Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:33   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Bachelor week-end trip goes sad!

Why doesn't your friend take the car to Sai Colorium they also have facilities to claim insurance. I am sure the door should be a denting and paining job, not sure about the bumper though.
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:39   #362
Senior - BHPian

Is there any difficulty in rolling down the windows? From the images, I think the doors can be repaired. If ASS don't do, please check with any paint shops outside.

Bumper certainly requires a replacement.

In a similar case, I got my repair done from a local guy and the cost was very minimal compared to the ASS estimate.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-car.jpg  

Last edited by coolclouds : 3rd December 2013 at 13:46.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:47   #363
Senior - BHPian

Bad luck. As suggested by others, the repair estimate seems astronomical. Should be 1/3 rd of that amount tops.

However, going solely by the pictures, none of the damages look severe enough to warrant a cancellation of the trip. Why did your friend choose to cancel the trip midway?

Also, you said Satran had his 4 year old daughter with him in the car. How does that make it a "Bachelor" trip?
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 13:54   #364
BHPian

When it rains, it pours...

Fortunately the damage is only to the car and all the occupants are safe. Your friend should take a call based on what insurance co. will approve and how much he has to shell out from his pocket. He should at least take a quote from some reliable denter-painter.

PS: Did I read it correct? Your friend took his 4 YO daughter on a bachelor weekend trip?

Edit: Just noticed that Roy also has the same question.

Last edited by Biraj : 3rd December 2013 at 13:55. Reason: Adding comment
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:18   #365
BHPian

INR 3K per panel(denting and painting). 3 panels apparently damaged, so it come to 9k. Add to that the cost of a new rear bumper (4-5k) with painting. This is as per the rate chart of my local chevy service center.
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:32   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

That's really bad to be at the receiving end especially for NOT your own mistake.

I think insurance will cover everything except the 50% for bumper. I expect at least 25K covered out of this 30K by insurance.
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:38   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Also, you said Satran had his 4 year old daughter with him in the car. How does that make it a "Bachelor" trip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
When it rains, it pours...

PS: Did I read it correct? Your friend took his 4 YO daughter on a bachelor weekend trip?

Edit: Just noticed that Roy also has the same question.
This was a one day trip on the weekend; it was called a "bachelor trip" because there were no "lady of the house" accompanied. The trip was more for this young princess! She was quite sad about the car damages and was showing everyone in the neighborhood and crying. She told satran that the car is broken and that they should get a new one, her suggestion is for a blue color car.

@swiftnfurious: My friend is expects something similar; though we cant say what games insurance companies play when it comes to the paint/plastic depreciation part.

@ roy_libran: The incidents took place during the return trip.

Last edited by nitinbose : 3rd December 2013 at 14:49.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:42   #368
Senior - BHPian

Really bad luck. Good that no one was hurt.

Better go to an independent workshop who can tinker/dent/paint the panels and even possibly repair the bumper. Paying 30k is downright too high.

For eg. Sai Colorium in JP Nagar could be one option. Or Suraksha motors in Adugodi ...
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:14   #369
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

My friend has opted for the Chevrolet A.S.S and is now waiting for the final confirmation from the Insurance. Doesn't want to risk with other workshops as he takes care of his car as he does for his daughter. Lets hope for the best.
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:27   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
My friend has opted for the Chevrolet A.S.S and is now waiting for the final confirmation from the Insurance. Doesn't want to risk with other workshops as he takes care of his car as he does for his daughter. Lets hope for the best.
This was the right thing to do. If he has comprehensive bumper to bumper insurance, then except for the compulsory deductible, he will not have to pay a dime more.

I had a smaller version of the same acident within the Bangalore city and had taken it to independent garage for denting and paiting, he quoted 5k for the damage, picture below. I saw no reason to spend so much in an independent garage and took it to MASS, who suggested me to replace the bumper since Iam claiming insruance and I did so. I had already claimed insurance earlier, so my NCB is anyways a goner, so made sense to go for it again.

Also, I think it was not a very smart move on your friends part to take on the SUMO's driver in a village that he is not familiar with. Going to police is again a waste of time as they would always look down on the city people as the ones who are wrong. I would suggest that he gulp down the loss and move on.
The above said is ONLY my personal opinion and I am not saying what he did was right or wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-img20131126wa0002.jpg  

dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 00:33   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
. I saw no reason to spend so much in an independent garage and took it to MASS, who suggested me to replace the bumper since Iam claiming insruance and I did so. I had already claimed insurance earlier, so my NCB is anyways a goner, so made sense to go for it again..
You changed bumper, and claimed insurance for that much damage? :O

Given NCB was gone, it will make sense. But definitely not if NCB existed. A round of buffing and touch up would make the damage look almost non existent.

Regarding the Sumo guy, in most cases they wont have correct documents. Hence they raise dust by gathering people, threatening etc. Once matters go to police and we demand an FIR, these people will turn into mice from lions. Just that in most of the cases we cannot leave the car especially when the incident has occurred out of station. When an Indica guy T-Boned our SX4 he and a few friends of his did do their best in convincing us that it was our fault and we had no choice but claim our own insurance. However his stance changed once we agreed to file an FIR and his vehicle was seized for inspection. Being an urban cabbie he didnt have a single document other than the RC of the car in someones name without authorisation. Hence his entire team had to beg for mercy.
Old 4th December 2013, 08:14   #372
BHPian

TJet+ Accident: Need Help

Hi All...

Here is a post from a member who doesn't post too often but believes in this gang for help.

Let me get to the point - I had a fairly scary crash yesterday on Western Express Highway, Kalanagar Junction, Bandra, Mumbai. The sequence of events is actually quite crazy. I was on the down slope of the flyover heading north towards the signal and for about 4 to 5 seconds, I seem to have simply blanked out. I have no other explanation for this behaviour as it has never happened before. I will visit a doc to find out more but I am guessing work stress just got to my mind. During these seconds, I was hurtling down at a good speed (about 60+) towards a stopped Innova. Just before it got too close, I slammed the brakes but it was too late and the crash happened. Pix attached will tell you the extent of damage. I must also tell you that I am now not sure whether I did blank out for that long or was it just something else.

I really need help with a few points:
  • I don't think the brakes worked. I've always suspected the brakes on the TJet+ but now this raises that doubt to a whole new level. I wonder what the ABS did too. The car simply went on and hit the car in front.
  • Airbags did do anything. I am sure I was at a fairly high speed. Yes, the 'Check Airbag' / 'Airbag Malfunction' light is now on on the dash. But that is it.
  • What should I do to claim insurance? I have been told to tell the insurance that this happened in rush hour traffic and that no one was hurt. Which part is true. The damaged Innova owner is not pressing any charges as he was more concerned about me than his car. I am paying for his damages separately.
  • I called Fortune Cars Andheri East as I know the GM there but they're changing themselves into Concorde so they cannot take the car for at least 4 more days.
  • I've had a bad experience at Torrid Cars (Fiat Authorised now) again at Andheri East. Haven't been there after neither do I know anyone there.
  • Should I call the insurance company first and take it from there? I am with Future Generali in my second year with no claims made earlier.

I also noticed something very peculiar - there was a lot of smoke in the cabin. I cannot tell if this was before or after the crash but it felt like that caused me to black out. I am not even sure if the seatbelt pretensioners exploded to cause smoke. Seat belts sure saved me.

As things stand, the car drives perfectly. Straight geometry, no trouble from engine neither any stray rattling due to the crash.

I am trying to first focus on getting my car back to perfect working order, get the Innova fixed and try to save as much money as I can. That is actually my priority list. Please do try to help me here.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-imag0568.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-imag0573.jpg  

Last edited by adrena : 4th December 2013 at 08:21. Reason: Pictures didn't attach.
adrena is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 08:35   #373
Senior - BHPian

Re: TJet+ Accident: Need Help

Adrena,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to know that you and the occupants of the Innova are safe. Thank Fiat for the strong build quality that the damages were minimized to a great extent.

I for sure believe that the brakes did work else the impact would have been far more worser. The ABS does not bring the car to a standstill as you must be aware, it just helps to prevent the tyre locking.

You should still take the car to Torrid Motors are they are the official Fiat dealer/workshop. At the same time inform FG about the incident and ask them to arrange for a surveyour immediately. Things can start rolling from there.

Regarding the condition you spoke of getting blank, you need to get the proper medication ASAP. Driving the car under stress is not advisable at all. This incident should be an eye opener for you, hope you take care in future
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 08:36   #374
BHPian

Re: TJet+ Accident: Need Help

I'd advise you to wait for Fortune Cars to open up again since you trust their work. In the meantime, you get four days to get the other guys Innova fixed, and get a proper idea whether you did indeed blacked out. I've had friends falling asleep on national highways, so it's possible.
As far as technical analysis of the damage goes, I'm sure we have members with more information on your car's design.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 08:54   #375
Senior - BHPian

Bumper doesn't need a replacement. The headlamps need to be checked if their mounting points are intact.

The hood, top and bottom grilles need to be replaced. Do NOT get the hood dented and repainted as the crumple zones have already done it's job.

The frontal impact beam should be checked for any deformation.

Also do a check on the PRS (seat-belt pre tensioner) and SRS (airbag).

Coming to the incident, whilst hurtling down a flyover at good speeds, you wouldn't have much grip due to the momentum of the car and the angle of projection, it is a tricky situation to be in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks