Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2018, 12:10   #15796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

I used to take this road few years before to avoid the mess both at 8th Mile junction as well as Jalahalli Cross and Aiyappa Temple. Few sections were narrow with drainage around and still HCVs taking it despite of banned entry but now things are better here than before.

As you said, its longer but a great savior during times like these .
The one I took is much before the one mentioned in map. The jam was from Nelamangala toll till the Parle G factory. The road I took came somewhere through Kuduregere and touched Bagalgunte from Hesaraghatta side.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 07:15   #15797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Hebbal was choked today morning and hence decided to take Kodigehalli Main road - Dasarahalli road to work. Dasarahalli road has been patched up and has a decent layer of tarmac except for a small 50 m section. In Jan, this road was in shambles and now its a very good option to take if you want to avoid hebbal.
I took this road yesterday after a visit to CMI Aster on the way back to work in Kadubeesanahalli. Definitely a good option during peak time madness in Hebbal. Also seems like this takes you to Manyata (side entrance?) as well.
Old 20th June 2018, 08:01   #15798
BHPian

Another Traffic and Accident Update

An Etios cab has rear ended a tempo traveler in the right most lane, just as the Kadubesanhalli underpass begins, in the direction from Marathahalli to Ecospace.
Traffic was backed up till Marathahalli at 7:45 AM.

Additionally the service lane in front of Croma is clogged too.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-marathahalli-traffic.jpg

Please plan your commute accordingly.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 20th June 2018 at 08:04.
drive2eternity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 17:25   #15799
BHPian

Traffic update from Ecospace towards Sarjapur Road.
Those who are going towards Sarjapur rd need to take exit right after the Bellandur flyover. Cops have closed the exit in front of Akme Harmony and the one before Iblur flyover.

Many folks going towards HSR, who had the habit of taking the service road and joining before the Iblur flyover got trapped and left a big mess below the flyover. Cops finally opened the second exit partially to let the Volvos out.
bejoy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 17:45   #15800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Tumkur road was horribly stuck yesterday night and could see the traffic for atleast 10-15KM. I was fortunate enough to take the service road only to get stuck just before Parle G factory. Luckily found a diversion and hit Hesaraghatta road-Jalahalli-BEL circle. Though longer, I found this road really useful to avoid traffic.
We too were returning back on Sunday night & faced this problem.

The traffic towards the city was pretty much blocked from Tumkur/Kyatsandra toll itself. First, it was an accident just after the toll and then a traffic hold up to let our Dy CM head back to the city from his native. This coupled with lots of trucks (unusual for a Sunday - truckers planned strike could be the reason) on the road.

My cousin's car took 3.5 hours to cover this distance (after getting lucky to be cleared off on priority as the traffic was holding up the VIP vehicle) at around 7pm. They too took the service road after Nelamangala toll & got diverted like you said above to reach Yeshwantpur finally after 10:30pm. I was returning back after 10:30pm & it still took me 2+ hours (without any major stoping for long though) for the same distance. The road was choked with trucks blocking both lanes & the smart a#$es cutting lanes, sneaking between vehicles in bumper to bumper traffic.

Last edited by null : 20th June 2018 at 17:47.
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2018, 13:36   #15801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
[b]Those who are going towards Sarjapur rd need to take exit right after the Bellandur flyover. Cops have closed the exit in front of Akme Harmony and the one before Iblur flyover.
Thanks for the update.

It is a good move I feel, earlier when I used to take Sarjapur road, it was a pain to take the exit from ORR just before Iblur flyover to service road due to vehicles trying to enter back on ORR.

This used to cause long queue till Shell bunk almost. Now with service road improved, it should be easier.

Similar exercise was done on opposite side of the road, from Iblur - Bellandur direction couple of years back. They closed the service road entry just before Bellandur flyover. However, some 7 months back they have opened it again, strangely when a new restaurant opened up around there.
Old 25th June 2018, 11:49   #15802
Distinguished - BHPian

EXTREME IMPATIENCE AND DISCOURTESY:

It has been 3 weeks now since I started to drop my kid to school and also receive her back. We decided to do so because of the longer route the school bus was taking and the fact that I can continue to exercise this as long as I can.

This also means I have started to drive around exactly during the rush hours. I don't want to call that peak because peak hour traffic leaves you with no option to rush but you can only crawl or remain stationary. I have otherwise been an early bird, reaching office even before the company buses do so that I could avoid any confrontation with them and make the rest of the day a happy one! Yes, I still reach at my usual 0710 hours even when I have a training that starts at 0900 or 1000.

However, the 3 weeks that I have driven to my kid's school, mornings in particular and the scenes that I have been witnessing for this mere 15 minute (8 kms) drive each way has left me in gross dismay !

Everyday, I have at least one clip that I can share on the bad drivers' thread and when I drive back to school the next day, I feel I have got another one worth a post and now I feel I can straightaway upload the whole 8 hours of the total recording so you spot the bad drivers yourselves.
  • School Buses: What to say....The Speed Governors are namesake. You easily hit 80-90 KMPH below the New Airport road, shift lanes like a supercar while the poor kids' heads (and shoulders) can be seen moving sideways as you do that, jump signals taking all the risk to barely miss colliding with vehicles emerging from another direction, bully anyone else by nearly side-swiping them on narrow roads just because you want to overtake and you don't have enough space, honk and flash lights as if its a magic wand in action that will make things clear ahead of you

• Parents ferrying kids in cars and 2 wheelers: Sorry to rant but a majority of you don't understand the importance of leaving 5 minutes early but will do all that you can to show your importance on road by indulging in every possible wrong & dangerous driving maneuver just because you want to reach the school on time. I have been reaching 10 minutes before the actual arrival times of buses and most parents and I am glad I will continue to do that going forward too. It may not be easier to start 5 minutes early but it will be easier to drive and reach without an incident if you do so. Try it and then you will know why starting 5 minutes early is easier then. Its nearly when I get inside my car to head back home/work that I see cars and buses entering the school campus. Kids remain seated in front seat without belts, mothers redlining the puny cars trying to beat that next read light, 2 wheelers with kids on tank and pillion seat, clinging on to their dear lives while their daddy dear emerges out of a narrow by-lane onto a fast road at the same speed without slowing down, expecting others would notice him and brake anyway, using headlights as a weapon to take the wrong side only to save a minute or 200 meters of that extra travel...The list is endless

• Office goers: Yes, you are that dear earning member of your family, ready to drive to work with the best of your attire, the classiest car and the most promising workplace; Sadly, you still have got the worst of road manners. Stopping on the right lane to continue straight and block those who want to turn right, constant honking and dangerous lane cutting, easily getting influenced if you are being overtaken (wait I will teach you a lesson now types), speeding like an ambulance on duty when compared to the rest only to be greeted by the same drivers who you met at the previous signal at the next one you stop

• The parking etiquette inside the school: Goodness gracious! This one takes the cake. Even with the best of the parking space that is not only well marked and supported by competent security staff who can guide you to park properly, you continue to ignore them and park as you wish, killing the whole purpose of that parking slot, at various angles you can think of. Not only this, you have no patience while another parent is parking or opening the door to get his kid down and start honking right inside the school campus

I had no choice but to come up with this post, the actions described here are something that each one of us would witness every day but to me, I must admit this has been a biggest change that I have witnessed mainly due to the time I have started to drive (0730-0745) and that too on the fast KIAL road (Below flyover though) when you have lots and lots of school and college buses along with parents and office goers fighting it out on road, against TIME.

It is indeed a very sad state of affairs and Its certainly appalling mainly because our kids are witnessing all this, either sitting next to you being driven to school or silently from inside the bus while their driver keeps breaking every rule; The same kids later will take an office bus to reach their workplace and will remain silent when their bus driver does the same too!

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th June 2018 at 11:51.
paragsachania is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:00   #15803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It has been 3 weeks now since I started to drop my kid to school and also receive her back. We decided to do so because of the longer route the school bus was taking and the fact that I can continue to exercise this as long as I can.

This also means I have started to drive around exactly during the rush hours. I don't want to call that peak because peak hour traffic leaves you with no option to rush but you can only crawl or remain stationary. I have otherwise been an early bird, reaching office even before the company buses do so that I could avoid any confrontation with them and make the rest of the day a happy one! Yes, I still reach at my usual 0710 hours even when I have a training that starts at 0900 or 1000.

However, the 3 weeks that I have driven to my kid's school, mornings in particular and the scenes that I have been witnessing for this mere 15 minute (8 kms) drive each way has left me in gross dismay !

Everyday, I have at least one clip that I can share on the bad drivers' thread and when I drive back to school the next day, I feel I have got another one worth a post and now I feel I can straightaway upload the whole 8 hours of the total recording so you spot the bad drivers yourselves.
Wonderful post Parag. You have spoken the fact. Many parents do not have the concept of leaving home to drop the kids in school early. In the process of leaving late, they get caught in traffic, break rules making life for other commuters miserable, come late to school and park their vehicle haphazardly outside the school campus. Reason, they do not want to wake up their kids that early. Yes I too agree my kid should sleep some more but knowing the ground reality in Bangalore, they should plan things accordingly. In the process kids coming late to school becomes a regular habit which is not good for them.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:25   #15804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is indeed a very sad state of affairs and Its certainly appalling mainly because our kids are witnessing all this, either sitting next to you being driven to school or silently from inside the bus while their driver keeps breaking every rule; The same kids later will take an office bus to reach their workplace and will remain silent when their bus driver does the same too!
I cannot agree with you more. At times, I have really really resisted the temptation of getting down from my car, confronting the 2 wheeler papa/ mama who is breaking traffic rules like nobody's business just to drop their child(ren) to school on time. I want to ask "Don't you have any shame, riding like a maniac and endangering the lives of all people on the road including your own child. What are you trying to prove, and what values are you instilling in your children?"

Unfortunately, no one likes to be told they are in the wrong. I will be risking further confrontation and road rage, so I just take a deep breath, crib about educated morons, and move on. I can rant endlessly about this.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:29   #15805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Reason, they do not want to wake up their kids that early. Yes I too agree my kid should sleep some more but knowing the ground reality in Bangalore, they should plan things accordingly. In the process kids coming late to school becomes a regular habit which is not good for them.
Suresh, one of the days last week parents were invited to participate in Yoga day event and I was there along with 2 more Bhpians (Not very active here though). I also met the parents of my kids' class during a social conversation here and to most of them, I asked about the time they reach school and each one said its almost 2-3 minutes before 0800 that they reach school.

For a while I felt, I can as well leave late, say by 10 minutes and still reach school dot before 0800 and next day I did leave late by 5 minutes only to witness increased levels of frustration and madness on the road coupled with a little more traffic than my otherwise normal days so far. This along with the fact that you block oncoming traffic as you enter the school gate where there are buses in queue waiting to enter along with cars from both directions trying to merge by the gate - Here is where you are left in a catch-22; To be a gentleman to the other parent who wants to merge and let him pass before me, or bully him and be a gentleman to the traffic behind you which is held up because you are standing in the middle of the road with your indicators on! And if this is not over, you have to fight it out in the parking as well, when you give all hints that you are parking in reverse and some Daddy or mommy will park in forward direction in the slot where you were trying to reverse (All parents are asked to park only in reverse but one listen).

Exactly then I realised how reaching early takes care of all these aspects including my blood pressure levels too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I cannot agree with you more. At times, I have really really resisted the temptation of getting down from my car, confronting the 2 wheeler papa/ mama who is breaking traffic rules like nobody's business just to drop their child(ren) to school on time.
And this has happened to me too but with the buses that tried to bully and sneak into a gap wide enough for a bullet next to me. So I stopped ahead, rolled down and kept gesturing why he is not ashamed when he has kids in the bus and then another school bus comes to my left and gestures me to just move on (That ganging up by the drivers you see) as if its a normal day.

To add to this, the apartment where I live is on a main road (Rather, a fast main road) that when I sneak out of the gate, my bumper is on a lane and hence I take 2-3 seconds pause to assess traffic and take left and head out to my destination and to my surprise, I hear a car behind me from my own apartment honk twice asking me to move.

I let that car overtake ahead, used the RTO app and found out the name (we moved into a fairly new apartment where people are still moving in) and realised whom that car belonged to and shared a message in our residents group on how not to behave because no one will rush out of the gate onto the main road without assessing traffic.

Last edited by paragsachania : 25th June 2018 at 12:38.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 12:42   #15806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Exactly then I realised how reaching early takes care of all these aspects including my blood pressure levels too!
Your child/children will thank you very much for dropping them early too. I remember consistently reaching my school around 8:20-8:30 when bell for assembly would go off at 8:50am. That 20-30 minutes playing before school was so precious to me!

p.s. -> my wife and son like to reach school 5-10 minutes early as well, for exactly the same reasons you have outlined.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 13:09   #15807
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably going to get hell for saying this but since the last few posts have been about jams outside schools, I feel it has to be stated that a big part of the problem is private vehicles being used to drop individual students. I mean, if there is a school bus system in place, won't using that reduce the jam problems to a large extent?

I realize that there are individual considerations and of course each parent is certainly and absolutely the best decision maker for how their child gets to school. But complaining about too many vehicles when we are contributing to that situation seems a bit strange to me.

And I think the school buses these days are miles better than the unsafe, overloaded autos, broken down vans and public buses we took to get to school during our childhood.

No offense intended, just stating something I see here.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 13:31   #15808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I mean, if there is a school bus system in place, won't using that reduce the jam problems to a large extent?
This is the first time I am trying this, to drop and receive my kid from school only because the bus route takes 1 hour for a distance of 8 kms that is otherwise covered in 15 minutes. For the other bus route that takes lesser time, we need to go 600 meters ahead, cross the busy highway.

Secondly, in case if we parents are not home, I will be the last one to ask my dad to take the 2 wheeler and ride these 600 meters and receive my kid because to get inside the apartment, you need to turn right by carefully avoiding not being run over by construction lorries doing breakneck speeds here.

Thirdly, the premium at times these transport services charge is too exorbitant that even after we dropping in our own cars and considering the wear and tear, the actual spending will be half of the annual transport fees.

So the reasons can be many but for me, these are the most primary ones.

Quote:
But complaining about too many vehicles when we are contributing to that situation seems a bit strange to me.
I think the rant is towards the way parents drive and behave on roads, including the school buses and not really about the density of traffic at all. To mitigate this is what I prefer to start early and reach before rest of the crowd is entering the school campus.

Quote:
And I think the school buses these days are miles better than the unsafe, overloaded autos, broken down vans and public buses we took to get to school during our childhood.
Absolutely yes but I feel our kids being so innocent can never be able realise how badly they are being driven around before they reach school and secondly, they may never tell us about this thinking what is happening is all normal, until one day you follow the same bus your kid is traveling to school.

Quote:
Not at all & no offence taken. I think this is a healthy discussion and my post was to only highlight the bad drivers rather than bad traffic.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 13:33   #15809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Probably going to get hell for saying this but since the last few posts have been about jams outside schools, I feel it has to be stated that a big part of the problem is private vehicles being used to drop individual students. I mean, if there is a school bus system in place, won't using that reduce the jam problems to a large extent?

I realize that there are individual considerations and of course each parent is certainly and absolutely the best decision maker for how their child gets to school. But complaining about too many vehicles when we are contributing to that situation seems a bit strange to me.

The main problem is parents want door to door pick up and drop for their kids. This is catered to by private van drivers and not school buses. I do not blame any of the parents for this as safety of the kids is the most important factor. For school buses to operate on a particular route, no. of kids on that route is important to operate the bus failing which the school will not operate.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 14:13   #15810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
We too were returning back on Sunday night & faced this problem.

The traffic towards the city was pretty much blocked from Tumkur/Kyatsandra toll itself. First, it was an accident just after the toll and then a traffic hold up to let our Dy CM head back to the city from his native. This coupled with lots of trucks (unusual for a Sunday - truckers planned strike could be the reason) on the road.

My cousin's car took 3.5 hours to cover this distance (after getting lucky to be cleared off on priority as the traffic was holding up the VIP vehicle) at around 7pm. They too took the service road after Nelamangala toll & got diverted like you said above to reach Yeshwantpur finally after 10:30pm. I was returning back after 10:30pm & it still took me 2+ hours (without any major stoping for long though) for the same distance. The road was choked with trucks blocking both lanes & the smart a#$es cutting lanes, sneaking between vehicles in bumper to bumper traffic.
was stuck in the same jam last sunday night; took more than 3 hours to finally reach home (close to yeshwantpur) from Nelamangala. I think it is criminal that one person is allowed to hold up traffic like that disregarding almost 1 lac people in at least 20k vehicles; toll operator would have lost crores in revenues from 7 p.m until almost midnight. why cant the govt give these entitled jokers a helicopter of their own so that common tax paying citizens are not disturbed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks