Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 23:11   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I think the question should be "Ban autos all over India?", and the answer is a big YES!
Why not ban cars also?
Old 17th October 2009, 02:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Ban on 2 stroke rickshaws should have happened yesterday.

I don't know about Bangy, but they make it difficult to breathe in Poona. Being forced to go behind one in bumper to bumper traffic is like finding yourself in a gas chamber.

Many/most of these ricks are badly maintained and smoke so much they seem to be running with part kerosene. I have also seen ricks drivers coming to buy "loose" oil (which seems to be used oil that is filtered/dyed) at oil shops. I'm sure most of them must be doing this. All that highly poisonous used oil and kerosene is pumped into the city's lungs.

Don't know when this will stop. We are truly a nation of very tolerant people (in all the wrong things).

As for 2 stroke 2 wheelers, since they have been banned, their numbers on the roads have sharply declined. They are nowhere close to the ricks as sources of pollution.

Last edited by Raccoon : 17th October 2009 at 02:10.
Old 17th October 2009, 03:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Are Mahindra Alfa ,Piaggio Ape like Diesel Auto Rickshaw's getting popular in Banglore?
Old 17th October 2009, 11:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why not ban cars also?
Second post in this thread. Find the reasons, you will. /Yoda
Old 17th October 2009, 13:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

OT, but the problem with B'lore autos is faulty meters, hooliganism by the auto drivers, refusal to go to places, overcharging and of course the pollution problem.

I always take the bus these days, Bangalore has improved a lot in it's public transport system . The metro, when it comes up, will provide more relief.
Old 17th October 2009, 13:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Who will ban the autos? Forget it if you think the Govt will do it. They have better things to do and priorities. They are busy trying to find what all development works could be done by spending huge sums regularly. These development projects keeps a lot of rich people going on to become richer.
Old 17th October 2009, 16:33   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Second post in this thread. Find the reasons, you will. /Yoda
People who Swifts want to ban Maruti800s & under.
People who own M800's want to ban Nanos & under.
People who own Nanos want to ban Autos.

Yes, autos cause pollution.
Driving a car from Delhi to Bombay or Bombay to Bangalore also causes
more pollution as compared to if you had travelled in a train.
If you travel to work everyday in public transport, you will probably
cause less pollution than if you drive your 4-stroke petrol Car to work.

I drive from Bombay-Pune very frequently. I could pollute less by taking
the Indrayini - I don't because this is more convinient for me.

Everyone wants to reduce other people's pollution.

Last edited by carboy : 17th October 2009 at 16:38.
Old 17th October 2009, 17:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thing is cars do NOT belch smoke the way the autos are doing on our roads. Just simply tail a car and a rick on our crowded roads, and you will know the difference.
Old 17th October 2009, 17:49   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I think those auto engines are criminally polluting.
They should be banned and replaced with Nano.
Old 17th October 2009, 18:18   #25
BHPian

i dont think any sort of ban can be imposed on the autos just yet owing to their utility to many in the city. But with the road transport system improving thanks to the introduction of the volvo and Big 10 buses, i think something has to be done about them. Hopefully metro is the solution to this problem.
Old 17th October 2009, 18:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
People who Swifts want to ban Maruti800s & under.
People who own M800's want to ban Nanos & under.
People who own Nanos want to ban Autos.

Yes, autos cause pollution.
Driving a car from Delhi to Bombay or Bombay to Bangalore also causes
more pollution as compared to if you had travelled in a train.
If you travel to work everyday in public transport, you will probably
cause less pollution than if you drive your 4-stroke petrol Car to work.

I drive from Bombay-Pune very frequently. I could pollute less by taking
the Indrayini - I don't because this is more convinient for me.

Everyone wants to reduce other people's pollution.

My second post in the thread, I meant.

Quote:
That need can easily be fulfilled by using state/public transport. For the minimal inconvenience you have to undergo, you will reduce:
a) traffic
b) noise pollution
c) air pollution
d) damage to private cars
e) mental agony of everyone travelling on the roads

I pray for those days when these autorickshaws go on a strike. The difference is more than obvious on the roads. Further, remove the random slow-moving obstacles from the road and you will notice that 90% of the people who drive like retards suddenly cool down and drive in a very disciplined manner.
You echo my own post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I think those auto engines are criminally polluting.
They should be banned and replaced with Nano.
And you think the Nano runs on cowdung and produces fresh water?

Last edited by pranavt : 17th October 2009 at 18:38.
Old 17th October 2009, 18:45   #27
BHPian

I don't think banning auto rickshaws is a good solution. There are thousands of people making a living driving auto rickshaws. Instead of banning them, the government needs to help them by giving incentives to buy new 4stroke / LPG rickshaws. Implement strict pollution norms just like how it is implemented on private vehicles.
Old 17th October 2009, 19:45   #28
BHPian

The Auto community in Bangalore is a very large community. Most of the Autos are owned by politicians(and underworld guys of course) and they form the Auto Unions. The same applies to Chennai as well. At this point KSPCB is totally under powered to face the Auto Union. Infact such a bill will never find a way into the parliament here, if found will get stuck for ever like the infamous NICE road.

But if the government is interested in bringing down this menace then the first
step is to decouple the owners of the autos from powerful people. Unless this very important step happens there is not going to be any successful atempts in moving the community.

Even otherwise they could start at refusing any further registration of 2-Stroke Auto's to atleast ensure that in may be 15 years we dont have majority of 2-Stroke Auto's. Infact promote 4 wheeler equivalents over Auto(3 wheelers) to reduce accidents and bring some order.

They could ban 15+ year old Auto's, that should not face much of opposition.

They could ensure availability of CNG down here. That alone should prompt poeple into putting CNG kits into their cars atleast.

They could promote Green cars like Delhi is doing it. Also put some charging point in various parts of the city.

Ensure community large sized power backup systems for IT companies. This will save the companies from burning fuel in city for no good reason.

Give incentives for companies taking initiative for green building solutions(solar powered lighting(with LED) in big companies alone should give us surplus supply for another 2 years).

And apart from that, at present there are a lot of Taxi's available in Bangalore thanks to City Taxi, Meru and others.
Old 17th October 2009, 19:59   #29
BHPian

Banning autos is not practical unless and until other modes of public transport improve by leaps and bounds. Autos are a convenience for many, but what could be done is the puc certificate should be issued only after strict checking! Here in Kerala the Puc is a joke, you go pay 40rs and they will feed some number of their liking in the computer and give you a print out.
Only two stroke autos which actually pass the test should be allowed to run!
What about Bajajs new direct injection 2 st autos? They are supposed to be less polluting right. The 4 stroke petrol autos never took off over here.
I dont know the state there, but here it is the Diesel autos which are the biggest menace! Noise pollution, thick fumes and rash driving( these are more powerful and the drivers dont spare any effort is flaunting it!). I dont know how these things were even allowed to run on our roads! I mean our homologation or whatever authorities are so good at fixing saree guards and front number plates on superbikes but cant seem to notice the the din and smoke these diesel autos create. I would also recommend that their turning circle be increased so that dont do too much 'traffic cutting'.

Last edited by bmw_m5_titus : 17th October 2009 at 20:02.
Old 17th October 2009, 21:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m5_titus View Post
Banning autos is not practical unless and until other modes of public transport improve by leaps and bounds. Autos are a convenience for many, but what could be done is the puc certificate should be issued only after strict checking! Here in Kerala the Puc is a joke, you go pay 40rs and they will feed some number of their liking in the computer and give you a print out.
Only two stroke autos which actually pass the test should be allowed to run!
This part will absolutely not work. As I mentioned above, adulterated fuel and used oil along with general bad maintenance will see to it that it does not. They will just use good fuel and oil to get the certificate. Once it passes, they will go back to what they were using for the next 6 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks