Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 10:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I hope this is not a thread for Chennai Auto Drivers only.
After a lot of study by myself I have concluded that, the reason
why the Auto drivers drive the way they do is: They have been driving
like this since very long time now. And untill very recently their cities have become
overcrowded and difficult to manage. They still continue to drive the way they do w/o any improvization.
To be more clear on this, a few years back they could have managed a 'U' turn w/o looking behind successfully, but now due to more vehicles on the road, someone has to make that sudden right or left adjustment just because the natives haven't learnt to adjust their style. Or they simple refuse. Same with the others. They are not used to driving carefully neither are they willing to accept that and change.
Another e.g. They stop anywhere they feel like on the roads w/o understanding that there is a whole lot of traffic at their mercy. So 60% of the time it is a mix of the same infrastructure by the Municipality and unwillingness to change their attitude which is making such a negetive deficit on all road users.
Just my 2 cents.
Valid points. Here are my 2 paise:

They are (semi-literate) vote banks, so even when caught by cops will get off lightly - the view of the authorities seems to be "boys will be boys"! Cops can't make any money out of them , so there is no "incentive" for them as well! To top everything they have a very vocal union too.

I wish all autos had four wheels and a steering instead of handle bars. Then they can't dart around so sharply.
Old 30th September 2009, 14:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Valid points. Here are my 2 paise:

They are (semi-literate) vote banks, so even when caught by cops will get off lightly - the view of the authorities seems to be "boys will be boys"! Cops can't make any money out of them , so there is no "incentive" for them as well! To top everything they have a very vocal union too.

I wish all autos had four wheels and a steering instead of handle bars. Then they can't dart around so sharply.
Gansan,

The TATA Aces have them and not all of them drive good.
para_7k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2009, 14:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Gansan,

The TATA Aces have them and not all of them drive good.
Agreed, but they can't nip and tuck like the autos do either.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:57   #34
BANNED

The low life's in Bangalore are on strike today. Why?

Because:

1. They don't want to colour their rides green - only 20% of them to be affected. Does it cost 15k to paint an autorickshaw??

2. They don't want to install digital fare meters.

3. They don't want to take smart cards which will record their offences against their permits.

It is shameful that a city like Bangalore can be held to ransom by these cheap people.
Old 12th October 2009, 15:08   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

One day in the foreseeable future I hope the govt makes it mandatory to scrap all Autorickshaws and replace them with Reva's or Tata Nano Electric Vehicles.
Then the Autorickshaws will become a collector's item and one fine day there will even be a retro thread about them on TBHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The low life's in Bangalore are on strike today. Why?

Because:

1. They don't want to colour their rides green - only 20% of them to be affected. Does it cost 15k to paint an autorickshaw??

2. They don't want to install digital fare meters.

3. They don't want to take smart cards which will record their offences against their permits.

It is shameful that a city like Bangalore can be held to ransom by these cheap people.
Old 12th October 2009, 22:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The low life's in Bangalore are on strike today. It is shameful that a city like Bangalore can be held to ransom by these cheap people.
We are all annoyed by the antics of the auto fellows, but this is spewing hatred, unacceptable in a public forum. All cities in the south are held to ransom, not just Bangalore. Experience Chennai Auto fellows and Bangalore auto wallahs will smell like roses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
One day in the foreseeable future I hope the govt makes it mandatory to scrap all Autorickshaws and replace them with Reva's or Tata Nano Electric Vehicles.
But they will still be driven by the same auto drivers, much in the same manner and we will still be cribbing about them instead of autos!
Old 13th October 2009, 13:30   #37
BANNED

Quote:
We are all annoyed by the antics of the auto fellows, but this is spewing hatred, unacceptable in a public forum.
Oh not when you are at the receiving end of such people. I have been through worse until i read what Benny had to go through and for the next week or so i had seething anger looking at any of these low lifes and also a fear that i or someone close may be the next victim.

Its like a vice and i know some people who are paranoid about rickshaws and have been scarred for life because of these third grade scum who can't see beyond making a few bucks.

One of the most painful sight was a young girl in her early 20's being SLAPPED (not once but 3-4 times) on one of the main roads in bangalore at around 1000 hours by an autorickshaw driver right infront of her male companion. They were surrounded by 20 other autorickshaw drivers not letting anyone close to the girl. Believe me this happens.

And also believe me i stand by what i said above, i have no regrets to calling them what i do.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:48   #38
BANNED

The only things worse that auto drivers are the Tempo drivers. They are outlaws unto themselves. Most are high on drugs/booze and drive like crazy.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:08   #39
BHPian

In chennai, Normal autos and share autos are the worst. There is no sense of rules. Most of these autos are owned by the cops, hence these drivers get away with minimum or no penalty.

Ruthless I would say. To commute a distance of 2 kms, the auto walas demand 50 rs. When asked for the reason, they get all sorts of non-sense. absolutely disgusting and totally disgusted
Old 14th October 2009, 07:05   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Then the Autorickshaws will become a collector's item and one fine day there will even be a retro thread about them on TBHP.
We already have the Great Indicas, OMNIs, Sumos, Innovas etc., I feel Autos are much better than these people. The hooligans in these cars never fail to provoke you on the roads.
Old 14th October 2009, 12:02   #41
BANNED

The Auto Ricksahws are the bane of Indian roads and they are the festering legacy of bygone days when the public transport was not so good and people couldn't afford private vehicles.

They should be banned as soon as possible. Sure, some people will be affected but it will only be temporary and they will start using buses/cabs or their own transport.
Old 14th October 2009, 12:25   #42
BANNED

As for the Tata Ace see them in Kanpur and then I do not think you will call it good driving. Also the Ace is only E-II so they all register it outside and then ply in the city. I understand that many of the older tempos/TSRs (before CNG became compulsory) used to run on what they call Ghaslate (Kerosene with may be some Diesel). I wonder what is used in the Aces.
Old 14th October 2009, 13:03   #43
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

once Nano hits the road in force we will any way start cribbing about them (unless we own one ourselves)
it is human nature to crib- cannot do anything about that.

it would be nice to see Volvo buses gradually replacing all those horrible old Battered Bangalore Blue Buses. Then Im sure more people will go towards public transport.

Also, would be great if we can get our Metro rail execution speeded up a bit and then the beautiful old city centre areas can be made a "special zone" where only pedestrians, private bicycles (excluding commercial bicycle carts), electric golf carts and revas are allowed with the metro sitting on top!

Quote:
We are all annoyed by the antics of the auto fellows, but this is spewing hatred, unacceptable in a public forum. All cities in the south are held to ransom, not just Bangalore. Experience Chennai Auto fellows and Bangalore auto wallahs will smell like roses!

But they will still be driven by the same auto drivers, much in the same manner and we will still be cribbing about them instead of autos!
Old 14th October 2009, 15:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....what Benny had to go through ....

One of the most painful sight was a young girl in her early 20's being SLAPPED (not once but 3-4 times) on one of the main roads in bangalore at around 1000 hours by an autorickshaw driver right infront of her male companion.
I am shocked to learn about this. Irrespective of their driving and fleecing habits (believe me, they are bacchas when compared to their Chennai counterparts), I have found them at both places to be polite to female passengers. They may of course snap at them while haggling about fares, ogle at them through rear view mirrors, nothing more. They have their own (strange) sense of chivalry and IMO females travelling alone are safer in autos than in cabs.

I don't follow you about the Benny matter. Can you point me to the relevant thread/post?

Quote:
it would be nice to see Volvo buses gradually replacing all those horrible old Battered Bangalore Blue Buses. Then Im sure more people will go towards public transport.

Also, would be great if we can get our Metro rail execution speeded up a bit and then the beautiful old city centre areas can be made a "special zone" where only pedestrians, private bicycles (excluding commercial bicycle carts), electric golf carts and revas are allowed with the metro sitting on top!
I doubt what you say about patronage for Volvo buses. I don't know about Bangalore, but in Chennai their fares are much more than ordinary buses.

The day the Metro projects are completed in B'lore and Chennai will be a day to celebrate. Hopefully this should lead to less congestion on the roads, with bhpians able to follow at least one "no driving " day a week!

Last edited by Gansan : 14th October 2009 at 15:39.
Old 14th October 2009, 15:56   #45
BHPian

I say make it a four wheeler, and make them expensive and put a steering wheel...

Will solve 50 % of the issues like U turn on a one way road...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks