couldn't believe I refused to allow him ride a bike. He took it to a level of saying I valued machinery more than people etc. I asked him to bugger off. The guy was so pissed off he went back to Chicago and bought a Hayabusa just to get over the hurt. Crazy but true.

Luckily no one ventures to ask for the Packards but they will certainly be politely refused.

Maybe its a kink but I like the feel of the cars and bikes I buy brand new and only I drive them. They feel different. People can't understand. I hesitate to spoil that feeling by letting others drive. I could be delusional about this but I kind of enjoy the crisp feeling of cars that only are used to me driving

Part of this hesitation also stems from the fact that I've seen two bikes belonging to other friends totalled by a casual friend riding. Even here I see people abusing bikes when borrowed. Over revving them, clutches burning I think its so in poor taste to borrow someone else's machinery and abuse it.

There's a strange flipside to all of this. Most people I meet realise soon how careful I am with cars/bikes and how I never abuse my ride. I guess it instantly inspires confidence in them and they end up wanting me to drive their machinery for feedback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKG (Post 1452329)
Isn't it a lot like walking up to a guy and saying "mind if I have a go at your girlfriend?"

He took it to a level of saying I valued machinery more than people etc. I asked him to bugger off. The guy was so pissed off he went back to Chicago and bought a Hayabusa just to get over the hurt. Crazy but true.

I too feel very bad when people ask for my vehicles. It actually angers me. Not that I have not driven other's cars/bikes, but I take extra care when I am driving their automotive possessions. The world think exactly the opposite, if its others' car/bike, they make sure they abuse it.

The words like you value machinery more than people are used to emotionally blackmail someone. My replies are " Is our friendship/relationship so cheap that we have to evaluate it over machinery ? " and " machines are more faithful and reliable than humans ".
The humans who speak " value machinery more than humans " are very self centered and indisciplined humans IMHO ( from my experience ).

When I was a novice with bikes, my best buddy was a bike and car nut. He knew in and out of the vehicles, drove everything he could get hold on. I didn't mind giving my new bike to him. Because he was a master at running in engines. By doing this, I was sure the vehicle will have a very good post - running life. Most of my riding and driving skills have been inherited through him.

BUT, he was the only one I gave the bike to. Others swore on me for not lending them. They didn"t give a hoot to others property and didn't show any respect whatsoever by driving irresponsibly. It didn't make any sense to lend them something which you are sure will not be in the original condition.

So, my first answer will always be no.

Lohith - agree with you on borrowing other vehicles.

That is one sad story Prince! I feel for Mr.Krishnagiri. But, since it is a bike, did'nt the old man recognize the person who was driving the vehicle? When he can notice the vehicle number, would'nt he have seen atleast the shirt/features of the person driving?

But, I have never had friends who came to me and asked for driving my car casually. Yes, I have loaned my car to friends who were really in need and who I am very confident that they are good drivers. There are instances where I had sat in the passenger seat to let my friends drive the car in long drives for they wanted to feel driving my car. But I will be extremely careful with drivers who I know are rash.

Nainar

Quote:

Originally Posted by anainar (Post 1452363)
But, since it is a bike, did'nt the old man recognize the person who was driving the vehicle? When he can notice the vehicle number, would'nt he have seen atleast the shirt/features of the person driving?
Nainar

It were the onlookers/by standers who gave him the number. Yes, he (rider) had an argument with the people around and refused to treat the old man. He zoomed off the scene saying 'Do whatever you want'. (per the old man)

What I don't understand is people who will ask for a drive in your vehicles, then proceed to rip it. And generally, the number of people wishing to drive your car is directly proportional to the amount of love you've given it and the money you've spent on it.