Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2018, 17:30   #751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack_himanshu View Post

Insurance person saying that your car is repairable and we will give approval for repair, hence they are not considering it for total loss. According to them for car to be treated as total loss it should be irreparable.

If I want to go for monetary value then only it will be for 7 lacs only.
What the insurance person is saying sounds true. My sister crashed Wagon R and I wanted to give it in for total loss as we were sure she would be moving to Canada within months. Having to hold on to a car that had crash repairs meant lot of trouble for me when it came to selling the car and also niggles that crop up post repairs in case I keep the vehicle.

Tried discussing the idea of total loss with insurance guys and came to know that :
a. If cost of repairs exceed IDV, IDV is shelled out and
b. If the cost of repairs is approximately 80% of IDV or more, then the owner can discuss getting 80% or the respective percentage of IDV. This is not always done, but can be discussed and taken forward.

Insurance firm in my case was Bajaj Allianz.

So you will get IDV of vehicle only if repair costs exceeds IDV. Else, insurance firm will push you to get the car repaired. Try to push for total loss, in case of repairs there's a chance of getting unforeseen out of pocket expenses during repairs.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 13th February 2018 at 17:37.
Old 14th February 2018, 11:38   #752
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen the list of parts needed for repair. It does not contain any component related to axle. The service adviser also suggested that its better you take the money as in re-sale I may not get same amount of money.
They will say what the agent feeds them with. My humble opinion is to get a second opinion. If there is chassis damage or misalignment, its just not worth it.
Old 15th February 2018, 17:25   #753
BANNED

Quote:
I have seen the list of parts needed for repair. It does not contain any component related to axle. The service adviser also suggested that its better you take the money as in re-sale I may not get same amount of money.
7L for 85K, 5 Year old Skoda, you would never get that kinda money in the used market.

For heavens sake, pocket the 7L and sleep tight, it is a blessing in disguise for you, neither in the used market (as stated above) nor if were to sell it 2 days after repair that you'll get 7L with that vintage and brand.

I repeat, do NOT think twice, grab the offer !!
Torquedo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 19:32   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
7L for 85K, 5 Year old Skoda, you would never get that kinda money in the used market.

For heavens sake, pocket the 7L and sleep tight, it is a blessing in disguise for you, neither in the used market (as stated above) nor if were to sell it 2 days after repair that you'll get 7L with that vintage and brand.

I repeat, do NOT think twice, grab the offer !!
I have already asked the insurance company to go for cash loss and also requested to increase some amount to which they said can be looked into and may increase by 10k or so.
Old 15th February 2018, 20:36   #755
Team-BHP Support

Please get an report and confirmation in writing that the chassis is not misaligned. If it is misaligned, find out the magnitude.
Old 11th April 2018, 11:33   #756
BHPian

I got it checked from one of the local mechanics and he also suggested not to get the car repaired. After this discussion only I went ahead for cash loss with insurance company.

Finally the claim with insurance company has been settled.
Old 11th April 2018, 12:33   #757
Senior - BHPian

Can someone explain when exactly a car can be written off as a total loss? Is it only if repair costs exceed or are near the IDV or does it have to do with the service center/insurance agent's diagnosis on whether the car can be repaired or not? Note that the first type only relies on cost and the second only looks at the repairability (from an engineering point of view).

So which one is it and what is the reasoning behind smack_himanshu's case?
Old 17th April 2018, 13:16   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Can someone explain when exactly a car can be written off as a total loss? Is it only if repair costs exceed or are near the IDV or does it have to do with the service center/insurance agent's diagnosis on whether the car can be repaired or not? Note that the first type only relies on cost and the second only looks at the repairability (from an engineering point of view).

So which one is it and what is the reasoning behind smack_himanshu's case?
Hi,

In my case the car was repairable and total cost of repair was less than 80% of the IDV. Hence, I had to go for cash loss.

For total loss, either the car should be irreparable or total cost of repair should be over 80% of IDV (cost of repair is shared by service center and needs to vetted by the insurance surveyor).
smack_himanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 15:41   #759
BHPian

Kothari Hyundai (Kharadi) car accident

I bought a new Tucson just one month back from Kun Hyundai at Hyderabad. I had driven to Pune for a road trip and given that it was due for a service, I used the pick up and drop service of Kothari Hyundai. The car was picked up in the morning at about 11 am. I just got a call (3.30 pm) that my vehicle has gotten in an accident where a Tempo struck it coming from the wrong direction and they have called the police. I really dont know what to do at this point. Isnt the service center liable to cover the damage? I need to leave for Pune in couple of days in the car with my family. What will happen to that if they dont repair. Can someone help, what are my options? Anyone whom I can raise to in Hyundai chain. I am going to the service center right now, but would appreciate responses.
Old 5th February 2019, 15:52   #760
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kothari Hyundai (Kharadi) car accident

Go and check the extent of damage first.

If it is not much ask them start the repair process immediately. Ask them for an equivalent loaner car.

They would push you to claim the insurance, you push them to bear the cost of repair.

Please check if you have signed any document while handing over the vehicle, it may have some clause for safeguarding the dealer in case of such incident/accident.
Old 5th February 2019, 15:56   #761
BHPian

There was a similar thread on TBHP where a rather new Ford Ecosport was crashed by the service center team. The owner got a new vehicle eventually. But it is important to learn the extent of damage first.

Also, while the service center might push you towards an insurance claim on your policy, please make it very clear that you will not accept a repaired vehicle for no fault of yours and ask for a new vehicle from the factory as a replacement.
Old 5th February 2019, 15:59   #762
BHPian

Service centers always mention that scheduling a pickup is at the owners risk and saying this they shrug off responsibilities. However, do not lose hope. Keep pushing the service center to bear the cost as its almost a brand new vehicle. Meet the service center manager as well. If they do not agree, mail Hyundai and seek their intervention but I am not sure how responsive they will be in this particular scenario. Hope for the best

EDIT - As posted above, start by asking for a new vehicle as a replacement itself (depending on the extent of damage though). Probably they will settle to pay for the damages.

Last edited by centaur : 5th February 2019 at 16:04.
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 16:07   #763
BHPian

On the way to workshop.

From what the service guy is telling me, it seems that its not a major damage, with full bumper broken and some minor dents. I dont think, I will need to change my car (hopefully), but basically get it fixed without insurance.
Old 5th February 2019, 17:26   #764
BHPian

Update: The manager was very cordial. He has asked to use insurance as some of the parts are very expensive and he will reimburse my NCB.
Old 5th February 2019, 19:27   #765
Senior - BHPian

So I was on my way to Bengaluru airport on 02.02.19 at around 0420 to drop my wife off in my Honda Mobilio RS. I was traveling on the service road before entering the main highway near Mahindra showroom. There is a large speed breaker for which I had slowed down, however just after clearing the bump, I heard a loud crash and hit my head against the seat headrest. On getting down I noticed that I had been rear ended by a Swift desire taxi. Apparently this guy's footwear got stuck to the accelerator and he flew and hit my boot at a good speed.
The damages are quite extensive with the boot, bumper and the rear chassis member needing replacement. Parts total comes to Rs. 67K. My car being out of production, will be off road for 8-10 days. The driver initially was very courteous and offered to pay for damages post insurance and also to compensate me for my daily travel. However he is now not answering my calls. What do you suggest I do?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks