Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2015, 22:24   #586
BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In your current scenario better stick with Korpex, outside may not be a smooth ride as far as insurance is concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
1. Shouldn't cause a problem as long as the insurance company is okay with it. They will mention that the owner was not driving the car but you were, and you were licensed to drive. Worst case the previous owner might need to sign the forms if he indeed is the theoretical owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Wouldn't the insurance holder lose any ncb, if gathered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Looks you have a lucky escape and should thank God for saving , this could have been more nasty .

I will suggest to stick with showroom guys as normally they have relations with Insurance guys . Most likely you will need to take help of previous owner who is registered on RC . I remember having signed some papers for my X5 on behalf of new owner who did not got ownership changed for a while .
Thanks for the replies.

Now the situation is like this. A week has passed, the surveyor took a look and realized that as the car was sold and RC not transferred, he has passed on approval to L&T directly.

Spoke to L&T today and the manager says that there is no insurable interest towards the claim as this is in a case where ownership is in the middle of transfer and there is no owner at this point. They have the RC extract where it seems it mentions the CC in my name. Also, I have not informed change of ownership within 14 days of sale which is the stipulated timeline.

He also said that he also cant take a call and has forwarded the same to their HQ for approval. He also asked me to write a mail to him explaining why the RC transfer wasnt made. I have mailed him that.

What should I do now? The quote provided by Kropex is 2.3 lakhs (it includes things which may not be necessary) so it makes paying out of pocket very very difficult. If the claim is denied, I may have to goto the consumer court I suppose.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:16   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Now the situation is like this. A week has passed, the surveyor took a look and realized that as the car was sold and RC not transferred, he has passed on approval to L&T directly.

Spoke to L&T today and the manager says that there is no insurable interest towards the claim as this is in a case where ownership is in the middle of transfer and there is no owner at this point. They have the RC extract where it seems it mentions the CC in my name. Also, I have not informed change of ownership within 14 days of sale which is the stipulated timeline.

He also said that he also cant take a call and has forwarded the same to their HQ for approval. He also asked me to write a mail to him explaining why the RC transfer wasnt made. I have mailed him that.

What should I do now? The quote provided by Kropex is 2.3 lakhs (it includes things which may not be necessary) so it makes paying out of pocket very very difficult. If the claim is denied, I may have to goto the consumer court I suppose.
Hey Utprabh !! When did you get an Optra ? Is your Beat gone or still with you ?

Very sad to see this situation of your new ride.

I have one quick advice to make, although it is very late.

You could have pushed for transfer of RC. Once you got it in your name, you could have then went to file an insurance claim.
Unethical, one may say, but saves the hassle of landing in a no man's land (as you are in now, with no real owner).

Hope things get sorted out soon, and we could meet up sometime for a quick cup of tea with the Optra. Good luck mate.
Old 8th September 2015, 18:40   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

I am sorry for superutp problems, but the opposite side of this kind of situation is that we were inconvenienced because a buyer did not transfer ownership or insurance. We had police at our gate, and worrying letters from the insurance company after an accident.

In the future, on selling a car, we will be very sure to immediately inform RTO and insurance of the sale ourselves.
Old 10th September 2015, 17:50   #589
BHPian

This might not have all the possible solutions in case of an accident, but good to see this on the official site - http://rto.kar.nic.in/

Need advice after Accident-accident.jpg
Old 10th September 2015, 18:32   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Need help, father of a friend's friend (both in Armed forces) was hit by a vehicle, a bus near Nawada in Bihar and has succumbed to his injuries. The bus runs between Kolkata and Biharshareif, vehicle number is WB-53B-0447. I checked and it belongs to Birbhum district. Any help will be great. Anyone in Birbhum who can help?

Mods, cross posting from another thread. Please bear.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 10th September 2015 at 18:36.
Old 10th September 2015, 19:02   #591
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I checked and it belongs to Birbhum district. Any help will be great. Anyone in Birbhum can help?
You can ask your friend to contact the following people.

1. Mr. Pramanik, OC (Traffic), Birbhum - +918001191792

2. Mr. Ahmed, DSP, Bihar Sharif - +919431222168

3. A message can be left on +913322505087 to get in touch with DCP (Traffic), Kolkata. Better to meet him in person and ensure speedy track down of the bus.

Mods - All the numbers are official numbers, hence I don't think there's a need to shield them.
barcalad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 13:59   #592

Need advice on post crash repairs for Skoda Octavia 2.0 petrol mk-2003.

On 22 January 2016 we got into an accident on NH6 in Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, where a Honda driver apparently lost control and jumped 5" wide divider and crashed onto the side of my car which caused us to crash into a roadside ditch after approximately a 400 degree clockwise skid/turn.

Thankfully me, my father and the guy in the other car were unscathed. (full marks to the build quality of the vehicle here)
Also seatbelts work. ALWAYS wear them!

Pics attached:-
Damaged areas of my vehicle as well as the other car to give an idea about the magnitude of impact.

Have also attached the estimate for repairs given by the local Skoda Dealer- Speed Auto mobiles, Raipur.

I do not have insurance cover for the vehicle. (stupid I know. will never happen again)
Also I don't have the details of, or the confirmation of absence of, the insurance of the other guy. And to add to that He told the cops that he had lost his drivers license. So that leaves even less hope of getting aid from insurance for his legal liability. I am confused about this though. How does third party insurance work? Is my vehicle covered as well or just bodily injury to me?

Also, Given the fact that the vehicle is 12+ year old, I sometimes feel that it is not a good financial decision to put that much into the repairs. But, I like the car. Engine is unharmed and it still runs brilliantly. I don't want to sell it off just to avoid the hassle.

I was thinking of getting the bits like the Axle, rims etc repaired at the dealers and find some outside place for the rest of the repairs, mostly denting/paint.

Do the door assemblies really need to be replaced? no chance of repair?
Also the RR axle, 65k ?! do I have an alternative?

Please advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-img_20160122_135013.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-img_20160122_135020.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-img_20160122_140740.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-tbhp_estimate.jpg  

Old 29th January 2016, 15:43   #593
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice on post crash repairs for Skoda Octavia 2.0 petrol mk-2003.

Hi Harshwardhan,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Good thing being both cars held up well and nothing happened to the occupants.

From the pictures, it looks like the running board has taken a lot of impact, door metal has badly dented and the rear panel too is badly crumpled.

Do consider that this is already a 13 year old car now. Plus after the repairs, even if done at the A.S.S. and by replacing the doors, the car will still not look like what it used to. I mean it will not give you the satisaction.
If done outside, without replacing the doors, it will look even more bad.'

My two cents, best to save that 3.3L (which is only an initial estimate btw), sell the car in as-is-where-is basis which can fetch you another 70k-100k I guess. with 4.5-5L, either pick a used sedan (you will get a lot of Ventos/Rapids in that range) or top up that amount and buy new one.

PS: No point in having a comprehensive insurance on a 6-7+ year car. One hardly gets anything in the even of repairs.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 15:56   #594
GTO
Team-BHP Support

While I'm happy to hear that there were no serious injuries, it's very foolish of you to be driving around without insurance cover.

Your carelessness has cost you. The other car's insurance company will use this as an excuse and wiggle out of its liability - their lawyers will find a way. You could try fighting it out with them, but it'll take you years.

Get it repaired from an independent garage at your own cost. Will be far cheaper. But please, GET INSURANCE once she's back on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
sell the car in as-is-where-is basis which can fetch you another 70k-100k I guess.
Fat chance. A 12+ year old Octavia damaged 2.0 petrol? 30k - 50k tops.

Last edited by GTO : 29th January 2016 at 15:58.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 16:20   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
to be driving around without insurance cover.

Your carelessness has cost you. The other car's insurance company will use this as an excuse and wiggle out of its liability - their lawyers will find a way. You could try fighting it out with them, but it'll take you years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshwardhan View Post
I do not have insurance cover for the vehicle. (stupid I know. will never happen again)
Also I don't have the details of, or the confirmation of absence of, the insurance of the other guy. And to add to that He told the cops that he had lost his drivers license.
On the basis of the above quote, I assumed he does not have comprehensive coverage. But if even the 3rd party cover is missing (which is mandatory), then I doubt you will even get that 30-50k in salvage value. Your car may get impounded for being driven around without insurance.

PS: Mods, please merge with the earlier post. Edit time had lapsed so posted a new one.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 29th January 2016 at 16:22.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 16:26   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshwardhan View Post

Also I don't have the details of, or the confirmation of absence of, the insurance of the other guy. And to add to that He told the cops that he had lost his drivers license. So that leaves even less hope of getting aid from insurance for his legal liability. I am confused about this though. How does third party insurance work? Is my vehicle covered as well or just bodily injury to me?
Third party insurance covers physical injury/death . Insurance coverage to third party property is limited to 6K only. From what I understand, you can file civil claims for anything higher.

You can check if the other party has insurance at http://www.policyholder.gov.in/Vehic..._216.aspx?NEWS
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 23:38   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

So it is happening for the 3rd time that my car is suffering entirely because of other's mistake. My parked Zen has been rear ended for the second time now. :(
Happened at a relative's place where after a dinner I had to see this painful sight. Someone rear ended my car and fled. Need advice after Accident-image.jpg
Old 6th May 2016, 13:32   #598

What if FIR is not the best option to deal with an accident ?

Note to Admins - I was unable to find right thread to post that. Please move to right thread it might belong to.

Dear all,

I am posting this query on behalf of my friend who met with a minor accident yesterday but thing seems to be blown out of proportion.

Actual Incident :

Yesterday afternoon, he was travelling from Bellandur towards ITPL for office commute. Near Kundanhalli gate signal, when traffic he moving smoothly at an average pace of around 35 km/h, a travel vehicle - Toyota Etios braked suddenly, this was because of a Innova in front of him took sudden right and came in his lane. My friend did hit the brakes but it was too late. He rear-ended the Etios and part of rear bumper and rear door got bit damaged. My friend was driving his i10 and took some hit in his front as well.

Post accident :

My Friend owned the fault and stopped the vehicle to have a talk with the driver. By this time driver has accumulated small crowd and started analysing the damage and loss.

Demand from Etios Driver -

Etios driver, who is also the owner of the vehicle which is 1 month old asked my friend to pay the complete damage charges and get it fixed. Not only that, he also demanded Rs 4000/day compensation for the loss of business he will incur during fixing his vehicle.

My friend's plea -

He accepted the mistake and informed Etios driver to claim the insurance, whatever the NCB hit he might get, he will pay upfront. For which driver didn't agree as it will bring the cost of the vehicle down if he wish to resale later.

Interaction with Toyota Service center -

Vehicle was taken to service center and total estimation came to around Rs 45000 including labour charges. This is not small amount to be paid in cash.

My friends conversation with Insurance company (ICICI) -

He was told a procedure which follows as given below.
  1. Let the person who took the hit file an FIR.
  2. Hire a advocate and let him fight the case in the court.
  3. why to get in all this complicated procedure, just pay the money and do out court settlement.

My friend was not happy with the way insurance representative talked and suggestions made.

Catch -

My friends H1B visa is in pipeline (though not confirmed as lottery result is still not out), he is scared if the FIR against him can hit his VISA approval.

My question -

How to take this further. As what I see, if driver can smell that he is reluctant to go via FIR and insurance, he might blackmail to extrort as much money as he needs.
Only option my friend has is to open is pocket and pay what ever driver asks, which is not right again.

Help.
Old 6th May 2016, 13:46   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What if FIR is not the best option to deal with an accident ?

I don't think a traffic ding-up is required to be mentioned/has an impact in Visa applications(?)
There's no loss of property or life.
If you can get this clarified from a lawyer, I would advise your friend to tell the other guy to go ahead and file an FIR. The money will be paid by the insurance firm after he wins.
I hope insurance is in place, yeah?
Moreover, if he is so inclined, tell him to offer the guy the balance from an insurance claim, else nothing. A compromise is just an open avenue for an extortionist. Bend once, keep bending. Going by his demands, like 4k per day etc, he seems to be one.

But get the criminality of a traffic accident FIR cleared first with a lawyer. Your lawyer.
mayankk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 14:09   #600

Re: What if FIR is not the best option to deal with an accident ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I don't think a traffic ding-up is required to be mentioned/has an impact in Visa applications(?)
There's no loss of property or life.
If you can get this clarified from a lawyer, I would advise your friend to tell the other guy to go ahead and file an FIR. The money will be paid by the insurance firm after he wins.
I hope insurance is in place, yeah?
Moreover, if he is so inclined, tell him to offer the guy the balance from an insurance claim, else nothing. A compromise is just an open avenue for an extortionist. Bend once, keep bending. Going by his demands, like 4k per day etc, he seems to be one.

But get the criminality of a traffic accident FIR cleared first with a lawyer. Your lawyer.
Thank you Mayank.

Yes he has insurance covered and he is ready to pay the balance from the insurance claim as well. So it means that if he disagrees to go via our of court settlement, an advocate needs to be hired and take this further in court. Any idea how long does it take to clear any of such cases ?

Most Viewed