Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 12:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto

Have driven to most of the places in India by Road so thought of going to a place where we had never been and after about a weeks thought zeroed in on "MC LEOD GUNJ".

For those who do not know "MC LEOD GUNJ" , it is in HImachal and the residence of HH Dalai Lama.

Took leaves on Thu and Friday , wifey could manage only friday ( we both have sat and sun official offs ) .

The Travellers - Me and My Wifey ( pics would follow )

The Machine - Alto ( lot of pics would follow)

Distance - Little over 500 Kms from Delhi.

Destination - "MC LEOD GUNJ" in Himachal

Start date and time - 17th Sept 11:30 am

End date and time - 21st sept 2:30 am

Preparation

Took the road map from mapmyindia.com. Had a squeaking left axle , reverse light not working , non - working wiper wash - Got all the 3 things fixed in afternoon. Tanked up my ride and checked for air pressure.

Started from Delhi late night as wife had a working day that day. We did not have any problem till Chandigarh however the map got really confusing once we reached Chandigarh so we decided to find our own way , luckily there was not problem and we went on .We soon lost our way and accidently took the road for Dharamshala via the Manali route ( which later proved to be 50 kms longer than the original road via UNA Phew!!).

Took few pictures on the way but the quality was not that good due to darkness. Here are few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto1.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto2.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto3.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto4.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto5.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto6.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto7.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto8.jpg  

Old 21st September 2009, 13:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely pictures reflecting car's interior and the signboards...let the travelogue begin!!
Old 21st September 2009, 13:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Few more pictures soon after the sun shined in the morning , this is on the way to Dharmashala via the manali road.

Caught some clouds in the morning while wifey was sleeping in the car.

The weather was pretty pleasant and we were already about 300 Kms away from Delhi.

Also thought of doing some photo shoot of the car with the beautiful weather in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto10.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto11.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto12.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto13.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto14.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto15.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto16.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto17.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto18.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 21st September 2009, 15:00   #4

Hi,
Lovely pictures indeed, In fact i am planning a trip during coming weekeds, It will start from Noida, Mc-LeodGanj never came into the thoughts may be because of recent Strikes and un-rest in the region, Do let us know more about the place, is it the right time to go there and placess of interest nearby.
Old 21st September 2009, 16:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well it's quite a peaceful place with no signs of any unrest , also this is the off-season so you would get accomodation at a very reasonable rate ( depending on your bargaining power).

There are not many places around but the ones which are looked pretty good and soothing for the mind. I will post more pictures and details maybe tonight or early morning tomorrow once i get some time.

Here is a teaser though
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-teaser.jpg  

Old 21st September 2009, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingstart View Post
Hi,
Lovely pictures indeed, In fact i am planning a trip during coming weekeds, It will start from Noida, Mc-LeodGanj never came into the thoughts may be because of recent Strikes and un-rest in the region, Do let us know more about the place, is it the right time to go there and placess of interest nearby.
McLeodganj is one of my favorite places - have been there several times - always peaceful. The Buddhist culture permeates most aspects of living making it a rather easygoing place.

I was there last April, at the height of the anti China protests - I was woken up by someone knocking on my door at 12am. On checking, found that it was a monk checking if i wanted to be part of a candlelight vigil - thats how it is!
Old 21st September 2009, 18:02   #7
BHPian

Cool man, now I am hooked to this travelogue as this is the destination I have in mind for the 2nd October long weekend.
Old 21st September 2009, 18:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Cool man, now I am hooked to this travelogue as this is the destination I have in mind for the 2nd October long weekend.
Looks like Harish has triggered a chain reaction of sorts to visit McLeod-Gunj,
Hey guys do let me know if any one else planning a trip to DharamShala/McLeod-Gunj,
It has become a serious contender(thanks to the pics posted) in my list of places for holidaying. May be I see you there in coming 26-28th or 2nd Oct wala weekend.

Harish, Amip how many days do you think one should have to enjoy the place fully and do let us know about the climate.
Old 21st September 2009, 18:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

As i had taken a longer route accidently and was desperately looking for a familiar place towards Dharmshala , i came across this board saying Dharmashala 153 Kms to wards left. To my relief we were on the right track but through a longer route.

The car still had lots of fuel left in it for me to even look for another pump on my way as this route was not very well inhabitated.

Saw clouds under us while crossing one of the bridge and also came across very bad roads via this road. Also saw a very interesting looking tree so decided to take a picture with it with a view of the valley behind.

Came across Jwalamukhi - a holy place to visit which i later came to know when my wife told me about it , so i decided to take a snap with the milestone just for the records , the road started getting better at this stretch.

@lordofgondor - pm me if you want any details in specific which i might miss here.

Here are few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto20.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto21.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto22.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto-23.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto24.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto25.jpg  

Delhi - Mcleod Gunj - Delhi on a Alto-alto26.jpg  

Last edited by harishnayak : 21st September 2009 at 18:59. Reason: Added few lines
Old 21st September 2009, 21:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingstart View Post
Looks like Harish has triggered a chain reaction of sorts to visit McLeod-Gunj,
Hey guys do let me know if any one else planning a trip to DharamShala/McLeod-Gunj,
It has become a serious contender(thanks to the pics posted) in my list of places for holidaying. May be I see you there in coming 26-28th or 2nd Oct wala weekend.

Harish, Amip how many days do you think one should have to enjoy the place fully and do let us know about the climate.
It really depends on the kind of holiday you are looking for - if you like to visit the tourist hotspots even 2 days can be enough. But for me - I'd say 4-5 days, any visit to McLeod is incomplete without a quick day hike to Triund. Dharmkot is also a nice village to spend an evening.

My idea of a holiday in the mountains are hikes coupled with lazy times. The temperature in Oct should be quite pleasant - it rarely gets very cold.
Old 21st September 2009, 21:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well my idea of this vacation was to take complete rest in the hills with not too much of driving around ( which i generally do ).

It was great and very soothing all the time that i was there.
Old 21st September 2009, 22:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Start date and time - 17th Sept 11:30 am....

...Started from Delhi late night as wife had a working day that day...
Two contrasting statements!

So, you followed Manali route (NH-21) till Ghagas ( Bilaspur) & then turned left on NH-88 via Hamirpur, Nadaun, Jwalaji.

Good pictures! Valleys in Dhauladhar range are my favourite destination!
Old 21st September 2009, 23:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Two contrasting statements!

So, you followed Manali route (NH-21) till Ghagas ( Bilaspur) & then turned left on NH-88 via Hamirpur, Nadaun, Jwalaji.

Good pictures! Valleys in Dhauladhar range are my favourite destination!
Thats 11:30 pm not am , good catch there. Yes , i exactly followed that route. It proved to be 50 odd kms longer than the UNA route.
Old 21st September 2009, 23:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah well, Harish on the move again! Bring on the momos... (the edible ones, Harish, not your steering wheel!)

Edit: Mods please move this to the "Travelogues" sub-forum.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st September 2009 at 23:19.
Old 21st September 2009, 23:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Ah well, Harish on the move again! Bring on the momos... (the edible ones, Harish, not your steering wheel!)

Edit: Mods please move this to the "Travelogues" sub-forum.
You bet sir , Had been to Agra and Mathura last week but not worth starting a travelogue on that.

I wish i had one in my car , to tell you i did not have even a single momo there as i rather prefer other things while on the move.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks