Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2018, 19:05   #15991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Am sure most of the guys would have seen this. But posting for others.

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2018 at 15:07. Reason: Restoring post, but not the last line :)
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 10:30   #15992
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using Yulu bicycles for last mile connectivity ? How's the overall feedback ? I see a lot of complaints on google playstore with the app - problems with unlocking bikes and detecting Yulu zones during drop off. I've seen some bicycles outside my office which is a drop zone and was planning to use it occasionally.
Old 19th August 2018, 11:09   #15993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
This has a effect on hiring as well.
Candidates are refusing good offers from companies located on ORR fearing the traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Ecospace is a prime example. Have had outstation candidates ask if we're located anywhere in the vicinity.
This is actually good to hear. Can't expect the government to do anything about the situation and cannot expect the IT company top guys to care either as long as they are saving money. Till it begins affecting the company's bottom-line, they will not implement common-sense measures like relocating close to a metro station, implementing work-from-home policies on a large scale, etc. I don't think they really care about employee health or productivity either. More than 90% of my company's employees in the Bangalore office leave by 3:30PM to catch their cabs back home. Most of them miss the morning cab, arrive at work by Uber or Ola and then catch the office cab back. And the reason given for moving to the ORR was to 'have a larger office space to promote in-office collaboration!' Of course there's lots of collaboration going on between the 10-15 of us who use our own transport, and play cricket in the empty corridors after most employees have left!

So if hiring does start becoming an issue due to commute times, things will change.

Last edited by am1m : 19th August 2018 at 11:16.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 08:49   #15994
Senior - BHPian

Avoid the service lane at St John's hospital. Stuck in this lane for the past 30mins. Glacial speed traffic in this lane.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 13:04   #15995
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

After being troubled by cabbies trespassing into our home by opening the gate to reverse their cars, we had to get an additional locking mechanism added to the gate so that only half the gate would remain open with the lock in place.

This solves the problem of letting just the humans (hopefully) in while blocking out cars.

I'm still trying to come to terms with how people can just open someone's gate (without permission) to reverse their cars, and if questioned they are rude and aggressive. God save us!
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 16:06   #15996
Senior - BHPian

Some footage floating around in a FB video of a traffic cop manhandling a youngster near JP Nagar 14th Main Road. Keeps dragging him by the collar.

https://www.facebook.com/623224756/p...6520852199757/
Old 20th August 2018, 16:29   #15997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Am sure most of the guys would have seen this. But posting for others.
So, basically, stop vehicles, punch the life out of each other to de-stress, once tired, stop, resume as if nothing happened? Sad though the incident is, I almost smiled the way it started and ended. Also, the apathy of the people nearby. No one really tried to intervene!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th August 2018 at 16:48. Reason: Removed video from quote
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 16:37   #15998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
No one really tried to intervene!
On the other hand, in this one passers by did intervene it seems:

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/65416794.cms

Only because it had one of the official-looking number plates?
Old 20th August 2018, 18:04   #15999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
This has a effect on hiring as well.
Candidates are refusing good offers from companies located on ORR fearing the traffic.
How true this is! I recently torpedoe'd an interview for a plum role the moment I came to know it's in Bangalore. I don't know ORR from Kempegowda, for all I know of Bangalore; all I know is that Bangalore traffic sucks life out of its commuters. Phew!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 19:09   #16000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
How true this is! I recently torpedoe'd an interview for a plum role the moment I came to know it's in Bangalore. I don't know ORR from Kempegowda, for all I know of Bangalore; all I know is that Bangalore traffic sucks life out of its commuters. Phew!
This includes me. I did get calls with better position, project and/or CTC. But I blatantly refused for two reasons - Family and 'Bangalore'. I can't imaging myself spending 2 hours to cover 10Km twice a day. I already do that once a day for my return commute from work (cover 12 Km in 90 mins) but only because I don't have any other option. I work in EMEA shift just to avoid the same suffering for once everyday.

Last edited by sunilch : 20th August 2018 at 19:22.
sunilch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 21:55   #16001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
This includes me. I did get calls with better position, project and/or CTC. But I blatantly refused for two reasons - Family and 'Bangalore'. I can't imaging myself spending 2 hours to cover 10Km twice a day. I already do that once a day for my return commute from work (cover 12 Km in 90 mins) but only because I don't have any other option. I work in EMEA shift just to avoid the same suffering for once everyday.
Yeah, work productivity takes a hit. Even families are torn apart by the traffic; there is this travelogue by a Bhpian of his family's roadtrip and he mentioned having to pick his daughter up from her hostel. Where does she live? Just 20 km away from home, but it takes 4 hours to cover that distance it seems I cover 40 km up and down daily in Chennai and I only spend 1 hour in total on the road.

Not to make light of another man's misfortunes, but, unh unh! No Bangalore for me.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 09:57   #16002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How true this is! I recently torpedoe'd an interview for a plum role the moment I came to know it's in Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
This includes me. I did get calls with better position, project and/or CTC. But I blatantly refused for two reasons - Family and 'Bangalore'.
Quote:
Yeah, work productivity takes a hit. Even families are torn apart by the traffic;
Sensible decision guys. I hope you mentioned the reason for not accepting the offer to the companies concerned. Companies need to take note of the fact that they're losing out on talent because of their idiotic decisions to move to this accursed ORR space or for not putting widespread work-from-home policies in place. Frankly, in my 16 years in the IT industry, I really can't think of a good reason why most of us can't get our work done effectively from anywhere, instead of sitting in a glass building!

There are any number of better things that can be done rather than sitting in traffic for 2 hours a day. I worked in Hyderabad for a year and since I had the luxury of rented accommodation, I chose a place 10 mins away from work. What a difference that made to my quality of life!
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 12:17   #16003
Senior - BHPian

People using the ORR brace for snarls as BBMP is planning to start whitetopping. This whitetopping is restricted to two corridors, from Hebbal junction to Hennur road junction (left side) and Summanahalli flyover to Nayandanahalli flyover (left side) . Work is planned to begin from Aug 27.

According to this article in TOI, the work on Hebbal corridor will be completed by Nov 11 and the work on the Summanahalli flyover will be completed by Oct 26. Traffic will be diverted to service roads until the work will be completed.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 13:03   #16004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
After being troubled by cabbies trespassing into our home by opening the gate to reverse their cars, we had to get an additional locking mechanism added to the gate so that only half the gate would remain open with the lock in place.

This solves the problem of letting just the humans (hopefully) in while blocking out cars.

I'm still trying to come to terms with how people can just open someone's gate (without permission) to reverse their cars, and if questioned they are rude and aggressive. God save us!
Woah, i am hearing something like this for the first time. Can you post some pics on how exactly the cabbies were misusing your private property?
Old 21st August 2018, 22:07   #16005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Trust me, with these cabbies you gotta define your boundaries and limits with an iron hand, else they might even open your gate and roost inside the parking premises while waiting for a passenger.

Pretty shocking to hear it happen in real though.. to actually open a gate, reverse and come inside and reverse their way out. If I had seen that I'd just have rushed out with a stick or roller pin. I've ensure that they don't park in front of my gate using various means like large rectangular pots and if necessary, a teflon tape tied between both ends of the pots. I've had ugly encounters with a couple of them too, one who almost grazed my car and would've if I hadn't run and banged the car backside numerous times to catch his attention. None of them had that much of a cheek to open the gate though.. all societal niceties and etiquette shall be adhered to as long as people don't violate the boundaries of home.. if and when they do they should expect nothing less than outright hostility.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks