Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2005, 19:32   #16
BHPian

Aseem really sad to hear about that....my condolences to the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
I think as a forum we should promote safety to all our members. Life and Safety first, speed and thrill later.
I think we are a forum who promote not only performance but safety too. If you look around you'll find so many threads on the same.
Old 24th July 2005, 21:17   #17
vRS
BHPian

Sad indeed. But I have noticed often on the Expressway that these Qualis drivers (i guess they are private taxis) frequently overspeed and are always over-capacity. I think this should be a lesson for all of us to keep a safe distance from such vehicles.
Old 24th July 2005, 21:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
Adil I agree with you totally... but lets not just point a finger at these guys... I just got my Skoda back from its first service from a dealer in bombay... and the moment I started driving.. I felt like I didnt have any tires on the car..pulled into the first service station and checked the pressure.. they had inflated my tires up to 30!!!! which fool in their right mind puts that much pressure and then drives on the expressway where the friction of the surface is bound to drive up the pressure in the tire's?

dude,

always check the cold tire pressure.when u have driven ur vehicle ,the pressur einside will show more and you will not get an accurate reading.
so the 30 that u got after driving will definitely be lesser when u check the coldtire pressure.

and the tire bursts take place due to underinflation.increasing the air pressureby 2-4psi will not caus e it to burst.
Old 24th July 2005, 22:17   #19
BHPian

most of these guys who drive qualis' do not have a clue as to the importance of tyre maintenance. who is going to educate them...they just know how to change gears and steer around. it is unfortunate that so many people use these tourist taxis and get driven around - not realising that their lives are in danger.

and 2l8uloose - i don't think 30 psi is overinflated. my palio d manual recommends 32 psi front and 30 psi rear pressure on full load - which is different from the palio petrol which is 28 psi all round. it makes sense to check the user manual on the car rather than trust the pump filler or your local mechanic.

tyres burst because of over or under inflation - though the minmum tyre pressure is a must - so maintain that at all times.

below is a link to help you know how to maintain control when your tyre bursts - of course more important than technique is presence of mind first.

http://www.indiacar.com/index2.asp?p...e_pressure.htm

in any case - the surest way is to check tyres and tyre pressure before you leave for out of town trips - and always use high performance tubeless tyres which can easily survive (have speed ratings much higher than) the top speed of the car -
Old 25th July 2005, 00:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
and the tire bursts take place due to underinflation.increasing the air pressureby 2-4psi will not caus e it to burst.
theorotically it is fine
but what about in summer when due to heat the tyres get warmed & air expands increasing air pressure

i would say increase air pressure by 2 PSI (over recomended) during rainy season & winter while in summer keep the pressure to whatever given by manufacturer

@2L8uLoose, cream : different cars have different air pressures (it also changes from no of passengers travellings or load in the car)

@cream : thank you for the link, checking it

also there is a complete article about tyre in this months ACI really a worth read
Old 25th July 2005, 01:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
. they had inflated my tires up to 30!!!! which fool in their right mind puts that much pressure and then drives on the expressway
2L8uLoose,

TBHP tire pressure discussion. Definitely worth a read.

I tried looking for the recomended tire pressure from michelin for your 225/xR16 pilot precedas (am i right?) but couldnt find anything.

However, as a comparison, 225/50R16 Goodyear GS-D3s have a 35psi recomendation from goodyear itself!!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th July 2005 at 12:21.
Old 25th July 2005, 12:41   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
there is nothing wrong with speeding on the expressway as long as the car is in good condition and the driver is in control.
On the way back yesterday,
we did a spped of 160 on the lancer and on the way to Pune, we did 185 + .
Most of the cases of accidents on the expressway are because of badly maintained tyres and high speeds.
Good , new tubeless tyres and high speeds however are quite safe however.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
And after hearing this, i am really going to ensure that the driver sticks to a limit of 100 km/h or max 120 km/h no matter how good the roads. (though once a year 120 + should be accepted).
Also,
it would have helped if all the passengers were wearing seatbelts.
Old 25th July 2005, 12:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Guys,
. (though once a year 120 + should be accepted).

when should this one day be??????

on your birthday?????
Old 25th July 2005, 13:12   #24
Team-BHP Support

@Adya for high speeds tyre pressure should be 2-3psi above manufacturer recommendation. Overinflation is less risky than underinflation which will surely cause tyre burst
Old 25th July 2005, 13:15   #25
BHPian

That ******* driver should have been shot for overspeeding and killing 2 people. Hope others in hospital would recover soon. Guys, take my word for it, please dont overdrive with tubed tyres and definetely not when you have more than 2 people in car.

Please remember to wear your seat belt, each time before cranking the engine for the sake of your loved ones.
Old 25th July 2005, 14:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

I may like to say that, we in India have a lil wrong opinion on tire pressures. If you look up tank covers of german cars, it clearly shows higher pressures for1]heavy loads, and 2] higher speeds. because more the speed more the friction and so to reduce friction higher the pressure suggested. I also agree that for the expressway like roads one should always keep the recommended pressure and not LOWER. All modern day tyres are designed to take the speeds they are rated for and so also the pressure buildup. generally cars within 1 ton should have 24-26psi whilst cars between 1-1.5 tons 28-30 psi. In my cars weighing in above 1.5 tons I always keep 30-32psi with 4 people and highway driving. ofcourse tyres more than 4years old are not meant for highway use, due to ageing of the rubber, quicker in our tropical climate.
Old 25th July 2005, 14:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

tyre burst is solely to do with age/condition of tyre/tube and not with tyre pressures. ofcourse you cant drive with a pressure of say 10 psi or at the other end at 40psi!!! to start with. Qualis does recommend a tyre pressure of 35psi at rear in full load and so guess the OE tyres are rated to take 45psi on buildup.
Old 25th July 2005, 15:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

[color=black]Tubeless tyres are a better way to minimize these sorts of accidents. Hope the persons admitted in the hospitals will recover soon & my condolences to the affected persons family. [/color]

[color=black] [/color]

[color=black]Recovery van reached in 15 mins- I feel it's a reasonable time. [/color]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman] [/font][/size]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][/size][/font]

Old 25th July 2005, 17:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
@Adya for high speeds tyre pressure should be 2-3psi above manufacturer recommendation. Overinflation is less risky than underinflation which will surely cause tyre burst
but what about during summer season ?

suppose you overinflate your tyre by say 3 PSI & you are travelling in the afternoon & high speeds (around 100Kmph) & now due to friction air will get expanded rather quickly (than in say winter season) & the air pressure will probably increase by around 3-4 PSI above (thuse total 5-7 PSI above recomended) this will not only cause the risk of tyre busting but will also increase the breaking distance thus chances of driver misjudging will be more

IMO during summer or when travelling at higher temp the air pressure should be kept to what manufacturer has recomended
Old 25th July 2005, 18:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

adya33, tyres burst not due to pumped up to higher pressure, but because of flex in side walls of the tyre. Tyres are capable to handle that additional pressure in summer. Basically, it is not like bicycle tyre or a baloon, which bursts due to high pressure.

Maximum pressure is around 44-46psi (indicated on tyre wall), while recommended pressure is around 29-32 psi. So, you know how much it can withstand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks