Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 19:10   #16321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Almost all bridges in Bangalore vibrate scarily, especially when stuck in a jam and vehicles are moving on the opposite side. I've experienced this in MES road railway bridge, Gokula rail over bridge, Big Bazaar flyover on a regular basis. K.R Puram suspension bridge also shakes, but the character is a bit different.
If a Bridge does collapse, I guess you're safer in a car than the people under it. Hopefully airbags will deploy and keep you in a cocoon.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 20:47   #16322
Distinguished - BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20181031203915_maps.jpg
This is what happens when everyone goes out of Bengaluru to their hometowns. This was the scene at NICE road towards Hosur. Actually I was in the opposite direction (towards city) but still it was like this. out of total 26kms, the last 20kms to home took 20mins only. But the first 6 kms before I join NICE road, took the rest of the time! Preparing myself to a peaceful low traffic one and a half weeks.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 09:56   #16323
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20181101081517725_com.google.android.apps.maps.png

Yes this is our Hebbal Junction.
FURY_44 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 10:47   #16324
Team-BHP Support

The city feels like an entirely different place for a short while whenever it only has to deal with the volume of people it was intended to sustain.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 16:47   #16325
BHPian

For some reason, there is a huge pile up towards Majestic from corporation circle. Avoid at all costs. My plans to visit BVK Iyengar road ruined and had to return back.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-smartselect_20181101164426_maps.jpg
nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 18:19   #16326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
For some reason, there is a huge pile up towards Majestic from corporation circle.
Deepavali is the biggest festival in India. This blood red line on the map is mostly of People travelling from Karmabhoomi to Janmabhoomi to celebrate that festival next week.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 18:46   #16327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
People travelling from Karmabhoomi to Janmabhoomi to celebrate that festival next week.
Tell me about it. In 2009, I noticed that from Pune to Bangalore when I actually tried so hard to get into a normal KSRTC Bus for Hubli from where I had booked a train to Bangalore.

The rush at the Bus station was super high with each of the Airavatha Service leaving for North Karnataka, Bangalore or Mangalore/Udupi services denying me a ticket for Hubli (whenever I asked the conductor).

It was only then I got into a normal bus, that entered and exited each town from Pune all the way to Hubli, and reaching Hubli only 10 minutes after my train departed.

After this I traveled first time in a passenger train where I remember paying 55 INR for Bangalore that took nearly 12 hours to do Hubli Bangalore.

Through that experience, I noticed how many from Pune were returning back to their bases in North Karnataka, Coastal Karnataka destination as well as Bangalore. I will never forget that journey till date because it also gave me the experience of a passenger train.

The Karmabhoomi to Janmabhoomi travel during Diwali is always a mega experience at some of the most well known locations that attract migrant population.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:46   #16328
Senior - BHPian

Should we rejoice that we are in the first three or lament that in spite of so many of us contributing to this wonderful thread (in the literal and literature front!), we are still lagging behind two other cities? TOI quotes Ola's Ease of Moving Report which says that the average speed of vehicles in Bengaluru traffic is just 15.5kmph, the third slowest in India after Patna and Kolkata.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot-65.jpg

Another highlight of the report is the revelation that peak hour movement is 162% slower than during non peak hours.

PS: Dear Bhpians from Patna and Kolkata, its time you either claim your rightful place in the forum by starting to rant or allow us to move to the top of the slow chart .

Last edited by dailydriver : 2nd November 2018 at 07:47.
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:54   #16329
Senior - BHPian

True that. 16k posts on this thread should have surely got us the top spot. They should have considered our rants for their report.

Here is what the government is considering.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1541125419.113091.jpg
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:23   #16330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The Karmabhoomi to Janmabhoomi travel during Diwali is always a mega experience at some of the most well known locations that attract migrant population.
As Bangalore residents, Diwali week is one of the most savoured times of the year for us since the traffic on the roads in minimal. Driving from one end of the town to the other end, especially on the actual festival days, is nothing short of bliss.

Even people who remain in the city are usually at home celebrating with family, and the end result is that roads are (relatively) empty and traffic is free flowing with little or none of the regular logjams occurring. Certainly looking forward to peaceful and less frenetic Bangalore roads over the next week or so.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 2nd November 2018 at 09:24.
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 15:59   #16331
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks heading towards Yeswantpur Taj Vivanta signal via goraguntepalya please check maps before heading that way. Long jam stretching even after BEL road underpass. Google shows road as closed. Not sure what has happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20181102155729.png  

procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 23:30   #16332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
the average speed of vehicles in Bengaluru traffic is just 15.5kmph, the third slowest in India after Patna and Kolkata.

Attachment 1814162
What is the source for this data? Is the average speed calculated including high speed runs 120+kmph on the airport road, Nice road and some parts of ring road? Do the other cities have similar roads?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 04:59   #16333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
What is the source for this data? Is the average speed calculated including high speed runs 120+kmph on the airport road, Nice road and some parts of ring road? Do the other cities have similar roads?
Only the Ola Mobility Institute would be able to answer these questions. For, the Ease of Moving Index 2018 is a report that the institute has come up with:

Quote:
To offer a comprehensive action plan for cities to further strengthen their public transportation systems and improve the overall state of mobility... The index offers insight into mobility preferences and aspirations of Indian commuters across 20 cities with a population of over 92 million
Quote:
The report surveys over 43,000 respondents from 20 cities spanning across the country. These cities were selected on five parameters – Scale, Character, Culture, Economy and Geography. The report considers 50+ parameters that represent People, Infrastructure, and Sustainability to assess the accessibility, efficiency and safety of current transportation facilities
More here.

This could actually be a PR exercise or a genuine attempt at CSR. Nevertheless, some food for thought, on the lines of the Maruti Suzuki Road Safety Index released in March 2017 and discussed (Maruti Suzuki Road Safety Index released, rates 8 Indian cities) here.

Last edited by dailydriver : 3rd November 2018 at 05:00.
Old 3rd November 2018, 07:53   #16334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
What is the source for this data?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Only the Ola Mobility Institute would be able to answer these questions.

Quote:
The report surveys over 43,000 respondents from 20 cities spanning across the country
I'm going to take a guess, based on the Ola name, and the numbers quoted, that this is derived from the GPS data of Ola cabs in these cities. That would have been data that is readily available, without needing to do the hard work of data gathering, since Ola would already have trip distances and times.

It will also be tied in to the sentiment that "heavy usage of private transport is one of the major factors for traffic congestion", since selling that line makes Ola and Uber look like better alternatives for city transport ("why allow lakhs of private vehicles when tens of thousands of taxis can be reused across the day?").

I would dispute that point about private vehicles causing congestion in particular, because - at least here in B'lore - we've clearly seen that those days when we have an auto strike or a taxi strike are the days our average speed increases, our average stress decreases, and we're able to enjoy the city many of us love.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:11   #16335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I would dispute that point about private vehicles causing congestion in particular, because - at least here in B'lore - we've clearly seen that those days when we have an auto strike or a taxi strike are the days our average speed increases, our average stress decreases, and we're able to enjoy the city many of us love.

Rightly said. It is proven in multiple cities that the likes of Ola/Uber have increased congestion.

https://www.businessinsider.in/Uber-...w/65168346.cms

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd November 2018 at 08:34. Reason: Fixing URL.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks