Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 11:56   #271
mxx
BHPian

Re: Need advise, small accident in carpark

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
You should claim insurance for yourself and the other chap must claim from his insurance. The law is very clear on this. That's the reason why every vehicle should have valid insurance. This Indian idea of you paying out of pocket for his damage is illegal as per law. He cannot make you pay, that is extortion. Insurance is meant for accidents only.

Only case where in your insurance will pay 3rd party is when there is any injury or death, else for vehicle damages I say again, each party claims from his/her own insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh.machine View Post
@apachelongbow tell me about it, i too fail to understand that why we are paying the premiums if everyone of us is supposed to pay out of our own pockets. Tried talking to the owner of the car today but she also seems to be adamant that i fix it without claiming insurance as that would reduce her cars resale value and other blah blah.

Not sure what to do, as of today i have agreed to it with a max ceiling of 5k, if the quote is above that then i am going to go with insurance only come what may.
That is what your 3rd party(compulsory) insurance is for. This is for damage cause to a third party by you. If you are at fault, by your admission or found to be by authorities (in case of disputes), your insurer will cover the expense of the 3rd party.
Then there is optional comprehensive insurance which covers your own car.
In India usually people dont use third party insurance to cover damage caused by them because of all the hassles of formalities like filling FIR.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:03   #272
Senior - BHPian

"You pay for your car from your insurance and the other guy from his insurance for his car'. This is what the cops will tell you. I dont agree with this.

Is filing an FIR sufficient or appearance in court required for this? I guess you will have to pay a traffic fine also.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:25   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should claim insurance for yourself and the other chap must claim from his insurance. The law is very clear on this.
Quote:
@apachelongbow tell me about it, i too fail to understand that why we are paying the premiums if everyone of us is supposed to pay out of our own pockets.
In civilized countries, after a non endangering collision / accident, car owners only exchange their insurance company/number, the police record, & their phone number. It is clearly written on insurance cards - 'Do not admit fault'.
It is for the police officer on site to decide who is at fault and put it down in his report, and if required fine the guilty driver.
If car A hits car B, and car A is at fault, the owner of car B shall claim insurance from his company, but that will be routed to the insurance company of car A owner, and be paid from car a owners 3rd party insurance.
Unfortunately, many people who own cars in India do not understand this fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
That is what your 3rd party(compulsory) insurance is for. This is for damage cause to a third party by you. If you are at fault, by your admission or found to be by authorities (in case of disputes), your insurer will cover the expense of the 3rd party.
Then there is optional comprehensive insurance which covers your own car.
In India usually people dont use third party insurance to cover damage caused by them because of all the hassles of formalities like filling FIR.
correct.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:35   #274
BHPian

Going on my experience of doing both claiming insurance and just paying for the repairs. I would say just pay out of your pocket if the cost is less than that of what you would loose on the no claim bonus.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:57   #275

Thanks for all the replies. What's the NCB and when and how does one get it? Also does the resale price , insurance costs etc really go up or they are just myths?
Old 9th May 2013, 13:58   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@apachelongbow tell me about it, i too fail to understand that why we are paying the premiums if everyone of us is supposed to pay out of our own pockets. Tried talking to the owner of the car today but she also seems to be adamant that i fix it without claiming insurance as that would reduce her cars resale value and other blah blah.

Not sure what to do, as of today i have agreed to it with a max ceiling of 5k, if the quote is above that then i am going to go with insurance only come what may.
We pay premiums so that we can claim for damages in case we get into an accident. If you dont claim anything for the entire year, your insurance company rewards you with a 20% reduction in next years premium called no claim bonus. Lets take an example: Suppose your premium for car A is Rs 10000 for this year. You dont claim anything this year. Next year premium is with say 10% depriciation is 9000, with a 20% no claim, your premium turns out to be 9000-1800=7200Rs.
Now if you had claimed insurance you lose your no claim, in this case only Rs1800. Hence if your damage is >Rs1800 please claim from insurance, it makes business sense.
You seem ready to fork out Rs 5000, just calculate if your 20% no claim bonus is > Rs 5000 or not. Cheers
Old 9th May 2013, 14:06   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I believe the FIR is needed when claiming insurance for the 3rd party. If you are claiming insurance for your own vehicle, then FIR is not needed. Please correct me if I am wrong.
raVan that is correct. In 3rd party insurance the driver and damage to colliding vehicle are covered. It is best to have a comprehensive cover which is bit high on premium but gives peace of mind.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 9th May 2013, 19:22   #278

Quote:
We pay premiums so that we can claim for damages in case we get into an accident. If you dont claim anything for the entire year, your insurance company rewards you with a 20% reduction in next years premium called no claim bonus. Lets take an example: Suppose your premium for car A is Rs 10000 for this year. You dont claim anything this year. Next year premium is with say 10% depriciation is 9000, with a 20% no claim, your premium turns out to be 9000-1800=7200Rs.
Now if you had claimed insurance you lose your no claim, in this case only Rs1800. Hence if your damage is >Rs1800 please claim from insurance, it makes business sense.
You seem ready to fork out Rs 5000, just calculate if your 20% no claim bonus is > Rs 5000 or not. Cheers
I understand the calculation here, but does the insurance company pay the full amount or i am supposed to pitch in some x% of it. If thats the case and also the hassle of an FIR i think it would still be better to go with self payment.
Old 9th May 2013, 21:43   #279
BHPian

Quote:

I understand the calculation here, but does the insurance company pay the full amount or i am supposed to pitch in some x% of it. If thats the case and also the hassle of an FIR i think it would still be better to go with self payment.
Depends on your insurance isn't it what damage was done the percentage that the insurance would pay for plastic components replacement and for metal would vary.i guess metal is hundred percent , plastics you have to pay some percentage from your pocket. Probably best person to answer that would be the service advisor at your dealership when you make an insurance claim.
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 16:16   #280
BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Depends on your insurance isn't it what damage was done the percentage that the insurance would pay for plastic components replacement and for metal would vary.i guess metal is hundred percent , plastics you have to pay some percentage from your pocket. Probably best person to answer that would be the service advisor at your dealership when you make an insurance claim.

Recently had an insurance claim registered for my car. IT is 100% for metal, 100% for glass, 50% on plastics. I am sure on this since I am to shell out half of the headlight assembly since it is broken.
Maxwell Arthur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 19:57   #281

Re: Need advice after Accident

Updates- Went to Trend Automobile in Hosur road after reading favorable reviews here and also because its near my home. After assessing the damage to both cars he gave a split quote of rs900 for the other car and rs1900 for my car. Needless to say got the other car fixed immediately and that too done without repainting. I would go this saturday to get mine painted up as it required a full day.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:21   #282
BHPian

Need advice - Car met with Accident

Preface:
We visited Rameshwaram on Saturday and planned to visit Madurai temple on the way back to Chennai.

Incident:
1 KM before reaching Madurai, on a narrow stretch of road (Single lane highway - no divider, with road turning towards left) a state bus coming from opposite direction stopped for passengers. On seeing the stopped bus, i reduced speed to 30 KMPH and planned to pass. I noticed a dumper coming from the other direction and he has no intension to overtake the stopped bus, so i decided to pass. Suddenly, god knows what came to the mind of the dumper driver he came to the wrong side and was face to face with my car. At that time i applied full brake and both our speeds were not more than 10KMPH. I swerved to the left and he also pulled to his left. As a result his bumper bumped first into my door (driver side - i was driving) and dented the entire rear right passenger door and the panel above the rear tyre. My right mirror glass was shattered.

Post Incident:
Luckily my mother, wife and myself were not hurt. My mom and wife were a bit shocked and few villagers gathered at the spot. The dumper also stopped few metres away moving away from the spot so that other vehicles could pass. Since i don't speak local language, he came and was trying to apologize and also said something of which what i could gather was that he couldn't brake properly. I was not sure if he was using a mobile while driving and that lead to the mishap. Villagers were also asking us to register Police FIR and beat up the driver, to which i refused. My mom and wife asked me to continue and leave the place. Meanwhile, the dumper driver also vanished, not that he exactly tried to run away.

Situation:
- I have 50% NCB on my comprehensive insurance from HDFC ERGO bought online.
- My Swift Petrol is Jan 2007 registered and has clocked 59K Kms
- I had plans to change my car in 2014

Advice Needed:
1. Should i get the car repaired and painted from MASS. Which MASS in Chennai is best?

2. Should i get it tinkered and painted from non-Maruti but reputed service center.

3. Since i did not file a FIR, will I face issue claiming insurance?
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-p1030236.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-p1030240.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-p1030243.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-p1030244.jpg  

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 29th July 2013 at 14:27.
Old 29th July 2013, 14:43   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Sorry to hear about the incident, and glad to hear that no one was hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
1. Should i get the car repaired and painted from MASS. Which MASS in Chennai is best?

2. Should i get it tinkered and painted from non-Maruti but reputed service center.

3. Since i did not file a FIR, will I face issue claiming insurance?
As far as my experience goes, dedicated paint shops do a better work than A.S.S, in cases like these. So, I would suggest you go for Option 2.

Re: point 3, no, you will not face any issues. IIRC, you will get 100% of labour refunded and 50% of metal and plastic parts. So, I would suggest you not to replace the doors, but get it tinkered. A proper shop can do a perfect job.

P.S: If you cant find a perfect paint shop, with a proper paint booth and all, please go straight to MASS.
Old 29th July 2013, 15:05   #284
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that you and your family are absolutely safe. Looks like a very minor accident, I suggest you go to a local garage, there is no point spending a lot more money at the Maruti Service centers when it can be done outside at a fraction of the cost. Not sure about the insurance requiring an FIR, but Im sure the garage guys will be able to help you out with that.
Old 29th July 2013, 15:19   #285
Senior - BHPian

@hyper-Vtech

Sorry to see you ride smashed badly. Glad to know that the occupants are safe.

I would suggest to stick with the MASS, although the FNG would do a good job too but since you are claiming insurance it is always better to go the manufacturer workshop. Just ensure that Maruti does not over charge for things to be replaced which dont need to be acutally replaced. Hope your car gets repaired and you are back on track at the earliest.

Most Viewed