Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2018, 21:00   #16216
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

People traveling from outer ring road from sarjapur side towards silkboard please avoid it as there is an ertiga which caught fire on hsr flyover traffic is already piled up this one is around 8 pm.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 22:17   #16217
BHPian

I happened to be there, a few cars behind the one that caught fire. I didn't stop as two lanes are almost blocked and my lane was moving. Could see a few others (mostly cab drivers I guess) trying to help them. It was scary to see it live though have read about such incidents.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 10:26   #16218
BHPian

News in today's TOI Bengaluru edition.

Driver lets monkey get behind wheel, removed from duty.

So some monkey questions

1. Who was removed from duty - monkey or driver ? But then this is a question for the thread "How to post in proper English?"
2. As an after thought, why not replace all humans with monkeys? Bengaluru has enough drivers with IQ less than that of simians (apologies to simian friends though for doubting their IQ)
3. An investigation is ordered now - will the monkey also be part of the hearings?
4. Will part of driver's salary be paid to the monkey?
5. Can a monkey claim that it is a capable driver and allowed to take driving test in RTO?
6 ...

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.jpg
AltoLXI is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 10:47   #16219
Distinguished - BHPian

I have always seen a provision for u-turn just before a toll plaza. The other day I was going to the airport and had to cancel my plan in the last minute but to my horror I found there is no way to take a u-turn without paying two way toll. The signal just before the toll gate (after McDonalds) is sporting a new "No u-turn" sign board so I drove further ahead thinking I can take the U turn before the toll gate. There is no provision for u-turn!! I took the lane marked for HYD and fortunately there was a small make-shift gap allowing me to take a tight u-turn.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 12:51   #16220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I have always seen a provision for u-turn just before a toll plaza. The other day I was going to the airport and had to cancel my plan in the last minute but to my horror I found there is no way to take a u-turn without paying two way toll. The signal just before the toll gate (after McDonalds) is sporting a new "No u-turn" sign board so I drove further ahead thinking I can take the U turn before the toll gate. There is no provision for u-turn!! I took the lane marked for HYD and fortunately there was a small make-shift gap allowing me to take a tight u-turn.
Take a left at the signal, drive a little forward and then take U turn.

Last edited by mjumrani : 6th October 2018 at 12:52. Reason: Typo.
mjumrani is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 13:06   #16221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Take a left at the signal, drive a little forward and then take U turn.
Yes that's my plan as well in future if I find myself in a similar situation but first timers won't realise it. This entire toll section annoys me a lot. The planning of toll locations feels as if they are putting mousetraps all around to catch escaping mice. If you are coming from Hyd with plans to enter the airport and you missed the Devanahalli entrance ramp to the airport then you have no option but to pay extra toll. I find it unreasonable not to provide a U turn before the toll gates.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 13:29   #16222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
This is what really gets to me every time. If you are the one following the traffic rules, or just plain traffic commonsense practices, you'll be the one who loses out. The cab driver who zooms ahead the wrong way manages to squeeze into the jam somewhere and gets ahead. The bike that zooms across the red light gets away. The idiot honking behind you even though he can see there's a jam in front of you will more often than not abuse you when you let him overtake.

What is it with these guys? Don't they see they contribute to the havoc?
On one of the evenings on the way home from office, I had stopped at the e-city - Hosur road signal to turn left onto Hosur road towards Silk-board. I was first guy at the signal, and there's this beeline of vehicles all wanting to turn left. A Xylo cab driver gets down from his vehicle, comes to my driver side window and bangs on it yelling me to just take a left and drive off. This is when there's a red signal, and the left turn signal is yet to be activated. I was a bit shocked to hear the sudden bang on my driver's side window, but that is when I realized what had actually happened. He was using choicest words to swear at me, and even yelled from where I have come etc.

I didn't move, nor let him move till the signal turned green. But I left the signal feeling very frustrated - this is what we get for following rules.

Last edited by prashkul : 6th October 2018 at 13:30.
prashkul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 14:19   #16223
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this today, sad outcome for asking for directions.

News link.
mpksuhas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 20:48   #16224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I have always seen a provision for u-turn just before a toll plaza.
Removed because of this:
Alternative road eats into toll on KIA stretch
https://www.deccanherald.com/state/a...te-695227.html

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th October 2018 at 20:50.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 09:07   #16225
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a rant...in fact a happy post.
Traffic was a lot less for a Monday morning, thanks to the Amavasye (new moon day). Also this being the Mahalaya Amavasye, many schools and offices have a holiday. The morning drive was a breeze with at least 15 minutes saved compared to any other good day. How I wish everyday was an Amavasye
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 09:48   #16226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
How I wish everyday was an Amavasye

Amavasye is special because many people I personally know refuse to take their cars out on this day, month after month; also an equal number who abstain from going anywhere distant or important for fear of something bad happening.

On the other side, my friends from North Karnataka take this once a month opportunity to clean their cars, tie the mandatory nimbu-mirchi evil eye protectant and hang a garland. This is of course followed by a special (vegetarian + sweet dish) meal at home, to which I too get invited occasionally .

Need I say that I too like amavasye!
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 10:43   #16227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Not a rant...in fact a happy post.
Traffic was a lot less for a Monday morning, thanks to the Amavasye (new moon day). Also this being the Mahalaya Amavasye, many schools and offices have a holiday. The morning drive was a breeze with at least 15 minutes saved compared to any other good day. How I wish everyday was an Amavasye
+100. CV Raman Nagar to Manayata Embassy was a breeze today, thanisandra pileups sold separately.

Hardly any school buses, pretty decently moving traffic - nice Monday morning surprise.
Old 8th October 2018, 10:55   #16228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
This is when there's a red signal, and the left turn signal is yet to be activated.
Are you talking about the junction where turning right (Below fly over) leads to Outer Ring Road towards Iblur Junction and further leads towards HSR Layout, Agra and turning left leads to BTM layout?

Where is the signal when turning left from Hosur Road towards BTM ? I do not see any signal. It is free left.

Usually, what happens here is, all the vehicles(Including Buses) who want to take RIGHT turn towards HSR layout lines up in the left most part of the road and blocks left turn which is a free left.

Because of this, people get annoyed and shouts at people who blocks the left turn.
Old 8th October 2018, 11:04   #16229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Are you talking about the junction where turning right (Below fly over) leads to Outer Ring Road towards Iblur Junction and further leads towards HSR Layout, Agra and turning left leads to BTM layout?
I thought he was talking about the signal at Konappana Agrahara, under the BETL and just before the NICE Road entry ramp. A free left there onto Hosur road will be somewhat of a problem because of traffic coming from Attibele side wanting to take the service road and onwards to NICE Road.
Old 8th October 2018, 21:08   #16230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I thought he was talking about the signal at Konappana Agrahara, under the BETL and just before the NICE Road entry ramp. A free left there onto Hosur road will be somewhat of a problem because of traffic coming from Attibele side wanting to take the service road and onwards to NICE Road.
Correct. I am referring to this junction. Thanks for clarifying!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks