Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2018, 07:27   #15826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I have noticed these pedestrian road crossing at Silk board, and Udipi Garden signals. The authorities should seriously consider building a pedestrian bridge/ subway at both the junctions and increase the height of the dividers to discourage crossing the roads.
In both the cases, when coming from the left side turn, this is a blind spot and it is difficult for a driver who is concentrating on making the turn before the signal to spot pedestrians who want to cross.

Meanwhile the Bannerghata road Fortis hospital/IIMB metro work is in full swing, so is the Vega mall/BTM metro work. I just came back from Mumbai and was pleasantly surprised at the speed at which the metro work is progressing. Every 2-3 months that I go, I see very good progress on the western express highway and internal areas where metro work is on.

BMRCL can learn a thing or two on speeding up the Namma metro work in Bengaluru. They have not even floated the final tenders for the full Dairy circle to Nagawara junction metro. It was initially planned to be fully underground and tenders were received, but were 70% more than what the BMRCL had anticipated. So it has now been broken to part underground and part elevated stretches to reduce costs. This stretch is critical and work needs to start soon if we want to see the Gottigere to Airport line completed before 2021 as targeted. Any pointers on where the metro stations are coming up at Gottigere, Hulimavu stations on BG road?

Last edited by hrman : 8th July 2018 at 07:29.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 15:06   #15827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
In a pedestrian-friendly world, the footpath was occupied for construction and this is the how they made provision for people to walk.

Where should the pedestrians go, without getting killed or maimed? Won't the construction company have to compensation in those cases? Why not just ban pedestrians?

This was near silk-board, where when vehicles stop at red signals, at least 50 to 100 folks cross the road.

What could be the reason for this apathy? Is it,
  • Illiteracy? - Civic authority has no idea how to cater to citizens
  • Contempt? - Civic authority knows how to make it better for citizens but they don't care.

I am constantly surprised at how our government and even other organizations apply this "just don't care" attitude. It shows up in the most unexpected places and even where an iota of common sense or compassion would dictate that some sort of allowance should be made for others who might be in the vicinity.

I think it is those same people who occupy three-fourths of the road, piling construction material while building their houses. Or, may be even those who simply block the road for their private celebrations.

This "Metro", will take years to complete, but no thought has been given to how to redirect traffic so that there is minimum inconvenience to the users.

It is not just "ban pedestrians", it is "ban everyone who is not a neta" attitude.

Another problem I can point out with the BMRCL construction planning (if there any such word in their vocabulary) is the gaps in the temporary walls, just wide enough to allow vehicle to enter or exit them, with no visibility for vehicles both on the main Hosur highway and the vehicle coming at a right angle to the highway. I wonder, who came up with such moronic solutions?
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 18:25   #15828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
It was initially planned to be fully underground and tenders were received, but were 70% more than what the BMRCL had anticipated. So it has now been broken to part underground and part elevated stretches to reduce costs.
I haven't seen this change in plans in their website. Of course their website has old documents. Can you please point me to a link?

Thanks.
Old 8th July 2018, 18:35   #15829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I haven't seen this change in plans in their website. Of course their website has old documents. Can you please point me to a link?

Thanks.
Here you go..

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...e-1777049.html

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/64299621.cms

I am subscribed to a nice website: TMRG: https://themetrorailguy.com/category/bangalore/
He used to post updates on all metro projects around India. Has been less active for a few months

Last edited by hrman : 8th July 2018 at 18:47.
hrman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 11:19   #15830
Senior - BHPian

A follow up on my own query on the locations of the Hulimavu and Gottigere stations.
I was going through the DPR for this line on the BMRCL website. After some calculations and assumptions considering the IIMB station and JP Nagar 4th phase station, I found the likely metro stations are planned around Hulimavu Arch (Hulimavu station) and near Mantri residency (Gottigere). If this is the case, the metro line will terminate at Kalena Agrahara and not Gottigere. Highly unlikely IMHO.

This is as per the DPR of 2011 done by the DMRC. Not sure if plans have changed since.
Old 9th July 2018, 11:49   #15831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
A follow up on my own query on the locations of the Hulimavu and Gottigere stations.
I was going through the DPR for this line on the BMRCL website. After some calculations and assumptions considering the IIMB station and JP Nagar 4th phase station, I found the likely metro stations are planned around Hulimavu Arch (Hulimavu station) and near Mantri residency (Gottigere). If this is the case, the metro line will terminate at Kalena Agrahara and not Gottigere. Highly unlikely IMHO.

This is as per the DPR of 2011 done by the DMRC. Not sure if plans have changed since.

For the BYPL - Kadugodi stretch as well as the ORR routes the BMRC had published a detailed alignment map which was a very accurate representation of where each and every Pillar and structure were placed. However, they removed the same from the website and also are no longer posting any alignment maps for the rest of the reaches. The DPR has a very rough indication of the same. Even I am curious to know the alignment of this reach. Will tweet and see if it yields any fruit.
Old 9th July 2018, 12:24   #15832
Senior - BHPian

I suppose the proposed Metro station at Bommanahalli is called Oxford Engineering stop and the one at Rupena Agrahara, HSR layout stop. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10th July 2018, 12:52   #15833
Senior - BHPian

Brace for impact. Once construction starts, it may lead to chaos on Old Airport Road for months.

BBMP and HAL sign MoU; underpass to come up near Suranjan Das Road Junction

Quote:
Under the provisions of the MoU, BBMP will construct underpass on HAL Airport Road near Suranjan Das Road Junction. The Government of Karnataka has already approved the required fund under Chief Minister’s Nagarothana scheme. Apart from the 3,100 sqm land required for construction of underpasses, HAL will hand over an additional land of 600m X 8 m from Ambedkar Park to Sports Complex within HAL premises for traffic diversion. The timeline for the underpasses project is about 12 months from the date of handing over the required land.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bb.jpg  

Old 10th July 2018, 13:13   #15834
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh brother, they've been after that land for some time. Looks like they finally got it.

This is the second salvo. The first was chopping down all the gorgeous Gulmohurs on Suranjan Das road itself. Expect the rest of Old Airport Road to get 'widened' next. Fellow Bangaloreans and fellow worker bees in the IT sector of ORR/Whitefield, we've done a great job with our increasingly bigger cars, refusal to car pool, insistence on personal transport and convenience. Expect that gorgeous tree-lined road to go down soon. Just like what's happening on Kanakapura Road right now.

Good going to all of us!

Last edited by am1m : 10th July 2018 at 13:16.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 10:33   #15835
BHPian

One of the many reasons why the potholes never go away in Bengaluru...

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/64937568.cms
Old 11th July 2018, 11:28   #15836
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The Railway parallel road+NGEF factory road connecting Kasturi Nagar and Old Madras Road merges near the BMRCL office complex. Earlier, there was a signal and vehicles could turn right onto Old Madras Road towards Indiranagar direction. Last year, this signal was removed and medians were added on Old Madras road preventing the right turn and another median was added on the NGEF Road side that forces traffic to turn left.

However, our super smart motorists, especially 2 wheelers would end up making an illegal U-turn onto the wrong side of the Old Madras Road and then scoot across the Suranjandas road junction to continue towards Indiranagar!

Took this road yesterday and on merging with Old Madras Road, saw a Red Baleno make the illegal U-turn. He made a wide turn and luckily not much traffic but he was going head-on at a 2 wheeler who took him on by stopping in front of the Baleno's bonnet and asked him to head back in the right direction. Don't know what happened after that - I continued ahead towards Baiyappanahalli metro station and from what I saw in the ORVM, I'm guessing the Baleno still continued straight on the wrong side after dodging the 2 wheeler and few cars. No dearth of "educated" morons on our roads

Last edited by NPV : 11th July 2018 at 11:30.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 13:29   #15837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

However, our super smart motorists, especially 2 wheelers would end up making an illegal U-turn onto the wrong side of the Old Madras Road and then scoot across the Suranjandas road junction to continue towards Indiranagar!

Daily problem for me when I go to work. I have not seen many cars till now but there is a sea of two wheelers. The issue further aggravates when they try to dodge the oncoming traffic. While some of the riders take a U turn and stick to the edge of the road, the others try to stick to the median. This depends upon traffic. Hence, if you are in the front of the queue waiting for the signal to turn green to proceed towards BYPL Metro, once you start moving, the dodging game starts. I drive on the rightmost lane here and if there is any two wheeler then I make sure they will have to get back to the edge of the road or center. If I try to make space for these morons, then the person driving beside me will be affected, especially if the issue cascades.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 14:19   #15838
Distinguished - BHPian

I received this a few minutes ago on Whatsapp. Was not sure if I should put this here or the Jokes thread. I felt it is more apt here

It is easier to get into IIMB through CAT than via Bhannerughatta road

hemanth.anand is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 15:45   #15839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It is easier to get into IIMB through CAT than via Bhannerughatta road
A rehash of an earlier one, which went:

It's easier to get to IIT Powai via JEE than via JVLR

(this one rolls of the tongue more easily)
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 09:46   #15840
Senior - BHPian

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/64952043.cms

How come Silk board junction does not figure in the above list ??
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks