Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 14:55   #16201
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Any idea what was the reason? GMaps showed thick red/maroon, all the way till Kadubeesanahalli.
It seems this was the issue -

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20181003wa0007.jpg

This is on service road of Kadubeesinahalli underpass.

Traffic pile up due to this was present till Haralur road Kudlu road junction.

Google map suggested me that it would be faster to walk 7 kms than driving .

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20181003090844.png
mpksuhas is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 08:25   #16202
BHPian

Traffic jam on Adugodi road - reason not known - time 7:30AM. Consider coming via Diary circle.

Adugodi road - lane from the cemetery towards Koramangala was blocked (near the storm water drain). And people had moved over to the other lane and there was a huge pile up, our office transport took a U turn at the Banerrughatta Junction and took an alternate route.
Old 4th October 2018, 11:46   #16203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
It seems this was the issue -

Attachment 1804540

This is on service road of Kadubeesinahalli underpass.
Traffic pile up due to this was present till Haralur road Kudlu road junction.
Was just thinking about this and it really scares me. One bus broke down on the service road of an underpass which is part of a 6 Lane Road with a 2 lane service road on both sides. Pretty much in no time, the jam due to this one breakdown extended all the way to HSR layout on ORR, Harlur Road on Sarjapur Road and I also heard it caused a block well into Ecoworld.

We regularly rant about ORR and its traffic and the causes for the same, but such an incident really brings out the gravity of the problem.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 12:13   #16204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
We regularly rant about ORR and its traffic and the causes for the same, but such an incident really brings out the gravity of the problem.
Imagine when the Metro work starts!

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/66064487.cms

But now I'm confused, I thought the Metro work was going to begin, but according to the news article above, the contract has not yet been finalized. (also, that news article looks like a puff piece for IL&FS).

Either way, when it does finally start, the commute is going to be an absolute disaster on the ORR stretch. Fortunately my manager is totally ok with my working from home. I think companies need to pro-actively provide for this policy.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 13:25   #16205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One bus broke down on the service road of an underpass which is part of a 6 Lane Road with a 2 lane service road on both sides.
In any sane country/city, the police would have backed up a tow truck and removed it within 30 minutes flat. Further damage to the broken down vehicle be damned.

Think of the extra pollution, fuel and total waste of precious productive man-hours lost due to 1 silly school bus
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 13:43   #16206
BHPian

Quote:

For some reason, the ORR traffic was real bad today too.
Since it is raining since morning, I am expecting the mother of all traffic jams tonight on the way back home
shatananda.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 10:56   #16207
Distinguished - BHPian

This, has become a norm now irrespective of the type of vehicle you drive. Basically, it means that you can occupy any space ahead of the Stop line and park in any direction.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20181002_162710.jpg

Na, that chap inside the bus wasn't looking at me. May be he was amused at the rest of us, thinking why we have left so much of space around the bus .
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 12:28   #16208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This, has become a norm now irrespective of the type of vehicle you drive. Basically, it means that you can occupy any space ahead of the Stop line and park in any direction.

Na, that chap inside the bus wasn't looking at me. May be he was amused at the rest of us, thinking why we have left so much of space around the bus .
Very true. If we do not cover-up that space, it is considered a sin and in all probability, people behind and around will try to nudge us ahead until they realize we are not going to budge.
deadguy25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 15:44   #16209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I assume in the time you waited, a swarm of vehicles would have magically appeared and covered the area in front and around the bus with the bus as the queen bee at the center, and you would have been left wondering -'Hey, I was the first at the signal and suddenly I am several lines back'
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 16:06   #16210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
'Hey, I was the first at the signal and suddenly I am several lines back'
This is what really gets to me every time. If you are the one following the traffic rules, or just plain traffic commonsense practices, you'll be the one who loses out. The cab driver who zooms ahead the wrong way manages to squeeze into the jam somewhere and gets ahead. The bike that zooms across the red light gets away. The idiot honking behind you even though he can see there's a jam in front of you will more often than not abuse you when you let him overtake.

What is it with these guys? Don't they see they contribute to the havoc?

What does one do? Ignore? Meditate? Abuse back? Break the rules too?

(I know the answer is 1 and 2, just ranting.)

I thought I had a funny, non-confrontational way of dealing with the continuous honking thing. I used to let the chap pass, and more often than not, I'd catch up with him at the next signal. Then (whenever I'm on the bike), I'd politely ask if all that honking made any difference since we ended up at the same signal anyway. Used to be that people would see the logic. Of late, I've noticed that people respond defensively or with hostility even - "It's my wish to honk" "What's your problem" "This is India" "You should open a driving school and educate us" "Shall I teach you a lesson" etc etc.

So I've just stopped.

Last edited by am1m : 5th October 2018 at 16:16.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 16:19   #16211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Probably the cops did not even see what happened. As a rider myself, I have no pity on the bike guy and I think he deserved this. What business he had trying to squeeze between the two vehicles?
I see such bikers every day. Here one of them carrying 4 clowns!!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-clown.jpg

Traffic has become so bad that I prefer to take a cab or a rick or sometimes just sit and home and work.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 18:44   #16212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the jam due to this one breakdown extended all the way to HSR layout on ORR, Harlur Road
Yes, traffic jam has extended to around 8KMs from the site of breakdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Imagine when the Metro work starts!
I guess a forward doing rounds last month was not a genuine one I guess. It had L&T mentioned as selected vendor, I don't think they were in bidding itself.
Old 5th October 2018, 18:57   #16213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1805202

Yelahanka Police station? I think you have read the situation wrongly. The bus driver, obviously a new one on the route, went in the left lane by mistake. Then he realized that he was blocking the free left lane and courteously moved ahead to block the other roads to allow the people behind him to take the left. BMTC and KSRTC have the most well behaved drivers who follow the traffic rules religiously.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 19:29   #16214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Yelahanka Police station? I think you have read the situation wrongly. The bus driver, obviously a new one on the route, went in the left lane by mistake. Then he realized that he was blocking the free left lane and courteously moved ahead to block the other roads to allow the people behind him to take the left. BMTC and KSRTC have the most well behaved drivers who follow the traffic rules religiously.
Not really. I take this route twice a day now to drop and pick my kid from school. So. I know how well behaved the bus drivers are .

Another day and another picture will help you.

There is nothing to read 'wrong' about some usual driving habits that I have been watching (and that is not from yesterday!).

Just that this time I had stopped right at the White line and could click this.

Last edited by paragsachania : 5th October 2018 at 19:31.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 20:25   #16215
BHPian

Quote:
Not really. I take this route twice a day now to drop and pick my kid from school. So. I know how well behaved the bus drivers are .
I believe wildsdi5530's post is in sarcasm, based on some of the phrases used. He isn't contradicting your observation.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks