Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 10:14   #556
BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Well, here is an update. The biker supposedly was hospitalised (though he did have the energy and strength to box me in the face) and had to have a plate installed in his shoulder. His colleagues spoke to me on the phone asking for money. They said his hospital bill was Rs 1.5 lacs. So I said I can not pay anything worthwhile, so you should go to the police.

Since then there has been no communication from them. Some missing document may have held them back.

Also to clarify, I was turning right with my right turn indicator on and the biker tried to speed past by my right. Which is still wrong since I had indicated my plan to turn.
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:03   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Well, here is an update. The biker supposedly was hospitalised (though he did have the energy and strength to box me in the face) and had to have a plate installed in his shoulder. His colleagues spoke to me on the phone asking for money. They said his hospital bill was Rs 1.5 lacs. So I said I can not pay anything worthwhile, so you should go to the police.

Since then there has been no communication from them. Some missing document may have held them back.

Also to clarify, I was turning right with my right turn indicator on and the biker tried to speed past by my right. Which is still wrong since I had indicated my plan to turn.
Hope you have already registered a report then in the police station from your side.
If he would likely have hospital treatment evidence and doctor reports too, he will certainly file a hit and run report (since you suggested him to go to the police) which will make your life miserable.
The cops are always looking out for such cases as they get a cut from the outside settlement which happens in most of the cases.

Dont assume the guy will keep quite and become comfortable. It may be a sign of "calm before the storm". Not trying to scare you but just be prepared is all I am suggesting.

Last edited by racer_m : 3rd June 2015 at 12:09.
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 14:16   #558
BHPian

Update !

The bumper is repaired and the issue is resolved with the party. The party repaired the car at 'their' known garage and the cost incurred is undisclosed to me. The bumper was heated with a 'gas torch' from the inside of the wheel arch and there was no need to remove the bumper. The 'affected' part of the bumper was pushed outside using a rod. The internal chassis/frame was intact and had no visible signs of damage. I was also concerned since i had the lpg filler area right above the bumper, and luckily the impact was only to the bumper. Just a paint touch up was done, after cleaning, to remove the black creases.

Lesson learnt: You win some, you lose some.
Some things have to be compromised and it is a practical way out.
Claiming insurance for small things is 'futile' and though it seems very tempting to claim insurance, there are things which can be sorted out with the help of a local mechanic.
And lastly, all credits to the people who helped me in making this decision at Team-BHP
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-img_20150604_124254.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-img_20150604_124306.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-img_20150604_124443.jpg  

Old 4th June 2015, 14:26   #559
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamliner17 View Post
Some things have to be compromised and it is a practical way out.

Claiming insurance for small things is 'futile' and though it seems very tempting to claim insurance, there are things which can be sorted out with the help of a local mechanic.
Hats off to the party for getting it repaired themselves rather than troubling you by ignoring calls and messages. Thank the party from my side for a sportive attitude.

Whatever happens, happens for good. As long as the car is back to normal and quality of workmanship is good, certain things can be ignored for a peaceful resolution. I have seen many cases go awry due to heated arguments.
You must be relaxed that the bumper is back to normal worth any much damage.

Happy and safe driving.
Old 4th June 2015, 15:46   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Whatever happens, happens for good. As long as the car is back to normal and quality of workmanship is good, certain things can be ignored for a peaceful resolution. I have seen many cases go awry due to heated arguments.
You must be relaxed that the bumper is back to normal worth any much damage.
It feels good that i did not get into an argument with him immediately after the incident. Also the boy was a youngster, a few years +/- my age. Rather than me making an issue about ' What were you doing behind the wheel? Didn't you see cars ahead of you stop at the signal? Why couldn't you stop in time? Or whatever the negligence might be ?', i just told him in the end, that i will claim insurance and you will foot the bill, and we left. Next day he himself realized that insurance might be a lose-lose situation for both and he suggested that he will get it repaired locally. I don't know if he learnt any lessons, but i surely did. These are incidences of 'panic' and it becomes very easy to lose your calm and fight back or become overly aggressive. It was fortunate that he was co-operative and things were peaceful. With the majority of people involved in such cases seldom taking responsibility (whoever may be at fault!), it becomes a big mess. This surely teaches you more about Insurance, Local Mechanics and Human Behaviour
dreamliner17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:48   #561
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Unfortunately, I met up with an accident yesterday. I was on my way to attend my Company's Annual Day function in a resort in Bangalore when there was a series of back-to-back car crashes. Apparently the first car hard stopped (Micra), the second in line (Sumo) in front of me stopped suddenly and I was third to take the brunt of things. I slammed my brakes but the braking distance was too short for the car to come to a halt. Consequently, the bonnet, front bumper, chrome grill and A/C condenser were damaged. I was at a max speed of 40kmph when this happened. I dread imagining what would have happened if I was travelling faster.

Repair charges are estimated to be 37,000 odd rupees currently. I will get to know the exact amount sometime next week once all the repairs are done.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-img_20150701_143741005_hdr-copy.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2015, 17:54   #562
BHPian

All you need is a new bonnet.
Condenser - maybe
Bumper may need some paint + some hammer, unless you want it like brand new
Headlights may need realigning.

37000 is too high. See if you can buy the part and get it done yourself with someone known.

Last edited by aerohit : 2nd July 2015 at 17:56.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 18:00   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post

Bumper may need some paint.
Some

37000 is too high. See if you can buy the part and get it done yourself with someone known.
Agreed. But this being my first car, I haven't tinkered anything around myself yet. Since it is also under warranty, I wouldn't like foregoing it in case anything goes wrong later on.
Old 2nd July 2015, 19:46   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsaumik View Post

Agreed. But this being my first car, I haven't tinkered anything around myself yet. Since it is also under warranty, I wouldn't like foregoing it in case anything goes wrong later on.
Quote:

Repair charges are estimated to be 37,000 odd rupees currently.
Hey palsaumik you can try one of these alternate options, if at all you you have not yet dropped off your car at Honda:

Sai Colorium

Trend Automobiles

From what I understand, these folks can also help you with your insurance claims.

P.S -
Usually the OEM workshops cost a lot more and personally I prefer these professional body repair guys. However, I do not endorse either of them.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 2nd July 2015 at 19:47.
Old 2nd July 2015, 19:57   #565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Condenser - maybe
Bumper may need some paint + some hammer, unless you want it like brand new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey palsaumik you can try one of these alternate options, if at all you you have not yet dropped off your car at Honda:
Guys, please don't suggest third party repair shops for damages such as these.

In this case, the bonnet needs to be completely replaced not tinkered. The bonnet is designed to crumple and once this happens you cant just hammer it back with the same structural design. Secondly a hand tinkered bonnet will never have the same finish as a new one.

Also, the car does not look very old and within warranty. Any outside work will void warranty on the vehicle.

Changing AC condenser from outside guy is not at all recommended for a vehicle under warranty.

The car will be fully insured so palsaumik need only pay the difference which will not be substantial. So there's no point in saving insurance company money and losing the structural design as well as warranty.

This type of damage is best handled by the dealership.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:07   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsaumik View Post
Unfortunately, I met up with an accident yesterday. I was on my way to attend my Company's Annual Day function in a resort in Bangalore when there was a series of back-to-back car crashes. Apparently the first car hard stopped (Micra), the second in line (Sumo) in front of me stopped suddenly and I was third to take the brunt of things. I slammed my brakes but the braking distance was too short for the car to come to a halt. Consequently, the bonnet, front bumper, chrome grill and A/C condenser were damaged. I was at a max speed of 40kmph when this happened. I dread imagining what would have happened if I was travelling faster.

Repair charges are estimated to be 37,000 odd rupees currently. I will get to know the exact amount sometime next week once all the repairs are done.
Mate try to go through insurance. Or there is one more option. My father too had a similar situation where there was dent on the sides of the car. He took the vehicle to a guy who specializes in removing dents. He is based near Vyalikaval (not sure of the exact place but i can get u his details). He removed the dents and it cost my father Rs 2500.
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:20   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Mate try to go through insurance. Or there is one more option. My father too had a similar situation where there was dent on the sides of the car. He took the vehicle to a guy who specializes in removing dents. He is based near Vyalikaval (not sure of the exact place but i can get u his details). He removed the dents and it cost my father Rs 2500.
OT, Suresh, could you please post the details anyway? I need some dents removed from my Figo. You can PM me as this is not relevant for this thread.
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:51   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Guys, please don't suggest third party repair shops for damages such as these.

In this case, the bonnet needs to be completely replaced not tinkered.

This type of damage is best handled by the dealership.
Hmmm not sure who, when and where recommended 'bonnet tinkering'. You may have misunderstood.

The reason for self fix or outside fix was recommended because

1) It appears to be cosmetic damage and simple plug and play fix + minor realignment of hinges and mounts.
2) quote doesnt add up- maybe because victim wants everything replaced.

But since it is a new car then I agree with insurance claim with dealer.

Also, I am not sure if Honda sells parts directly to customers like Maruti.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:16   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

In this case, the bonnet needs to be completely replaced not tinkered. The bonnet is designed to crumple and once this happens you cant just hammer it back with the same structural design. Secondly a hand tinkered bonnet will never have the same finish as a new one.
Quote:

Hmmm not sure who, when and where recommended 'bonnet tinkering'. You may have misunderstood.
Hey Vid6639, I think I probably was misunderstood or may be was not very clear on my post. As aerohit has posted, I actually did not suggest or recommend third party body repair workshops.

Also, please correct me if I am wrong here, but I really don't think Honda would replace the bonnet with a new one. Also, I don't think the condenser that has been damaged accidentally, is covered under warranty.

But all said and done, I think palsaumik has already left his car at the Honda dealership and for all we know, he might be awaiting a final quote on the repairs !!
Old 2nd July 2015, 22:13   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Also, please correct me if I am wrong here, but I really don't think Honda would replace the bonnet with a new one. Also, I don't think the condenser that has been damaged accidentally, is covered under warranty.
Tinkering on the bonnet is very very difficult so the standard practice is replace. For the extent of damages palsaumik has faced, it's a sure shot replace.

Regarding the condensor. It won't be under warranty but if you do it outside and something goes wrong, your entire cars warranty is gone for any future issues.

Moreover it will be very difficult to get a new Honda bumper, condenser and bonnet from outside. Possible but not easy.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed