Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 12:07   #31
BHPian

Overtaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Even on blind corners I always slow down considerably before overtaking. .
I thought the rule is . Never overtake on the corners, from the left side & uphill.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:12   #32
BHPian

Dead man's handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Why the ghats, I have seen the express bus drivers of the former Periyar Transport buses do this on the NH 45! They will place a flat stone on the accelerator pedal and sit cross legged in their seat, but will not sleep!

I have also heard of some loco pilots do this on the trains. There seems to be a dead man's pedal on the locos which the pilot has to press at periodic intervals else the engine will automatically stop. A safety feature, in case he falls asleep or suffers a heart attack. Seems some of these guys will place a weight on this to keep it engaged.

I read a report of a train crash in the US where the finding was the driver placed a tool-Box on the dead man's handle and then he had a heart attack or something to that effect.
Old 24th September 2009, 12:23   #33
BHPian

Its a small incident. happens every now and then with each one of us. doesn`t need much discussion guys.
Old 24th September 2009, 13:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

If its a car, then i just flash lights and go away but with trucks and lorries i never take chance, i first honk for 2-3 secs, flash my lights and then go away. Doesnt matter whether the honking is causing noise pollution, life of my family is more important than such thoughts.

The flashing of lights and overtaking is if someone ahead is awake and educated, dont take chance with trucks, have seen those 18-20 wheelers carrying cars which automatically make me slow down.
These truckers sideswipe and go ahead, always blow horn to be on safe side, noone knows when they change lanes.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I assumed that lorry driver will maintain his lane.
Its probably because of the paranoid that I am, I always assume the opposite. I don't trust any driver to stick to a single lane and I'm always anticipating them to try funny things on the road. This kinda helps me stay alert most times in the city and on the highway.

But I can fully understand what you must have gone through in that split second of seeing the truck move towards the left. Scary thought.... :S

~Morgul
Old 8th October 2009, 14:16   #36
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul View Post
Its probably because of the paranoid that I am, I always assume the opposite. I don't trust any driver to stick to a single lane and I'm always anticipating them to try funny things on the road. This kinda helps me stay alert most times in the city and on the highway.

But I can fully understand what you must have gone through in that split second of seeing the truck move towards the left. Scary thought.... :S

~Morgul
+1 to that

Always assume that every other driver on the road (especially the one you'r overtaking and the one coming in the opposite lane at you) is drunk, deaf, dumb, short-sighted, distracted, etc. It makes you concentrate a whole lot more, but in the long run it's much safer.

Also, when overtaking on a median'd-highway, always get into the lane of intended overtaking at least 50 metres before you reach the vehicle. Then begin your honking and light flashing. This allows the truck driver to actually spot you in his mirrors, and gives him enough time to take the necessary action.
Old 14th October 2009, 03:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think he is referring to the Bangalore route that branches off from Tambaram.
When was this made six lane?
Old 14th October 2009, 07:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
When was this made six lane?
This does have 3 lanes on either sides. And as on every other road, the leftmost lane is used for parking and the amount of mud make it invisible.
Old 14th October 2009, 07:44   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
watashi75 : Rather you should give indication, like sounding your horn and flashing your lights, well ahead of time..
Guys, when you flash your lights, Do NOT show how fast you can switch between beams. Do it slow enough for the other driver to notice the flashes.

I have often noticed that a driver who is flashing his lights will flash at high rate : the faster / more impatient he is, the faster his flashing. Problem is that this will not even be seen by the driver who you are trying to flash. Do it slow, about a second at each level.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:24   #40
BHPian

as a thumb rule do not overtake from left .the flashing of the lights by surprise probably woke the driver up from his slumber and he tried to give way and moved to the left to allow surprise to pass.best is to flash light once or twice and wait for the response from the vehicle in front then point and squirt .
Old 14th October 2009, 09:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, when you flash your lights, Do NOT show how fast you can switch between beams. Do it slow enough for the other driver to notice the flashes.
There is a lot more to flashing right than just the speed. Flashing too slow or too less also may not convey your intention.

During daytime flashing your lights is effective only for oncoming traffic.

At night flashing between high and low may not be visible to the vehicle in front, especially if you are close to the vehicle in front. It is better to switch your lights off and on, or switch between parking and regular lights.

On hill bends, flashing fast or flashing too early before the bend is not effective.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks