Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2009, 14:56   #1
BHPian

Octavia on Chennai Banglore Highway...

Hi guys,

My friend got a used Ikon last week. 1.3 2005 Flair Silver done 35000 kms. It was me who had helped him along the process as this was his first car. This was on Friday and he wanted to test the vehicle on a long drive. And i suggested a drive till Vellore on Sunday with temple visits in vellore and kanchipuram. He agreed and we started at 7 am sharp. The whole day a pleasant experience with a unscheduled visit to Yelagiri hills. The whole day changed while returning that night, all because of a Skoda Octavia.

I was at the wheel. This Octavia guy was doing something like 110 - 115. Though i could not see the driver i could see couple of kids in the back seat. I overtook him just before the toll at Walaja. I was doing a steady 120. All the lanes of the toll was free and i chose the right most one which would give a fast pass as i had got a multiple entry ticket. This guy races in front of me and enters the same lane. Strike one. I kept my cool, this was a near perfect for me with right mix of religious and adventurous activities and also we had great food all day, so dint want to spoil the day getting into a fight. Moreover i respected the car. Octavia is one of my fav. cars and i knew its capabilities at speeds. He was paying up money and i guess he gave in a 500rs note and the counter attendant was taking time to tender change. So, i just reversed and took the next lane and with just the wave of the multiple entry token i was allowed to cross the toll.

Again i was having a conversation with my friend from my school days, we were remembering the good old days from school college. There was a truck in the left lane and with a couple of dippers of the headlights I was about cross him, and out of nowhere, this skoda comes in the left lane and cuts into the right lane. Strike two. This pissed me off, my friend suggested we will have chai and cool of. I said no lets overtake him and my friend said why spoil a great day because of a 'Sallipaya' (Madurai slang for Silly/Cheap fellow). I agreed. We stop, near Vellagate (Kanchipuram Bypass) and have a cup of chai (hot water in my friends opinion) and in 4 mins we are off again.

Clear roads ahead - i was doing 120 - 130. We were passing the Rajiv Gandhi Memorial, we both were happy to see the huge Indian Tri Color fluttering
majestically in the brisk winds. In the Sriperambatur bypass we see the 'Sallipaya' again. I over take him again and proceed to the toll. He does the same thing he did in the previous 2 occasions. He cut me and went into the toll lane and more over he lowered his window and showed the the finger. Strike three. And he is out.

Out of the toll i chase him, he tries to out run me. But he is not as capable as his car. He floors the pedal when there is no one in front but lows down to over take trucks even when right lanes are free. So, i coax the 1.3L Rocam engine of my Ikon to be brisk and chase him down. Overtake him in front of the Hyundai factory at about 145km. I roll down my window to give him a mighty stare and the windows of the skoda follow suit and rolls down. And there is the shock of my trip waiting. It was not a Skoda Octavia Guy but a Skoda Octavia Girl not one but 2 women. I am totally taken back. But my anger dint die seeing the fairer sex. I gave a expression of annoyance and without waiting for her response surged ahead.

After the little race, we were feeling hungry and the Highway Motel just before Ponnamalle was too inviting to give a miss. We parked our car and went into the Motel order couple of dosas and Masala milk. And our love affair with the Skoda ladies hadn't ended just yet. The two ladies marched in with the 2 kids in tow, looked at us and walked past us. I thought they dint recognize us. We finished the dinner and saw the Skoda backing out from the parking just next to our Ikon. My friend asks for a smoke, as i dont smoke i proceed near the car. I notice a good gash near the rear door. I jus was speechless. My friends finishes his puff and comes near the car and sees the gash and his face sulked. I felt so let down. I dint know if the Skoda did this to the Ikon or even if the Skoda did it, whether they did it on purpose. Or whether any other car which was parked had done it. But on the whole i felt responsible. Now the car is getting dry dented and will be painted maro.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Archish that was a bad experience and on part of the ladies (Skoda) that was very sad and dangerous attitude!

Be happy the day ended with a "gash" also you guys handled the situation well!

lastly am sure you would have missed your Seina & Innova

Last edited by lohithrao : 14th September 2009 at 15:09.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

How bad was the damage, can you post a pic ?
Old 14th September 2009, 17:34   #4
BHPian

Quite frankly I am more worried that the skoda morons had two kids along with them. Sheer stupidity. Such people who put innocent kids lives at risk should be put behind bars for ever and to imagine such irresponsiblity from women is indigestible. Also i understand your view point but if you ask me i would have backed off without giving a chase especially since you already knew that you saw kids in the car.
Old 14th September 2009, 18:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quite sad. Going by the finger you got, my money is on the Octavia ladies.

Did you get their reg number? Give us a detailed description of the car.
Old 14th September 2009, 18:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Hi guys,

After the little race, we were feeling hungry and the Highway Motel just before Ponnamalle was too inviting to give a miss. We parked our car and went into the Motel order couple of dosas and Masala milk. And our love affair with the Skoda ladies hadn't ended just yet. The two ladies marched in with the 2 kids in tow, looked at us and walked past us. I thought they dint recognize us. We finished the dinner and saw the Skoda backing out from the parking just next to our Ikon. My friend asks for a smoke, as i dont smoke i proceed near the car. I notice a good gash near the rear door. I jus was speechless. My friends finishes his puff and comes near the car and sees the gash and his face sulked. I felt so let down. I dint know if the Skoda did this to the Ikon or even if the Skoda did it, whether they did it on purpose. Or whether any other car which was parked had done it. But on the whole i felt responsible. Now the car is getting dry dented and will be painted maro.
Oh god just reading your post made my blood boil , how much more irresponsible people can be with kids in the car pulling stunts like these. But if you have the time and patience you can find out who this is from the toll registers which are computerised. You may have to grease some palms but that would pay off your repairs.
Old 14th September 2009, 20:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Without sounding de-ragatory,I've seen a few women drive around as if they'r the only ones worthy of using the roads.Many such characters in B'lore, and a handful in Mumbai. Had a few exeriences myself, so now I tend to keep far far away from such women who have no respect what-so-ever for life or machine.
Old 14th September 2009, 20:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Also i understand your view point but if you ask me i would have backed off without giving a chase especially since you already knew that you saw kids in the car.
I suppose if he had backed off, the ladies would have done the same to another car. it wouldnt have mattered...nutters they are.
Old 14th September 2009, 20:55   #9
BHPian

I face this daily on my route to work on expressway, I usually travel at speeds of 110-120kmph early in the morning and this lady almost on daily basis overtakes my car at 130-140kmph in her ANHC.
And while overtaking she gets her car very close to rear of the car she overtakes and then just gets into the slip streams and overtakes.
I must admit, she is a excellent driver.
Old 15th September 2009, 08:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I felt so let down.
This makes a sad reading.

In a way this also exposes our weakness.

I presume all T-BHPians are law-abiding, fun-loving folks who love their cars.

It is not uncommon to engage in a small, short race to evaluate the technical aspects of a driver+machine combination - under 200% safe environs.

But to end up with even a dent is un-acceptable and not in the spirit of things here.

May be the ladies (or whoever did that) found our weakness - of how much we love our machines - and hit us where it hurts most !
Old 15th September 2009, 08:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We stop, near Vellagate (Kanchipuram Bypass) and have a cup of chai (hot water in my friends opinion) and in 4 mins we are off again.
May be you should have had one more hot water. Sad to hear the end. But what to do, we are always surrounded by such elements.
Old 15th September 2009, 08:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sad about the car. Hope it wasnt a major dent work. If you had noted the Skoda's number you could have tried tracking it down.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
If you had noted the Skoda's number you could have tried tracking it down.
Check with 'hrags' - he drives on this route often (you can meet him often at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...e-old-new.html ) - may be he has seen this Octavia.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

One colleague refers to this competition he got once. He has an ANHC, and this black ANHC comes and waits beside him at a signal. The two wheeler in between knocks on his driver side window, he rolls it down, and the lady in the car says "lets race" to him. :P
He did and thankfully it was at 11 in the night on GST road, so without endangering too much traffic. I guess they were hot on each others tails till he went off to velcheri road from Saidapet and she went straight on Mount Road.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:31   #15
BANNED

I too have seen a few girls/ladies driving rashly in Bangalore. It is just an indication of them venting their frustration at the others on the road. I let them pass and stay away from them due to 2 reasons.

1. In case I chase them and they end up doing something stupid, it could cause damage to anyone and everyone on the road.
2. In case they intend to make an issue out of it by informing the cops or collecting people near them, public sympathy is more towards ladies which will lead to a partial desicion and probably a scuffle.

All said and done, such behavior is completely unexplainable and unwarranted for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks