Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2015, 23:06   #541
BHPian

Re: Spark rear bumper hit

I too got rear ended today when a guy in a SX4 behind me couldn't stop in time while I was trying to take a U turn. The Cause for not braking on time? I have no clue at all. Somehow he just didn't see my turn indicator and thought I would just go straight!! And then followed the usual 'Sorry' post which he just took off! I took it to a local bumper repair shop near Vasant Kunj, Delhi where the Bumper was put back in shape and the guy also removed the white SX4 paint. It's as good as new now. Total Cost - Rs. 300

I don't have the 'after' pic now but here's the 'before' pic

Need advice after Accident-polo.jpg
aashish_84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 23:30   #542
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar dent on my Micra long back and I was so worried initially. But after getting home, I put a long stick and poked back from the inside and voila, the bumper returned back to near normal. Though if I observe closely, there is a slight evidence that the bumper was once banged.

And another time, a worse dent happened on the front bumper from dad. I similarly poked it with difficulty from down under and it almost got back to shape. But after a month, now the front bumper show no signs of a dent!

I have seen many a car running around with similar dent and may be you guys should try it as long as there is no loss of paint or internal damage to any steel member. Not even the bumper removed.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 09:35   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are OK living with these slight scratches, go to a good body shop, they will reform your bumper. Its just a matter of half a day, and a couple of hundreds of bucks job.

If not, reform the bumper, and paint it. It will cost you 2-3 thousand bucks.

In any case, I dont think loosing a 45% NCB over this is worth it.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 10:29   #544
Team-BHP Support

This is too small to require any body work. Just put your hand inside the wheel well and push it out yourself.

If you claim insurance you will lose the NCB which is huge for such a small impact. Remember NCB can be transferred to your next car as well.

If you go to any body shop, they will charge you for tinkering and painting, maybe 3K total. Colour matching may not be 100% and nothing will match a factory finish.

Best is to pull it out yourself and then get brush touchup done for the black streaks where the paint has come off.

No point in asking that guy to pay, cause getting it repaired is more of a hassle.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 13:39   #545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamliner17 View Post

The reason why i want a quote from the surveyor is to get a proper evaluation done of the total damages....
The only evaluation you'll get from most insurance guys is damage to your pocket, and most likely an inflated one. If you want an honest quote, find a reliable mechanic or body workshop. Plenty to choose from in the T-BHP directory.

Quote:
.......can the claim be cancelled at this stage?
Unless your claim has already been processed, you can speak to your surveyor/insurer and request a cancellation. Compare cost of claiming insurance (actual claim costs + lost NCB) with non-insurance repairs, then choose whatever works best for you.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st June 2015 at 13:42.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 14:14   #546
BHPian

Hey guys. This very morning, an inattentive lady in a Honda city rear ended my 9 months old waggy at bumper to bumper speeds. She didn't even stop when I signaled her to pullover and thus I'll have to dig my own pocket to get this repaired.
I contacted Trend automobiles (quite popular on this forum ) in Bangalore and sent them the pictures of the dent on the hatch door and they came back saying that it requires tinkering and painting work and quoted around 4k for the same.
Now I am confused on whether to go through the insurance route or otherwise if the cost is in the vicinity of 4-5k.
Not sure why paintless dent removal wasn't an option since I couldn't notice any paint damage.
Some pictures for your viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-1433148241944.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-1433148265383.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-1433148278865.jpg  

Old 1st June 2015, 14:25   #547
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need advice after Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
Not sure why paintless dent removal wasn't an option.......
The dent-puller devices most workshops use aren't effective on dents along a surface crease/bend or other such uneven surfaces. Most of them don't bother with more expensive equipment as it's cheaper to tinker/repaint.
Old 1st June 2015, 15:35   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys. This very morning, an inattentive lady in a Honda city rear ended my 9 months old waggy at bumper to bumper speeds. She didn't even stop when I signaled her to pullover and thus I'll have to dig my own pocket to get this repaired.
I contacted Trend automobiles (quite popular on this forum ) in Bangalore and sent them the pictures of the dent on the hatch door and they came back saying that it requires tinkering and painting work and quoted around 4k for the same.
Now I am confused on whether to go through the insurance route or otherwise if the cost is in the vicinity of 4-5k.
Not sure why paintless dent removal wasn't an option since I couldn't notice any paint damage.
Some pictures for your viewing.
Speaking from my own personal experience, having a car that bears the scars of daily commute in B2B traffic, I would say leave the dent as is. Paint appears to be intact, and I would think the hatch operation is not affected? If so, do nothing now. Allow your car to accumulate more such "scars", and after a few years, get a more comprehensive paint job done.
Old 1st June 2015, 16:16   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The only evaluation you'll get from most insurance guys is damage to your pocket, and most likely an inflated one.
Unless your claim has already been processed, you can speak to your surveyor/insurer and request a cancellation.
Yes i agree with that. I won't be going for the insurance claim.

Had a talk with Bharati AXA in the morning. They said that the claim can be withdrawn but the policy holder (my mother) has to make the withdrawal request stating the reason for withdrawal.

I will take the car to a local mechanic for repair
Old 1st June 2015, 18:21   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Insurance claim is an option only when you calculate what you stand to lose on NCB. If you think the advantage of NCB is not enough to cover what you are paying out of your own pocket (or will continue to pay assuming some or the other damage that you will incur in coming times), then by all means take the claim, I mean that's what insurance is for.

Unless this bothers you so much that you cannot stand the sight of it, I'd suggest you leave it as it is (assuming the boot door functionality is intact).

If you MUST get it repaired, use the directory to check out some local yet reputed body shops and avoid taking it to A.S.S. as their quote would always be higher than any other local body shop. A lot of times the local body shops will do a dry dent repair when A.S.S. would conveniently choose to repaint.

Of course, if you go the insurance way then A.S.S. is the way to go.
Old 2nd June 2015, 19:40   #551
BHPian

Thanks for your responses guys. I've decided to live with this dent for now as it isn't affecting the hatch door operation.
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:02   #552
BHPian

Re: Road accident- suggestions sought on course of action

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
On the 12th of May, 2015, I was driving to office inside film city Mumbai, and at the last right turn before office, I was just into the turn when a motorcyclist tried to rush past, hit the front corner of my car and crashed.
I just read this post and the reactions below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Firstly, He was overtaking from the left, so it's his fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

1) Overtaking from the left side is wrong specially when it has happened on an intersection for vehicles making left turn and the marks on your car should prove you innocent.
I might be missing something here, but how did you guys infer that the biker was overtaking from the left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
and at the last right turn before office, I was just into the turn when a motorcyclist tried to rush past. I had actually seen him in the rear view mirror. As he rushed past, I turned left again on reflex and that turned the indicator off.
According to me, the OP's comments seem to indicate that he was taking a right turn, and the biker was trying to squeeze through from the right:
1. During normal driving behavior, we look into the rear view mirror of the side we are taking a turn into. So, assuming the OP was taking a right turn and was looking into the right hand ORVM while doing so, the biker was probably trying to overtake from the right (since he could see the biker in the mirror)

2. Again, if your reflex is to turn left to avoid an accident, the obstacle is probably on your right

Question: Assuming the OP had given an indicator to turn right and the biker was overtaking from the correct side when he was hit, who is at fault here?
Old 2nd June 2015, 21:03   #553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyDeewar View Post
.....Assuming the OP had given an indicator to turn right and the biker was overtaking from the correct side when he was hit, who is at fault here?
This isn't about the 'side' at all, correct or otherwise. If the leading vehicle has indicated a maneuver in advance and proceeds to execute it properly & safely, the following vehicle is wrong in trying to barge into that space, side of approach notwithstanding.

If the following vehicle was already in the space that the leading vehicle is now trying to occupy while executing its maneuver, it's the leading vehicles fault for not watching where they're going.

We have too many people on our streets (on all sorts/number of wheels) who think they have the right of way just because they indicated their intent to occupy that space. The rule is 'Indicate, Watch & Move when safe', NOT 'Indicate & Barge' or 'Barge because you can'.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd June 2015 at 21:09.
Old 2nd June 2015, 22:00   #554
BANNED

Quote:
I just read this post and the reactions below...

I might be missing something here, but how did you guys infer that the biker was overtaking from the left?
I agree and I apologize that I misread the OP's post. He was taking a right turn and the bike did squeeze from the right to overtake.

--------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Question:Assuming the OP had given an indicator to turn right and the biker was overtaking from the correct side when he was hit, who is at fault here?
Now coming to your question: My answer is the BIKER!

The right indicator given by any vehicle means WHAT to any road user?

It means that the vehicle indicating will be turning right at the intersection so drivers coming from the rear may either hold onto their overtaking maneuver OR overtake from the left side for going straight.

A few cases below:
  1. Now when that has been done by the OP, isn't it a blatant mistake by the biker to squeeze in and overtake?
  2. The biker could have been in the OP's blind spot hence OP missing the biker in his R-ORVM.
  • It is NOT the issue of side (overtaking is always to be done from the right side) BUT the issue of negligence of the biker to spot that right indicator shown by the OP.

• It is the issue of the biker ignoring the indicator given by the OP and overtaking assuming he would pass the car before it can turn right which sadly it didn't.

• If OP is at fault then usage of indicators is a waste and only increases costs of manufacturing.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 09:32   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
This isn't about the 'side' at all, correct or otherwise. If the leading vehicle has indicated a maneuver in advance and proceeds to execute it properly & safely, the following vehicle is wrong in trying to barge into that space, side of approach notwithstanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is NOT the issue of side (overtaking is always to be done from the right side) BUT the issue of negligence of the biker to spot that right indicator shown by the OP.

Thanks, and . I must confess, the reason I asked the question was because a few responses seemed to suggest that the biker was overtaking from the left and therefore was wrong - had me confused. As rightly put by you, its not so much the side, but the fact that the OP had indicated his intention in advance which the biker failed to notice.

Most Viewed