Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 22:47   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsaumik View Post
Unfortunately, I met up with an accident yesterday. I was on my way to attend my Company's Annual Day function in a resort in Bangalore when there was a series of back-to-back car crashes. Apparently the first car hard stopped (Micra), the second in line (Sumo) in front of me stopped suddenly and I was third to take the brunt of things. I slammed my brakes but the braking distance was too short for the car to come to a halt. Consequently, the bonnet, front bumper, chrome grill and A/C condenser were damaged. I was at a max speed of 40kmph when this happened. I dread imagining what would have happened if I was travelling faster.

Repair charges are estimated to be 37,000 odd rupees currently. I will get to know the exact amount sometime next week once all the repairs are done.
I too faced a similar situation. A private bus rammed into the rear portion of my car resulting in dent.
When i gave the car to the body shop, the insurance person called me to say that it is not possible to remove the dents by tinkering. Instead they will replace the rear door with a new one.
Same thing applies in your case also.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:57   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Guys, please don't suggest third party repair shops for damages such as these.

In this case, the bonnet needs to be completely replaced not tinkered. The bonnet is designed to crumple and once this happens you cant just hammer it back with the same structural design. Secondly a hand tinkered bonnet will never have the same finish as a new one.

Also, the car does not look very old and within warranty. Any outside work will void warranty on the vehicle.

Changing AC condenser from outside guy is not at all recommended for a vehicle under warranty.

The car will be fully insured so palsaumik need only pay the difference which will not be substantial. So there's no point in saving insurance company money and losing the structural design as well as warranty.

This type of damage is best handled by the dealership.
Absolutely, agree, Vid6639. I don't have to worry much as Honda Assure (ICICI Lombard) is taking care of everything, mostly. This is a 1 year 2 months old car though. Honda's inspection guy mentioned that they wont tinker with anything but replace all that is damaged. I was fine with it as I personally do not want any leftover damaged or repaired part(s) in this car to linger around me any more.

Previous to this accident, I had once visited Mahindra First Choice for interior foam cleaning and happened to meet the outlet owner. He mentioned that they are unable to carry out any major replacement works in Brio as Honda doesn't sell most of the spares outside/local market. So, I doubt they would be able to fix these. And I wouldn't give it to anyone else other than Honda, so it doesn't really matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I too faced a similar situation. A private bus rammed into the rear portion of my car resulting in dent.
When i gave the car to the body shop, the insurance person called me to say that it is not possible to remove the dents by tinkering. Instead they will replace the rear door with a new one.
Same thing applies in your case also.
Yup, 100% true. Same story here.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd July 2015 at 11:01. Reason: merging posts. Please use the edit or multi-quote option if posting within 30mins on same thread.
Old 3rd July 2015, 12:04   #573
BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Below are the charges Honda has estimated for the repair works. Do they look OK or am I being overcharged at any point?
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-1.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-2.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2015, 14:14   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Below are the charges Honda has estimated for the repair works. Do they look OK or am I being overcharged at any point?
Did you get the quote from the insurance company. If the bonnet has to be replaced, why go through the dealership. They will milk the money out of your wallet. I would suggest you to go through insurance
Old 3rd July 2015, 16:43   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Did you get the quote from the insurance company. If the bonnet has to be replaced, why go through the dealership. They will milk the money out of your wallet. I would suggest you to go through insurance
Sorry - didn't quite get that. My car is currently at the Honda Workshop and Insurance guys are working with them. I am definitely claiming insurance (ICICI Lombard). This is the rough estimate they give me and explained that once all the repair works are done, insurance will calculate how much they are covering and the balance I would need to pay.

Do let me know if I am missing something here
palsaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 17:45   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry - didn't quite get that. My car is currently at the Honda Workshop and Insurance guys are working with them. I am definitely claiming insurance (ICICI Lombard). This is the rough estimate they give me and explained that once all the repair works are done, insurance will calculate how much they are covering and the balance I would need to pay.

Do let me know if I am missing something here
Mate , Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that you intend to get the vehicle rectified without going through insurance. Sorry about that.
Old 3rd July 2015, 17:48   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It seems fair. Though, I'm surprised at the price of the AC condenser! That's a bit steep, but then I've no idea about Honda spares. None of the charges mentioned look superfluous. I mean, gyppy in nature.
Do you have 0 dep cover?
Old 5th July 2015, 14:34   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsaumik;
Consequently, the bonnet, front bumper, chrome grill and A/C condenser were damaged.
Sad your new car had to get hit this way in a serial collision. While on the outside things are bad, please also get your structure assessed. The impact at above 35kmph usually can have caused the crumple zone to have absorbed the impact. It may if not checked and rectified render the car not crash worthy at higher speeds.
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:25   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
Sad your new car had to get hit this way in a serial collision. While on the outside things are bad, please also get your structure assessed. The impact at above 35kmph usually can have caused the crumple zone to have absorbed the impact. It may if not checked and rectified render the car not crash worthy at higher speeds.
I got this checked at Honda and they have certified (sort of verbally) that there's no impact to the structure. Also checked the internal metal joints (front area) for any cracks, all appeared OK.

Thanks to all the BHPians for all the help and advice. Truly appreciated
Old 27th July 2015, 17:26   #580
BHPian

Finally got my car back last week. Total cost invoice was Rs. 36,852 of which I had to pay Rs. 5,600. They replaced the bonnet, front grille, bumper and AC condenser. The paint job was excellent too with zero shade variation. Thanks.
palsaumik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 20:40   #581
BHPian

Hi everyone, Require your urgent advice for the unfortunate accident I had today morning.

My pre-worshipped Chevy Optra Magnum rammed into a moving bus while trying to overtake it since the bus drive mistook my overtaking maneuver (he thought I would overtake from the left) and sharply turned right as I was accelerating and about to cross him. This resulted in me braking hard however, it was too late and the entire left side of the car faced the brunt of the impact (the photos will give the idea). After the accident, the bus sped off so there is no chance of knowing who it was. There were two of us in the car however, noone was hurt despite the front door glass shattering.

The car engine is fine, infact I drove it back home and then called a tow to take it to the service centre. The right side front wheel also bore the impact of the divider which I hit in the process of avoiding the bus (the alloy broke and the tyre is punctured/torn).

The car is with Kropex chevrolet (as it is close to my house) and I have filed a claim with L&T (the insurance I have).

I have been given a massive estimate of 2lakhs for the damages. The kropex insurance lady put in everything for insurance like the front bumber and the rear door which may not be required to change.

The car was purchased 4 months back from the owner so the insurance is in his name. The RC is still in the owners name (I have got the clearance certificate from the previous owner's RTO, but haven't had time to change the RC). The IDV is 4.45 lakhs

Kropex has taken the insurance in his name and said that there should not be a problem.The L&T surveyor should be coming to visit either tomorrow or day after.

I have two main questions and really would request help as this is my first major accident:
1) Will there be a problem with insurance since the car is not transferred to my name ?
2) Isnt the estimate given by Kropex a lot! They say parts are very expensive for the optra magnum. Should I look elsewhere instead?

Any help and advice is appreciated!

Photos below
Need advice after Accident-20150830_1017411024x576.jpg

Need advice after Accident-20150830_114030800x450.jpg

Need advice after Accident-20150830_114032800x450.jpg
Old 30th August 2015, 23:03   #582
Senior - BHPian

The rear door will be replaced in all probability. There's damage to the A pillar & maybe the roof too just where the windshield turns. looking at the parts on the left side there's nearly 50k in major bits alone not counting paint, labour and other smaller parts and consumables.

In your current scenario better stick with Korpex, outside may not be a smooth ride as far as insurance is concerned.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 23:24   #583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
1) Will there be a problem with insurance since the car is not transferred to my name ?
2) Isnt the estimate given by Kropex a lot! They say parts are very expensive for the optra magnum. Should I look elsewhere instead?

Any help and advice is appreciated!
1. Shouldn't cause a problem as long as the insurance company is okay with it. They will mention that the owner was not driving the car but you were, and you were licensed to drive. Worst case the previous owner might need to sign the forms if he indeed is the theoretical owner.

2. Insurance estimates are always given in a worst case scenario. All the costs are purposely bloated up and additional parts are estimated to need replacement though it may not be necessary. The surveyor will tone down some labor charges and approve only the company fixed rates. Coming to parts, the estimate should include all the possible parts needing replacement whether or not damaged since once it's finalized, the ASC can't add stuff into the bill. Hence they give a worst case estimate and it needn't mean that the final bill will be so much. You can look at around 20% lesser bill at least, if not lesser.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 23:36   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

1. Shouldn't cause a problem as long as the insurance company is okay with it. They will mention that the owner was not driving the car but you were, and you were licensed to drive. Worst case the previous owner might need to sign the forms if he indeed is the theoretical owner.
Wouldn't the insurance holder lose any ncb, if gathered?
Also, would an insurance firm show such largesse if they have a way out, that ownership is transferred but insurance is not?
Am just asking, because I don't know really.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 23:41   #585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have two main questions and really would request help as this is my first major accident:
Looks you have a lucky escape and should thank God for saving , this could have been more nasty .

I will suggest to stick with showroom guys as normally they have relations with Insurance guys . Most likely you will need to take help of previous owner who is registered on RC . I remember having signed some papers for my X5 on behalf of new owner who did not got ownership changed for a while .
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed