Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2016, 20:21   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Met with an accident - Sell the car or repair and use?

Can you post a picture to highlight the extent of damage? That would help judge the course of action better.

A bent monocoque chassis needs to be straightened out and this work needs to be done by a professional (with the right equipment) at the ASC. The repaired chassis may not be as strong.

I think it might be better to let go if he's willing(and has the $$$) to buy a new car.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 20:24   #617
Senior - BHPian

Sell. With that kind of damage, with whatever expert repairs carried out, it will never be restored to it's previous condition and will never drive true, leave alone the resale value after repairs. I would never keep such a car.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 21:36   #618
BHPian

Appreciate your replies! Will request him to send across the pics of possible.
The ASC and an independent garage - both are of the opinion that the car can be made road worthy again. However, i have doubts weather it will ever be the same again.
Old 15th August 2016, 22:14   #619
Senior - BHPian

Please also post the breakdown of the 2.3L that has been quoted. It would give a clear picture of what is being replaced/repaired.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 23:34   #620
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Appreciate your replies! Will request him to send across the pics of possible. The ASC and an independent garage - both are of the opinion that the car can be made road worthy again. However, i have doubts weather it will ever be the same again.
I am feeling sorry for your friend for the accident but very happy that he and the passengers are out unscathed. Please do share pictures of the accident that will help us gauge the seriousness of the damage and whether it worthy to drive post repair and what amount is being quoted for repairs is it justifiable or is the ASC looting.

If the accident damage is too high then it is better to be sold off as a repaired car will NEVER have the safety and strength as a new car that is just off the production line. Loss of money is better (read selling and buying a new one) but that is better than being sorry later.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 08:42   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of years back, when I met with an accident, I was in a similar situation on whether to keep the car or sell the car(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-page-8-a.html). After advise from my friends and bhpians, I decided to let it go. It was really a tough decision as the car was in excellent condition prior to the accident,

Mine was a 2011 Dzire with 75K on ODO, the repair estimate was close to 2.65L

Here are few factors that I considered,
  • Resale value will take a big hit.
  • Initial estimate can go up further once the work starts or after a test drive. Some times the estimate can come down as well.
  • The car may not get to the same state as it was before
  • In future for any issues, the service center guys may link it to the accident
  • We may need to live with rattling issues
  • Replacing air-bag and the sensors linked to it by the service center is a question mark, it wont match to the factory fit one
  • Alignment issues
  • Reliability issues
  • And it had already done 75K Kms
So, insurance paid the IDV which was 5L and I moved on with a new car after some initial search in used market.

During the last 2 years, the ownership of this car has changed twice, so I guess that the owners were not happy with its reliability anymore.

As requested by others, pics of the car will help.
arun_josie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 09:56   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Would request inputs from our team on what would be a better proposition? To repair and sell off the car or use it post repairs till it can run safely/reliably?
Few years back I had a severe accident with my then car - a Swift zxi. The total cost of repair was approx 2.3 lac, I paid 85K from my pocket. I used the car trouble free for next 5 years and 60K kms after which I decided to sell.

Nowadays the workshops have good equipment to do a very good job of the repairs. Unless the car had major chassis/engine repair I would suggest fixing it and using it. (repairing even the engine is also feasible BTW)..

Selling the car now will not fetch you anything, better to use it till it lasts and then sell after declaring your accident to the next buyer for what it is worth then!..

My 2 cents.
smekad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 10:46   #623
BHPian

Thank you all for pouring in your views/suggestions and detailed reasons for the same! Highly appreciate it!

I have requested for the pics from my friend and he might be able to send those by today evening / tomorrow afternoon. Will post the pics as soon as I have them. Additionally will request for the parts list which has been identified as damaged and their cost break up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Couple of years back, when I met with an accident, I was in a similar situation on whether to keep the car or sell the car(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-page-8-a.html).
Thanks for the link. Have gone through your thread and it does help!
Old 16th August 2016, 10:55   #624
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, I am glad the occupants of the car got out relatively unscathed.

While it is possible that a repair will get the car back into running condition, and that the repair work could be reliable, it depends entirely on exactly what is being repaired and how.

First step would be to decide how much your friend loves the car, and your friend's financial position. If he/she loves the car like it was a son, and assuming that he/she has about a lakh spare cash lying around, then proceed to step 2. Else, scrap the car and start thinking about buying a new car.

Step 2 would be to assess the repair work. Take an independent technical expert along and decide if the repair will hold up, and there is a good chance the car will feel the same as before. Here again, if the consensus is that the repair is a hit or miss, then sell the car and start thinking about buying a new car.

The reality of any repair after a major crash is that the car will never, ever, be as safe as it was. Let your friend know this. Another similar shunt could lead to loss of life and limb.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 16th August 2016 at 10:56.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 13:47   #625
BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

@Mods: Thank you for shifting the thread to its right place!

I have received the car pics and the estimate he has received from the insurance company.

Need advice after Accident-20160806_170617.jpg

Need advice after Accident-20160806_170633.jpg

Need advice after Accident-page_1.jpg

Need advice after Accident-page_2.jpg

Need advice after Accident-page_3.jpg

Hope this further helps in suggesting the best approach which can be taken further.
I have shared the link of this thread with the owner of the car. Will post questions on his behalf.

As always, highly appreciate your inputs and suggestions! Thank you!
Old 16th August 2016, 14:18   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Mods: Thank you for shifting the thread to its right place!

I have received the car pics and the estimate he has received from the insurance company.

As always, highly appreciate your inputs and suggestions! Thank you!
Is the front LH wheel up in the air? From the picture it looks so. I feel that the chassis has taken a proper hit. There could be some degree of buckling which will affect handling. I would just part ways with such a car. However, I dont want to jump to conclusions. In case the wheels are in line and only the area near the pillar has gone inside, then this can be repairable with a new left side and a pair of doors. However, from a structural perspective the impact has been distributed along the entire side. The car will mostly have left tracking issue unless the work is done to perfection.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 14:48   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Is the front LH wheel up in the air? --snip--. The car will mostly have left tracking issue unless the work is done to perfection.
Thank you!

No, the LH wheel is not in the air. Angle of the pic makes it feel so. Car is on ground on all its four wheels. Though the RH rear rim has a slight bend as well as there is a dink on the RH running board at the bottom of the B-pillar. Nothing serious though.

When I viewed the car from the left front and rear, to my un-trained eyes, the wheels did not feel to be in straight line as compared to the ride side.
Also, though it is not clear from the pics, the passenger seat in front has moved in by a few inches. The car was hoisted on a lift and apparently, there does not seem to be too much damage on the under body.
Old 16th August 2016, 16:42   #628
BANNED

Quote:
I have received the car pics and the estimate he has received from the insurance company!
Sir, Please avoid getting this car repaired. The running board area and B-pillar seems to have taken the major part of the hit.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 18:12   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sir, Please avoid getting this car repaired. The running board area and B-pillar seems to have taken the major part of the hit.
First, thank you for your valuable input!
Second, I am no 'Sir'!! Just a normal IT Junkiee! My friends call me 'AJs' and would prefer that over 'Sir'!

Apart from that, I personally feel, Figo has taken the hit pretty well and kept the occupants safe!
Old 16th August 2016, 19:53   #630
BANNED

Quote:
Apart from that, I personally feel, Figo has taken the hit pretty well and kept the occupants safe!
Exactly AJ.

The car has protected it's occupants very well and IMO it is has done is part for what it was designed though the damage to its skeleton is major to get repaired and be worthy for usage.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed