Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2017, 09:58   #15151
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
but I rather keep moving than face the horror of bikes, buses and autos swishing in and out, almost everyday I see 4-5 bumps and scrapes of other vehicles and they carry on like nothing happened.
Lesson learnt the hard way and clearly showing how out of touch I have become with local traffic ...but as with all things in life, we had a good dinner in a restaurant called Euki in Jayanagar to sort of even out the traffic fiasco.
Old 19th December 2017, 12:00   #15152
BHPian

Any civil engineers here? Can you please let us know what this two feet gap near the shoulder of the road signifies?

If this is some TenderSURE level nonsense then we already have enough evidence that this white topping is anything but an eyewash and a hassle to the commuter.

Pictures are by an acquaintance sent over Whatsapp (in a group).

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20171218wa0014.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20171218wa0013.jpg
sleepyhead148 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 13:18   #15153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
Can you please let us know what this two feet gap near the shoulder of the road signifies?
Probably space for hard shoulder. In Mumbai they build this space using interlocking tiles as a cost-effective approach (which then eventually collapse due to the load much faster than the actual carriageway).
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 08:03   #15154
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Can you please let us know what this two feet gap near the shoulder of the road signifies?
im not a civil engineer. My guess is that that gap is the space for the wheels of the cement laying machine to move. We can faintly see the machine in the background.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 09:04   #15155
BHPian

Quote:
Any civil engineers here? Can you please let us know what this two feet gap near the shoulder of the road signifies?

The two feet gap is for the machine that fills in concrete. They've filled up the gap for the first place they started (between Hennur main road and Horamavu).
the_joker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 09:05   #15156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
One word of advice for you and everyone else attempting to find ways and shotcuts to their homes or offices at any point of time - this situation is unprecedented in Bangalore's history, for the first time no shortcuts are working and every lane or approach that seems empty at first later one becomes the biggest mistake one can make, ask Pandora. For the first time we're completely defeated and every diversion ends up clogging the same bottleneck twice over and slowing down the traffic even more.
Completely agree with you. The shortcuts are no longer shortcuts and can end up in grounding you for a considerable amount of time. Thats the case all around whitefield. All the shortcuts are now clogged by Cabbies since they share the news among their whole group and they end up ruining these roads as well as the residents' peace. Yesterday, I was pooling with a lady who told me that their company cabs used to take shortcuts around KR Pura and recently the locals have barred them from entering a few areas like A Narayanapura, B Narayanapura and so on. I am not sure where these areas are, but since I did not want to end up confronted by residents when I sneak into a shortcut someday, I asked her what happened.

As per her, the residents have barred yellow board cabs from using their areas as thoroughfare. She told that once their cab was confronted by a bunch of people and were told to turn back. While I am not sure how genuine the incident was and the background, this was a development that caught my attention.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 09:05   #15157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
im not a civil engineer. My guess is that that gap is the space for the wheels of the cement laying machine to move. We can faintly see the machine in the background.
Yes you are right, its for the wheels to move and later they have filled these gaps with concrete after building the side wall/kerb. You can notice this in the first stretch that was taken up.
Old 20th December 2017, 09:14   #15158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
As per her, the residents have barred yellow board cabs from using their areas as thoroughfare.
This is I guess a common practice in many areas of Bangalore. I've seen this in Chinnapanahalli (inner roads alternative from Brookefield to ORR), in Vinayak Nagar (from HAL main gate to IRR) and Marathahalli (from ORR to Marathahalli market).
Old 20th December 2017, 10:15   #15159
BHPian

So thanks to the white topping fiasco, it looks like a huge jam from Lalbagh all the way to Madiwala. After effects seen on Bannerghatta road as well. Bad timing along with severe traffic has created havoc. All blood red in the maps.

Avoid these routes at all costs.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20171220101140_01.jpg  

Old 20th December 2017, 10:51   #15160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
As per her, the residents have barred yellow board cabs from using their areas as thoroughfare. She told that once their cab was confronted by a bunch of people and were told to turn back. While I am not sure how genuine the incident was and the background, this was a development that caught my attention.
It is true as I heard the same thing from my wife too. She travel from ITPL to Kammanahalli. Once she took office cab few weeks back on a Friday evening residents blocked some interior road near Mahadevapura and they were stuck for more than an hour due to that chaos.
Cheers.
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 11:17   #15161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
It is true as I heard the same thing from my wife too. She travel from ITPL to Kammanahalli. Once she took office cab few weeks back on a Friday evening residents blocked some interior road near Mahadevapura and they were stuck for more than an hour due to that chaos.
Cheers.
Many many years back I used to regulary see "Driving school vehicles not allowed" at Karthik Nagar (just before ISRO on ORR) when my workplace user to be at Ecospace.

Ideally, no one can have such rules at their whims and fancies and wonder how each of such "associations" and "layouts" manage this when even gated communities are now seen as illegal.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 11:21   #15162
BHPian

Quote:
I think they might do something to allow rainwater to drain out.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:28   #15163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
So thanks to the white topping fiasco, it looks like a huge jam from Lalbagh all the way to Madiwala. After effects seen on Bannerghatta road as well. Bad timing along with severe traffic has created havoc. All blood red in the maps.

Avoid these routes at all costs.
Yep this is my regular route and ever since the concretization going on I have been starting earlier to office to avoid this mess. Today started at 9 am and it was a mess all the way till St. Johns. It took me 1 hour to cross the stretch from Wilson garden to St.Johns.

Now BTP have done another work around. The stretch of road between Checkpost signal and St.Johns signal has been made one way and vehicles travelling towards St.Johns are made to use either side of the roads. All the traffic coming from Madiwala, Koramangala water tank signal are to go through St.Johns cross road -> Tavarekere road and then take a left at Nexa showroom junction back onto hosur road.

Think this might be temporary for morning traffic and in the evening they might change it accordingly.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:59   #15164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Yep this is my regular route and ever since the concretization going on I have been starting earlier to office to avoid this mess. Today started at 9 am and it was a mess all the way till St. Johns. It took me 1 hour to cross the stretch from Wilson garden to St.Johns.

Now BTP have done another work around. The stretch of road between Checkpost signal and St.Johns signal has been made one way and vehicles travelling towards St.Johns are made to use either side of the roads. All the traffic coming from Madiwala, Koramangala water tank signal are to go through St.Johns cross road -> Tavarekere road and then take a left at Nexa showroom junction back onto hosur road.

Think this might be temporary for morning traffic and in the evening they might change it accordingly.
I am finding alternate routes to avoid this junction as of now.

The one way still holds the same in the evenings. I doubt if they are changing it since I could not see the removal of barricades when I was returning the same route on Monday. I think since the flyover work is going on near Jayadeva hospital, traffic has moved towards dairy circle and this adds to the pileup.
Old 20th December 2017, 18:49   #15165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
I think they might do something to allow rainwater to drain out.
May also be used to lay cables or pipes later.

Most Viewed