Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 14:16   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
WOW!
This statement doesn't even have a hint of sarcasm.

Everybody has their own assigned jobs.
Exactly the point i am trying to make. I would surely be royally pissed off if say, someone who is a doctor by profession, passes a judgment on me as to how good a software engineer i am based on the fact that his Win95 OS crashes every second day.

Hope you get the point now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
No, i didnt. But having observed the working of many others, it wouldnt be too wrong to conclude so as well. Here are proofs of what i have observed on other occassions, just in case you missed it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...depiction.html
Thats being presumptuous. Unless you actually saw THIS cop taking bribe from the biker, you should not be accusing him thus. Guilty until proved innocent??
Quote:
For someone who doesnt value his own life, others cant decide for them. And the person in question was no innocent chap who didnt know the value of a helmet. For someone who rides a thunderbird, i expect he would have a semblance of common sense.
Look, here is the bottom line. Between moving the buses from the spot and imposing a fine on a helmetless rider, the cop was in the right in choosing to fine him. I dont think we should be criticizing each and every action taken by the cops without having enough information. See my point above which highlights the basic flaw in your argument. You accused the cop of taking bribe in this case without actually witnessing it. Then you gave reference to a thread where you saw some other cop taking bribe and painted this cop as tainted. Leave this kind of work to the media

Quote:
Its not that i didnt comprehend the sarcasm in the above quote, but i do not wish to stress further on it. You do not want keyboard warriors, you throw sarcasm at someone who tries.... err.. i dont get what it is you propose?!

@Torqy : Thanks for pitching in.
Its quite simple. You may have tried something in the past that didnt work out for whatever reasons, but in this case, you are being a keyboard warrior.

And yeah Torqy, thanks for pitching in
Old 18th June 2010, 15:08   #1562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Exactly the point i am trying to make. I would surely be royally pissed off if say, someone who is a doctor by profession, passes a judgment on me as to how good a software engineer i am based on the fact that his Win95 OS crashes every second day.

Hope you get the point now.
You DO have a point in everything and ONLY you have a point.
I don't shut down my Common Sense Server when out driving. When i see stupid things being done, i can understand. Thank God for small mercies.
If i were to shut down my common sense, i would closely follow the call centre cab ahead of me and reach office in record time.

Hmmmm... i feel bad to do this....but i'm being forced to. I just dug up one of your threads where you're questioning the SUPREME COURT OF INDIA on their decision / idea. I like that. I thought you were not supposed to comment since SUPREME COURT knows what it's doing.

Looks like your 6x6 bay window is customizable...depending on the topic.

"I think this is totally unfair and a step in the wrong direction, with right intentions though.

Fuel levy to help hit-and-run victims? - India - The Times of India

SC has proposed to the parliament to consider additional fuel levy/surcharge or a one time lifetime thirdpart insurance premium or a combination of both because SC is appalled at the plight of hit-and-run victims.

This is a classic case of misplaced intentions. Instead, SC should ask legislature to revamp the police reforms so that law enforcement is not a mere joke! You have hit-and-run cases because witnesses do not want to come forward and be subjected to harassments!"

Thanks for pitching in at the right time.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 18th June 2010 at 15:20.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:13   #1563
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its quite simple. You may have tried something in the past that didnt work out for whatever reasons, but in this case, you are being a keyboard warrior.
Well, i have tried. How about you? Sometimes, it never hurts to take in inputs from a third party. Some of the most complex problems have the simplest solutions. Also, traffic management isnt really rocket science that i should know nothing about it.

About me being a keyboard warrior, where would i be, if i didnt have a receptive audience? Thanks for being a part of the vicious circle.

Thought this rant from you is appropriate for the current context :

Quote:
Happens every day there. Sometimes even cabs do this. What is pathetic is that the traffic cops standing there actually let such morons go first as they are blocking the traffic. Elsewhere, specially in Chandigarh/Delhi, they would have got some serious stick from thullas.
Quote:
Add the Silk board junction to the list, when you take a right turn coming from Madiwala, going towards BTM. There is a left turn also but at peak hours it gets blocked by morons who have to go right....

And after that, there is a single lane right turn to go to Madiwala lake road. Again often there are two lanes of traffic going into that single lane.

Strangely enough, there are traffic cops stationed at both the intersections.
There is no point in simply ranting if you dont do anything about it. Between, amazing appreciation for the cops on duty.

About me labelling the cop in question, well that was an extended assumption, i agree. But my post was about traffic flow being given priority, rather than imposing a fine.

Since we dont agree with each other, lets leave it at that.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th June 2010 at 15:18.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:42   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You DO have a point in everything and ONLY you have a point.
I don't shut down my Common Sense Server when out driving. When i see stupid things being done, i can understand. Thank God for small mercies.
If i were to shut down my common sense, i would closely follow the call centre cab ahead of me and reach office in record time.

Hmmmm... i feel bad to do this....but i'm being forced to. I just dug up one of your threads where you're questioning the SUPREME COURT OF INDIA on their decision / idea. I like that. I thought you were not supposed to comment since SUPREME COURT knows what it's doing.

Looks like your 6x6 bay window is customizable...depending on the topic.

Thanks for pitching in at the right time.

-- Torqy
So? I didnt go hammer and tongs after anyone who begged to differ from my opinions. I dont know why its hard for you to digest that someone may think you are wrong.
Looks like your server needs some patching though
On a sidenote, thank god this forum doesnt have blinkers enabled on text otherwise am sure you would have done that as well!

Actually, at this point, i dont even know what your point is anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Well, i have tried. How about you? Sometimes, it never hurts to take in inputs from a third party. Some of the most complex problems have the simplest solutions. Also, traffic management isnt really rocket science that i should know nothing about it.

About me being a keyboard warrior, where would i be, if i didnt have a receptive audience? Thanks for being a part of the vicious circle.

Thought this rant from you is appropriate for the current context :

There is no point in simply ranting if you dont do anything about it. Between, amazing appreciation for the cops on duty.

About me labelling the cop in question, well that was an extended assumption, i agree. But my post was about traffic flow being given priority, rather than imposing a fine.

Since we dont agree with each other, lets leave it at that.
Awesome!! Let me go down to the traffic police commissioner's office and give them a piece of my mind. That way i would have "done" something and would have given me perfect right to proclaim all the activities of cops as mindless and dumb.

Please go spend at least one weekday managing traffic at a busy intersection. Then it would be easier to believe when you say that managing traffic is no rocket science.

The difference between you and your wingman torqy and me is that i form my opinion on a case by case basis and i dont let any preconceived notions cloud my judgment.

Last edited by amitoj : 18th June 2010 at 16:02.
Old 18th June 2010, 16:01   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know why its hard for you to digest that someone may think you are wrong.
Looks like your server needs some patching though
Yeah, somebody got indigestion when somebody said Cops are mute spectators when they can do the basic traffic management better.

I repeatedly said, cops don't even stop people from driving on the wrong side...and you said cops know what they're doing. Now i know some servers don't even boot up.

Quote:
Actually, at this point, i dont even know what your point is anymore.
Not just at this point. You NEVER did.
And thanks for staying that way.

-- Torqy
Old 18th June 2010, 16:07   #1566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, somebody got indigestion when somebody said Cops are mute spectators when they can do the basic traffic management better.

I repeatedly said, cops don't even stop people from driving on the wrong side...and you said cops know what they're doing. Now i know some servers don't even boot up.

Not just at this point. You NEVER did.
And thanks for staying that way.

-- Torqy
LOL. Please stop before you hurt yourself!!

If you can manage to get yourself to scroll back to yesterday's posts, my objection was (and still is) that the case mentioned by Benny was an inappropriate example of traffic police not knowing what they are doing. Acknowledge a good action when you see one. Is that too much to ask for? Hmm maybe it wont be from someone who actually uses the neural networks of the human body instead of functioning like a common box.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:53   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Alright guys. I suggest we leave this discussion out for now. Who ever has a point understands it, and lets leave it at that.

Moving on, I'd like to share my experience from early this month. The day I landed in town, I had to drive to Chikpet and I had a tough time getting to Avenue Rd.With all the one ways,and the flyovers, I was clueless! Finally managed to get onto KH Road and then into the multi-level parking next to SBI(?). The ramps were so steep, and I it took me a while to find my way in and out of the building. A few more of these (better ones,albeit) around the city and the parking situation ought to be a lot better.
Every time I try to drive within the city,I feel things have gone from bad to worse.If the traffic weren't bad enough, some of the 'crater's on the roads helped the bones in my body clatter!
On a serious note, if I do relocate to BLR, I'd love to be part of an organization that would attempt to change things and make the city a better place to commute in.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:41   #1568
BHPian

Interesting Discussion

After some gap, I looked at this thread and it's really interesting!
Reading between lines --

On architecture:
Quote:
Explain the peep-hole please....and also your 6x6 bay window.
Mathematics/Modeling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabynag View Post
Understand our behavior mathematically
New breed of netizens (excuse for another such jargon)
Quote:
you are being a keyboard warrior.
Now on IT, computer science:
Quote:
my Common Sense Server
Quote:
server needs some patching
Quote:
some servers don't even boot up.
Quote:
neural networks of the human body instead of functioning like a common box.
Some new way of emphasizing a point:
Quote:
blinkers enabled on text
(take this on a lighter note only please.. no offense meant)

Quote:
The same formulation holds good for all people across globe. In developed countries, P, A and C are significantly higher making the pay-off negative (or less lucrative) for violating rules. Hence they look more disciplined overall.
I totally agree, having had little driving experience abroad. 2-3 traffic violations - significant part of one's (junta class) month's salary is gone and you may be taken off the road too!

But not only the law, lot of other departments are passionate about this too (commercial vehicles, buses, planners, pollution control, etc). They ensure that you have the required infrastructure that facilitates or helps you follow the law. It's not just rules imposed. Like you'll have sufficient traffic lights at the junction so that you'll not miss the signal even from a distance or even if you are behind a big truck. On the contrary in Bangalore, if you try to follow lane discipline, it may be dangerous. You might end up hitting a military compound or suddenly the lane gets so narrowed that you will only be able to walk through!

Happy and Safe Driving.

Cheers,
KK
Old 21st June 2010, 18:10   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
On the contrary in Bangalore, if you try to follow lane discipline, it may be dangerous. You might end up hitting a military compound or suddenly the lane gets so narrowed that you will only be able to walk through!

Happy and Safe Driving.

Cheers,
KK
What gives me hope is the fact that ALL this is "designed" to be like that way by our great city planners / traffic experts who measure everything that goes past them.

-- Torqy
Old 21st June 2010, 19:38   #1570
BHPian

Infrastructure first or discipline first ? I guess it's a chicken-n-egg problem. Based on the available evidence, I would tend to think that Indians will not change their habit even if they are provided with US/Europe like infrastructure coupled with Indian law enforcement.

What fear drives an Indian to jump a RED signal ? What lack of infrastructure drives an Indian to show total disrespect for others' private properties ? Does polluting vehicles and adulterated oils have anything to do with infrastructure ? We are Indians - we are World's number one in maximizing our private gains at the expense of our collective gains. We always had best individual cricketers in our cricket team but we rarely maintained a good team performance. We are good at tennis (singles), chess and shooting but when it comes to football, we are nowhere.
Old 21st June 2010, 23:41   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Infrastructure first or discipline first ?
sabynag, you are right. For most of us, it does not matter if we have the right infrastructure or don't but what we essentially don't have is mindset. Our way of using the wider roads like newly laid up golden quadrilateral or the airport expressways came to my mind - I agree with you.

But for few of us, who would still like to follow as much as possible, infrastructure, lack of attitude (or the presence of it!) by fellow road users/commuters really frustrates - makes me think some times, what the heck, why should I only follow?
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:07   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
But for few of us, who would still like to follow as much as possible, infrastructure, lack of attitude (or the presence of it!) by fellow road users/commuters really frustrates - makes me think some times, what the heck, why should I only follow?
Remember that good old Prisoners' dilemma game ? This game is at play at every signal, every junction, every lane and every footpath of our country. In fact, this game is at play in most "Indian" actions, and not limited to road manners alone.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:02   #1573
BANNED

Today I had a funny incident.

Coming to a gap in median on the ORR, I was on the right most lane 40kmph approching the gap which was around a 100 mts in front with the right indicator on.

I see a flashing, honking moron in a swift right on my tail. He looked like any IT guy.

I dont bother as I am going to turn anyways. I cant move left now.

I slow down somemore approaching the gap.

The swift overtakes me from the left and he too wants to turn right. So we are both parallel to each other at the gap with a tanker(turning into our lane) standing right in front of the swift.

So this moron rolls down his window and starts saying something and gesturing to me. Something to the effect that I blocked his way. I was like duh?

So I think fine this guy is probably uneducated but I am educated. So I reverse my Bolero a bit, to let him pass first. We are anyways waiting for the traffic to ease out to enter the lane. So with a smile i gesture to him to move on.

Now this takes him completely by surprise. He looks at me and doesnt know what to do. He asks me to go first. I shake my head and say saarr please. You seem to be in a big hurry.

The person sitting next to him says thanks to me and asks the guy driving to move on.

Like it happens we meet at the next signal and the passenger gives me a thumbs up. The guy driving wouldnt look at me, but his face appeared as if he had eaten a lizard.

Last edited by Spitfire : 23rd June 2010 at 12:03.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:53   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So I think fine this guy is probably uneducated but I am educated.
So with a smile i gesture to him to move on.
The guy driving wouldnt look at me, but his face appeared as if he had eaten a lizard.
Has education has got anything to do with that fellow's behaviour? I see a lot of the educated class guys behaving selfishly as if they are in a race to get to the next signal and then wait. The kind of behaviour one sees to get hold of a promotion, perhaps. The uneducated truckers are much better.

Quote:
What lack of infrastructure drives an Indian to show total disrespect for others' private properties ?
Quote:
The perceived pay-off an Indian attaches to his contribution to maintaining a good overall traffic discipline = C
Expected incentive not to violate traffic rule = C
C = 0
Expected pay-off not to violate traffic rule = 0
When an incentive is attached to good behaviour and not violating rules, we have taken the road away from ethics and values in life. Education just acts as a turbo boost?
Old 23rd June 2010, 13:56   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Has education has got anything to do with that fellow's behaviour? I see a lot of the educated class guys behaving selfishly as if they are in a race to get to the next signal and then wait. The kind of behaviour one sees to get hold of a promotion, perhaps. The uneducated truckers are much better.
Education and literacy are two different aspects. I can read all signals and traffic light, that makes me literate. But If I am driving I follow all the rules and I understand the responsibilities associated to it, then I am educated. As far as I am concerned, an illiterate truck driver, who follows all the rules and drives responsibly, is educated not the so called well dressed, big car owner, educated class guy.

Most Viewed