Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2005, 14:43   #1
BANNED

Accident on the Expressway.

I was on my way back from Bombay this morning... and almost at the end of the express way.. about 2 km's from the end.. driving the the centre lane at 100km's when this Toyota qualis with about 10 people in it whizzes past me.
OK I think to myself... some jerk trying to see how fast his Qualis goes with a full load and luggage...but no sooner had I thought that... when I see about 10 feet in front of me.. the qualis swerve violently to the left... then right.. then left again and it rolled off the road. 4 or 5 times... first roll.. everything was chaotic.. second roll I see arms and limbs being flung from the vehicle... by the time it had rolled the third time I was too busy hitting my brakes and stopping the car to try and help.
What I realised after I stopped was when this guy swerved to get back into the centre lane.. his rear tire had blown out... and thats what caused this accident.
The "DELTA FORCE AMBULANCE" or whatever hell it is called took about 15 minutes to get there, but by that time it was too late for 2 of the passengers that had been ejected from the Qualis who had died instantly.
What point I am trying to make.... though not very well.. is that there IS a manufacturer limit to the number of people you are allowed in a car... why do people cram over double the number of people in a vehicle when the risk to themselves is so great.
Im sorry.. but Im kinda brainforked writing this.. may look it over later and do some editing.
One last thing that I want to say is that no matter how fast we all like to drive.. seeing something like this happen right infront of you SERIOUSLY puts things into perspective.
Old 23rd July 2005, 15:46   #2
BHPian

well,very true..people don't ever read the car user manual,nor do they know what is the max no. of people should be on board/max luggage carrying capacity of the vehicle.
First of all,the driver shouldn't have been travelling at 100km/hr on a road with 80km/hr speed limit..i mean it's not too fast considering speed limit of 80..but with 10 people on board with loads of luggage..stick to the limit..infact,drive a bit slower than the limit.
Anyway,because of his stupidity,2 lives lost+ who knows how the others are doing in the hospital.

sr
Old 23rd July 2005, 16:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

very sad ....
every car has its limits be it terms of performance or maximum capacity ..a qualis is not meant to be driven fast ... and not car is meant to be driven at 100 wit h 10 ppl on board ..
may the souls on the ones who perished rest in peace ...
you are lucky you didnt get tangled ...
Old 23rd July 2005, 18:22   #4
BANNED

dude.. I realised that after I had come home.. if the guys tire had burst a couple of seconds earlier he would have T-boned me and there would be little that I could have done.
Old 23rd July 2005, 19:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

OMIGOSH!! I can't believe you actually witnessed an accident so horrific.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess the Qualis is allowed to seat 10 people or 8 people depending on the model and seats of the Qualis.
Old 23rd July 2005, 19:48   #6
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Yes... Gordon its a 10 seater.. or 9 as the case may be.

I think its not a case of over loading... its simply poor tyre maintenance.
Old 23rd July 2005, 19:54   #7
anupam9055

some drivers just drive for the heck of it and do not know anything about what speed does ...................
for that matter of fact i have seen a guy in a maruti 800 fully loaded speeding at 100 on the expressway.............

One more reason we have more accidents on the expressway is that most mumbaikars or punekars have touched around 100kmps in the city roads but on the expressway try to go faster....
what they do not understand is that higher the speed the more time it takes and distance is needed to come to a stop ........
due to this people have to break hard at the last minute and due to that the drivers loose control of the car and we have accidents

Old 23rd July 2005, 19:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

sad to hear about that accident and feel very sorry for those two people who lost their lives it that horrific accident. I always used to get the same kind of picture when I see the overloaded vehicles on the highway. Hope people learn some lesson from this incident and not repeat the same mistake.
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess the Qualis is allowed to seat 10 people or 8 people depending on the model and seats of the Qualis
The basic model i.e. the FS is a 10 seater.
Old 23rd July 2005, 23:14   #9
BHPian

another reason for the acidents that happen on expressway is cause of poorly maintained tyres. i have seen n number of sumos and qualises with tires which are so worn out they look like slicks. these guys just dont understand the importance of tyres. we never had expressways before and such speeds were never touched on roads in india so people could get away with it.
unfortunately now there are a lot of not so lucky ones.
Old 24th July 2005, 01:45   #10
BHPian

Really sad to hear about this...must have been a shock to watch something like this happen in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
why do people cram over double the number of people in a vehicle when the risk to themselves is so great.
well the guy has to make money and the more he fits in, the more he makes. If things have to change then the passengers also have to say NO when a driver is stacking people in excess. I'm assuming this was a pune-mumbai taxi service. If it was a family then they are to blame for doing something like this.

Qualis are 10 seaters but the best part is they have not given T-permits. My Office Qualis driver had said that to me. If a Qualis gets a T-permit than they can only have 5 ppl travelling in it. However, noone cares for the rules.....if a Pandu catches them then they just wet palms and carry on...
Old 24th July 2005, 03:40   #11
BANNED

yeah the main reason i feel is nobody cares about the tires of their cars...due to which these accidents occur...
Old 24th July 2005, 12:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

My fathers collegues son just died in a car accident. His wife is 5 month pregnant and his father is on tranqulizers. This guy was 27 and driving a Maruti 800 when he tried to give someone behind him way so that they can overtake him. However the headlight of cars from other direction blinded him and he ran into a pole and died instantly.
I just wanted to share this, as in this forum we keep discussing how to mod cars, how to go even faster, what are the max speeds of stock cars, how expensive are our stereos... totally forgeting thats its our life which we are playing with. We just have to be unlucky once. Dont want to lecture caz I am guilty of the same, but incidents such as these make you realize how fragile life is.
I have recently bought Swift Vxi and feel sad that I had money for 24k alloys but didnt want to give extra 20 grand for ABS which is safety. I think as a forum we should promote safety to all our members. Life and Safety first, speed and thrill later.
Old 24th July 2005, 13:34   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilshah
another reason for the acidents that happen on expressway is cause of poorly maintained tyres. i have seen n number of sumos and qualises with tires which are so worn out they look like slicks. these guys just dont understand the importance of tyres. we never had expressways before and such speeds were never touched on roads in india so people could get away with it.
unfortunately now there are a lot of not so lucky ones.
Adil I agree with you totally... but lets not just point a finger at these guys... I just got my Skoda back from its first service from a dealer in bombay... and the moment I started driving.. I felt like I didnt have any tires on the car..pulled into the first service station and checked the pressure.. they had inflated my tires up to 30!!!! which fool in their right mind puts that much pressure and then drives on the expressway where the friction of the surface is bound to drive up the pressure in the tire's?
The sumo and qualis taxiwalla's are the same... they think that if they inflate the tires up the average of the car will increase.... though not giving any thought to what the concequences would be.
GR8... it was a family in their own car!! Really sucks
Old 24th July 2005, 13:57   #14
xtreme aaron

gosh, sorry 2 hear dat u had seen such an incident......... thanks 4 bringing this into notice of others too........ so guys be carefull

Old 24th July 2005, 18:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

dude, i just can't imagine limbs flying out like that, and that too right in front of u..mna u must be feeling low :(

and as for the qualis, well......lets just hope the rest of the people would be fine soon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks