Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 08:01   #1576
BHPian

Very true. Sometimes I feel that though a person is educated and literate, it is the attitude when riding/ driving that matters. in-spite of having cognizance of all the rules, I have seen people breaking it in audacity/ glee. I guess Spitfire has taught the guy a very valuable lesson in traffic-patience.
Old 24th June 2010, 09:18   #1577
BANNED

I had been to some good parts of Vijayanagar yesterday night, and i must admit. HORRIBLE

Never would go there again, you dont get any roads to drive on, what chaotic traffic,
Old 24th June 2010, 11:58   #1578
BHPian

Examples of brilliantly designed junctions. Please note that these were not done in the 1970's.

1. Ramamurthy Nagar signal.

Its like a football field. Anybody can go in any direction, whichever way they want. In a country where we don't even understand the meaning of QUEUE what more do we need for proper traffic flow. People are forced to stand in queue ONLY when there are barricades / dividers. No dividers? No problem.

This was done almost 2 years back when you expect the designers to be more knowledgeable with all the measurements they took. What CRAP!

2. Horamavu signal.

WOW. Thats football field #2.
Amazing design. Not at all confusing. I still haven't figured out whether the service roads approaching / leaving the signal are one-way or two-way and so are the 100's of people who use that road. So i still stick to the left lane.

The length of the divider says that its a joke.
You can see vehicles moving in all directions irrespective of the signal. Dividers are not to separate left traffic from right. It is to separate MORONS from IDIOTS. You'll find idiots on the left waiting while MORONS move ahead on the other side.

I'd love to meet these atroCITY PLANNERS.

-- Torqy
Old 24th June 2010, 12:29   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Examples of brilliantly designed junctions. Please note that these were not done in the 1970's.

1. Ramamurthy Nagar signal.

Its like a football field. Anybody can go in any direction, whichever way they want. In a country where we don't even understand the meaning of QUEUE what more do we need for proper traffic flow. People are forced to stand in queue ONLY when there are barricades / dividers. No dividers? No problem.

This was done almost 2 years back when you expect the designers to be more knowledgeable with all the measurements they took. What CRAP!

-- Torqy
What is it that you find problematic at the Ramamurthy nagar junction, except morons defying the signals?
Old 24th June 2010, 12:53   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
What is it that you find problematic at the Ramamurthy nagar junction, except morons defying the signals?
Its too huge a place with no proper dividers.
Have you noticed how a single right turning lane becomes 3 lanes by the time it hits the right turn. That's because its a long way from one end to the other and there is nothing to "regulate" or keep them in a single lane.

If you're coming from RM Nagar side, there are 2 lanes to wait. Right - Hebbal, Left / Straight - Banaswadi. You'll find an extra lane / space on the extreme left. When the regular 2 lanes fill up, people start wiaitng in this extra lane...even if they want to turn right! They can do all this because, its a looooooooooong way from this point to the actual turn and they're sure they can squeeze thru traffic.

-- Torqy
Old 24th June 2010, 13:03   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
True.
Maybe you saw an auto getting pulled over. But how many just escape? I'm not saying a biker shouldn't get pulled over for helmet issue. He should be. And a cop cannot catch everybody.....but the issue is he DOES NOT even TRY.

But, look around, you'll see vehicles jumping signals, potential traffic hazards on wheels (e.g. trucks with iron rods jutting out, trucks with no headlights etc). But nothing happens to them. Our brilliant traffic cop does NOT see any issue.
And then he sees a biker without a helmet waiting at the signal. He knows this is easy prey.

What is more dangerous? A truck which ran a redlight crashing into you or a biker without a helmet waiting at the signal?

Yes, i'm typing away sitting at my computer and so is everybody else.
I drive to office everyday. I stop at redlight when smart people drive on the wrong side of the divider and jump the signal. NOTHING happens to them. WHY? They reach office in 30 mins where i take 90.

I don't expect cops to catch EVERY offender. In other parts of the world, cops are respected and feared. So the offenders are less. Here they're treated like $#$#. People know nothing will happen even if they jump the signal. And everybody does it. In such a scenario, i don't expect them to catch ANYBODy at all. Poor cops.

-- Torqy
I don't know,if its only me or everyone feels so.
You are trying to justify an offense with other offenses.

Like school kids who cry when teacher punishes him and asks innocently "x did the same thing and why are you not punishing him".

The traffic cop is doing his duty and in heavy traffic like Bangalore ,he can't catch and check all offenses. Once you and others saw him stopping a non-helmet rider, it acts as a caution to others passing through that signal.

Thats the only way,we can improve in our country.

Lets appreciate them for giving us way,by standing all the day in sun/rain and pollution.

Old 24th June 2010, 13:41   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
The traffic cop is doing his duty
Well, I don't fully agree to this. Not saying about all - but majority are not doing their expected duty. If I am right, first and foremost the traffic cop is expected to control the traffic and ensure the safety of road users. They do everything else.

Many a times, I have specifically pointed out a serious traffic offender and the cop would simply shrug off and show his helplessness. Once I saw a truck in the late evening with dangerously loaded steel rods protruding out, it does not have rear lights and drives in the middle of the road (ORR). I go to the next traffic signal, approach a cop, wait for this truck to turn-up and show the cop on what's happening.. still he does not bother. I draw attention of a cop to a fully loaded BMTC jumping a red signal in full speed right in front of his eye, nothing happens. Just couple of days back, I noticed a Qualis with thick smoke, royally driving in the middle. I stop at a cop and show it to him and nothing happens. But whenever checking happens, I will be asked for my pollution certificate (will be fined in the absence of it, despite proving that I have got my bike serviced just few weeks back) I can list several instances like these..

It may not be practical to catch all the offenders - especially say during peak hour traffic but even when it's possible, they don't act.

Regularly what I see on the ORR is cops stopping non KA registration trucks/vehicles (which should be an RTO's job isn't it?) or waiting on a blind corner for poor two wheeler guys who apparently would not have violated any traffic rules. Or setting-up no parking zones and collecting fines in front of private car parks (example is on the service road near Innovative Multiplex, Home Town, Marathahalli).

Well, there are good cops - like a senior cop I see everyday at Nagavara who closely works with his colleagues through out the day and another at Bellandur - they are really hardworking but that's a real rare sight. There are senior officers too who are forward thinking but I doubt if that flows down the hierarchy up to the ground level.
Old 24th June 2010, 13:45   #1583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Like school kids who cry when teacher punishes him and asks innocently "x did the same thing and why are you not punishing him".

The traffic cop is doing his duty and in heavy traffic like Bangalore ,he can't catch and check all offenses. Once you and others saw him stopping a non-helmet rider, it acts as a caution to others passing through that signal.

Lets appreciate them for giving us way,by standing all the day in sun/rain and pollution.

I don't think he is trying to justify any offense here. Have you ever seen a cop catching a moron who jumps a signal or who gets into the right lane when people are patiently waiting at the left lane? I have not.
Old 24th June 2010, 13:51   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Its too huge a place with no proper dividers.
Have you noticed how a single right turning lane becomes 3 lanes by the time it hits the right turn. That's because its a long way from one end to the other and there is nothing to "regulate" or keep them in a single lane.

If you're coming from RM Nagar side, there are 2 lanes to wait. Right - Hebbal, Left / Straight - Banaswadi. You'll find an extra lane / space on the extreme left. When the regular 2 lanes fill up, people start wiaitng in this extra lane...even if they want to turn right! They can do all this because, its a looooooooooong way from this point to the actual turn and they're sure they can squeeze thru traffic.

-- Torqy
True. To me it looks more like drivers/riders fault that a design problem.
If they can now sort out the railway overbridge issue, it will make a lot of difference!

Only if people realize that the underpass at RM Nagar/Banaswadi junction provides a huge relief compared to the pre-bypass times!!

A general question, though, are service lanes around the bypass two-laned or single-laned? I'm guessing they should be two-laned.
Old 24th June 2010, 13:58   #1585
BHPian

Quote:

Wow. This topic is back.
(Everybody would've guessed it. Traffic is my favourite topic!)

I don't understand the "justifying an offence by another".
I was rather pointing out that when the cop is handling the helmet case, he is not even looking at the vehicles jumping signals which is dangerous. Not wearing a helmet will harm only him, whereas not stopping at a signal affects others. You decide which is more dangerous.

Its like you stopped at the red signal where 3 others behind you didn't.
But you get fined for not wearing seat-belt. Coz' thats the easiest thing a one can do. It takes more effort to stop those signal breakers.
I wasn't justifying anything.

For my view on traffic cops, please read http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ats-wrong.html

-- Torqy
Old 24th June 2010, 14:19   #1586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
True. To me it looks more like drivers/riders fault that a design problem.
If they can now sort out the railway overbridge issue, it will make a lot of difference!

Only if people realize that the underpass at RM Nagar/Banaswadi junction provides a huge relief compared to the pre-bypass times!!

A general question, though, are service lanes around the bypass two-laned or single-laned? I'm guessing they should be two-laned.
I'd say design problem..coz' the huge size gives a LOT of room for the already stupid drivers / riders. The actual junction should've been smaller.

Imagine a Cinema Ticket counter with no railings to regulate the queue...or with 6-ft wide lanes. What will be the scene? We Indians are good at making use of space at all the wrong places.

Yes, the under-pass is a great relief. Most of the times the jam is because the traffic from Koshy's hospital road is not co-ordinated with the RM junction signal.

They're 2 laned, but not sure whether they're one-ways.

-- Torqy
Old 24th June 2010, 19:26   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I don't think he is trying to justify any offense here. Have you ever seen a cop catching a moron who jumps a signal or who gets into the right lane when people are patiently waiting at the left lane? I have not.
Agree.
I did a similar stuff (Tried a U-turn,when I missed one turn.I was not in the right most line,but in middle one)in Chennai and the traffic cop told me to go straight.

In Bangalore,you do u-turns from extreme left or from extreme left service road,no one cares.

After driving 5 years in BLR traffic,I think I too skip rules many times.

Another point to note here is, the way police treat the vehicle according to its standard.

In central India (Madhya Pradesh/Chattisgarh),police won't stop your cars for checking or create any trouble.(I'm talking about 4/5 year back story).Its because ,a car owner on those place means either politician or some big shot. Also the police need only 10 Rs as bribe for normal bike offenses.

This attitude is everywhere in India.The common sense tells the policeman how to act. If he stop an audi,BMW or other high end car and cause trouble to the "most respectful passengers" inside, he know he has to run from pillar to post to save his cap. Now if we are on his shoes,we will also do the same. An average policeman still get <10,000 Rs as his salary in most of our states.

As read in some other thread recently,as long as we've this big gap between common man and rich class, these stuff will be there.

Only thing we can do is to educate more people and let them think like we do. That way we can make some change.When more people start thinking our way and see humans as humans,irrespective of power,money ,caste and all, our community/society and police will improve.
Old 24th June 2010, 21:44   #1588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This attitude is everywhere in India.The common sense tells the policeman how to act. If he stop an audi,BMW or other high end car and cause trouble to the "most respectful passengers" inside, he know he has to run from pillar to post to save his cap. .
Hence the proliferation of CH registered highend BMW's and Range rovers in Bangalore - where Rs 3k and 18% of invoice value. Guess who has the better roads!
Old 25th June 2010, 14:29   #1589
BHPian

Awareness : Bangalore Autos...and the complaints

Not sure if this has already been posted here. I got it through an internal mail
FYI Bangaloreans.

You are in a hurry to catch the train. You pack all your stuff and frantically run out in the hope of catching an auto. You come out and see 5 autos standing at the corner. You thank God and ask them - "Majestic chaloge kya??" The Answer is "Rs 200 hoga!!". "Kya?? It just cost Rs 100 till Majestic". "Bahut rush hai sir!!". You move on to the next auto, to try your luck and surprisingly, you have the same conversation "Bahut rush hai sir!!". Finally you give up and bargain the price to Rs 170 and hope you don't miss your train.

Sounds more than familiar??
You stand on the road and keep on asking the passing autos for a ride to your destination - if it's not your day, the autos will not even bother to stop; if you're a bit lucky they might actually slow down to hear your destination' s name and think for a second( i always wonder if they are calculating their net profit) and then speed away. However if you are more lucky, the auto guy might actually quote you an exorbitant price and then speed away. But if it's your extremely lucky hour of the day, you might end up getting an auto which is ready to take you to the destination at meter price.
In my six years of existence in Bengaluru, these experiences have been really instrumental in teaching me great virtues - Patience and Tolerance. But at what price??? exorbitant rates, extremely rude behavior and what not .
After years of feeling used, i set out to find the answer for this misery - was there no government system that could bring these auto guys to justice? As a citizen, how can i express my concern?
This search took me to the Koramangala RTO office (BDA complex) and to my surprise i found that there did exist a government system which i believe 99.99% of Bengaluru is unaware of !!

The System
Note the vehicle number (KA-XX-YY-ZZZZ) and email the details to transcom@kar. nic.in <mailto:transcom@kar.nic.in> . Based on the prefix XX (for example KA-01), complaint will be sent to one of the ten RTO offices in Bangalore and adjacent taluk areas.
Alternatively, one can also call these offices at the number given below based on the vehicle number prefix and directly lodge a complaint.
Vehicle Prefix (KA-XX) Bangalore location Phone number
* KA-01 Koramangala 080-25533525
* KA-02 Rajajinagar 080-23324104
* KA-03 Indiranagar 080-25254310
* KA-04 Yeshwantpur 080-23376039
* KA-05 Jayanagar 080-26630989
* KA-41 Gyanabharthi 080-28602833
* KA-50 Yelahanka 080-28561366
* KA-51 Electronic City 080-25735522
* KA-52 NeelaMangala 08234-285598
* KA-53 KR Puram 080-25617951

Once the complaint is received at the corresponding office, a notice is issued to the address of the vehicle's registered owner, requiring him/her to turn up at the RTO office within 7 working days. Every RTO has about 10 IMV's (Inspector of Motor Vehicles) who seize the vehicles which don't report to the RTO.

The penalty levied from the auto-waalas is rs.100 under section 200.

The various offences among others for which one can lodge a complaint

* Refusal to come to destination (Any destination! !!)
* Demanding excess fare
* Using rough language
* Cheat the public, for e.g. taking longer routes.
* Faulty Meter

There is also a helpline number - 080-22353785 available Monday - Saturday from 10:00 am - 5:30 pm on which one can call to lodge complaints.
The numbers speak for itself
I was shocked when I found that the Koramangala RTO office received only 5 complaints a month. With over 1,00,000 autos plying on Bangalore roads, shouldn't it be like 5 complaints a minute ?

What's wrong with the system ?
* Lack of Awareness among the Bangalore citizens
* The system is inefficient in data gathering- emails or phone calls cannot be stored and processed properly, leading to ineffective use of these complaint data.
* Converting these complaints into notices issued to vehicle owners is still a manual process
* Limited government officials to handle

So, will our impatience always have to take a backseat? Can something be done to improve/compliment the system to make it more effective ? Will we get a better platform to raise our voices democratically?

Last edited by aqualeo2040 : 25th June 2010 at 14:37.
Old 25th June 2010, 15:38   #1590
BHPian

I didn't know of this system or i would have launched a lot of complaints by now. Auto drivers in Bangalore are among the worst in India and i have stopped using them completely. There are very few auto drivers who don't ask more than the meter charge. I think if you are traveling a reasonable distance, Meru cabs work out to be cheaper and their drivers are much better behaved.
The only way to teach these unruly auto drivers a lesson is to stop using them when they refuse to use the meter or ask money more than the meter charge. Take a bus or a taxi instead.

Most Viewed