Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 09:12   #496
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksnathan View Post
Friends,

Sometime back the front left fender of my Hyundai i-10 developed a dent as I did not see a cement concrete block that was kept right on the road near the pedestrian pavement and the mud guard flap twisted in such a way that it touched the left wheel while turning to left side.Sensing the gravity of the situation the next day I took the car to The Body Shop of the authorized dealer for setting it right.The service adviser told me that the left fender has to be replaced completely along with the mud guard and flaps.I had no other alternative as the mud guard was constantly touching the wheel while turning to the left.When I came to collect the vehicle he gave a bill for a princely sum of Rs.5861.00.The front fender costs only Rs.916.80.They have billed Rs.3500.00 for labour charges including painting and polishing.I am not sure whether I have been taken for a ride or the billing is as per norms.Please advice.

Thanking you,

pksnathan

Hey there,

I don't think that it is too huge a sum that you've been quoted and that too by the A$$ (that are known for being expensive!). More importantly, did you ask them for an estimate prior to getting the job done?

Additionally, could you please attach the bill for us to have a look at (which could help point out any additional bits that could have been "slipped in" or eliminate foul play altogether)?

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 10th April 2015 at 09:42.
Old 10th April 2015, 09:37   #497
BHPian

If Painting was involved, which as per your description indeed was carried out, I do not think the bill is unreasonable. I had been to Hyundai Service Center to get the back bumper of my Xcent painted and they had quoted somewhere around 2500/- for half of the bumper to be painted.
Engine_Roars is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 18:59   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Hey there,

I don't think that it is too huge a sum that you've been quoted and that too by the A$$ (that are known for being expensive!). More importantly, did you ask them for an estimate prior to getting the job done?

Additionally, could you please attach the bill for us to have a look at (which could help point out any additional bits that could have been "slipped in" or eliminate foul play altogether)?

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra
Dear friend.

Sorry that I do not have scanning facility in my home to scan and send the bill.But the break up of the bill is consumables Rs.157.20,front mud guard Rs.92.20,guard assembly Rs.236.90.front retainer Rs.84.10,front fender Rs.916.80,labour charges including polishing Rs.3500.00.taxes Rs.215.64,Rs.355.25,Rs.294.00 and Rs.9.10 total amount Rs.5861.00.

Thanking you,

pksnathan
pksnathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 23:45   #499
BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Hey,

The fender coupled with the labor and painting charges equate to 4500/-. Throw in some consumables plus taxes etc. and it all adds up. Don't think there is anything here to doubt about.

Here's hoping that the work done by the A$$ was top notch! Please move on with this as something that added to your experiences but henceforth, do ensure that you take an estimate of the job being done. Additionally, also make things clear that anything of a +2000/- or more deviation be duly communicated to you beforehand and things go ahead only after you've confirmed those.

Cheerio,
-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 11th April 2015 at 23:46.
Old 12th April 2015, 15:48   #500
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteem View Post
...In this case I think no police report is required to claim the insurance amount.
All insurance companies want an intimation done to the police.
When there is no loss of life and both parties are reasonable a simple handwritten letter from both is enough. The cops will stamp and give back the copy.
One funny thing. In cases as above cops will penalize both with reckless driving. It will be a formal fine with receipt. You may be both at 5 kmph but this fine amt. is charged.
Think of the amount as your contribution to their time value.

Now as for justice. If both are at fault, just walk away. Give some excuse to your spouse and pay for own repairs.

If other guy is at fault negotiate a reasonable amt. Accidents happen. If you try to make him pay exact repair bill he will find all kinds of excuses including becoming belligerent. Usually 50-75% is max you can extract.

Wishing you safe future driving.
Old 13th April 2015, 17:47   #501
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by noopster : 13th April 2015 at 18:15. Reason: Use "Thanks" button instead of creating a separate post to say thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 17:44   #502
BHPian

Minor accident in Hyderabad

Hi friends,

I was driving my Optra Magnum near assembly (public gardens) towards lakdi-ka-pul. Its a one way road and crossing that road to reach for the Basheerbagh road is not allowed.

Traffic was thick but since the road is wide vehicles were moving fast and I was going zig zag between some autos when suddenly an auto which was infront of me moved towards right and to my horror I saw two ladies on a Scooty perpendicular to my car less than 1 feet away. They were really stupid to try crossing that wide and fast road. I swerved to right to avoid collision but inevitably hit them at an acute angle.

The lady who was driving the Scooty got minor bruises on her face and leg and the other lady was fine. Soon a huge crowd assembled there along with traffic police. Everyone was rebuking me that I was driving irresponsibly. One of the policemen said its the ladys' fault for crossing that road, that silenced some people and eventually crowd dispersed.

One traffic SI got my car parked and took my car key. I was terrified and apologized to the ladies but they said their brother is going to come so I have to wait till he comes. He came and said I should pay for the treatment and in lieu of this he wont file any case against me. He asked for Rs. 5000, finally agreed for Rs. 3000. After I gave him the money, the police SI asked him "shall I let this car guy go?", he said "yes I dont want to file case". I took my key and drove back home.

But on the way home I was feeling guilty for paying money since it was not my fault. I felt like I should myself have gone ahead and filed the case and fight fair and square come what may. But then I thought of my parents and the mental agony they will have to undergo.

So did I do the right thing? If not what should I have done?
chevyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 17:52   #503
Senior - BHPian

Re: Minor accident in Hyderabad

I guess there is no right and wrong in such situations. You do what comes to your mind then. Also, what I would be worried about if I were you is these people turning up with a court noice/case after some months for hit and run and you being made to go through that charade.

Don't feel guilty for paying money, consider it this way, you just brought yourself peace of mind worth 3 thousand rupees.
humyum is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 18:15   #504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
But on the way home I was feeling guilty for paying money since it was not my fault. I felt like I should myself have gone ahead and filed the case and fight fair and square come what may. But then I thought of my parents and the mental agony they will have to undergo.

So did I do the right thing? If not what should I have done?
Accidents happen. As humyum said, you traded Rs. 3000 for peace of mind. Fair deal. It could have been handled differently, but things could have gone either way.

However, remember: just as you're having second thoughts as to how you should have handled it, those women and their families might be thinking likewise. You don't want them thinking that since you have a large sedan, you can afford to cough up some more, for whatever follow up treatments they might concoct.

It would be useful to get a statement made at the traffic police station nearest where that happened, preferably with the SI's contribution too. That'll at least put it on the record that it was the Scooty driver who was at fault, and will pre-emptively safeguard you from any future hassle they might choose.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 19:00   #505
BHPian

My concern is that in every accident involving a car and bike its always the car guy who is guilty by default. Naturally bike rider will get injuries and not the car driver, so all the sympathy goes to bike guy but this doesn't mean the later is at fault. Instead of getting defensive and bogged down by the crowd can the car guy himself file a police complaint against the bike guy?

In my case the police started treating me as a criminal straightaway and the SI even abused me and he was being sweet to the ladies. He was threatening me that he will call the "law and order" police dept. and get my vehicle seized. Why so much animosity towards the car guy? Why cant the police be impartial and how can we use law to protect ourselves and get justice?

A month ago I was driving through slow moving traffic. Suddenly a bike hit my car on the rear left side and damaged the bumper (above the tyre). The bumper lock is broken. Whole look of my car is spoiled. He fell down, got up and went away. I could do nothing about it.

Last edited by chevyman : 3rd May 2015 at 19:05.
Old 3rd May 2015, 19:34   #506
BHPian

I am sorry for your loss Sir !

I empathize with your pain and that hapless feeling of watching those 'all Irresponsible Bikers' zooming around our cars like they own the whole damn road and often end up denting our 'priced possessions' .

And in the above said situation, please don't feel guilty or bad since, practically speaking, you could do nothing of it , right now and more importantly, we all [common citizens] tend to to behave in such a way where our primal fear of that moment takes over the 'analyzing ability of right and wrong' and try to get away from those burdening moments ASAP. One needs a lot of experience [and back up, probably] in such situations to stand-up for themselves and even ready for a showoff, which really is not our cup of tea.

Common sense, in hindsight, seems to tell us we could act smarter but it is not easy as it is spoken.

Holding your ground against the Police and the gathering Mass with your car in the open ready to be predated and yourself in a grievous legal problem is not such a good idea at that moment unless you have sufficient connections to pull up..

Sorry for sounding so anarchic, but humans are , at times, ruled by the Jungle law..

Last edited by poised2drive : 3rd May 2015 at 19:40.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 19:39   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post

A month ago I was driving through slow moving traffic. Suddenly a bike hit my car on the rear left side and damaged the bumper (above the tyre). The bumper lock is broken. Whole look of my car is spoiled. He fell down, got up and went away. I could do nothing about it.
This is India bhai, Women and bikes will almost never be fault in this country.

A few weeks back a bike guy coming from the wrong side in a one way street outside a petrol bunk clipped my entire bumper to the ground because he wanted to enter the petrol bunk from the wrong side coming from the wrong lane too What could I do other than give him a few whacks ? Ultimately the crowd concluded "The bike is a smaller vehicle, you car guys should be a bit more careful'.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 19:46   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Ultimately the crowd concluded "The bike is a smaller vehicle, you car guys should be a bit more careful.
I have heard this exact same crap (being said to me and to other car owners) umpteen number of times.
Old 3rd May 2015, 20:57   #509
BHPian

I see a lot of young girls on scooters these days, with both their legs hanging, as if to support in case they lose their balance. I stay away from them cause like @humyum mentioned this is India and you find many a guy waiting to be saviors, just like you see in movies.
@Humyum- had a similar experience when aye was at a signal, and this guy on the bike happened to be on the left. As the signal turned green and as I started moving this moron cut across me to go to the right. He and the bike go for a tumble. I get out of the car and see only a minor scratch at the bottom of the bumper, but what angered me was it could have been a more serious situation if he had come under. He was indeed shaken up. A cop who was around asks me to park my car more to the side and carry forward my argument as he was more worried about some VIP movement. As I parked my car, I see the guy scoot with his bike. Guys on bikes are a menace, as they always try to squeeze through, just like the autos who just need space for their front wheel. You have to live with it.
Old 3rd May 2015, 21:08   #510
Senior - BHPian

Next time handle such situations with confidence is all I can say. This is India if you go on your backfoot, and bend over, someone is bound to line up behind you and get ready to penetrate (sorry for the graphic-ness)

However, it was only 3000 at the end of the day. Perhaps save up some money, go to a reputed garage like New Mars, and get the entire exterior of your car refurbished that will surely get your head off the matter. I find that in times like this, blowing cash on my car in the form of a visit to 3M or if the exterior is perfect an addition to the audio system, always makes me feel better

Most Viewed