Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

First get well soon. Second it was incredibly stupid to drive beyond abilities. I know I am being judgemental but that's what it is coming across.

From the last picture all I can conjecture is a case of loosing control due to aquaplaning. The crest in the background and then a shallow dip seems a receipe for water accumulation. And the tyre skid marks show you loosing control right about there. That's my theory.

The car damage seems to be all repairable and more superficial. The floor board is not smashed. Only central pillar, roof and door are needing replacement/repair.

Last edited by sudev : 22nd September 2009 at 09:57. Reason: Spelling
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:01   #17
BHPian

Thank god you are saved!!!God has some plans for you else you would not have been typing this thread.I am sure in some time you will recover the financial loss of a lakh or so.
My suggestion, talk to the surveyor and claim a total loss.Nowadays they do not give total loss but tell you to keep the car plus some money.This amount can easily come upto a 1 lakh 20 thousand or so.On selling the car as scrap you can get another 1 lakh easily.Also towing charges will be paid by the insurance company.So effectively you can get around 2 lakhs or so after all expenses.So your loss would be maximum of a lakh considering the age of the car.Adding a lakh more you can purchase a used baleno or upgrade to a different car. Get well soon and let this be a lesson to keep speeds lower when it rains.Accidents do happen and that is why they are called accidents.Let us do our bit to avoid them.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 22nd September 2009 at 10:02.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

oops that looks bad!

anyways heavy rains..late night driving and high speed = disaster!

btw above 100 on this road even in day time in dry condition is also asking for trouble!

Last edited by lohithrao : 22nd September 2009 at 10:16.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:20   #19
BHPian

oh, i am sorry about the accident and glad that all are ok.

high speeds, bad conditions is a bad idea like other have said.
i drive more cautiously in wet and rainy conditions. Also, I dont undertake night journeys, unless it is an emergency.

Speedy recovery to you. Irony is, there is a 'drive safe' sticker on your car and you were not following it yourself !

Get well soon

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:30   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
btw above 100 on this road even in day time in dry condition is also asking for trouble!
+1. Can't believe someone would be that daft to try those speeds on that road. Forget the rain and time.

You should be thanking your stars man. Get well soon and put the incident behind you.

But take it as a lesson for the future.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Man thats a bad crash. Glad to know there was no permanent loss of limb or life.

As sudev said, aquaplaning seems to be the cause there.

Also, are those bridgestones your car is running on??
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:33   #22
BANNED

Buddy,

Sad to see your car , but firstly you must thank your lucky stars man, everyone of you are fine, just got away with bruises and a light damage.

Rain, Overnight drive, sleep,speed & bad roads, phew a perfect recipe for disaster.

Well you still have'nt explained how it all happened, will be a learning lessons to few speed freaks over here.

Get well soon, and hope to see you finish your Goa trip.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 22nd September 2009 at 10:35.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

I'd rather call it a "Lucky Night" coz inspite of doing all the wrong things, you still walked away with minor injuries and no injuries to your passengers.

Shan2nu
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:41   #24
BHPian

Get well soon buddy, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Like your lucky co-passangers, where you also wearing your seat bealt???

Another grim reminder that there is a huge difference between driving in city and highways, combined with heavy night rains.

Last edited by sajands : 22nd September 2009 at 10:42. Reason: had to add another line
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thats a bad crash. Its actually a miracle that you and your passengers got out of this alive and safe. Seat belts saved you. Not a good idea to drive triple digits speeds on stormy nights. Hope you recover soon.

Where is the car right now?
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:53   #26
BHPian

Man.. that was scary. I would say you are pretty lucky this time around. From the deep impact on the tree I would say Baleno construction saved you guys. You should have known that when it’s raining the sense of grip that you get on your car is just an illusion. As the techies would say Aquaplaning will give you a false sense of grip, you won’t notice till your car is spinning out of control. I am not sure how you went in to the spin with no traffic on the road. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Past midnight, it was raining cats and dogs, and you were doing 130-140 with occasional bursts of 160 kph? No condolences.
Exactly, It was raining heavily and you were doing 160 kph . Even if you have best tires of world you should not have crossed 80 Kmph in these rains. 80 is also something beyond safe speed.

No body can predict what damages rain can cause on cars.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:12   #28
BHPian

Thank God you are safe. Indian Roads are not always constructed keeping in mind the safety of its users. Nobody can predict what these roads can throw at you. Drive safely.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:38   #29
BHPian

Glad to hear that you all are safe and no major injuries to anyone.
This surely looks like a case of the car aquaplaning due to the rain and maybe some standing water.
Going forward, kindly do drive safely especially during rains on our Indian roads.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:44   #30
BHPian

@akas - sad to see the Baleno knocked up so bad but really glad that you people got away with minor injuries. I personally have a theory for driving in such conditions - "When nature shifts to topgear, you better shift to low gear". Wishing you a speedy recovery & drive safe.
Ranjith
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks