Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2009, 21:22   #106
BHPian

Been doing long distance for more than 20 years now. Back then roads were pretty bad and one used to see a lot of totalled trucks on the way. I once counted 17 accidents on the Hyderabad Cochin route. Fast forward to 2009. 4 lane roads and the truck drivers seem to have smartened up. Not a single truck laid up on the entire 3000 km trip from Hyderabad to Cochin and back. However saw increasing number of car accidents -each one more innovative than the last.
Old 5th December 2009, 23:43   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
You bet. They are so bureaucratic.

You are a seasoned and a proven long distance non-stop driver. But Sometimes things go out of control. One accident I had was in 1999 and due to the same aquaplaning thing. The M800 bonnet crashed under a bus's rear.

All the Best.
That's one complement from a seasoned traveler.
Old 10th December 2009, 19:03   #108
BHPian

Akas,

You seem to have a lot of faith in your driving skills. Maybe completely justified. You also seem to have a lot of faith in others' driving skills. Case gets a bit weaker considering how many trucks park without putting on their parking lamps. And you have LOTS of faith in our PWD. That takes a mighty leap of faith.

Driving at close to 50m/s at night in a car that has a braking distance of 30m at 25m/s (on dry roads) does not seem overly sensible. A pothole or dip would be on you in a flash. You're lucky you came out alive.
s_yajaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2009, 20:34   #109
BHPian

Update on 10th Dec 2009 (I'm puting these updates as it'll be helpful to others, how much time wasted due to poor planing in body shop)

Today went to body shop. Car was in same shape as 2 days before. Car parts removed by one mechanic named Ismail. I was told Ismail will dedicately work on my Car. Suddenly there is no trace of Ismail and they said Ismail sick and then they told Ismail left job.

Now other guy named Imran was working on tinkering, today i saw there is no work on my car asked body shop incharge and he told me it seems Imran also left job. He has lot of tension as Maruti guys conducted some servey and they were asking why this car is in almost same state since so many days.

Incharge told me both the employees worked on my car were working for 10 years and they have habbit of disappearing suddenly and the report back after a month or so. I asked what the next step, he said they called some new guys from other Maruti Bodyshop, and they will comme on 12th Dec and start dedicately working. It'll take another 10 days for tinkering and 10 more days for painting.

If everything goes as per what he said (which i'm doubtful) then i may get my car on new year eve.
Old 10th December 2009, 20:35   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_yajaman View Post
Akas,

You seem to have a lot of faith in your driving skills. Maybe completely justified. You also seem to have a lot of faith in others' driving skills. Case gets a bit weaker considering how many trucks park without putting on their parking lamps. And you have LOTS of faith in our PWD. That takes a mighty leap of faith.

Driving at close to 50m/s at night in a car that has a braking distance of 30m at 25m/s (on dry roads) does not seem overly sensible. A pothole or dip would be on you in a flash. You're lucky you came out alive.
Yes I did and I do have faith in my driving skill.
Old 21st December 2009, 11:56   #111
BHPian

I took these pictures on 19th Dec 2009. Work In Progress. They had issues with allignment, however it's solved now. They were doing "Spot Weldings" when i was taking pictures in my Mobile Camera.

That unlucky night-image000.jpg

That unlucky night-image001.jpg

That unlucky night-image002.jpg
Old 21st December 2009, 14:35   #112
BHPian

Akas,

Has the workshop assured you of the structural integrity of your car? The pictures on the first page showed a badly damaged "A" pillar. Not sure how badly damaged the "B" pillar was. I would drive this car well within limits. Car shells are subject to fairly high bending and torsion stresses. Given the state your "A" pillar was in, you don't want to take a chance.

Srivathsa
Old 21st December 2009, 17:22   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Akas,

Has the workshop assured you of the structural integrity of your car? The pictures on the first page showed a badly damaged "A" pillar. Not sure how badly damaged the "B" pillar was. I would drive this car well within limits. Car shells are subject to fairly high bending and torsion stresses. Given the state your "A" pillar was in, you don't want to take a chance.

Srivathsa
Pillar A, B both are getting replaced not reapaired. So i think everything should be OK.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:29   #114
Senior - BHPian

Good Lord!!!

Thank God you can still see the big bad world...

What where you thinkin?
Heavy rains, high speed and late night...

Heady mix to doomsland ;-)

Just count your lucky stars that you are where you are today!!!

Get well soon buddy.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:31   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Pillar A, B both are getting replaced not reapaired. So i think everything should be OK.
Akas,

I have seen many badly battered cars getting repaired and then sold to unsuspecting buyers at a deal. If things are done the way they are supposed to be done there will not be any issues in getting the rigidity you need.

I have also gone through this structural rigidity discussion for long before gifting my last car to my mech, and trust me he had that fixed and now running fine. You cannot tell if there was a problem ever.

You have been a wise man to take this decission of rebuilding her. Had i kept my first love and gave her a second life i would have been a happier man, to this date I miss my first car a lot.

Pramod
Old 21st December 2009, 17:56   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Akas,

I have seen many badly battered cars getting repaired and then sold to unsuspecting buyers at a deal. If things are done the way they are supposed to be done there will not be any issues in getting the rigidity you need.

I have also gone through this structural rigidity discussion for long before gifting my last car to my mech, and trust me he had that fixed and now running fine. You cannot tell if there was a problem ever.

You have been a wise man to take this decission of rebuilding her. Had i kept my first love and gave her a second life i would have been a happier man, to this date I miss my first car a lot.

Pramod
Thanks Pramod for your inputs. Yes i think it should not be any issue if all alignments are proper as all my parts are replaced. But i'll be cautious on those sharp turns while driving.
Old 21st December 2009, 18:46   #117
Senior - BHPian

I read this now, Man especially around Kumsi and between Shimoga-sagar lot of accidents take place because there are too many blind curves. Actually that highway was ordinary road and later they converted the road into NH without proper design. They should have straightened all curves by now. Last 10 years I hardly see any progress in the work, it would have been best national highway in Karnataka by now.
there will be few small animals moments in night and people judge it for a devil and topple!

Even after protest NHAI is doing nothing in that area!! Anyway thats luckiest night for you! Get well soon and don't keep too much of sentiment on your car.

Ravi.

PS Please be careful next time while night driving before and after Amavasya night, Take my word+ve I am not discouraging you. Few precautions might help you to drive miles after miles.

Last edited by ravibhat : 21st December 2009 at 18:50.
Old 21st December 2009, 18:56   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Akas,

+1 to that. As good as you feel about having the requisite grip and confidence to match, braking distances are acutely increased when driving in conditions such as you did.

Stay safe Akas.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:30   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post

PS Please be careful next time while night driving before and after Amavasya night, Take my word+ve I am not discouraging you. Few precautions might help you to drive miles after miles.
Ravi, How did you know that it was Amavasya night. Actually that's what local people in Kumsi also told me.
Old 21st December 2009, 21:52   #120
Senior - BHPian

I checked hindu calendar, moment I saw this thread because I felt accident took place without a reason!
My analysis shows a day before and day after there will be before effect and side effect of Amavasya I know this is traditional rule but there is secret scientific reason behind it which get affected to few people on particular days. Such blind/freek accidents happen on these days.

People around that area are fed up with too many accidents. They have setup few GODs side of highway to reduce the accidents. I hope such small setup won't get turned into Temples ( another bad culture by wild people) which would trouble widening of roads. Especially that highway was built in concrete long time back and it has lot of history behind it. However there are many accidents happened in day time too.

I advise avoid night driving in that highway because scientifically its speed limit is max. 80kmph even in Day time. This is my personal feeling after travelling there for many years. In few places front visibility is limited to max. 20feet as there are sudden up and downs in the road. BUT I love that nature!!

Problem areas in that highway: between Tumkur-Tiptur-Arasikere. Around Birur. Around Kumsi-Anandapuram. Many curves are fixed but still few curves in ghat section after JOG. Work progress is very slow which is bad part.

I think by 2020 that highway will become 4 lane I am waiting for that.

Please don't feel bad: My suggestion If vehicle is back after repair, then within a week before taking her on highway place Hanuman idol on dashboard and get pooja done in Ganapati temple!

Every road in India has its own limitation. Lets understand it better and drive! This word is not to hurt you since your accident is just because of you fell sleep normally and lost control not because of curve nor any animal crossing nor blinded by on coming vehicle. Thats why naturally you are survived.

Lets pray for your full recovery and speedy recovery of your car.

Ravi.

PS just a wild guess I read your friends were wearing seat belts may be they got scared after you crossed 120kmph LOL

Last edited by ravibhat : 21st December 2009 at 22:07.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks