Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2009, 00:31   #91
Senior - BHPian

Argh! No offense to you guys, I just absolutely hate people who honk incessantly.

In Delhi, honking is usually used as a solution to getting an illegally stopped car to move.

I understand pedestrians are unable to discern anything out of a light blink and a horn is necessary at times, lets just try and keep it in short and few bursts!

I hope we move towards more pedestrian friendly roads!

By the way, Delhi has some signals where a pedestrian can press a switch to get the signals to go red and then cross safely. I doubt many people know and even if they did, they won't be able to use it. Why?
Because street urchins decided to rip them off.

Old 12th October 2009, 20:04   #92
BHPian

Indians need to learn some civic sense

I am totally for the motion that pedestrians should get compensated in an accident even if its their fault. I say this because vehicles were invented later and are non-living beings. humans have the first right to land.

But as far as India is concerned, the people itself lack the civic sense. Red lights, Zebra crossings, No entries, difference between highways and streets just doesn't matter to anyone. People cross roads at their will without any consideration for ongoing traffic. Even railway crossings is a problem. Many prefer jumping the tracks rather than walking a little extra and taking the foot-over bridge.

It doesn't happen like that in other developed nations. People out there have a sense of crossing roads and obeying rules and regulations. That is one things Indians can't do. A nation will become developed when its citizens develop a strong civic sense. In India, that seems too far fetched.

I love my country India because of the freedom that I enjoy here. But i hate to see it lagging behind.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:31   #93
Senior - BHPian

I am totally for the motion that pedestrians should get compensated in an accident even if its their fault. I say this because vehicles were invented later and are non-living beings. humans have the first right to land.

You do realise that the driver, whose life you will completely destroy, is also a human being. I don't understand your point. Do explain it again!
Thanks!
Old 12th October 2009, 22:10   #94
Senior - BHPian

All,

I don't think this compensation would have ANY financial impact on driver. Insurance (third party) should take care of compensation.
Old 13th October 2009, 00:16   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
All,

I don't think this compensation would have ANY financial impact on driver. Insurance (third party) should take care of compensation.
Do you seriously believe it is that simple?
Old 13th October 2009, 01:04   #96
Senior - BHPian

In financial terms, yes.

There would be a lot of other costs (stress, time spent in courts etc etc) but compensation itself should be taken care of by insurance.

That is unless it was DUI or other illegal situation.
Old 13th October 2009, 09:02   #97
Team-BHP Support

There's an incident in bangalore as well yesterday.

On Hosur road near Singasandra, a pedestrian was crossing and was hit by a speeding car. The driver has been arrested.

Now the thing is that, pedestrian crossing is not allowed at that point. You have to jump the metal fence median and then cross the road. Then how does one cross if the median is fenced? Simple, use the damn underpass provided. There is a well lit underpass in operation for almost 6 months. There's one at Kudlu and one at Singasandra, yet you see hardly any pedestrians use it and instead they try to dart across 4 lanes of traffic and climb the median then do the same on the other side of the road.

I don't know why car driver's should be arrested for that stupidity.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

jaywalkers will be more happy now

vid6639 i had the same experience with jaywalkers on the new airport road.
it was raining heavily and i was around 100 and all of a sudden an imbecile jumps the metal fence and sprints across the road. luckily he dint slip and fall on the slippery road or else he would have been road kill for sure.

Last edited by vinaydas : 13th October 2009 at 16:15.
Old 13th October 2009, 17:37   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
You do realise that the driver, whose life you will completely destroy, is also a human being. I don't understand your point. Do explain it again!
Thanks!
Cars and vehicles are a luxury after all. Not everyone can own one. Those who can't afford to own one do have the right to being able to walk freely anywhere. It is just that the imbeciles, who would not think twice before jumping the roadside railing and dashing across the highway with cars doing 100 mph, should use wise thinking and discretion in crossing safely.

In a country like India, people break rules very easily.
Old 13th October 2009, 18:37   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
vid6639 i had the same experience with jaywalkers on the new airport road.
it was raining heavily and i was around 100 and all of a sudden an imbecile jumps the metal fence and sprints across the road. luckily he dint slip and fall on the slippery road or else he would have been road kill for sure.
And you my friend, would have been in jail for sure. "Heavy rains" and "100" in one sentence does not make for a good case.
Old 13th October 2009, 18:59   #101
BHPian

Right of way

In all countries across the world, pedestrians have the first right of way. In fact in USA and Europe, it is frowned upon to honk at a pedestrian even if he/she is walking on the middle of the road and blocking your car.

But, they apply fines on pedestrians (and that too heavily) if they are caught jaywalking on a freeway or even inside the cities where there is no pedestrian walkway.

All said and done, since our laws in this regard are pretty lax, I believe it would be general courtesy for cars to stop and give way to pedestrian if they want to cross a road.
Old 13th October 2009, 19:15   #102
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agree with Amitoj.

It is our duty as drivers to adhere to the rules just as we expect pedestrians to adhere to them. 100 would be above the limit almost everywhere. Do show some restraint. I know our traffic rules try to smother the driver in us, but we can not go on breaking rules.
Old 14th October 2009, 00:30   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet8796 View Post
In all countries across the world, pedestrians have the first right of way. In fact in USA and Europe, it is frowned upon to honk at a pedestrian even if he/she is walking on the middle of the road and blocking your car.

But, they apply fines on pedestrians (and that too heavily) if they are caught jaywalking on a freeway or even inside the cities where there is no pedestrian walkway.

All said and done, since our laws in this regard are pretty lax, I believe it would be general courtesy for cars to stop and give way to pedestrian if they want to cross a road.
The scenarios in your first two paras are ideal but will never be a reality in our country given the sheer number of pedestrians on the road.

In Navi Mumbai the planned city roads have gone for a toss with the population explosion and every single time that I have stopped to let people waiting in groups to cross over the entire world behind me explodes in a cacophony of shrill horns, name calling and what not. Infact quite a few people waiting to cross over also are surprised/shocked that someone has actually stopped to let them cross rather than some brave souls who force vehicles to stop.

More than courtesy now it is a calculated decision if I see old people or people with small kids I always stop if it is able bodied people well I just grit my teeth and keep rolling.
Old 15th October 2009, 07:42   #104
BHPian

I have 2 street experiences related to this I want to share.

At nights, I see people randomly crossing the roads not aware of the fact that they may not even be visible to the poor cars/bikes who are blinded by the opposing vehicles driving usually in high beams. I myself had close calls driving my bikes as well as cars, and once even fell down at slow speed hard braking to avoid one such accident.

Another one being that, in a traffic signal, I saw people started moving even when the red lights were ON!. When I went near the signal, I saw a traffic constable, waving vehicles to go, even with the red light on. I understand, in some countries, a human traffic police has precedence over the signal lights, signal lights have precedence over traffic signs and so on, but how does it work out in India? Isnt there a chance, you could be fined for jumping a red signal?
Old 15th October 2009, 08:08   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And you my friend, would have been in jail for sure. "Heavy rains" and "100" in one sentence does not make for a good case.
well im still driving around the speed limit.
its not specified that during rain there is a different speed limit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks