Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2013, 21:52   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thank You!

One more question : Once my car was hit inside the A$$ while parked (another car was taken out of the service bay by a mechanic & seemed like brakes got jammed; turned and ended up hitting my car).

I did the claim on my insurance and got the difference of NCB from the A$$.

While talking to my manager later, he said the A$$ should have some kind of insurance and I should / need NOT have claimed my insurance. Any details on this?
Good point!! When your car was given to the service center, by virtue of the contract, they have taken whole responsibility of your vehicle. Any damages or loss to your car is solely their responsibility. You need not claim your insurance. This contract is valid because, you have agreed and got into a contract to get your car repaired or serviced, against payment made, and the condition being your car is left at their mercy, in their premises for the repair duration. You shouldnt have taken the car back, unless they repaired it at their cost.
Old 24th February 2013, 21:58   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Good point!! When your car was given to the service center, by virtue of the contract, they have taken whole responsibility of your vehicle. Any damages or loss to your car is solely their responsibility. You need not claim your insurance. This contract is valid because, you have agreed and got into a contract to get your car repaired or serviced, against payment made, and the condition being your car is left at their mercy, in their premises for the repair duration. You shouldnt have taken the car back, unless they repaired it at their cost.
Well, I didn't have to pay a single rupee. Entire amount was waived off or included in the insurance. Only catch is that I lost the NCB (though I got the amount difference for next year, it had to start all over).

I didn't fight as I was told that the amount difference will be taken from the mechanic (I infact saw the accident, it was NOT really a rash driving or something, some brake issue). Didn't want the heavy burden to get on his head; guess the NCB amount was charged on him though.

I was trying to understand more on this insurance from the A$$ side.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th February 2013 at 21:59.
Old 24th February 2013, 22:00   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Well, I didn't have to pay a single rupee. Entire amount was waived off or included in the insurance. Only catch is that I lost the NCB (though I got the amount difference for next year, it had to start all over).

I didn't fight as I was told that the amount difference will be taken from the mechanic (I infact saw the accident, it was NOT really a rash driving or something, some brake issue).

I was trying to understand more on this insurance from the A$$ side.
They have something akin to a business insurance, against which they can claim for customer vehicle damages, so techically you neednt have claimed from your insurance and retained your NCB.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 22:22   #214
BHPian

Continuing on third party insurance claim. My car was hit by a truck. Since it neither slowed down nor stopped, it got away. So i have already claimed my insurance. Let's now consider a theoretical situation where the truck stopped and I were to get my car repaired under the truck insurance. What would have been the procedure and how much time would it have taken?
Old 26th February 2013, 12:14   #215
BHPian

Hey Friends, need some TWO pence from learned ones on my below horrendous experience.

1. Me, my brother & my parents were driving in my Xylo on a Sunday morning from Mulund to Thane negotiating difficult traffic conditions on LBS Marg.

2. After crossing a signal, an ATM Security Van overtook us from the left while my i was driving in the second lane.

3. Suddenly the ATM Security Van (ASV) braked hard for a vehicle that waiting to cross over from the other side of the road but a biker who was trailing the speeding ASV could not brake enough well in time.

4. By the time our vehicle had again reached adjacent to the ASV on the right and move ahead a bit further than ASV by 3 to 4 feet in our own lane.

5. As a result of ASV's hard braking, the Biker braked to an extent but banged the ASV and fell down in the first lane (nxt to the divider)

6. Meanwhile we had to break to for a car that was coming out from a building on left and the biker's bike bumped into our xylo's rear bull guard.

7. The ASV guy sped away while we stopped by parking our xylo a bit ahead

8. The biker was not very much injured but then an auto had apparently ran over his right arm and his bike was damaged considerably. The biker was carrying a big plastic bag full of costumes with him which could also have resulted in to his lack of control.

9. I told my bro to take charge of the Xylo... with the help of some other bikers placed the biker in my xylo and asked my Bro to drive him to the nearest Municipal Hospital... i collected all the costumes, his helmet and parked the bike in a society compound, collected the keys and drove pillion to the hospital.

10. At the hospital, i arranged for the form and initial formalities to make sure he gets attended to on priority.

11. now the most surprising thing starts, the biker was in the impression that i was the driver of ASV and he gave a narrative to the on duty doctor that i was the cause for the accident.

12. It being a municipal hospital, an on duty police officer came in a min and took his statement asked me to give my version.

13. Under to guise of wanting to see whether i was driving with a valid license, he confiscated my driving license and told me the horror story about the likely case on me for the causing a deadly accident and putting a life in danger. He also gave me an estimate of around 12000 to 15000 for the medical expenses.

14. Mid way intermittently, i also kept enquiring about the biker's progress on medical attention and paid x-ray fees twice for some different x-rays prescribed by the doctor.

15. I had also called up Biker's relatives by taking their numbers while seating the biker in my vehicle for moving him to hospital. They also came in to the hospital and started staring + talking with me as if i was the cause for everything

16. Somehow after 3-4 hours of playing mind games and pulling up some local political connections, got rid of the police by paying him 500.

My question is - What wrong did i do in this that i had to shell out monies and also go through the trauma / harassment of a possible legal case against me?
Old 28th February 2013, 17:42   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo222 View Post
Hey Friends, need some TWO pence from learned ones on my below horrendous experience...
1. On what basis he claimed that you are the ASV driver? Don't you say that you were driving your personal car, that was behind the ASV?

2. Doesn't he remember that he collided with different van?

3. Why he was driving so fast that he could not brake in time?

You tell them, "I merely came for your help, I could have left easily leaving you in that condition on road".
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 18:13   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
1. On what basis he claimed that you are the ASV driver? Don't you say that you were driving your personal car, that was behind the ASV?

2. Doesn't he remember that he collided with different van?

3. Why he was driving so fast that he could not brake in time?

You tell them, "I merely came for your help, I could have left easily leaving you in that condition on road".
Thanks @anujmishra...

Actually when i picked him up from the road he had given this version in front of the crowd that this person (me) driving the ASV braked so badly that caused me this. I clarified the same to him at that very moment and he kept mum as the focus shifted to the injuries.

But then as soon as we reached the hospital, and there was only one person (the other biker who rode me to the hospital aft i sent the injured biker in my xylo), the injured biker changed his version saying that he got stuck in between my xylo and the ASV and referred to a dent just above the RHS rear wheel which was a cause of some prev mishap in a parking lot.

His intention was then to rip off as much money from me as much he can. The other biker too had gone missing and i was left alone. The resident police in the hospital also jumped to this and started playing his normal trade.

I repeatedly mentioned to all that i just came to help but then nobody was there to believe me... in fact i texted my bro to go and get a version from the security watchman of the nearby building in front of which this incident had occurred and i had parked the bike there... but then he too claimed ignorance fearing a police investigation.

Lack of eye-witnesses who could substantiate my part further increased my worries and then i had to resort to the last option of pulling some strings / contacts to bail me out of this mess.

The person who helped me out, advised me to just drop the injured at the hospital reception and run away under some pretext, the way the other biker did... also i should not have used my own vehicle for transferring the injured to the hospital and should have hired an auto / taxi... but then i wonder, how many autos/taxis would be willing to ply for such a cause fearing a police investigation later... not to mention the loss of precious time in hailing a public transport, in case, it is a case of serious injuries.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 28th February 2013 at 20:38. Reason: Message left inline. Thanks.
Old 28th February 2013, 18:13   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Friends, need some TWO pence from learned ones on my below horrendous experience.

My question is - What wrong did i do in this that i had to shell out monies and also go through the trauma / harassment of a possible legal case against me?
Simply put, it was foolish of you to stop and help the biker. If you play good samaritan in present day India, as umpteen stories here and elsewhere have shown, you will be the one in trouble. You were lucky to have political connections (one more bane in modern India) and got away easily, I dont have such connections, so I will not stop and help anyone period, unless I have caused the accident.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 18:22   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Simply put, it was foolish of you to stop and help the biker. If you play good samaritan in present day India, as umpteen stories here and elsewhere have shown, you will be the one in trouble. You were lucky to have political connections (one more bane in modern India) and got away easily, I dont have such connections, so I will not stop and help anyone period, unless I have caused the accident.
Yep pretty much the same feeling that i have got developed in my mind now... the connection i had was a very minor one and may not have been very helpful too... so the right way is the highway... to hell with being a good samaritan and collecting some good karmas, etc.

Spoilt the family's sunday and all plans were gone for a toss as we were heading to a function. Not to mention the trauma and anxiety that was caused to me and my families.

Feeling like kicking at the choicest place of that policeman and the injured biker for being so inconsiderate and unthankful.

All in all, this has led to one more person looking the other way when he could have been of help in future... add my bro to that count... it will make it TWO

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 28th February 2013 at 20:38. Reason: Message left inline
Old 28th February 2013, 20:29   #220
BHPian

Quote:

1. Me, my brother & my parents were driving in my Xylo on a Sunday morning from Mulund to Thane negotiating difficult traffic conditions on LBS Marg.
Bloody gold digger... People like these deserve no help and should be left to suffer. The sad part is our system support such claims and genuine few have to pay the prize. may be next time when he gets no help he will realize the value of what you have done for him.

And you have done nothing wrong so don't worry. I hope he has not filed a complaint after you left.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 21:21   #221
BHPian

Quote:

The first mistake you did was to stop and help out the fool once the offending vehicle left.
Once they saw your big car they thought they could make some money out of you. Should have left him on the road that worthless piece of whatever.

I see bikers kill themselves over their own foolishness all the time. Just today saw two bikes crash into each other right in front of my eyes. I just walked by into my campus without a second thought, as they were rowdies and didn't want to be involved in their mess and get taken for a ride.

Next time you want to help out some one just dial 108 and call the ambulance while you are on the move. And don't expect any help from the police the next time.
Old 28th February 2013, 21:33   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

And the story continues. Same story repeating itself. Such incidents/people ensure that whatever small number of good Samaritans are left would also start looking elsewhere when someone might really need there help. Right from the two wheeler to the cop, its frustrating. Whats more ironic is they don't even think that they themselves might be involved in a much more serious accident next time around and no one would be there to help then.

Sometime I really feel that everyone in this country is just there on one mission: How to make a fool/cheat the next person!!
Old 28th February 2013, 23:40   #223
Senior - BHPian

Indeed a very sad incident. Its sad that incidents like this make us more closed to the idea of even helping out someone the next time we see an accident. I certainly wouldn't after going through this trauma.

But still, a human life is a life...
Old 1st March 2013, 00:15   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I hope he has not filed a complaint after you left.
Not yet it seems. The only way to verify is that i've not received any notification or calls from anybody on that episode. So far so good. Fingers crossed. Still worried.
Old 1st March 2013, 00:43   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Next time you want to help out some one just dial 108 and call the ambulance while you are on the move. And don't expect any help from the police the next time.
And what if the injured biker or someone from crowd just notifies the police about my car number as the one who hit the biker and ran away. It makes me feel so very disgusting. However, god forbid if such an episode happens next time in future, one of your co-traveller should get down and mingle with the crowd to find out in what direction the proceedings are moving... Meanwhile, the others should race away with the vehicle and wait for the informer to come... This way the informer will be able to track the version that is being developed and also try and influence the happenings to a more correct sequence. This will also ensure that you are not the last person to be notified that you are wrongly implicated. Any opinions on this? Don't know what to do if you're travelling alone and do not have anyone to stay back as your informer. Any better ideas?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks