Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2018, 08:01   #16501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Jayadeva Flyover work finally starting off. God help commuters and residents in that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-jayadeva.jpg  

itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 08:56   #16502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Jayadeva Flyover work finally starting off. God help commuters and residents in that area.
That will start in April of next year. This was supposed to have done by now if the original date of Oct 2017 ia considered.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:34   #16503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Can someone who took this route today help with update on the situation?
I completely bypassed this area today and took the NICE Road to Electronic City - but interested to know what is the ground level reality.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:43   #16504
BHPian

Being a thread of 1000+ pages, I am sure this must have been touched upon but my fellow BHP-ians here. The problem with Bangalore's traffic is not entirely on its infrastructure. In fact there are cities with twice the number of vehicles who have traffic woes for sure, but they manage that by following the traffic rules, the use of technology and of course people having the presence of mind on the road putting in the effort to follow traffic rules, be mindful and respectful of other's space and time.

In India however, it just isn't wired into majority of the population. We are rarely mindful of others while on the road or away from it. I live in Bangalore and I have to cross the TC Palya main road stretch from Ramamurthy Nagar main road on a daily basis. 9 out of 10 days, the traffic just goes bananas. In the first place the entire stretch of roads lacks any planning at all. There are a million crossroads that connect right on to the main road, autorickshaws are an absolute menace in this area. The move around as if none... I mean none of the traffic rules apply to them. They are running point to point trips which is illegal, severely overloaded which is illegal again, the driver may/may not have a driving licence, the vehicle may/may not have a registration number and they have the licence to break all the rules on the road! The surprising part is that the cops let them go!!!! Why does this happen???

Yesterday, the traffic was absolutely mad and everyone which is a rare sight again are waiting in a long line. Out of nowhere Mr. Fancy Pants on an Innova turns up on the opposite lane going on the same direction just like me and stops right behind the cop who was directing the traffic. These are the kind of people who needs to be dumped in a swamp straight away! Not a word was asked or said by the cop nor an offense booked for the brain dead driver of that barge in the middle of the road on the wrong side.

The funny thing was that none of the people in the entire line including me let him go. I am a nice person but these kind of people easily wake up the devil in me or just anybody else. He was stuck there blocking the entire opposite lane and still the cop was tolerant with him. Are the cops unaware of their powers or are they too occupied for making sure the road is clear someway or the other? I am not advocate for sharia law or anything but there is a strong reason why punishments are made public. And in the case of auto drivers, there has to be something that is strictly implemented.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 17:39   #16505
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

After so many years, took a stroll along MG Road, Brigade road, Residency Road on a Sunday evening after 9pm Brought back nostalgic memories of these places, but that's not the topic here.

As I was walking on the sidewalk near Cauvery Handicrafts, heard loud honking behind me and saw a mad moron on an Activa scooter trying to zip his way to beat traffic at the signal and get to the head of the line! Before I could react, he went right through the metal bollards placed on the sidewalk. This guy was so lost in his zest to get ahead that he did not realize the rear pillion's left side foot rest (Saree guard) was open, so it crashed against the Bollard making a few gashes on it He then closed the foot rest and moved forward to slip out of the sidewalk onto the Zebra crossing and he won the race as he was right in front just in time for the green signal. All over in few seconds, while I was still wondering what the hell was going on.

Such cases of riding on footpaths should be dealt with very seriously.

Last edited by NPV : 10th December 2018 at 17:42.
Old 10th December 2018, 18:41   #16506
Senior - BHPian

Today I jumped the signal at Yeshwanthpur. I was traveling from Tata Institute towards the flower market. The signal was red and I was stopped behind an auto and 2-wheeler. After about 30 sec, I noticed the vehicles ahead of me moving forward and also an auto on my left moving forward, saw the signal was green for forward and right and started moving, only on reaching the pillar, I saw vehicles from my left road (8th Main) also moving. I just continued ahead but I realized that I had jumped the red light. For the life of me, I could not see where the signal was. I have come from 8th Main often and I mistook the green light of that road as my signal. Why aren't signals placed in a visible spot. It should be ahead or to the right. I hope I didn't inconvenience anybody.
Old 10th December 2018, 19:10   #16507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
For the life of me, I could not see where the signal was.
That's a very common misunderstanding due to horrendously placed signals! Your signal was slightly towards your left. Many miss this and start honking like crazy and/or start rushing ahead in mistaken identity. Don't be too hard on yourself - this is one of those junctions where even an all-knowing-lord could occasionally trip-up!
Old 10th December 2018, 21:33   #16508
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Not a rant, still thought of reporting here. Have peak hours changed in Bangalore or my expectations have changed on time required to travel?
I started from Manyata tech park at 0550 PM, crossed enigmatic white topping till Hennur cross, overcame KR Puram Metro construction, passed dreaded stretch of Marathalli-EcoSpace and reached Sarjapura road fire station, a distance of 25km in just 65 minutes.
I couldn't believe I was home so fast!

Last edited by Acharya : 10th December 2018 at 21:34.
Old 10th December 2018, 21:54   #16509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Not a rant, still thought of reporting here. Have peak hours changed in Bangalore or my expectations have changed on time required to travel?
The month has changed in Bangalore to December .

Most of them opting for their Annual leaves and thinner workloads typically seen around this time of the year.

I drove from Yelahanka to Ecoworld today in 70 minutes starting at 1030am and returned in 67 minutes starting back at 1330
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 21:57   #16510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
I started from Manyata tech park at 0550 PM, crossed enigmatic white topping till Hennur cross, overcame KR Puram Metro construction, passed dreaded stretch of Marathalli-EcoSpace and reached Sarjapura road fire station, a distance of 25km in just 65 minutes.
I couldn't believe I was home so fast!
As Parag said, it's December and hence even I am facing reduced traffic. I reached home in two hours though I left whitefield at 5PM which was the worst time earlier to leave.
Old 11th December 2018, 07:09   #16511
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
There are a million crossroads that connect right on to the main road, autorickshaws are an absolute menace in this area. The move around as if none... I mean none of the traffic rules apply to them. They are running point to point trips which is illegal, severely overloaded which is illegal again, the driver may/may not have a driving licence, the vehicle may/may not have a registration number and they have the licence to break all the rules on the road! The surprising part is that the cops let them go!!!! Why does this happen???
The simple answer is that the autorickshaw drivers are a special breed protected by their unions as well as political contacts. They exist like a mafia, and when one from their breed is in any sort of 'trouble', they congregate like a swarm of bees to rescue their folk.

Here is one from my personal experience:
Auto gangs (Speeding auto rams my car, auto gangs pounce)

Quote:
Yesterday, the traffic was absolutely mad and everyone which is a rare sight again are waiting in a long line. Out of nowhere Mr. Fancy Pants on an Innova turns up on the opposite lane going on the same direction just like me and stops right behind the cop who was directing the traffic. These are the kind of people who needs to be dumped in a swamp straight away! Not a word was asked or said by the cop nor an offense booked for the brain dead driver of that barge in the middle of the road on the wrong side.
Being a traffic cop in India is an unenviable job. You are at the receiving end of abuses from motorists with almost no chance of exercising your authority. If you do your job, you end up with punishments, and if you don't, you end up with abuses anyway. Imposing a fine on an offender as in the case above will result in a fine which is peanuts and the situation will continue unabated. As for the cop, in the process he would have had to undergo high blood pressure, being made to feel inferior, and other unimaginable trauma. Easier to just let it go, sometimes.

Quote:
The funny thing was that none of the people in the entire line including me let him go. I am a nice person but these kind of people easily wake up the devil in me or just anybody else. He was stuck there blocking the entire opposite lane and still the cop was tolerant with him. Are the cops unaware of their powers or are they too occupied for making sure the road is clear someway or the other?
This is people's idea of sweet revenge, and their version of karma making its mark. Easiest form of punishment, with minimal effort involved. I agree with this.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 08:04   #16512
BHPian

Quote:
I live in Bangalore and I have to cross the TC Palya main road stretch from Ramamurthy Nagar main road on a daily basis. 9 out of 10 days, the traffic just goes bananas. In the first place the entire stretch of roads lacks any planning at all. There are a million crossroads that connect right on to the main road,.
The biggest problem on this road is the encroachments by people which has left a large part of the road unusable. Never lasting digging on sides for manholes has further reduced the width. In addition we get trucks, concrete mixtures avoiding the KR Puram Bridge towards Hebbal via this route. The stretch from Raghavendra Circle to Hoysala Nagar is spoiled by the local people. Umpteen encroachments, speed breakers, potholes, parked vehicle on the sides and what you get is an absolute nightmare at any time in the day. All other roads in the area have been dug up by the blessings of BWSSB. The Horamavu - ORR stretch is virtually non existent due to dug up roads since one year. I share your grief in the absolute apathy shown by BBMP towards this area.

Last edited by adi_gt : 11th December 2018 at 08:05.
Old 11th December 2018, 17:34   #16513
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, getting people to walk a bit, even if there is enough pedestrian infra in place is hard! Have already posted about how I see people queuing up for the internal campus shuttle for a distance of less than 1.7-1.8km ( and that's at it's maximum for the furthermost office building from the entrance, I've checked it). This is even though the shuttle is jam packed, the road is too and it will be much faster to walk on the 2 dedicated wide, green bush-lined footpaths provided.

So we're planning a driving trip this weekend, and I've borrowed my wife's car (I usually walk that 1.8km everyday when she drops me at the campus entrance). Since we're starting from my workplace, I asked the rest of the guys to come here so we can avoid stopping at the campus entrance to pick up people, which would be hard and would block traffic, considering the traffic on ORR and that junction. They're all ready to come from their homes by Uber to the campus entrance, but made such a fuss to do that additional walk to the where the car is parked! They'd rather take the cab inside and spend an additional half hour at least, or want me to pick them up at the entrance.

Even good metro connectivity is not going to wean such people off their personal vehicles. Even with decent last-mile connectivity, utilizing any good public transport system will entail a certain amount of walking. Well, they deserve the traffic in that case is all I can say!
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 17:52   #16514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
The biggest problem on this road is the encroachments by people which has left a large part of the road unusable. Never lasting digging on sides for manholes has further reduced the width. In addition we get trucks, concrete mixtures avoiding the KR Puram Bridge towards Hebbal via this route. The stretch from Raghavendra Circle to Hoysala Nagar is spoiled by the local people. Umpteen encroachments, speed breakers, potholes, parked vehicle on the sides and what you get is an absolute nightmare at any time in the day. All other roads in the area have been dug up by the blessings of BWSSB. The Horamavu - ORR stretch is virtually non existent due to dug up roads since one year. I share your grief in the absolute apathy shown by BBMP towards this area.
Now commuting on the Madiwala market road is such a relief. All the hawkers have been accommodated in the adjacent building. Earlier they used to encroach on the footpath that driving/riding was a pain. This should be the way going forward. No inconvenience to public nor inconvenience to hawkers.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 18:06   #16515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Now commuting on the Madiwala market road is such a relief. All the hawkers have been accommodated in the adjacent building. Earlier they used to encroach on the footpath that driving/riding was a pain. This should be the way going forward. No inconvenience to public nor inconvenience to hawkers.
There is regular patrol by police to keep the hawkers at bay. Even now people try to sell on carts, but police ensure that they are moved to the inside part. They also ensure the opening of shops towards the road remains closed. All in all a very good move to declutter the madivala market road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks