Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:48   #1
BHPian

Maruti Omni Accident. 12 youngsters killed

No words !!

more details from HINDU --

The Hindu : Front Page : 12 youngsters killed in accident

12 youngsters killed in accident

Special Correspondent KURNOOL: In a ghastly road accident, 12 persons were killed on the spot when two vehicles collided near Panyam on the National Highway no. 18 in Kurnool district on Tuesday. All the victims were youths hailing from Nandyal in the age group of 18-25 years. They were on a picnic trip to Belum Caves.
According to reports, the two vehicles -- a Scorpio and a Maruti Omni -- collided head-on killing all the passengers in the Omni. The five passengers in the Scorpio sustained injuries. A group of youngsters from Saraswathi Nagar in Nandyal town set out in the ill-fated Maruti van for Belum Caves to enjoy the day after the Ramzan festival.
The Scorpio (KA 34 M 5202), belonging to Karnataka Minister Gali Janardhan Reddy’s business group, was coming from Bellary towards Nandyal. The vehicle was proceeding to Kakanur near Bandi Atmakur transporting helpers for a temple function being sponsored by Mr. Reddy.
The scene presented a pathetic picture with scattered bodies in a pool of blood and others stuck to the mangled remains of the van. The police reached the spot immediately. The van (AP 28 AR 2104) running on authorised LPG kit was believed to have been overloaded and proceeding at a high speed.
The deceased were identified as Chand Basha, Hussain Basha, Sheiksha Vali, Bala Nagesh, Imran, Mastan, Namthulla, Mastan, Younus, Hamid, Mulla Sultan and Sheriff. Additional SP Ravindra Naik, Deputy SP Samay John Rao, RDO Madhavilatha and others visited the spot.
Hyderabad Special Correspondent writes: Transport Minister S. Vijayarama Raju while expressing grief over the tragedy said the department’s preliminary inquiry had revealed that ‘uncontrolled speed’ was the cause of the accident.
The Minister said he had already ordered stringent action against those responsible. Mr. Raju welcomed the announcement of relief of Rs.25,000 each by Housing Minister Shilpa Mohan Reddy and Nandyal MP S.P.Y. Reddy to the victims’ families.

Last edited by Dippy : 24th September 2009 at 15:17.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

What a sad loss of life!

Look at the way the news content is varied between the two report. 'Proceeding at high speed' & 'uncontrolled speed' - no mention of who did that. And now, the Omni was over loaded!

Sad faith!
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, I have to step in here for the defense of the Omni. Let us not be so quick here to blame the Omni for this ghastly accident. I don't think any car, hatch or saloon having the price tag or even double the price tag of the Omni would have survived a head on collision with a Scorpio at high / uncontrolled speed. Vehicles are normally as safe or unsafe as the driver behind the wheel is. Just remember, not even a Mercedes could save Lady Diana ! To all the youths who perished, RIP.
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Hmmm, I have to step in here for the defense of the Omni. Let us not be so quick here to blame the Omni for this ghastly accident. I don't think any car, hatch or saloon having the price tag or even double the price tag of the Omni would have survived a head on collision with a Scorpio at high / uncontrolled speed. Vehicles are normally as safe or unsafe as the driver behind the wheel is. Just remember, not even a Mercedes could save Lady Diana ! To all the youths who perished, RIP.
Well, I must say that the Omni is not a safe vehicle either. There is hardly any metal or space between the driver and the vehicle he might collide with. The chances of being seriously or even fatally injured in an Omni are much higher than other vehicles and I'm referring only to head-on collisions.
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
I think Omni's should no longer be allowed on our highways
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
That Maruti Omni should be banned from Roads, the Most Unsafe vehicle on Indian Roads IMO.
It might be unsafe but it is the cheapest (and therefore only option for some) people carrier we have in India. Let someone build a replacement for it, then we can talk about banning it.
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Well, I must say that the Omni is not a safe vehicle either. There is hardly any metal or space between the driver and the vehicle he might collide with. The chances of being seriously or even fatally injured in an Omni are much higher than other vehicles and I'm referring only to head-on collisions.
I totally agree with this statement. That means you have to be doubly careful when driving the Omni and also anticipate mistakes which the others might make. That also translates into no overloading, no overspeeding and no rash driving at all as any error will prove costly. And if the Omni has to be taken out on the highways, be very careful while overtaking especially on single lane highways which allow two way traffic as the Omni is most vulnerable for a head on collision when negotiating on coming traffic.
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

An Omni with 12 youngsters? If that is not overloading then what is? Basically thats a minimum of 3/4 in the front, 4/5 in the mid seat and 4/5 in the twin side seats at the back!! They were all in the age of 18 - 25 so they are not kids and an Omni packed with some much mass even at moderate speeds would be a disaster in the making.

So so sad. When I read this today morning, I was like trying to figure out how 12 from one vehicle and none from the other. After hearing its an Omni......
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:47   #8
BHPian

It is not fair to blame OMNI for the accident. Overloading with 12 persons is the first mistake. And in India it is a common practice for any vehicle. Any vehicle overloaded from NANO to Mercedes, driven recklessly is a receipe for disaster!
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

complete and utter junk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Must we always jump in to defend our choices - irrespective of however irrational our arguments may sound?

My friend - the Omni's crumple zone is nothing but the driver behind 3mm of metal. I am aghast at your comparison with regular cars.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:25   #10
BHPian

The Omni is an unsafe vehicle that won't pass a safety test in any part of the world. Irrespective of whether there is a substitute ready, BAN THE DAMNED VEHICLE!! In the event of a collision at even moderate speeds, death is imminent.

May the 12 lost souls rest in peace.
Old 24th September 2009, 00:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Must we always jump in to defend our choices - irrespective of however irrational our arguments may sound?

My friend - the Omni's crumple zone is nothing but the driver behind 3mm of metal. I am aghast at your comparison with regular cars.
Totally agreed. Add to that the poorly maintained vehicles and reckless drivers we see in them.. recipe for a disaster. RIP the young souls.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:50   #12
BANNED

The moron in India is the one behind the wheel not the vehicle itself.

What about 2 wheelers? Why don't we ban them too? Everyday i see people riding like morons.

The highest number of deaths in India are probably of 2 wheeler riders. We see 4-5 people on one 2 Wheeler.

By the above logic we should be banning 2 wheelers too.

Clear the mess which is issuing licenses to all. Revamp your Traffic Force, the RTO the judiciary.

We are treating the symptoms not the disease.

If Omni is banned the same people will get on a Rickshaw, or 2 wheelers or some other cheap transport. They will still be hit by a Scorpio driver because we don't follow rules and then we will go about banning the Scorpio cause we have already banned the Omni.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:57   #13
Team-BHP Support

@Spitfire, I remember you posted about a guy wearing a face mask to protect against swine flu but no helmet while riding a bike.

Some people are born stupid, some attain stupidity, some have stupidity thrust on them.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Spitfire;1499259]The moron in India is the one behind the wheel not the vehicle itself.

What about 2 wheelers? Why don't we ban them too? Everyday i see people riding like morons.
quote]
Absolutely Spot on. Some friend here once said "Two Wheels No Brains".. And it applies to everyone on two wheel in India. I just don't see any exceptions. They just don't seem to realize how dangerous it is to drive without sense, even after they meet with any accident.
Who is going to educate them? Chennai, with 70% of vehicles on road being 2 wheelers, is the worst city to drive. They just come form anywhere, turn anywhere, stop anywhere, without looking left or right and if you try to educate them, they come all over you and start a petty fight with nasty slangs. It's always they are right and everyone else is wrong. I just don't understand how could educated individuals behave in such an arrogant way, but thats the way it is here... sigh.. sigh...

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 24th September 2009 at 11:02.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:05   #15
BHPian

I remember of an accident which took place near my house in Coorg. There is a uphill and once you climb with a considerable speed maybe at aroung 100+ the vehicle can go upto aroung 4 kms which downhill. Most of the morons i have seen driving in the same dangerous way.There is a school in my neighbourhood and they have many vehicles which are driven rashly and negligently. One ill fated day a driver driving a Omni floored the vehicle and switched of the ignition and instantly the vehicle was switched off, steering got locked and he went and hit a tree on the right side. He could not apply brake since it was instant. The vehicle was strcuk in the the middle in front side and he lost his both legs with multiple fractures on his hands and what not.The vehicle was totalled. I can say that this is sheer negligence and carelessness and more importantly he was around 21 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks