Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 09:35   #1
BHPian

Motorcyclist hits my Indica

See the pictures. I think the marked parts have to be replaced.

I'm planning to take my car to Emm Emm Motors in Banaswadi-Horamavu area (Bangalore). Do you guys have suggestions for alternatives near whitefield-ORR area?

Insurance - Do I have to file an FIR or something? I obviously want to avoid such hassles.. So what shall I say as the cause of accident (hit a divider etc to avoid bringing in 3rd party)?

Any information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcyclist hits my Indica-car-007.jpg  

Motorcyclist hits my Indica-car-008.jpg  

Motorcyclist hits my Indica-car-009.jpg  

Old 9th October 2009, 09:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

My God, that looks like quite a shunt, how did it happen?
Old 9th October 2009, 09:47   #3
BHPian

Hope none was injured. The pics tell, it was a bad hit. Hit the divider is a good story. Do you have any scratches on right hand side? You can get them done as well. Then the story would be, someone touched you fom right, and you hit the divider to avoid him.
Old 9th October 2009, 09:54   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

FIR means you need the number of the Motorbike. Could lead to a time consuming process involving police and much irritation. Would be great if you can make that mo-bike lunatic pay you cash and settle it out of court without FIR. But if it is a hit and run case, this is not an option.

*Remember, by making an insurance claim, you will lose your next renewal No Claim Bonus.
Therefore, assess first the cost of the damage and then decide if such cost will be higher than the "gain" via No Claim bonus and then decide.

Insurance claims can also be made in cases like this by declaring "own damage".
Make sure the workshop you are going to is part of the network serviced by your insurance company on "cashless" basis (refer to the insurance booklet). Or else you will need to get the vehicle repaired and then claim the money from the Insurance company.
Talk to your insurance company via their helpline.
They will give you a Service Ref No and ask you some questions.
Fill up the necessary claim forms and submit the same along with RC Book and License originals.
The Insurance company will send an inspector within 48 hours to the workshop and he will assess the damage and view it against the estimate for repairs provided by the workshop. Some negotiations will take place between these two parties ref necessity to change panels etc and they will arrive at a figure.
Then the action starts.
All the best in your repair and claim process.

It is disgusting the way some of these blighters on mo-bikes and auto rickshaws ride and drive their vehicles!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th October 2009 at 09:57.
Old 9th October 2009, 09:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

That looks pretty bad. The biker hit you when you were stationary? Anyone injured?

I would probably tell the insurance company I had parked the car on a roadside, and noticed this when I came back to the car.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
I'm planning to take my car to Emm Emm Motors in Banaswadi-Horamavu area (Bangalore).
Just check if they have their own body repair shop. Several dealers/service centers don't actually own a body shop and they get their repairing job from outside. Going by the look as I see, it can be repaired properly but that greatly depends on the workshop's skills. Outside shops may charge you less too.
Quote:
Insurance - Do I have to file an FIR or something? I obviously want to avoid such hassles.. So what shall I say as the cause of accident (hit a divider etc to avoid bringing in 3rd party)?
Insurance claim won't help you much here. Yes, they'll probably pay full for tinkering/painting as labour job but not for your plastic parts.

At the end of the day you may get nothing much from insurance and lose your NCB if it's there. You need to take a call here.

This thread may give some ideas.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

you should be able to claim this without any supporting documents. I had a similar shunt ( had broken headlamps/foglamps in addition to the busted fenders and wheel arches) all i had to do was write the description of what happened on the claim form, and sign it.
Yes, you will lose your NCB next year

I had to pay around 5.3k after insurance.

My fender didnt have as much damage ( bumper took most of the hit) - i think you may need to have it replaced. but the good news is that metal parts are 100% covered. In my case, the HL and the fogs had to be replaced, which were only 50% covered.

While taking delivery after repairs, check if the bumper, fender headlamps and the hood are aligned and flush with each other ( no excessive panel gaps) , preferably no paint drip marks, and check the fog and headlight and just to be sure , the wheel alignment

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th October 2009 at 10:09.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:13   #8
BHPian

Sad to see this. Somehow, feeling that claiming insurance might be a good idea, which otherwise, can cost a lot to your purse. The fender, in all likelihood will have to be replaced as they cannot reform it to the original shape of the contours. Bumper needs replacement, and a new lip for the bumper. Add to this the paint job and labour costs.
Do you have any details of the biker with you? This info. can be provided while filing the FIR as well as in the insurance report.
One more suggestion. You can consider adding a left ORVM, as it helps see these pesky two wheelers approach from your left, in advance.

Last edited by dkamath : 9th October 2009 at 10:15.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

damodar - that's a good eye you've got there,but the wheelcaps say DLG/DLX, and GenuineOptimist's Profile says DLX Turbo with ABS/Airbags, yet strangely there is no left ORVM - and in case of the DLX, it should have been painted too.

very strange
Old 9th October 2009, 11:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
yet strangely there is no left ORVM - and in case of the DLX, it should have been painted too.
very strange
It is indeed DLX T w/Airbags. I got the left ORVM removed and stuck a cover instead after a lorry scraped it. I don't use left mirror that often and also find it a big inconvenience because of the driving habits of our fellow citizens - they scrape it often and come dangerously close to damaging it. I need 4 eyes to manouver the car if I have a left ORVM.

All - Thanks for the help with information. My only question now is - What shall I say in the insurance claim.. own damage or hit and run. People who've experience with this kindly reply.

TIA.;

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Do you have any details of the biker with you? This info. can be provided while filing the FIR as well as in the insurance report.
I don't have any details of the biker. He just collected himself and left before I could clear the car off the road. I want avoid the whole FIR thing.

Last edited by Dippy : 9th October 2009 at 14:59. Reason: Merging posts. Please the edit function if posting within 20 min of the earlier post. Thanks.
Old 9th October 2009, 11:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

my vote for hit and run.You really don't ( and probably can't, since you dont have the reg no) have to go into the whole FIR. If your insurance was done by the dealer, they probably have a cashless deal worked out with the insurer. Remember to take the number down next time - even I usually forget, - thats the last thing on your mind when your car has been damaged

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th October 2009 at 11:42.
Old 9th October 2009, 11:53   #12
BHPian

As Greenhorn pointed out, if you have a comprehensive insurance, and claiming from your comprehensive insurance, you really don't need an FIR for this kind of damage. I recently claimed for my swift where the mistake was from both party and hence there was no point in filing FIR. Had to replace front left fender and left two doors :(. Having an FIR just strengthens your case. But yes, you will loose your NCB and possibly a good 20% reduction in premium next year.
Old 9th October 2009, 13:26   #13
BHPian

updates..

Ok, No FIR is required. Thank you. I'll stick to the true reason of hit and run by an unknown biker.

The insurer is Royal Sundaram. Car is company car (leaseplan). Leaseplan has asked me to take it to TVS Sundaram car dealer in Bannerghatta Road (oh so far!)

I'm trying to check if Emm Emm is ok for Royal Sundaram.

Has anybody tried cashless in Emm Emm? Anyone who's done service in Emm Emm please help.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

One piece of advise. Never try to fool an insurance company. The surveyor can easily make out that these damages would not be from hitting a divider.

Tell them it was a hit and run, you don't have details of the biker.
Old 9th October 2009, 21:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate incident. Do you have any details as to how this happened?
Good luck with getting the car fixed. Hope the insurance company doesn't cause problems in the fixing process.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks