Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2017, 15:42   #15106
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Hi,

I want to drive from Bangalore airport towards ITPL,whitefield today evening and google maps is showing me a new route via BK halli which will eventually merge onto Begur road.
I am aware of connecting to Begur road from Devenahalli town but this new route is short and i am skeptical about the road condition from BK halli road till Begur road.

https://goo.gl/maps/57ygWrX5HR22

Has anyone already taken this route before?
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.png  

Old 14th December 2017, 19:01   #15107
Senior - BHPian

Finally better sense prevailed, the tiny U-Turn in front of VIMS/More on ORR, Marathahalli is closed. Hoping that closure is permanent
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2017_1214_153957_006.jpg  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 19:22   #15108
Senior - BHPian

Any thought on the 'Less Traffic Sundays' initiative by the bangalore traffic police?
Apparently every second Sunday, private vehicles will not be allowed to ply within city limits. This seems like such a farce.
1. Sunday is already a less traffic day. So if you want to reduce pollution, you should implement this on a week day.
2. On the road, Bangalore seems to have more taxis and commercial vehicles than private vehicles, so how does banning only private vehicles help?
3. Only people out on Sunday mornings are church goers and people planning a short day trip. Why force them to use taxis?
4. Bus connectivity in Bangalore is extremely poor. If there is a straight bus, then no other mode is faster (cars included). But unfortunately for example to go from Malleshwaram to Sankey tank (about 1 km), you have to change 2-3 buses. It's faster to walk.
5. Metro runs on a reduced frequency on weekends. Also connectivity is poor.
6. Bangalore being an IT capital, most people travel on regular days by company cab. On Sunday morning, these IT guys leisurely wash their car and then take it for a drive with their family. Why halve this culture?
7. A lot of people from out of town come in to Bangalore on Sundays for their shopping. Where are these people going to park their cars and take a taxi?
8. Sunday evening sees a lot of Bangaloreans coming back from trips. How do they get home?

Any comments??
Old 14th December 2017, 20:04   #15109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Any thought on the 'Less Traffic Sundays' initiative by the bangalore traffic police?
Hey! They are definitely not planning to ban private vehicles on that day .

Only urging people not to take their private vehicles on those Sundays. No idea about the feasibility of such an idea. But yes, you are right on all those points.

Transport minister-

"We already have 64 lakh private vehicles on the road and would like to avoid a smog situation, as in Delhi, in Bengaluru. While we are not banning private vehicles on that day, we will try to create an awareness among Bengalureans to utilise public transport or hire yellow board vehicles to avoid pollution in the city,"

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61882549.cms
Old 14th December 2017, 20:28   #15110
Senior - BHPian

Is hiring taxi cabs less polluting than using private car for the same distance? Unless we have vehicles that can carry more number of people and use less polluting fuel options, how will this help ?
Old 14th December 2017, 21:30   #15111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Is hiring taxi cabs less polluting than using private car for the same distance? Unless we have vehicles that can carry more number of people and use less polluting fuel options, how will this help ?
Cabs will already be on the roads. If you bring out your personal vehicle it adds one more vehicle thereby increasing the pollution by a bit. If you make use of the taxi than there will be one less polluting vehicle on the road. Similar to how car pooling helps.
Old 14th December 2017, 21:38   #15112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Cabs will already be on the roads. If you bring out your personal vehicle it adds one more vehicle thereby increasing the pollution by a bit. If you make use of the taxi than there will be one less polluting vehicle on the road. Similar to how car pooling helps.
I dont think cabs will be running on roads without passengers. Also, most cabs will have 1 person or 1 family that could have anyway used their own car. Not everyone does car pooling.
Old 14th December 2017, 21:45   #15113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I dont think cabs will be running on roads without passengers. Also, most cabs will have 1 person or 1 family that could have anyway used their own car. Not everyone does car pooling.
You have not seen empty uber/ola cabs running/parked on the road sides? I see many of my daily route. And again I have taken uber pool/ola share and those are actually the most sought after ones.

Regarding car pooling, just check out apps like quick ride, green pool. Quick ride have tie ups with many companies and I have been using it from past 6-7 months and have shared almost 500 rides. This include even people who are not getting uber and then try out in quick ride and join in.

Though I am not in favor of banning private vehicles (what if there is emergency) but even if 10% people do think about not taking out vehicles atleast once in a quarter for starters, there would be some improvement in the traffic. These days I have started using uber, autos or buses for my weekend jaunts and take out my car only if I have to take mom out and goto multiple places.
Old 15th December 2017, 08:21   #15114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Finally better sense prevailed, the tiny U-Turn in front of VIMS/More on ORR, Marathahalli is closed. Hoping that closure is permanent
If they just dump earth, I don't think it will last long. Last night, saw a biker trying to create a path through the dumped earth to take U-turn.
Old 15th December 2017, 22:07   #15115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshiqueS View Post
Hi,

I want to drive from Bangalore airport towards ITPL,whitefield today evening and google maps is showing me a new route via BK halli which will eventually merge onto Begur road.

I am aware of connecting to Begur road from Devenahalli town but this new route is short and i am skeptical about the road condition from BK halli road till Begur road.

https://goo.gl/maps/57ygWrX5HR22

Has anyone already taken this route before?

I take this route regularly . It is a deserted road and quite lonely after dark. The road surface is in good condition but for the last month or so portions of the road have been blocked by piles of harvested ragi awaiting threshing.
Well worth the trouble considering the jams on the ring road due to white topping work.
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 09:16   #15116
BHPian

Just came across this tweet being retweeted by the BTP. According to this, the white topping work between Hennur and KR Pura ring road will be completed and the roads will be opened to traffic in a week. Now this I would love to see, given the current state of the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1513395951658.jpg  

nambiarshreyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 10:17   #15117
Senior - BHPian

Oh this one? There is the tiniest u turn that bikers have made on top of the Marathahalli Bridge itself (Opposite Nandini). This bit holds up traffic on the right lane, both sides. I've observed that this was closed numerous times and at night miscreants from the surrounding slums open it up. Traffic police look the other way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
the tiny U-Turn in front of VIMS/More on ORR, Marathahalli is closed.
Old 16th December 2017, 11:28   #15118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
There is the tiniest u turn that bikers have made on top of the Marathahalli Bridge itself (Opposite Nandini).
This is the one in front of A2B? I was thinking this is an officially sanctioned one, since the nearest U-turns are in front of Star Bazaar towards east and after the HP pump towards west. When this is closed people tend to ride against the traffic flow which leads to far worse problems in the area.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 12:07   #15119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is the one in front of A2B? I was thinking this is an officially sanctioned one, since the nearest U-turns are in front of Star Bazaar towards east and after the HP pump towards west. When this is closed people tend to ride against the traffic flow which leads to far worse problems in the area.
Yup, this is an official one. I think BTP have realised it is blocking traffic on both sides and have tried to close it via temporary measures, but someone opens it up. While this tiny U Turn is not a great idea, they should have atleast made it slightly bigger so that 2 wheelers can turn in both directions without waiting. Now it is so small that only one bike towards one direction can fit in resulting in more acute jams.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 12:26   #15120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Yup, this is an official
Remember this was a bigger opening couple of years back, cars could also take U turn there. Later they put a height barrier there to avoid mini trucks taking U turn. Finally they closed it fully and again opened the small bike passage.

Strangely the first opening was made around the same time a restaurant opened next to it.

Similarly, the entry from service road to ORR near Bangalore Central Bellandur has been opened again. This was closed couple of years back due to traffic snarls on weekends with line of vehicle's trying to enter mall extending to ORR. Again, this opening coincides with opening of a restaurant chain just next to it.

In other news, from BTP FB page -

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-fb_img_1513406853361.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks