Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2018, 22:40   #15916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
You are referring to 'Sanjay Giri Skywalk'.
Yes the same, I too am following the progress through Bellandur forum FB page.

Along with this, I hope they build atleast two more skywalks, one near JP Morgan, Prestige tech park and another towards Innovative theater.

Also, got this on WhatsApp from a friend today, they had invited tender for this secition in Feb or so, don't know of any progress after this .

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20180802wa0011.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:10   #15917
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been a naughty boy the past month with encounters of the law.. not in the way you would've begun to imagine though.

- Police motorcycle parked bang in the middle of the road with the cop shooting the breeze with a resident on safety, I got out of the car and asked as to why his motorcycle has to be exactly on the middle of the road.. he became aggressive and asked me to go around it (probably feeling careless since the road was residential), I insisted again that he move the bike as it inconveniences citizens no matter how few and got back in the car and moved only after he moved it 2 mins later (I can see he did it grudgingly).

- Police Ertiga parked occupying 2/3rds of the road at the end where many vehicles take a turn inwards or outwards.. I honked only to receive an angry stare.. I replied asking what are you staring at me in anger for? I'm only trying to go my way and you're blocking it.. I rolled up the windows and again honked.. he reversed grudgingly, its important to keep in mind that they were parked so badly that every vehicle had a difficult time navigating around the Ertiga.

Boy am I asking for it . No problem, exercising my rights and ensuring that the bloated cops have their ego in check is my pleasure. Should they nail me in future for an invalid reason I'll find my way out of that too.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:54   #15918
Distinguished - BHPian

Mob justice? Lynching.....?

If this is what we have been discussing from the last 2 days, here is what happened yesterday morning when I was headed to drop my kid to school.

As I was about to turn right onto Doddaballapura Road in Yelahanka, I noticed a Brown Ciaz blocking the empty sand lorry and he owner of the car gesturing to the truck driver. As soon as I turn right, I also notice biker duo parking their bike beside the truck and rushing towards the driver's cabin of the truck, and literally trying to pull the driver down, by pulling him by his clothes (you can notice this).

The driver seemed like an old man (nearing or in his 60s). He gets down only to get thrashed quite badly by the biker duo and I could hear the biker yell at the driver "Katthe vayassu aagidiyallo, just missu naavu kano just missu" (Translates to "You seem to be aged up to donkey years and we just had a near miss").

Towards the end of the video you can see how physical the bikers got and began thrashing that driver mercilessly.

OK - The driver for sure would be at fault, as 2 other parties including the car driver had also blocked that truck but what happened next was something that ruined my day.

I had only pulled over slightly to see if there was any major damage to the Ciaz the way he had blocked but I didn't realise that my kid seated in front (& Belted properly on a booster seat before we go OT) would start crying so badly saying ' I don't like seeing all this paapa' and when I then explained her that he could have been thrashed as he may have almost killed someone due to bad driving she only had one question :

'But he is an old man, how can they beat him like that, he didn't kill anyone right'

Took another 12-14 minutes from here to reach her school but certainly the mood wasn't right. I knew for sure that she will still have questions when I pick her up back post noon and her first question was 'Did the police put them (bikers) in Jail', since I had in the morning told her that I could see police in my mirror and that they were going to put the bikers in jail.

So I had a ready-made (a lie) response to mitigate any questions - I said the bikers were taken by cops to jail and I showed the police the video from the camera that they were beating up the old man. She instantly felt happy because for a kid, an old man getting beaten up helplessly is inhuman and not trying to figure out what wrong he did to have invited such a trouble for himself.

And incidentally, today on the way to school, we witnessed the aftermath of an accident (Reported here) involving a school bus and I immediately told my kid to close her eyes as I expected some kids to be in the bus since 2 ambulances were already parked there in front of the bus. Thankfully it appeared like there were no kids in that bus.

Last edited by paragsachania : 3rd August 2018 at 09:58.
paragsachania is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:00   #15919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Today ORR was hell.
I can't figure out traffic patterns on this road at all. Usually after a couple of months, some pattern emerges, say 'between 8am and 1030 this stretch will be jammed, rush hour', 'when it rains, avoid the hour immediately after it stops', 'school/company vehicles pour out at this time', or 'thursday mornings are bad at this hour', 'friday late evenings are a breeze'.

But after nearly a year here, I still can't predict traffic patterns here. One morning the commute will be easy(ier) at 8am, the very next morning it will be jammed even earlier. One day it will be backed up at 6pm (which is kinda expected), but the very next day I'll glide through at the same time. Apart from the very obvious before-7am and after-9pm, I really wonder if this area sees free flowing traffic on a predictable basis at all.

The blessed internal road through EcoWorld has it's own blessed traffic pattern, thanks to the various exits and entrances to the ivory-I mean-glass towers where we work. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes to navigate that 1.5km stretch and then just 20mins more to breeze through the remaining 8.5km home. Sometimes it's the reverse, the inner road will be free and there will be a jam waiting the rest of the way!

I was waiting under a flyover yesterday morning, when I saw a senior cop talking to a traffic constable a few feet away from me. He was cursing 'whichever genius designed the bus stops on this road, placing them exactly where flyovers began'. I caught his eye and both of us started laughing. This road is a pain for everyone except the property builders and head honchos of IT companies who made/saved crores moving here. And they of course get chauffeur driven everywhere.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd August 2018 at 12:08.
Old 3rd August 2018, 13:35   #15920
Senior - BHPian

Somewhere between:

Quote:
'But he is an old man, how can they beat him like that, he didn't kill anyone right'
and:

Quote:
(Translates to "You seem to be aged up to donkey years and we just had a near miss").
Innocence gives way to arrogance.
binand is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:17   #15921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I can't figure out traffic patterns on this road at all. Usually after a couple of months, some pattern emerges, say 'between 8am and 1030 this stretch will be jammed, rush hour', 'when it rains, avoid the hour immediately after it stops', 'school/company vehicles pour out at this time', or 'thursday mornings are bad at this hour', 'friday late evenings are a breeze'.
This is Bangalore traffic. Unpredictable at best. In all other cities that I have seen, the traffic is predictable. After a few days you instinctively know the pattern and can accurately predict the ETA. Here, It's anyone's guess where you will be stuck. I drop my kids off every morning and leave home at 0745. I variably reach between 0800-0830 for a distance of 6 kms. Somedays It's a herd of cattle, a broken down BMTC bus/ Truck, 2-wheelers having a chat in the middle of the road, Or I get lucky. Even Google Maps gets confused with Bangalore traffic. The reason has a bad reputation for traffic compared to even busier gridlocks is the unpredictability.
@paragsachania: I feel for you man. I hate it when my children are witness to road rage. And especially when everyone in Bangalore seems to be interested in the opposite party's Mother/ Sister/ Grandmother.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 12:09   #15922
BHPian

I got a WhatsApp message that tenders for Metro work along ORR have been finalized and L&T is going to lead the construction, the barricading and digging will start from end of Aug/ early Sep.

Most tech park entries will have extended construction due to planned Metro stations.

Interesting times ahead for people who traverse ORR, I do Sarjapur Road to Manyata techpark
Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 13:35   #15923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
I got a WhatsApp message that tenders for Metro work along ORR have been finalized and L&T is going to lead the construction, the barricading and digging will start from end of Aug/ early Sep.
Full text here:

Quote:
Expect some more time to office, flexible times, WFHs and even leaves from This Month.

Outer Ring Road Companies Association(ORRCA) meeting held today. Summary:

1. Tenders for Metro work along the outer ring road(ORR) have been finalized and Larson& Toubro(L&T) a leading construction company has been awarded this work.

2. L&T is likely to commence Metro work i.e. barricading & digging etc. by end of Aug or early September 2018.

3. Metro stations in front of major tech parks including Ecospace are part of the plan.

4. To decongest the traffic on main carriage improvement of 14 arterial roads is likely to commence by October/ November 2018 as tendering process for same is on and work will commence after the rainy season is over.

Keeping the above in view we anticiapte considerable traffic jams and slow traffic movement all along the ORR.

ORRCA has identified various hurdles/ challenges and is working to help easen the traffic movement as best as possible.

A coordination committee dedicated to interact with various Government agencies, L&T construction team and law enforcement etc. is being formed which will focus on priortization of work to be taken by L&T i.e. construction of pillers and stations etc. especially in front of the tech parks.
Also in the news, regarding the sub-contracting of electrical and signalling systems:
Quote:
The Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (BMRCL) has set August 28 as the deadline for submission of the bids. The successful bidder will get 78 weeks to complete the task.
Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/city/bm...rr-685621.html

Last edited by silversteed : 6th August 2018 at 13:40.
Old 6th August 2018, 14:08   #15924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
I too got this; but was skeptical because (a) it is a WA forward, and (b) as per this report, L&T is not even a bidder:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/64379834.cms
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 15:45   #15925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I too got this; but was skeptical because (a) it is a WA forward, and (b) as per this report, L&T is not even a bidder:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/64379834.cms
Yeah, I was really surprised too, was tracking the process of the ORR metro on another forum and until recently the status was just that the tenders had been floated and in fact I think the last date for bid is end-Aug, so this looks like another fake forward.

Last few of days, have noticed traffic cops at various points on the service road around the Bellandur area. They've been cracking down on vehicles going the wrong way on the service roads and it has certainly eased traffic flow. Goes to show that if the rules are followed, we can manage with the roads we have.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 16:20   #15926
BHPian

Got this message as a FORWARD in one of my office whatsapp groups. If this is true, then expect lot of pain till the construction completes.

---Expect some more time to office from This Month.

1. Tenders for Metro work along the outer ring road(ORR) have been finalized and Larson& Toubro(L&T) a leading construction company has been awarded this work.

2. L&T is likely to commence Metro work i.e. barricading & digging etc. by end of Aug or early September 2018.

3. Metro stations in front of major tech parks including Ecospace are part of the plan.

4. To decongest the traffic on main carriage improvement of 14 arterial roads is likely to commence by October/ November 2018 as tendering process for same is on and work will commence after the rainy season is over.

Keeping the above in view we anticiapte considerable traffic jams and slow traffic movement all along the ORR.

ORRCA has identified various hurdles/ challenges and is working to help easen the traffic movement as best as possible.

A coordination committee dedicated to interact with various Government agencies, L&T construction team and law enforcement etc. is being formed which will focus on priortization of work to be taken by L&T i.e. construction of pillers and stations etc. especially in front of the tech parks.
Old 7th August 2018, 16:27   #15927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Got this message as a FORWARD in one of my office whatsapp groups. If this is true, then expect lot of pain till the construction completes.

---Expect some more time to office from This Month.

you should have seen yesterday's post before posting the same post again. couple of discussions also happened about the legitimacy of that post, so I just wonder how you missed them?
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 16:33   #15928
Team-BHP Support

The commute from Egipura to Sony world both sides have become horrible. Solid 30 minutes added to my office commute, after the work on the elevated flyover went full on since this Monday. The pillar work has blocked half of Inner Ring Road, this inturn creates a domino effect with blocks around the whole area.

Best to avoid travelling to Koramangala area if you can, especially during peak hours!
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 17:32   #15929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The commute from Egipura to Sony world.........Best to avoid travelling to Koramangala area if you can, especially during peak hours!
I saw this on sunday and while there was relatively very less traffic, I was horrified to imagine how it would be on a weekday, during peak hours (do we have peak hours in Bangalore at all? - all hours are peak almost)
I only hope they also fastrack the construction and complete the work too! Inner Ring road is too important a link to many business and office areas.
Old 7th August 2018, 17:52   #15930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Inner Ring road is too important a link to many business and office areas.
Some trivia: Before the EGL and before there was an Inner Ring Road itself, all that was defense land, some private farmland, and a brick kiln. As kids we used to sneak in with our cycles, cycle around and watch the planes take off and land till the army guys would catch us and chase us away.

And now there is going to be an elevated road there. The pace of change this city has seen is crazy.

Last edited by am1m : 7th August 2018 at 17:54.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks