Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2009, 00:14   #16
BHPian

sad to hear about the car.Look at the brighter side,it was just a pole and not some people standing there.

Hope it will cost you within 1000 rs as from the pictures it seems some tinkering has to be done.
I was also in a same situation when an crazy biker came from nowhere and banged into my car costing me to claim insurance for 25K.

BTW nice sticker.

@sabnyag
Common man.what will you get when you stop the autos in the city,there will be always city buses,crazy bikers and some racers who think they are Schumacher.Would you also stop that.

Think that these auto-wallahs are people and they also have a family to feed.If 20 out of 100 are bad,would you ban the 100 of them or just the 20 of them.

Last edited by jithudigitised : 27th September 2009 at 00:18.
Old 27th September 2009, 00:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
My Dad was driving the M800 last evening for some shopping. On the way he approached a 4-way junction. There is no signal at this place and it is only manually regualted by a cop. My dad had to go straight across the road ahead. The cop stopped all other directions and now it was the turn of my dad to proceed straight. Every one else had stopped. Now this Auto Rickshaw out of nowhere jumps in front of the car and runs across not obeying the policeman.

All my dad could do within that nano second was to swerve a little left to avoid him banging on to the front. Aargh! There was another bang. The rear of the car banged against a steel lamp pole. My dad couldn't stop anywhere as the traffic was piling up. He finished his shopping and told this to me when I returned from work.

I was a little disappointed to see what happened. The rear fender has taken a lot of beating and the door has lost shape. Now I have to start hunting for a body shop.

The Auto driver ? He never knew that he was a cause of such a thing or he didn't care. How many incidents happen like this ? How many are responsible for something they don't think they're a cause of ? There have been incidents where pedestrians run across and a poor biker who brakes hard falls down and hurts himself. The pedestrian runs away as if nothing has happened
People will have to learn one two words here. "Please YIELD"

Posted here are two pictures. The Charging horse is limping now. The moulding on the doors have taken some of the impact. Now there is something rattling inside the door. Hope I don't have to replace the entire door

I spotted Auto rickshaws, opened the thread just to find out if you were from Chennai. Buddy welcome to Auto menace. I had an auto guy ran straight into my car. Luckily not a big dent, but a dent was there with few scratches.

and he starts of with his filthy language and I decided to give him back when he realised I was more local than him.

I must quote this, there was a thread on Chennai driving customs when a Bhpian said this

" the auto drivers have been though to position their front wheel on the lane markers "
Old 27th September 2009, 08:17   #18
BHPian

@jithudigitised, Thanks. As you rightly said, it could have been any other vehicle on the road. I am not against auto drivers. They only come to our rescue when we're stranded somewhere. But the sad thing is 8 out of 10 among them do not follow disciplined driving.

@sabynag, I have seen good auto drivers myself. Whatever you said, I and my family members follow it. When we sit inside an Auto and find him reckless, we ask him to drive with discipline. Many do it. There was one instance where one driver laughed at me and continued to drive bad. I promptly stopped him, paid the amount according to how much ever I travelled and started walking.

He started shouting at me. I held my nerve and politely told him unless you drive safe, I won't travel. He accepted and drove safe till the rest of the journey. At the end, I only saw a smile in his face. He realised and said, "Sir, you're right and don't mistake me". I smiled back and left.

@shishya, It happens to everyone. Only thing is that, we need proper advise before booking a case. That's also the reason why people want to finish things off with mutual negotiations in many cases.

@haithereitsme, . In my case, he simply ran away. Not to escape but he was not aware of what happened. Good that your damage was not major.

Last edited by para_7k : 27th September 2009 at 08:19. Reason: Mistyped a user name
Old 27th September 2009, 08:42   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All my dad could do within that nano second was to swerve a little left to avoid him banging on to the front. Aargh! There was another bang. The rear of the car banged against a steel lamp pole.
I have been playing possible scenarios in my mind but with your limited description can not imagine how avoiding the Auto in front the rear door/fender were hit in to a pole???

Location cross road. There is a steel pole on corner and next to the left edge of the car.
#1 The Auto drove from right to left in front of the car: Then turning left does not avoid accident.
#2 The Auto drove from left to right in front of car: Turning left avoids accident. But the pole would be left far behind unless the cross road was a small single lane.

Something is not adding up.
Old 27th September 2009, 11:01   #20
BHPian

@sudev, I have come up with a small pencil sketch. The Auto was actually going across the car.

P is the Pole, C is the car, A is the Auto, DA is the direction of Auto, DC is the direction of Car and PM is the policeman. The front of the car is a beyond the pole.

The first sketch says what happened. Of course, the auto did swerve right but it gave enough room to avoid hitting. I have marked that as "ER" in the sketch.

If the car had not turned left, the Auto would have hit somewhere near the right front fender as in the second sketch.

I'm sorry I can't explain better but that's how it happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Rickshaw Menace-car.jpg  

Old 27th September 2009, 17:42   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

OIC - Pole in middle of road? Imagining a scenario without a sketch was bit difficult. Thank god in taking the evasive manoeuvre the front left did not go in to the pole.
Old 27th September 2009, 18:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
OIC - Pole in middle of road? Imagining a scenario without a sketch was bit difficult. Thank god in taking the evasive manoeuvre the front left did not go in to the pole.
Ha Ha. Pole was not in the middle exactly. It's just my illustration
Old 29th September 2009, 18:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
It is only us who can put an end to this problem. An auto driver, however unruly he may be, can't survive unless he has customers for his business. Political class and Police are part of his operations - they are not his customers. His customers are us, the ones who keep complaining about his behavior. If we have so many problems with an auto driver, why can't we refuse his service ? If all the citizens make a strong determination not to patronize autos on city roads, autos will eventually vanish from the streets.
I'm afraid I disagree Sabynag. The auto rickshaw is the common man's transport. Our public transport is already bursting at the seams, if the auto rickshaws vanish, trust me things will be much worse. Every other day in Bombay some one loses a limb or their life getting pushed out of overcrowded trains.

I would say keep the auto rickshaws but teachdrivers to drive in a civilized and sane manner.
Old 29th September 2009, 19:30   #24
BHPian

@Sabyang - though your comments are highly commendable, it’s not practically possible. We cannot stop patronizing the Autowalas. There are places in Chennai and elsewhere where we need to use the autos. For a short haul to the Train station (say 3-4KM) waiting for bus is a tedious stuff.

I am not patronizing the autowalas, I am a victim of these autowalas not long back. I and my wife were traveling in the duraiswamy subway in Tnagar on my Pulsar. When I entered the subway I noticed an auto on my left RVM. This auto came from nowhere at amazing speed for his vehicle, trying to squeeze in there by forcing me on to the oncoming traffic. As there was an indica approaching me on the opposite lane, I had to negotiate my way back to the left lane. I felt a sharp pain on my left leg and I really found it hard to shift gears and it took me 4 minutes due to traffic to get near Pothys and I stopped my vehicle. I had a 2 inch gash with a 1/2 inch depth on my left foot. The reason is the fancy metallic plates that the autos sports on top of the rear wheel. When I spoke to an autowala on this mod that they sport in their vehicles, he told me that it’s easy to wash the underside of the wheel arches. I was like what???? For cleaning purpose they have modded their vehicle and that mod has a lethal dose of metal hanging outside like a razor blades. We all know how close these autowalas drive in crowded street. I have advised my family to move away and give the right of way to autowalas.

@para_7k - Dont worry about the damage, it seems managable. Can you please let me know where in chennai this happened?

Last edited by ElantraGT : 29th September 2009 at 19:35. Reason: updates added instead of posting a second post
Old 29th September 2009, 19:49   #25
BHPian

@Elantra,

OOh! Yours was a little scary. The only thing I have not seen on Autos are bullbars. Hope they don't add that too.

Yesterday, I was on my bike to somewhere and I noticed this auto carrying something. On seeing closer, I found that he was transporting some steel pipes. He had kept on the floor of the passenger compartment. Now, the length of the pipes was more than the width of this Auto and the pipe ends were jutting out on both sides of the Auto. He would easily scrap the doors of cars and foot of bikers on his way and it did not look like he was riding keeping the pipes in mind.

Not only Autos, I have seen bikes where pillions carry chairs, tables, poles that can challenge world class gymnast experts.

God save our country from these people.

This happened in Pammal where I live. Have you heard of this place ?
Old 29th September 2009, 20:06   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post

This happened in Pammal where I live. Have you heard of this place ?

Exnora - Exnora Green Pammal Project

You mean this Pammal

Quote:
Today Pamal is an example of how civic engagement and people's partnership can be used to achieve Source Segregation of Solid Waste, Vermi composting of organic waste, Sale of recyclables and the Restoration of the Pammal Lake that lead to a green Pammal. Exnora Green Pammal is a unique joint venture of Private, Public and Government participation to improve the living environment and to promote more enviro-friendly sustainable human settlements
Recently attended a seminar on waste management and Pammal was quoted as a very successful model.
Old 29th September 2009, 20:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

I hope this is not a thread for Chennai Auto Drivers only.
After a lot of study by myself I have concluded that, the reason
why the Auto drivers drive the way they do is: They have been driving
like this since very long time now. And untill very recently their cities have become
overcrowded and difficult to manage. They still continue to drive the way they do w/o any improvization.
To be more clear on this, a few years back they could have managed a 'U' turn w/o looking behind successfully, but now due to more vehicles on the road, someone has to make that sudden right or left adjustment just because the natives haven't learnt to adjust their style. Or they simple refuse. Same with the others. They are not used to driving carefully neither are they willing to accept that and change.
Another e.g. They stop anywhere they feel like on the roads w/o understanding that there is a whole lot of traffic at their mercy. So 60% of the time it is a mix of the same infrastructure by the Municipality and unwillingness to change their attitude which is making such a negetive deficit on all road users.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 29th September 2009, 21:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Exnora - Exnora Green Pammal Project

You mean this Pammal

Recently attended a seminar on waste management and Pammal was quoted as a very successful model.
Oh Yeah ! That is the place
Old 29th September 2009, 21:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I hope this is not a thread for Chennai Auto Drivers only.
-------

. So 60% of the time it is a mix of the same infrastructure by the Municipality and unwillingness to change their attitude which is making such a negetive deficit on all road users.
Just my 2 cents.
I do agree but does this not apply to all drivers.
Old 30th September 2009, 09:50   #30
BHPian

@Para. yes I know pammal, been there twice. I stay near Madipakkam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks