Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2018, 19:19   #16111
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I think as matured and educated audience who is always flexible and agile, we must start accepting the fact that wrong side driving/riding is a fundamental need than a violation of law.

C'mon guys, I have now stopped cribbing about it because I see this every day, and so many on the same set of roads that I take to drop my kid to school.

The whole point here is the level of casualness (and carelessness) which motorists exhibit while taking the wrong side of the road, so much so that you who are at the right side of the road are left to wonder if is you who is at the center of all the action and they are watching you!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-doddaballapur-road-3.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kodigehalli-05.jpg

And then, a set of these buses belonging to a very prominent school in North Bangalore that has sub-contracted the transportation to BMTC happily take the wrong side of the road each morning, at times even completely blocking the traffic moving in the designated (Legally) correct direction:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-doddaballapur-road-1.jpg

Few scenes captured in the last 3 days alone:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-doddaballapur-road-2.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-doddaballapur-road-4.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-doddaballapur-road-5.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-doddaballapur-road-6.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kodigehalli-011.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kodigehalli-01.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kodigehalli-02.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kodigehalli-03.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kodigehalli-04.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kodigehalli-06.jpg

To be very honest, wrong side driving/riding in Bangalore is now on an extremely higher degree that no one including the cops care. I earlier used to ridicule the casual behavior of other cities I have driven all over the country and say Bangalore has really been the better cities (along with Mumbai)when it comes to following traffic rules but not anymore!

It is time we launch an online signature campaign and place a request to the RTO......To include Wrong side driving/Riding as one of the tests before approving licence.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th September 2018 at 19:21.
paragsachania is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 19:29   #16112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I think as matured and educated audience who is always flexible and agile, we must start accepting the fact that wrong side driving/riding is a fundamental need than a violation of law.

It is time we launch an online signature campaign and place a request to the RTO......To include Wrong side driving/Riding as one of the tests before approving licence.

I have stopped trying to scold these people, block them etc. I sound like an idiot in the crowd, and I am also putting my own safety at risk. I just pray that someday these people will learn.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 19:31   #16113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The whole point here is the level of casualness (and carelessness) which motorists exhibit while taking the wrong side of the road, so much so that you who are at the right side of the road are left to wonder if is you who is at the center of all the action and they are watching you!
Absolutely! There was a time when people going the wrong way would at least go slow and stop frequently to give way to those going the correct way. Now, more often than not, they rip down the wrong way, flashing their lights and keeping their finger on the horn! Drastic measures and correction is required here in Bangalore.

Quote:
We can do one better, there's already a thread going on how the Pune cops are using a section of the IPC to charge sheet wrong side driving/riding, with possibilities of even jail time. I hope the same action is taken all over the country.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 19:31   #16114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

I have stopped trying to scold these people, block them etc. I sound like an idiot in the crowd, and I am also putting my own safety at risk. I just pray that someday these people will learn.
Yes indeed. I too realised that if I started to do that, I may need an extra 30 minutes to do a commute that otherwise takes 15 minutes. Not just that, I may need to use a lot of tissues to wipe my sweaty hands, after I lose my cool and increase my Blood Pressure confronting each of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
they rip down the wrong way, flashing their lights and keeping their finger on the horn!
The one in bold is the licence to do anything on roads. The argument will always be - Light haakilvaa!! (Haven't I turned my lights on!!). Can't say anything more to beat their logic then!

Quote:
We can do one better, there's already a thread going on how the Pune cops are using a section of the IPC to charge sheet wrong side driving/riding, with possibilities of even jail time. I hope the same action is taken all over the country.
As someone who frequents Pune quite regularly, I was happy that it had to start here. This is one city where lawlessness on road has been really bad, especially wrong side driving since more than a decade. I was keenly following that thread and even reading feeds about it on my phone.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th September 2018 at 19:36.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 19:50   #16115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it too much to expect a change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Before we are insensitized into accepting disorder, we can change the goal post. Officially turn our roads like this,

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dividedhighway.jpg
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 20:02   #16116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
We have adapted to the change . The ask is to make it legal, so we have less posts on this thread and don't crib.
Old 20th September 2018, 06:04   #16117
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks in namma Bengaluru!

Kindly delay your alignment and balancing tasks till tomorrow.

Karnataka HC asks BBMP to ensure pothole-free Bengaluru by Thursday
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 07:38   #16118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ah, the Kodigehalli gate junction! I have trained myself not to let my blood boil when I encounter these morons there everyday. After all, whats the use? As you said, eventually after the heated exchanges, I move off wondering whether I was at the right side of the road or they.
Sadly, I see so many parents on 2wheelers dropping their kids do this. What are we training the kids? And how do you expect the coming generation to correct this when they are are given to understand by their very own loved ones that all this wrong side driving is perfectly alright to save some seconds.
sandsun7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 08:52   #16119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
yes that's why I use paytm, card, fastag, NICE-epay

Quote:
Before we are insensitized into accepting disorder, we can change the goal post. Officially turn our roads like this,
It is already like that isn't it? Assuming that is made official, the following is what will happen with that setup.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 09:35   #16120
Distinguished - BHPian

Crack on Hebbal flyover arm.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/mi...rm-693560.html

Quote:
A minor crack on the Hebbal flyover that links the city to north Bengaluru and the airport, could result in a traffic nightmare as authorities are considering diverting vehicles on the key link. The flyover has developed problems with its expansion which are meant to absorb shocks and expansions and contractions.

Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) officials, traffic police, consultants and experts rushed to the site on Wednesday morning to take stock of the situation. They were informed about the problem at 11 pm on Tuesday by the traffic police. The problem is on the arm leading towards Hennur from the airport. Motorists plying on the stretch feel a thud and vibrations.
Edit : Surprised motorists felt the thud and vibrations considering that the speeds never exceed crawling speeds on this 'fly'over. Guess the main city - airport arm was still crawling even at 11 pm, so the vibrations were felt only on the side arm

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 20th September 2018 at 09:41.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 09:54   #16121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Surprised motorists felt the thud and vibrations considering that the speeds never exceed crawling speeds on this 'fly'over. Guess the main city - airport arm was still crawling even at 11 pm, so the vibrations were felt only on the side arm
That Esteem Mall to Manyata left turn has always had a couple (out of a total of 6 I think) expansion joints which irritated me when driving on it. Now suddenly everyone is worked up that the pipelines underneath are clogged, no maintenance has been done etc etc.

Newspaper reports are notoriously unreliable (especially for hyper-local news) but looks like the Manyata traffic will be badly hit if they block part /whole of that left turn. Of course the spillover will affect ALL traffic heading into BLR due to our legendary indiscipline!

Last edited by itwasntme : 20th September 2018 at 09:57.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 12:08   #16122
Distinguished - BHPian

There seems to be fix potholes drive ongoing at Bellandur & HSR layout. No, this is not related to the HC judgement mentioned above, since I have noticed this ongoing since past 2 weeks or so.

As usual, it is the non potholed / less troublesome locations which has been 'fixed'. Major damages has been left the same way, still a welcome respite.

Seeing the road work, you may get confused that election is just around the corner.

In another news, foot over bridge near Bellandur / Citrus hotel / Shell bunk is getting done in good speed. Hope its opened in couple of weeks.
mpksuhas is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 12:43   #16123
BHPian

The Carmelaram - Doddakanneli road is in a bad shape!! The digging of the roads happened 8 months ago or before. Roads not relaid and the stretch is full of dust storm!! Some "Genius" in BBMP or the relevant authority thought that a temporary fix of filling the roads with concrete dust or waste sand, will help the public!! Bu you know the truth!!

Hope this stretch is fixed soon!
Old 20th September 2018, 13:18   #16124
BHPian

Has anybody raised tickets on BBMP Sahaya website or had any success?

I placed several complaints about terrible road conditions around my place. I also uploaded photos for evidence. The tickets were created. I got SMS's with the ticket numbers mentioned. I also received updates when the tasks were assigned to a contractor. But lo! they were resolved and closed after a couple of weeks. Every single one of them!

The question is where do you guys lodge such complaints? I am wondering if I am doing it at the right place. Or worse yet, is it that BBMP simply don't care?

Last edited by strawhat : 20th September 2018 at 13:19.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 18:52   #16125
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if this has been discussed before but has anyone considered the fact that flyovers like the BETL for example aren't made to handle stationary traffic? Are they built to handle loads of hundreds of cars, buses and 2-wheelers standing still? I've always worried about that when stuck in the BETL. Scary thought?

Most Viewed