Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 09:05   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: TJet+ Accident: Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Bumper doesn't need a replacement. The headlamps need to be checked if their mounting points are intact.

The hood, top and bottom grilles need to be replaced. Do NOT get the hood dented and repainted as the crumple zones have already done it's job...
Hi DRIV3R, I guess the bumpers need replacement, as the second picture shows a cut, just below the upper grille. Also, the plactic mouldings, inner railings and clips are sure to have been deformed by this impact, thus for proper alignment, bumper needs to be replaced. Don't know about FIAT cars, but my experience with Hyundai & Ford reflect this. Correct me if I am wrong

And yes, Hood NEEDS to be replaced, no compromises here
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 09:19   #377
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about your accident and hope the mess gets sorted out soon! I appreciate the fact that you openly admitted to work stress and blanking out possibly being a contributor to this accident . In such situations, the most common reaction of people would be to prove their innocence and try blaming the other vehicles/factors in the scene. Time to learn and move on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
I really need help with a few points:
  • I don't think the brakes worked. I've always suspected the brakes on the TJet+ but now this raises that doubt to a whole new level. I wonder what the ABS did too. The car simply went on and hit the car in front.
For the speed you hit a standing vehicle at, the front seems to have taken the impact pretty well. Why would you feel the brakes weren't working at only that instant? Just curious since you mentioned later that the car drives perfectly now after the accident.
Quote:
As things stand, the car drives perfectly. Straight geometry, no trouble from engine neither any stray rattling due to the crash.
If the brakes work now and you felt they didn't work at that instant, it could be a case of reduced alertness (and you reacting/hitting the brakes too late) rather than the brakes being moody. The T-Jet's brakes have too much bite and often when I take it out, I am worried that I will get rear-ended rather than me being late to slow down.

As Ghodlur mentioned, ABS can only help you maintain control in emergency braking situations by preventing your wheels from from locking up, but it cannot serve as a compensator for sufficient braking distance. Having ABS does not mean the car can come to a standstill at any instant.

Quote:
  • Airbags did do anything. I am sure I was at a fairly high speed. Yes, the 'Check Airbag' / 'Airbag Malfunction' light is now on on the dash. But that is it.
Airbags will deploy if the rate of deceleration is beyond a certain threshold value. In your case, it was probably within the threshold and hence did not trigger the airbags to go off.

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th December 2013 at 09:28.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 09:53   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Hi DRIV3R, I guess the bumpers need replacement, as the second picture shows a cut, just below the upper grille. Also, the plactic mouldings, inner railings and clips are sure to have been deformed by this impact, thus for proper alignment, bumper needs to be replaced. Don't know about FIAT cars, but my experience with Hyundai & Ford reflect this. Correct me if I am wrong

And yes, Hood NEEDS to be replaced, no compromises here
We can live with that minor cut, bro.

FIAT's bumpers (atleast for the Punto & Linea) do not have any plastic clips or mouldings inside. They are torx-screwed to the fenders (sides) and the chassis (bottom). This arrangement is a PITA when we have to remove the bumper but in case of minor shunts, it is a life saver.

I have removed the front bumpers of my Punto (DIY) to replace the grilles, headlamps and the horn, and I can assure that the new Gen FIATs do not have any bumper locking clips unlike the convention.

I would still say that the bumper is good to go. Let's see what the A.S.S/body shop folks got to say.
DRIV3R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 10:10   #379

Sorry to hear about your mishap. The silver lining is that no one got hurt. I feel, the blackout that you suffered was an episode of "microsleep" which is a symptom of stress. A basic home remedy is to drink warm water before going to bed and make sure you get good sleep for at least 6-7 hours. See a doctor if you snore as that causes breathing difficulties which prevent a person from getting a restful sleep.
Wishing a good recovery, both to you and your ride.
green_wheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 10:42   #380
Team-BHP Support

I hope it was not a medical condition, but a case of you nodding off for a moment because of tiredness. And that could also explain the car brakes "not working" - my guess is that you did not step on the brakes hard enough/quick enough since you were not fully alert.

Quote:
[*]Airbags did do anything. I am sure I was at a fairly high speed. Yes, the 'Check Airbag' / 'Airbag Malfunction' light is now on on the dash. But that is it.
You need to suspect something only if you had been hurt, and the airbags did not deploy. Since that's not the case, its a good thing the airbags didn't deploy. It's not supposed to deploy in such minor accidents.

Quote:
The damaged Innova owner is not pressing any charges as he was more concerned about me than his car.
Wow! What a guy!

For this, make sure you pay him a little extra for the loss of his no claim bonus on his insurance.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 11:13   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was on the down slope of the flyover heading north towards the signal and for about 4 to 5 seconds, I seem to have simply blanked out. I have no other explanation for this behaviour as it has never happened before. I will visit a doc to find out more but I am guessing work stress just got to my mind.
Dear Adrena,

I am accustomed to this condition very very well, since a close relative was going through this. Our doctor refers to this as 'blank spell'. I am not sure if its the same in this case, but it sounds very very similar. It is usually a case associated with the first stage of epilepsy.

There is nothing to worry though, it can be prevented by medicines. I am not doctor, so I would recommend that your friend consult one very very soon.

P.S.: Since you/your friend live in Mumbai, I can give you the reference of a very good doctor in town. If interested, PM me. I hope he is absoultely hale and hearty and devoid of any illness, but consulting a doctor (neurosurgeon) would clear the air.

Quote:
I don't think the brakes worked. I've always suspected the brakes on the TJet+ but now this raises that doubt to a whole new level. I wonder what the ABS did too. The car simply went on and hit the car in front.
The brakes must have worked. Since he had a blank spell, he would not have realized how hard or late he braked.

Quote:
Airbags did do anything. I am sure I was at a fairly high speed. Yes, the 'Check Airbag' / 'Airbag Malfunction' light is now on on the dash. But that is it.
IMO, airbags only inflate if its actually necessary. In this case, seat belts were enough to save your friend, hence the airbags did not deploy.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 4th December 2013 at 11:20.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 11:14   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

@adrena, glad you are safe and that nobody was hurt in the incident. The first thing you need to do is contact your insurance company and file a claim. Technically in any rear-ending the rear-ender is automatically at fault but in your case what you share with the company may give them a cause to deny you your claim. I am not an expert but you can check in the Insurance section of the forum.

Also, more importantly, please stop driving till your condition is diagnosed and you no longer pose a danger to yourself and others on the streets. It may sound like harsh advice but if you reflect on what went down, you will realise how fortunate you were that you didn't land up in a bigger soup than have.
noopster is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 11:26   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to what Noopster has advised you above regarding staying away from the car till you know what exactly went wrong.

Its actually remarkable that the car didn't suffer any more damages given your description of the accident. I would also advise you to wait for 4 days for the workshop that you trust to start functioning.
Old 4th December 2013, 11:33   #384
BHPian

+2 to what Noopster said. You definitely need to stay away from the car till you see a doctor.

Secondly, get the Insurance claim going rather than worrying about which dealership to go to. Glad that no one got hurt.
Old 4th December 2013, 11:35   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All...

Here is a post from a member who doesn't post too often but believes in this gang for help.

I will visit a doc to find out more but I am guessing work stress just got to my mind. During these seconds, I was hurtling down at a good speed (about 60+) towards a stopped Innova. Which part is true. The damaged Innova owner is not pressing any charges as he was more concerned about me than his car. I am paying for his damages separately.
  • I called Fortune Cars Andheri East as I know the GM there but they're changing themselves into Concorde so they cannot take the car for at least 4 more days.
  • Should I call the insurance company first and take it from there? I am with Future Generali in my second year with no claims made earlier.

get the Innova fixed and try to save as much money as I can. That is actually my priority list. Please do try to help me here.
Mate
IMO you should thank your stars and good fortune. Especially the Innova owner seems to be a real gentleman.

coming to the accident a few points.
TJet taken the brunt well. sturdy build.

second may be in panic the brakes were not fully deployed (can happen) saw this in a topgear programme in TV wherein the car expert driver teaches to use handbrake for additional braking in slopes seems pretty useful to learn and use.
Third may seem offensive pl do not mistake was
(1) any alcohol consumed in huge amounts within preceding 48hrs of the accident
(2) was this the first time (driving or non driving) you got the black out kind incident. Please do consult a neurophysician and take immediate remedies.

Happy journeys and long miles ahead
Old 4th December 2013, 11:49   #386
BHPian

My uncle was in a similar situation as your friend. He was driving his Honda City somewhere in Bangalore and suddenly there was a momentary lapse of memory which caused his car to swerve towards the divider. Luckily, it was only for a moment and he could control his vehicle before much damage was done. This was not the first time it happened to him. During earlier episodes, he was either at home or in office but was never behind the wheel. This episode was enough to put him away from driving till he consulted a doctor who said that a particular blood vessel to the brain was partially blocked. He prescribed some medicines to remove the block and thin the blood. He hasn't had these lapses ever since.

I beleive your friend too must have experienced something similar. It could also be the momentary lapse meant that he braked late expecially since he was at good speeds. Luckily he hit a vehicle rather than a pedestrian and he should thank his stars for that. Ask him to keep away from the streets till he is perfectly cured of this. I admire the Innova guy for his gentlemanly behaviour. Good to know such people still roam the streets of India.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 11:49   #387
BHPian

I completely understand the importance of remaining away from the wheel. This is the first time this happened. But there is no guarantee it will not repeat. So glad there was no one hurt from this. The Innova owner was more than helpful in getting me back to senses. Personally, I've taken the rickshaw to work today. Didn't have enough confidence of taking the bike also.

Coming back to next steps, after taking your advice, I feel this is what I should do:
  • Fortune cars is changing to Concorde so I can't take the car to them right away.
  • I'm thinking of calling the insurance guys and reporting the matter.
  • I know that if I tell them I blanked out, my claim goes out of the window. The Innova owner also advised me to report a traffic pile-up where the car in front just drove off. He will back me on this claim. (this is so wrong but I am desperate)
  • Wait for Fortune cars to open up and get the car to them.

Alternate plan:
  • Our friend Jatin Patel, Wagenwerks, has offered to inspect the car today.
  • He can take the car, I send the surveyor there, do a paid-up deal and close the insurance separately.
  • Fix Innova the same way

What do you guys recommend? I am certain looking for least pain and least cost route.

Once again, thanks for the concern shown. I sincerely hope such conditions don't harm anyone. Taught me the importance of proper rest.
adrena is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 13:31   #388
BHPian

Glad that everyone was safe in this accident.

Need to understand one thing, when u say the brakes did not work do u mean that the pedal became hard like a rock. It happened to one person's T-Jet+ I met in a forum. And sometimes I have also felt that during panic braking, the car does not gives an expected jerk, neither ABS judder. That situation becomes scary.

Regarding your friend blacking out, u mentioned he saw some smoke in cabin. I think the vehicle need to be inspected if any fume is entering the car through vents. It can be deadly CO.
It is not a smart idea to blindly rely on this car. I don't and I never will.

Also, tell your friend to get blood test done for sodium content. Exactly same thing happened to my brother in law in mirzapur when he blacked out and fell from his scooter in a secluded place bleeding from head for some half an hour when a passer-by rescued him. He was diagnosed with high sodium content in blood which was the reason for blacking out.

Looking at the damages the FASS will recommend bumper and bonnet replacement mostly. Expect an expense upwards of 60k to get the car back in shape like new. I will strongly recommend this rather than living with a bumper with a hole.

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 4th December 2013 at 13:35.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 13:38   #389
BHPian

Hi Adrean,

First of all thank god that no one got injured in this accident, and hope you will find solution/medicine for the issues you are facing. And regarding the damage how far is Thane from your place ? Is it possible for you to get the car till thane as Fiat has Authorized Service center there and they have really good setup for the accidental repairs and i know them very well.So let me know if you require any help.
A.S.S name is Balaji Motors.

Take Care, Drive safe.
Old 4th December 2013, 13:49   #390
BHPian

Hi Adrean

First and foremost glad that you did not have injuries, secondly please don 't put off visiting the doctor, by blank spell did you mean you lost vision?. do make sure its nothing serious.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks