Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 23:52   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accident insurance claim: request for advice

Strange indeed that assessors estimate is higher than workshop's. It is sometimes the case, in case workshop does not have cashless tie-up with insurer, that insurer has independent assessors who assess the damage and can come up with their version of damages. Although, this may not stand after due diligence in the tri-party, insured, insurer, workshop as workshop will know better what exactly is involved in the damage repairs and insured will want to know what exactly is being done for the damages. It should not be the case that assessor's estimate is the final word. It could be just indicative to the insurer on what is the max damage possibility likely to be rationalised with the actual estimate from workshop as well. It so much helps better to deal with cashless tied-up insurers in such cases and avoids all this confusion/hassles.

It is possible that the clause for the consent from insured is present is not there in the policy as such.

However, it depends upon the insured to get coverage and to what extent, to what extent the insured wants to bear the liability etc. Hence insurer cannot just ask the workshop to go ahead on the work with the estimate given unless insured gives consent. To that extent, insured can also demand certain specific coverage from insurer within the limits of the policy.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 15:13   #137

Re: Minor Accident, Now Extortion: Need Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
You should go to your local Police Station with a learned friend and see what help they offer.
Here's the update. I spoke with a couple of "learned friends" and they recommended to stay away from police jhamela. They said its always better to settle on your own if you can avoid getting the police involved. They also told me to be strict with the other party when they call next and tell them that they are welcome to go to the police.

Now when this guy called up, I told that I was willing to give 300-400 more, max of 500. He said he needed 3500 since his old Kinetic Honda did not have insurance (This he said was because Kinetic Honda company was closed now). I said not to talk to about insurance since he clearly didn't understand how it worked. Either buzz off or go to the police. Then he told me to come to his house so that he could take me to the police station. I asked, suppose there is a theft in your house, do you go with the thief to lodge a police complaint? Go ahead, lodge a case. Finally, he agreed for 1000 bucks more but I asked for his account number to deposit cash - flatly refusing to go meet him.

So friends, this chapter is luckily closed now. I'm poorer by 8k (2k compensation + 6k my car repair) but at least free from the tension created by these buggers. Thanks for all your advice.
Old 26th December 2012, 16:13   #138
BHPian

Fortuner Underbody Damage - Advice on Insurance Claim

Friends,

ON the night of 23rd, due to heavy fog, I hit a ramp on the side of the road and car ran over the ramp and was resting on it. It was literally in center of the car. Due to the impact, I hit the front windshield which also got cracked.

The dealership here said the chasis has been damaged and they said that total estimate for repair would be around 5lacs.

MY insurance company is New India Insurance, add-on policy (100% bumper to bumper) and no claim has been made in last 1.5 year (its second time policy)

Is there any chance that insurance company can reject the claim? IS there anything I need to do to keep myself prepared if surveyor rejects the claim or do not pay for the complete damages?
Old 26th December 2012, 16:24   #139
BHPian

Re: Fortuner Underbody Damage - Advice on Insurance Claim

There seems to be no reason for rejection of claim since the vehicle has substantial and visible underbody damage.

Hope that nobody was seriously injured.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 16:28   #140
BHPian

I was alone in my car. Was going at a speed of 35-40 kmph. I came out safely as the only injury I got was a hit on my face. But by God's Grace, my right arm got in the way of glass and my face. I hit the arm and my arm hit the glass. Just a small hit causing a minor swelling on the lower lip.
Old 26th December 2012, 16:29   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post

Due to the impact, I hit the front windshield which also got cracked.
Were you not wearing the seat belt? Also did not the airbags deploy?

Glad you are safe. This is your first claim in the current year so you should be just fine with the insurance people.
Old 26th December 2012, 16:33   #142
BHPian

I was wearing the seatbelt. But I was leaning forward to see some more of the road as t was almost zero visibility. No air bag dd not deploy. Because car did not hit the ramp head on. It simply climbed over it, damaging the safety plate under the engine, steering and my car climbed it till the rear differential.
ThE Godfather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 18:05   #143
BHPian

It's great that the airbags didn't open since they would have caused more harm than good since you were leaning forward.
d3mon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 19:13   #144
BHPian

I fail to see a reason why the insurance claim should not be approved. If only the surveyor does not raise any concern over the vehicle not 'visibly' looking hit. Nothing can be certain till the actual is claimed. Hope you have the zero dep insurance, else damages look a little too high.
Old 26th December 2012, 19:58   #145
BHPian

Yes I have 0-Dep insurance. I don't have good experience with these surveyors in the past with my other cars. So thought to know if there is anything I can do, before his visit.
Old 7th January 2013, 19:33   #146
BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Ok heres an update. Dealership says that Chassis has been damaged and need to be replaced. BUT insurance surveyor is reluctant in that. However, I asked to see if chassis is repairable or need to be replaced. Surveyor said if Chassis need to be replaced, there is some value of Salvage which I Will need to pay. What is that?
Old 31st January 2013, 11:20   #147
BHPian

Small but significant damage to City

Our 3 and a half months old Honda City has come home last night with some heavy amount of damage caused by the most unlikely of situations. I have drawn a quick illustration to explain the situation. Need advice after Accident-untitled.png
My father was on his way home near 9 no tank from his sector 5 office. Now he uses the short bridge opened about a year ago which comes from 8 no tank on salt lake 1st avenue and connects to the salt lake bypass [nicco park road] and continues towards Rajarhat expressway. Now for some reason, the police have always put angled barriers at this particular entry for reasons which are beyond my understanding. Now as my father took the left turn from Wipro to cross the canal and a Tata 407 truck also entered from the opposite direction. There was a cow sitting right in the middle of the road which all of sudden got up, jumped the short divider and bumped into the barrier [which, btw had wheels fitted on all four corners]. Probably it felt that the truck would run it over. All this happened just as my father was maneuvering through these barriers! Although he slammed the brakes, the car hit the bar on the left of the barrier, which toppled over after impact. This happened at night so he was unable to properly see all the damage caused then and there.

After coming home, I inspected the damage and came to the conclusion that the damage caused was nothing major and can easily be rectified. But I was wrong!

Need advice after Accident-1dscn0903.jpg
The part of the bumper which hit the barrier. The paint has been damaged and there is a small dimple on the surface. I don't feel fixing this will be to much of an issue.
Need advice after Accident-2dscn0904.jpg
The fog lamp has got dislodged from its holder. Also, a couple of wires have come out the fog has stopped working. I am yet to understand whether this can be fixed by just plugging back the wires or the whole unit will have to be changed.
Need advice after Accident-3dscn0905.jpg
Damage to the portion underneath the fog lamp.

Today morning I noticed some heavy damage on the front driver side door that had skipped our attention last night.
Need advice after Accident-4dscn0907.jpg
If you look closely at this image, you will notice that the sheet metal has been partially pierced! I would like some advice from fellow bhpians on how this can be fixed. Will the whole surface of the door have to be changed?
Need advice after Accident-5dscn0908.jpg
Need advice after Accident-6dscn0909.jpg
Fortunately my father has come out of the incident unscathed. As for the cow, its fine. But this is how I feel about it.
Old 31st January 2013, 12:08   #148
BANNED

Re: Small but significant damage to City

You should tank the City that your father is unscathed. Pierced panel can be easily fixed with a bit of electric spot welding. The bumper and panels can be repainted and the fog with garnish replaced. Please check that the AC condenser is not damaged, otherwise these will not be too expensive to fix. You may even not like to make a claim if you have substantial NCB (and even exclusion).
Old 31st January 2013, 12:36   #149
BHPian

Will this electric spot welding process be carried out by Honda? I am a bit skeptical that they might say that we will have to change the sheet on the door. If Honda does not agree to the process what problems can I expect to face if I get it done from an outside workshop which we know for years?
Old 31st January 2013, 12:58   #150
Senior - BHPian

Best option is to replace the door for that extra peace of mind but this is going to cost a lot, might also need you to claim insurance. The other option is to visit a good FNG and get the hole filled with putty and repaint the entire door.

You check out a similar thread where a BHPian got the hole filled with putty.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...dy-my-car.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks