Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2009, 13:16   #1
BANNED

Mumbai Traffic Updates

Since last 4 days, the traffic on my daily route back in late evenings has been attrocious. Its taking 2.5 to 3 hours to cross 31.4 km distance from my office to home.

The biggest culprit is the never-ending construction work going on for Malad Overbridge on Western Express Highway. And this construction is going on since almost 1.5 years now. God only knows when it'll be completed. Since last 4 days the traffic jam starts right from Jogeshwari & extends till Malad. It takes almost an hour to reach Malad from Andheri.

Read somewhere that in such works, the delays are generally caused by clearing the bills of contractors. Imagine the expenses of all below items:
  • thousands of cars guzzling fuel like anything - Fuel cost
  • time wasted by the people commuting - every hour of them runs into hundreds/ thousands of rupees.
  • the fatigue & adverse health impact caused on this population
  • the pollution due to higher fuel smokes
  • delay in work increases total cost of the project
..so on & so forth..

Is there anyway to reach the authorities to make them understand all these? Any websites, email IDs etc?

The purpose of this thread is not only the above but to continuously update Mumbai traffic jams in several parts of the city so as the other bhpians who might be planning to travel fro those affected routes can take any other available alternate route.

So, keep updating all info you get on traffic jams in Mumbai.

Mods - tried to search thro' the forum & could not find such thread. If there is one, you can merge this thread with it

Last edited by VahanPujari : 26th September 2009 at 13:17.
Old 26th September 2009, 16:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Although this is not related with Mumbai, the problem of digging is all over India. Out of 365 days in my city, 350 days digging work is going on, literally. They make roads, 4-5 days its OK, then digging work is again done. There is no solution to this. Construction at Jetalpur road in my city is going on since ages.

Which authority you will complain ? Eventually you will end up running from table to table without any solution. This is India.
Again I repeat that the current laws in India are based on the British system, but at that time we were slaves, hence we had to say Sir to the government people. This remains even after we independence. Till we overhaul our legal system, this problem is going to remain. And even if roads are built, put tax on them.

Sometimes I feel that deliberately we are given bad roads. Bad roads = more fuel consumed = more money going to government via the tax on each ltr. of fuel. Bad roads = more wear and tear = more parts replacement = more tax collection through service charge ( during vehicle service ), sales tax, etc.
Old 26th September 2009, 22:16   #3
BANNED

My father used to joke on this matter. He used to say that the departnments of Roads & Building (R&B), Electricity & telephone works in tandem & the conversation amongst one another goes like this:

Elecrical/ Telephone Dept (calls R&B) - Is the Road at XYZ area ready?
R&B - No, not yet. Some work is still going on.
Ele / tel Dept - OK.

Some days later..

Elecrical/ Telephone Dept (calls R&B) - Is the Road at XYZ area ready?
R&B - Oh Yes. The road is ready, all the traffic is eased & people are enjoying it.
Ele / tel Dept - Alright then. We've to change some cables & also to add some lines there. Now we'll go there tomorrow
Old 26th September 2009, 23:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Since last 4 days, the traffic on my daily route back in late evenings has been attrocious. Its taking 2.5 to 3 hours to cross 31.4 km distance from my office to home.

The biggest culprit is the never-ending construction work going on for Malad Overbridge on Western Express Highway. And this construction is going on since almost 1.5 years now. God only knows when it'll be completed. Since last 4 days the traffic jam starts right from Jogeshwari & extends till Malad. It takes almost an hour to reach Malad from Andheri.

Read somewhere that in such works, the delays are generally caused by clearing the bills of contractors. Imagine the expenses of all below items:
  • thousands of cars guzzling fuel like anything - Fuel cost
  • time wasted by the people commuting - every hour of them runs into hundreds/ thousands of rupees.
  • the fatigue & adverse health impact caused on this population
  • the pollution due to higher fuel smokes
  • delay in work increases total cost of the project
..so on & so forth..

Is there anyway to reach the authorities to make them understand all these? Any websites, email IDs etc?

The purpose of this thread is not only the above but to continuously update Mumbai traffic jams in several parts of the city so as the other bhpians who might be planning to travel fro those affected routes can take any other available alternate route.

So, keep updating all info you get on traffic jams in Mumbai.

Mods - tried to search thro' the forum & could not find such thread. If there is one, you can merge this thread with it
Dear brother similar situation is with me , I am staying at 7 bunglows and the culprits are this so called metro construction work, these big lords workers are thinking themselves as ambanis think of themselves, just have a look at the speed at which the work is going on and they think trains to be operational in 2010. You will not find any one working on saturdys, sundays as it is a holidays for them. Now compare this with Delhi metro the work used to be and is 24 hrs without halt if it is raining,chilling cold weather, hot weather. I think these Reliance people think and believe in MAGIC and feel that overnight they will have the project completed. If they were not sure and confident to complete the project they must not have started it in the first place, but as usual their greed and our stupid govenment policies,came in between they are also not facing any panalties for delay of the project,
Old 27th September 2009, 02:55   #5
BANNED

Mumbai guys,

Will it do any good if one writes to consumercomplaint website for Malad overbridge?

or is there any other specific website for this bridge or MMRDA/BMC?
Old 28th November 2013, 08:59   #6
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic Updates

Please note the flyover connecting Amar mahal circle / signal (on eastern express highway) going towards Chembur is under renovation. Only one lane available for four wheelers. If you are in a vehicle with low ground clearance it can be very tricky trying to navigate the hurdles on the flyover. The flyover is in ok condition if you are coming from chembur going towards Amarmahal circle.
Old 28th November 2013, 11:52   #7
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic Updates

There is already a thread on Mumbai traffic - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...i-traffic.html

Most Viewed