Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 21:23   #16366
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Apologies, but what is this magic box? I see a lot of references to it here.
These are pre-cast concrete boxes to quickly build an underpass and a narrow bridge that goes above it on the perpendicular sides, effectively avoiding a signal at a 4 road junction (extension of the idea of using a pre-cast box as a railway underpass if you will).

https://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...le15170513.ece

Last edited by NPV : 12th November 2018 at 21:26.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 09:03   #16367
Distinguished - BHPian

When emotions try to defy logic & civic sense:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.jpg

Just look at that emotional outburst to some good work done, even if temporary by Bengaluru Traffic Police.

Those who regularly take the Madiwala Market road know how despite of full concretization, chaos mar the entire stretch making free flow of traffic extremely difficult.

Courtesy, Deccan Herald:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dh_news.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 14:25   #16368
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Heard from a friend that vegetable vendors and shops encroaching the Madiwala market road were cleared in a 3 day operation. Surprised that no one reported here about traffic movement after this operation (except Parag's post above!), so I looked up local news sites and found this article - Link (Source:Times Of India Bangalore Nov 13 2018)

This is a good move and I hope it will remain permanent, these vendors had encroached the road almost completely and with all the vegetable waste strewn around, it was very common to see vehicles skid here and add to it crawling traffic thru the day.

Last edited by NPV : 14th November 2018 at 14:29. Reason: added more context
NPV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 16:26   #16369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Surprised that no one reported here about traffic movement after this operation (except Parag's post above!), so I looked up local news sites and found this article -
Actually, majority of the folks from Jakkasandra would avoid this by reaching either atop Madiwala Underpass or directly to Silkboard and take a free left towards Hosur/BETL.

It was mainly the office buses and TTs which had to take the route via Market as they were banned from entering the direct road via Madiwala underpass from St. Johns.

So expecting to hear less about this from fellow BHPians.

Quote:
This is a good move and I hope it will remain permanent, these vendors had encroached the road almost completely and with all the vegetable waste strewn around, it was very common to see vehicles skid here and add to it crawling traffic thru the day.
And Cattle had a field day too!! Haphazard parking of mini lorries on this road was treated a normal and the chaos were maximum in mornings when those into food preparation business would throng this place in all types of vehicles.

This is one of the reasons why despite of a ban, company buses and TTs plied merrily on the Madiwala Underpass road till 9am although the ban is round the clock.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 12:04   #16370
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend, on JB Nagar main road. In front of the HP pump.

I was going towards HAL and a BMTC bus was coming the other way. At the point when we crossed each other, a bike (papa riding, mummy pillion and baby who looked to be about 2 years old sandwiched between them) darted out of the pump turning right and tried to squeeze between the bus and my car. There wasn't enough space, so he had to brake and stop bang in front of my car. I too had to brake; since the speed was around 35 kmph it wasn't a big problem. But then the biker came to my driver-side window with what I felt was an intention to berate me. I didn't give him the chance; instead addressed the lady with a graphic description of what would happen to the baby had I hit them. She was feeling increasingly uncomfortable and the papa was left speechless.

Later on felt bad about it, but been trying to rationalize that such a lesson was needed.
binand is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 20:37   #16371
Distinguished - BHPian

This is my October month timeline as per Google maps.

Interesting thing is, I haven't travelled out of Bangalore last month, all this is just regular office commute.

I stay around 6 KMS from office and have to cross dreaded ecospace enroute to office.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20181115202516.png
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 05:41   #16372
Senior - BHPian

Look at New York yesterday:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-a0pecp7xsdt6brcagfzb.png

Now I feel positively good about Bangalore!

(This is how one retains one's sanity)
sridhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 08:19   #16373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

It had snowed in New York yesterday, hence the jams. In Bangalore, the lakes snow, so are we even?
drive2eternity is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 08:45   #16374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

(This is how one retains one's sanity)
Indeed yes but traffic and civic sense is much better in a City like NYC
Old 19th November 2018, 10:39   #16375
BHPian

Google maps while it is a great tool also does its bit to mess up the traffic. For people travelling on intermediate ring road, you can into STBed layout and reach the Ejipura signal via the Ejipura village. The only catch, the roads are barely 10 ft wide. It is no problem for two wheelers but when cars come in, they block the road and struggle to take the right right turn.

The residents have also clearly had enough of vehicles coming non stop through what are very private and quiet areas. They've put up barricades and a concrete pipe across half the road width to deter cars. But still everyday, you see hapless car drivers come and get stuck and abused by two wheeler and the residents
jaganm is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:56   #16376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
Google maps while it is a great tool also does its bit to mess up the traffic.
[...]
The residents have also clearly had enough of vehicles coming non stop through what are very private and quiet areas.
This is a worldwide problem, but usually reported in Waze's context (which is also a Google product):

The bulldozer attitude is that it is a public road and anyone is free to take it.

I personally find the mentioned route a great find when returning from Turf Park (where my son participates in some activities) to my home near Marathahalli, without having to go through Sony World signal or ORR mess.

Edit: The same thing happens (locals blocking roads etc.) in Chinnappanahalli (connection from Graphite India Road to ORR) and Marathahalli village (connection from ORR to OA Road) near my home. They generally don't bother private cars; instead target taxis and other yellow-board vehicles.

Last edited by binand : 19th November 2018 at 12:01.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:03   #16377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
Google maps while it is a great tool also does its bit to mess up the traffic.
I think the 'best' route that GMaps suggests may not always be the best either. Or at least not worth the extra few minutes that following it might save.

Was returning from Ramanagara yesterday in a friend's car and we were heading to the Forum mall on Hosur Road. If it was me driving, I would have exited the NICE road at E-city. But for some reason, GMaps showed the PES college exit and some convoluted path through Basavanagudi (based on the traffic conditions at that time I'm sure). My friend even commented, 'so Google is showing routes through residential areas, not bad!'

Since I was in the comfort of an Audi, I wasn't driving, and my buddy believes in 'smart' technology like a religion, I didn't complain. But I don't think we really saved any time going through those residential small roads, and that long car even scraped a couple of neighborhood speed bumps on the way!

So always apply a dose of common sense and the reality of Indian roads when deciding between the routes suggested by GMaps.

Last edited by am1m : 19th November 2018 at 14:13.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 18:06   #16378
BHPian

At least on this route, I think the private car owners have realised the futility and decided to just take the longer route via silk board. It is mainly the occasional cab driver that comes and gets stuck royally and is abused by all and sundry
jaganm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 18:40   #16379
BHPian

I take this route for my daily commute and not aware of any BHPians using this route. There is a railway crossing here (circled in Red in attached map).

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.jpg

Every time the gate gets closed, it is chaos all around. Bikes, autos and some cars stop right in the way of the oncoming vehicles. The road also is curved and people always stop blocking others. When the gate opens, barring a few bikes who manage to "escape", everybody gets into the deadlock. It is as if everybody has a brain fade. Some idiots even get a perverted sense of happiness of having deprived others their right of way.

Last week I was behind a Uber cab on my two wheeler and once the gate opened the cab driver started moving slowly. It was a mess and the driver was negotiating his way through bit slowly and avoiding scraping other vehicles. Two guys on a bike who were next to me were so desperate to cross, that they deliberately rear ended the car, banged the car with fists and were yelling the choicest abuses at the driver. The driver unmindful of all these crossed the gate. Once on the other side of the road, the guys on the bike got in his way and punched the poor cab driver who unfortunately had his driver's side window down. Poor guy, just drove off without a protest

Last Saturday, I got stuck here in my new i20 royally for 20 minutes and was scared to death till I passed this gate. This chaos ensures that one should have a total control of your car's movements right to the last inch. Accelerate a bit more, you hit the idiot who blocks you in the front, release the clutch early and you hit the guy behind who stops less than a inch from the back of the car.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 19:24   #16380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Some idiots even get a perverted sense of happiness of having deprived others their right of way.

Two guys on a bike banged the car with fists and were yelling the choicest abuses at the driver.
I have a developing hypothesis - many of these drivers seek their thrills and joy on the road because they possibly lack that in their life (work, passion, etc). Consequently, they end up making everyone life miserable!

If they were passionate about their work, their focus would be on reaching there peacefully and giving their very best once reached. Clearly that's not happening.

Auto guys are a universe of their own. Much too random and erratic to even try hypothesizing. They can turn out to be most helpful at times and other times most irksome too.
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks