Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 07:08   #16381
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Expecting a delightful commute today with GoK closed along with many schools.

On a separate note, on my Bellary Road portion, the alternative roads to KIAL have definitely reduced the rush at Hebbal both morning and evening.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 11:18   #16382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

On a separate note, on my Bellary Road portion, the alternative roads to KIAL have definitely reduced the rush at Hebbal both morning and evening.
I left my house in Bommanahalli by 8 50 AM and reached ITPL by 11 AM. I went to Silkboard from Bommanahalli and then took a Volvo to ITPL. More than 2 hrs commute. I see no difference in traffic jam on the ORR. May be since the schools are closed, I was bit lucky.
Looks like whatever time I took to commute is the daily norm that I have to accept whatsoever.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 16:35   #16383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I had to go to Hennur side from HSR this morning. Left home around 9:15 am and Sony Signal, ejipura road etc was no different. I was able to reach only after 2 hrs.
Old 21st November 2018, 17:36   #16384
Senior - BHPian

I, on the other hand, went from HSR to Whitefield Honda in 35 minutes via the ORR
Return by bus also took around the same time
Old 22nd November 2018, 13:48   #16385
Distinguished - BHPian

Out of idle curiosity, which IT corridor has the worst traffic? In my opinion it's the area around Manyata Tech Park, followed by ITPL, then the whole Mahadevapura-Marathalli-Bellandur section of ORR. Electronic City stretch after that. Then probably Bannerghatta Road and the Old Madras Road stretches. The Bagmane area seems much better.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by am1m : 22nd November 2018 at 13:52.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:16   #16386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Out of idle curiosity, which IT corridor has the worst traffic? In my opinion it's the area around Manyata Tech Park, followed by ITPL, then the whole Mahadevapura-Marathalli-Bellandur section of ORR. Electronic City stretch after that. Then probably Bannerghatta Road and the Old Madras Road stretches. The Bagmane area seems much better.

Any thoughts?
I have been commuting to/from Manyata since more than 11 years now. Only because of white topping work, we see this mess now. Otherwise, I found the traffic in and around Manyata better than some of the other tech parks that you have mentioned.
kavensri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:52   #16387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Any thoughts?
I would say the Mahadevpura-Marathahalli-Belandur-Iblur belt. As it is not one Tech Park, but multiple ones that come one after the other in that stretch. Each of them are pretty huge. In addition a lot of the ITPL traffic also spills over to the ring road via KR Puram and Marathahalli. Finally, it is not done yet. There are still buildings coming up- so plenty of scope for it to extend its notorious reputation.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 16:44   #16388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Any thoughts?
For sure it is the Mahadevapura-Marathalli-Bellandur section of ORR I'd count ITPL area also as part of this and not as a separate area.

Manyata area would probably be second. White topping has created a mess but it's a short time issue IMO.

Silkboard to EC is actually not bad at all since it has NICE and BETL which de-congests the traffic by a huge margin. Again the metro construction has created a mess but even that will not be for too long

Bhannerughatta road and OMR are all after this.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:06   #16389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I would say the Mahadevpura-Marathahalli-Belandur-Iblur belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
For sure it is the Mahadevapura-Marathalli-Bellandur section of ORR I'd count ITPL area also as part of this and not as a separate area.

Agree, I have been using Marathahalli - Bellandur section for 7 years now. My commute time from HAL Old Airport to Embassy Tech Village is increased by 3X
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:40   #16390
BHPian

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Disagree! I have been commuting to Manyata for 9 years now from old airport road. Manyata tech park lies on an outer ring road which is signal free all the way from old madras road till Hebbal. It is one of the smoothest roads in Bangalore even during peak hours.

Ah! If anyone sees it now will probably give me a slap, as it is messy due to the white topping activity, but obviously that will be done and dusted shortly.

No first hand experience of the other IT corridors, but have heard from people and read on our very own forum about the horrors there .
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:05   #16391
BHPian

Please do not try to take away the crown of being the most congested area in Bangalore from the Marathahalli - Iblur stretch of ORR. All the authorities and private builders have toiled hard to get this fame. Below is a small representation of the sheer density of huge techparks in this god-forsaken stretch. It is hardly surprising that we witness mile long jams here from 8 AM to 12 Noon and then from 4 PM to 9 PM.
(PS - we don't need white topping or Metro work for such jams, we are self sufficient)

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-orr-iblur.jpg

Last edited by drive2eternity : 23rd November 2018 at 10:08.
drive2eternity is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:59   #16392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
(PS - we don't need white topping or Metro work for such jams, we are self sufficient)

Attachment 1821350
Also lurking in the area just beyond the bottom of the image are the new ones on Sarjapur Road- RGA Tech Park and the new Wipro SEZ who are waiting to claim their rightful share of the jams.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:18   #16393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also lurking in the area just beyond the bottom of the image are the new ones on Sarjapur Road- RGA Tech Park and the new Wipro SEZ who are waiting to claim their rightful share of the jams.
That's true. Also, isn't the new Oracle campus coming up somewhere here as well? 'The second largest Oracle office in the World'.

I wonder if they too will have just one road going in and out of the campus just like all the other "world-class office spaces" on this amazing stretch!

Good times ahead! Can't wait for the Metro work to begin and make things even better for all us chosen ones commuting on this road everyday!

Last edited by am1m : 23rd November 2018 at 11:27.
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:20   #16394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would say the Mahadevpura-Marathahalli-Belandur-Iblur belt. As it is not one Tech Park, but multiple ones that come one after the other in that stretch. Each of them are pretty huge. In addition a lot of the ITPL traffic also spills over to the ring road via KR Puram and Marathahalli. Finally, it is not done yet. There are still buildings coming up- so plenty of scope for it to extend its notorious reputation.
Rajeev, I so concur with your view here. I had earlier posted on this thread how a 9 km commute on one of the days took me 1h15 minutes, each inch at crawling speeds.

I have to admit, I managed to take the same route twice after that again, with one on yesterday and on both occasions things never changed - Easily 45-75 minutes for the last 8 Kms on a 6 lane ring road with service roads on both sides, flyovers and underpass at every major junction. The real reason are the IT Parks and the entry to it.

In short, the stretch from Doddanakundi - ISRO - Marathalli - Kadubesahanalli - Intel Flyover - Bellandur is the worst of all the traffic prone stretches of Bangalore. I can't think of anything within Bangalore that is this worse and this consistent.

The next 2 times I drove to my intended destinations (Ecoworld and Pritech park), I had to reach at 09:30 and 10:00 respectively.

Boy-Oh-Boy.....! The traffic crawls everywhere - On-top and beside the flyovers, At and over an underpass and on service lanes! I do not recollect moving in 3rd gear all the 3 times I drove here in last one month and its pure madness despite of so many changes in the last decade (I worked out of Ecospace in 2007-08) and I have mostly driven on ORR on weekends after this when things always looked saner.

I never complained of leg or ankle pain but trust me, I have to do now. Despite of a Diesel car that has supposedly a lighter clutch to operate, my ankles and left thigh started to pain 10 minutes to destination on yesterday.

And if peak hours or starting from home early was a trick, I miserably failed at that too - Its chaotic right from 8:00AM itself.

Compared to this stretch, I can easily say Electronics City is blessed and I am glued to this location for the past 11 years for my office commute. Thinking to drive to Bellandur even for an occasion gives me sleepless nights.

God bless you daily commuters to this part of the city. You are brave!

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd November 2018 at 11:35.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 11:24   #16395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And if peak hours or starting from home early was a trick, I miserably failed at that too - Its chaotic right from 8:00AM itself.
Tell me about it! I do 8:30am-7:30pm on most weekdays just to avoid traffic. Have all 3 meals at work and either go for a run around the lake nearby or work out at the gym on the campus in the evenings. When a good movie comes out I watch it at the mall near work.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed