Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2018, 19:06   #16186
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
It appears like the business managing the NICE toll roads is not reinvesting the profits back into its core business.
You assume that the NICE road is their core business. I'd say that it sits only on the income side of their balance sheets.

Last edited by arunphilip : 30th September 2018 at 19:14.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 19:36   #16187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Echo that.
Was a regular user of NICE road (Kanakapura Road <-> EC) from it's launch until few weeks back when this mile long jam became a norm. Also the recent rains have brought back the pot holes hurriedly filled up earlier. Especially the stretch between Bannerghata and Kanakapura Road is quite scary with wide and long potholes.
I'm not sure if this will get resolved at all. But a horrible situation on a paid, private toll road.
I rode on the Nice road today after a couple of weeks and the rains seemed to have totally screwed it up. There were lot of wide and long potholes as you mentioned - enough to throw a bike off balance if you are going at a decent speed. Considering the toll rate - it is totally unacceptable.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 11:59   #16188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
You assume that the NICE road is their core business. I'd say that it sits only on the income side of their balance sheets.
Their other "core" business started off almost (or more) than a decade ago in the name of 'Hubli-Dharwad' Bypass.

A shame in the name of GQ as this is perhaps one of those limited sections on the entire GQ (barring one or two I saw in WB in 2013 & 14) which is still a single carriageway.

The cost we pay for this 30 km stretch is around 70 INR per car .

So may be this money was invested to build the walls around NICE Road when it was planned and still remain complacent that 2 lanes on each side will suffice the ever growing traffic of Bangalore that connects 2 major ends and sees humongous freight traffic and private traffic. Whoever thought then and signed that agreement for 4 lane road must be felicitated with great honor.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 19:05   #16189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Probably the cops did not even see what happened. As a rider myself, I have no pity on the bike guy and I think he deserved this. What business he had trying to squeeze between the two vehicles?
Actually it appears that the rider was trying to squeeze because of parellelax error. If you notice the distance from the kerb, the auto is moving right. I agree the rider is also at fault. My contention is not against these 2 idiots, but at the cops who cannot notice what is happening 20 Mts away. My frustration is from a similar incident 2 years back when a 2-wheeler with 3 helmet less riders came at high speed and hit me from behind, damaging my bumper, I was stopped to allow traffic to move from a side road by a cop standing 1 foot ahead of my car. The cop just waved those boys off and told me to scoot as I was blocking the traffic.
Old 2nd October 2018, 15:15   #16190
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently tried this route when returning from Sahakar Nagar side towards Baiyappanahalli. This isn't too much of a detour, has decent roads, less traffic and avoids the white topping zone on Outer Ring Road where work has commenced now (between BMTC depot and Lumbini gardens).
Link

*Used the Unilet store on Service Road, Sahakar Nagar and Baiyappanahalli Metro station as landmarks for source and destination respectively.

Last edited by NPV : 2nd October 2018 at 15:16.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:25   #16191
Senior - BHPian

Folks , need some information on BMTC bus timings. I stay on Bannerghatta road and I'm looking for a bus to Ecospace at 8-20 am. I've seen the following bus timings from my nearby bus stops - can someone confirm the timings please ? The BMTC website and app don't have accurate information, so would like to get some firsthand information

1. From Gottigere to ITPL : V-411GT . 8am start from Gottigere - is this correct ?

2. From Brigade Millenium to ITPL : V-500BM . 8-20 am start from Brigade Millenium - is this time correct ?

Would like to try out buses twice a week and my car on other days.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 2nd October 2018 at 17:26.
Old 2nd October 2018, 18:13   #16192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

1. From Gottigere to ITPL : V-411GT . 8am start from Gottigere - is this correct ?

2. From Brigade Millenium to ITPL : V-500BM . 8-20 am start from Brigade Millenium - is this time correct ?
Would be hard to confirm on their timings. But the volvo buses are certainly lot more reliable. Mostly when I use buses, I look for routes that potentially have high frequency or more bus options.

In this case, one work around would be to take a bus to central silk board (more options available). Then take another from CSB to final destination, for instance.

Although it makes life difficult, there have been times I've had to wait for buses for over 30-min!

My routes have changed now, but apart from these bus routes it might also help to look into ride-sharing. I find them more convenient these days most days.

On the days I don't drive, I mix-and-match various options - ride sharing (1st preference); metro + cab/ride-share (2nd preference); shared cab (3rd preference); Bus + others (last preference).
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 18:56   #16193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
On the days I don't drive, I mix-and-match various options - ride sharing (1st preference); metro + cab/ride-share (2nd preference); shared cab (3rd preference); Bus + others (last preference).
I occasionally use the V-500CB Volvo that starts from Arekere Mico Layout to ITPL at 7-30 am. The bus always starts on time. These days it takes an extra 15-20 mins due to the ongoing metro work on Bannerghatta Road and BTM.

I've seen that the Volvos are unbeatable in terms of ride quality - they just glide over anything. I've seen people using laptops , and there's a charging point at the bottom of every seat. They offer far more comfort and airiness than cars. That's one reason why I prefer them over quickride , another being reliability . I rarely use Ola/Uber share , and the metro isn't operational on my route.

And for the last mile connectivity , I've started using Yulu bicycles. My office is on Yemlur road that's a 4km ride from Bellandur/Ecospace. The Bellandur lake road always has a serpentine traffic jam in the mornings , takes about 40 minutes in a car , but about 20 minutes in a bicycle. I just whizzed past all the cars when I took a Yulu for the first time a few days ago.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 2nd October 2018 at 19:04.
sdp1975 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:16   #16194
BHPian

Does anyone know how to get those ORRCA/ ORR bus pass? Previously these buses were parked inside Ecospace, but not any longer. Checked with my company's transport department, as well as the security booth of Ecospace and Pritech, but all of them are clueless. The next best option for me is to find myself next to these buses at Silkboard and ask the driver!

Please note, i am not talking about the regular Volvo pass, rather the one where only ORR employees are allowed to board the bus.
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:52   #16195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Does anyone know how to get those ORRCA/ ORR bus pass? Previously these buses were parked inside Ecospace, but not any longer. Checked with my company's transport department, as well as the security booth of Ecospace and Pritech, but all of them are clueless. The next best option for me is to find myself next to these buses at Silkboard and ask the driver!

Please note, i am not talking about the regular Volvo pass, rather the one where only ORR employees are allowed to board the bus.
I think that these are run by the companies which are members of ORCCA. Intel supplied the bus passes and also allocated employees to bues to manage and monitor capacity
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:00   #16196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I think that these are run by the companies which are members of ORCCA. Intel supplied the bus passes and also allocated employees to bues to manage and monitor capacity
My employer is not a part of this. I was hoping I could purchase a pass, simply as my office is inside Ecospace. This is a bummer. I do understand that these passes are expensive, but I have to be in office 4 days a week, and spend a total of 3.5 - 4 hours each day in my commute. Was looking forward to a relatively empty Volvo to check mails/ sleep/ whatever...
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:30   #16197
BHPian

After a peaceful Gandhi Jayanthi - the traffic on ORR today is just the opposite (abnormally chaotic) Doddanekkundi junction jam is spilling over till KR Puram flyover and the situation below Doddanekkundi flyover is like KR Market on Sundays. There is no place to move, even for pedestrians.

God Save us!
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:32   #16198
BHPian

It took me 1:45 hrs to travel 5 kms today, from Agara jn to Ecospace, at 8:45 in the morning. Traffic was standstill

Any idea what was the reason? GMaps showed thick red/maroon, all the way till Kadubeesanahalli.
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:45   #16199
Team-BHP Support

The ORR crawl has reached HSR layout now, standstill traffic on the flyover.
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:07   #16200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
My employer is not a part of this. I was hoping I could purchase a pass, simply as my office is inside Ecospace. This is a bummer. I do understand that these passes are expensive, but I have to be in office 4 days a week, and spend a total of 3.5 - 4 hours each day in my commute. Was looking forward to a relatively empty Volvo to check mails/ sleep/ whatever...
Try contacting these folks - they handle the ORRCA passes and capacity management etc

http://rcntech.in
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks