Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2018, 08:23   #16141
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Folks, need some help. Our office recently shifted to Embassy Tech Village. I travel from malleswaram so it is a nightmare for me now. I have tried Metro + Bus or Quickride in the morning. But return journey is taking too long, > 2 hours. I know there are some good suburban trains from Bellandur and Carmenlaram but getting to these stations in the evening is proving to be difficult. Tried Ola, Uber but no luck. Are there any car, auto or bike pooling services available from Embassy tech village to any one of these stations?

I really need to start looking at suburban trains in the evening. Morning i will manage with Metro + Volvo or Quickride.
Your best bet might be YULU/PEDL
Old 21st September 2018, 09:21   #16142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Your best bet might be YULU/PEDL
Thanks. How is their availablity? Have you used any of them?
Old 21st September 2018, 10:37   #16143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
Depends on the time of the day. Three major options as shown below but normally during peak hours, one can take Hosa road or Haralur road. But the roads are not good and traffic is unpredictable. Spoilt for choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Wipro offices. Think the area is Doddakannelli
I think the Wipro office being referred to is the new one near Decathlon/Kodathi on Sarjapur Road. This one is stated to start move ins from end of year and from what I heard, all of Wipro's EC operations will shift here. The best bet would be the route highlighted below (or slight variations of the same). These roads were recently laid and although not very wide, would be an easy drive. Of course, once lot of people from EC start coming towards this office, situation may change.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-wiproroute.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Thanks. How is their availablity? Have you used any of them?
Have seen plenty of Yulu cycles all over the place. They have hubs in most of the tech parks on ORR. So should not be difficult to get one. Belandur station also typically has lot of Yulu's.

I guess your best bet would be to take the Karaikal-Bangalore Passenger from Belandur at ~6-6.30PM, get down in Byappanahalli and take the Metro. The next alternative is the Hosur-Yeswantpur passenger @~6.45-7, but will not go via Byapanahalli, so will need to go to Yeswantpur and take Metro
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 11:17   #16144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
While I would not argue with the points you made, it definitely will feel offensive for a large number of regular bikers (me included)-especially on this forum, who try not do all this funny stuff and abide by the rules as much as possible.

Also, the bike vs car, cab vs white boards, bmtc vs the rest all trigger a lot of debates and hence the general guideline of this thread is not to discriminate against any particular type of vehicles.
Yea, even I did not wish to write something like that for long, and have mentioned too, that it is not really limited to the bikers (even, I also ride bikes sometimes and feel like a fool for not doing things most of them do). However, lately, some of these road behaviors are getting really difficult to ignore. When I yield for them, I am sure many of them feel like, they have been successful to grab the lane/space away for themselves from another motorist.
Old 21st September 2018, 11:24   #16145
Distinguished - BHPian

Depending on the traffic, I sometimes ride to work and sometimes take the car.

When I'm riding, I curse the cars and to me it seems like they're all elderly, slow-moving road-hogs.

When I'm driving, I curse the bikes and to me they seem like rash, suicidal teenagers.

But of course, I'm neither of those!

Whoever came up with this got it bang on - "you're not stuck in traffic mate, you ARE the traffic!"

Last edited by am1m : 21st September 2018 at 11:26.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 11:38   #16146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I too think about the same while ending up as one of the numerous commuters who gets stuck on any of the ORR flyovers.

You can feel the bridge shaking most times.
Bridge shaking is normal. Its flexing. RCC has some flexibility. Up to some limit of course. Even in the US I have experienced overpass flexing in slow-moving traffic.

I too have wondered about this. Its not just BETL. Even on flyovers on the ORR, the 3 lanes sometimes becomes 4 lanes in stalled traffic with bumper to bumper traffic. Is the bridge designed to handle this load? God knows!
Old 21st September 2018, 12:00   #16147
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a rant, but saw a notice in the newspaper today that toll will start from 22 Sep on the SH 9 from Yelahanka to AP Border. I think this is the Yelahanka-Dodballapur-Gaurabidanur road, but could not understand where exactly the toll will come up.

Cross linking my post in the Mega road updates thread - here (The mega "Road Updates" thread)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 12:07   #16148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
where exactly the toll will come up.
One location where the booths are nearly done is between Yelahanka and Doddaballapura, few kms before Doddaballapura.

I guess the second one shall be somewhere beyond Gouribidanur as you say and near Hindupur?

Last edited by navin : 21st September 2018 at 16:02. Reason: typo
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 14:43   #16149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
One location where the boots are nearly done is between Yelahanka and Doddaballapura, few kms before Doddaballapura.

I guess the second one shall be somewhere beyond Gouribidanur as you say and near Hindupur?
This first one is exactly 14.5 Km after Yelahanka Police Station & 11.5 Km before the NH648 junction.

https://goo.gl/maps/XpXuDk3K9Zw

There will be a lot of clamour for a liberal 'local pass' scheme as a vast number of users are localites travelling daily to BLR
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 11:19   #16150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
As it is a thread about Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation, I hope, it won't be an off topic, if I rant a bit about my plight being a participant in the Bangalore's traffic as a car user.
Spot on questions sir. Bikers who know have made a mistake and end up asking is anything broken , they react violently when a four wheeler closes up to them and scares many of them so much so that they dismount and start a verbal abuse fest. I wonder what they would do if someone would ask if something is broken. I am waiting for a biker to admit that his ego is hurt and wounded just by the fact that he was a little worried there might be an impact.

I have been driving a four wheeler here for more than 6 years now and I have gained tremendous patience. Your vehicle size earns you respect. So if you are a hatch / sedan guy like many of us then you are one to be abused most by errant and rash bikers. If its a proper big SuV you never know if a bruiser steps out so confrontation is avoided here. If you are an imported sedan / SUV here too confrontation might be risky as some "influential" might step out and then argument for the sake of it might be a tough spot. If you are an out state registered sedan driver then well you are going to have trouble unless you keep low key.

Last edited by ampere : 24th September 2018 at 15:30. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 24th September 2018, 12:52   #16151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Yea, even I did not wish to write something like that for long, and have mentioned too, that it is not really limited to the bikers (even, I also ride bikes sometimes and feel like a fool for not doing things most of them do). However, lately, some of these road behaviors are getting really difficult to ignore. When I yield for them, I am sure many of them feel like, they have been successful to grab the lane/space away for themselves from another motorist.
I take my Access to work everyday and use my car on weekends when travelling with family. So being a rider and a driver allows one to see the problems faced with different perspectives.

1. Believe me - I have tried this experiment of following the traffic rules to hilt when on two wheeler. Most of the drivers in cars have not been appreciative of me doing that. Sandwiched between two cars and keeping myself to the left of the lane has always irritated the car behind me and after a while either I have been honked and waved at to go in opposite direction where all the other bikers are going or cars overtaking me from very close on the right side so that I get pushed to the extreme left almost making me hit the curb.
2. Thrice I have been rear ended by cars, when I stopped right on the stop line at traffic lights. The drivers assume I would not stop behind the line. I have been cursed by those stopping behind me as well as traffic cops (ಬನ್ನಿ ಸಾರ್ ಮುಂದೆ ಬನ್ನಿ - Come saar come forward) for stopping on line because I have left so much space unoccupied in front of me
3. When on bike and being the first at the traffic light, none have the patience to wait for the signal to go Green. The honking starts when the timer is still showing 10 seconds to Green. Do they assume as a biker I need not wait till the signal goes Green?

Alternatively, imagine a situation where all those on bike follow the lane discipline and start moving interspersed between cars and the massive traffic that builds up. What do you say?

Last edited by AltoLXI : 24th September 2018 at 12:58.
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 14:12   #16152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I take my Access to work everyday and use my car on weekends when travelling with family. So being a rider and a driver allows one to see the problems faced with different perspectives.
Hey, just like you, I am also a driver and a rider alternating between the two constantly.

There is a saying that if you cannot beat them, join them. If we alone decide to follow traffic rules to the 'T', we will either end up in a police station, or in a hospital or at the service center.

So what do we do so that we strike the right balance between following rules and still going with the flow?

Keep trying .
Old 25th September 2018, 07:29   #16153
Senior - BHPian

Tree has fallen in BTM ORR. The road between BTM 16th main Adwait petrol bunk to BTM 29th main AXA signal is blocked. Police are working in getting the tree moved. Might take another hour. Traffic has already backed up. Plan your travel accordingly.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 07:59   #16154
Distinguished - BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20180925075306_maps.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20180925_075530.jpg

NICE road Electronic city exit is Jammed. Reportedly some vehicle has toppled.

Reached office now with a 1 hour delay. This is the reason...

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20180925wa000501.jpeg

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th September 2018 at 09:02. Reason: As requested.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 09:16   #16155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Tree has fallen in BTM ORR. The road between BTM 16th main Adwait petrol bunk to BTM 29th main AXA signal is blocked. Police are working in getting the tree moved. Might take another hour. Traffic has already backed up. Plan your travel accordingly.
This is removed now and there is no blockage. However, the traffic flow is slower than usual(Usual means slow only )

I could cross the spot in 10 mins
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed