Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2018, 21:22   #16591
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Returned from a trip to Palakkad today. After exiting the Attibele toll around 3:50pm, I thought the rest of the journey into the city won't be bad (due to lesser traffic) but I was horribly wrong. But the reason wasn't heavy traffic but the never ending infrastructure work!
First choke point was on the BETL 200m before the point where it becomes single lane. Everyone tries to edge the vehicle on their left or right to get ahead. Took almost 40 minutes to reach Silk board junction. Since I had some work near the CBD area I headed straight on Hosur road (I thought it will anyway be faster than going home via Koramangala given the flyover construction work there). I was wrong again - was surprised by the slow moving traffic due to white topping work with a bit near Forum Mall and then a stretch near MICO factory I reached Residency road junction at 5:30pm, shudder to think how bad this could be on a normal weekday evening outside the year end holiday season.
Old 25th December 2018, 19:46   #16592
Senior - BHPian

Saw an interesting thing last week. In the mornings on hebbal flyover, there is a traffic policeman directing traffic. I guess there will be a traffic signal on top of the flyover soon. Would that be a world first??
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 20:01   #16593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Saw an interesting thing last week. In the mornings on hebbal flyover, there is a traffic policeman directing traffic. I guess there will be a traffic signal on top of the flyover soon. Would that be a world first??

Nope, the Richmond road flyover holds that record.
speedmiester is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2018, 20:10   #16594
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Thankfully that system has been done away with.
When it was active, one could enter the up ramp from Richmond road and get down on to Mission Road and traffic coming up from Double Road would get down on to Residency road so there was a criss-cross of traffic movement that necessitated a manual signal with a cop managing it.
Old 25th December 2018, 20:12   #16595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I think you need to see the junction in Tindivanam (towards Pondy), you will find a proper roundabout with signals over the top of the flyover. I don't know if it was constructed before the Richmond road wonder.
Old 26th December 2018, 10:02   #16596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This was at around 10.30am today. Traffic towards Hosur was bad and the block was almost a km long.

Attachment 1830000

Attachment 1830001
I am guessing that keeping vehicles in a single lane has resulted in zero accidents. If so, it would be a good idea to have this one lane system implemented permanently.

Here's what I think should be implemented - use one side of the 2 lane going to Silk Board split into two single lanes going in opposite directions for LMV and 2 wheelers, the other two lanes now going towards Electronic City should have Heavy vehicles like trucks and buses, one lane in each direction.

Since we've the BETL designed and built so illogically, trying out this for a while should not be too hard a decision.
Old 26th December 2018, 10:15   #16597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
If so, it would be a good idea to have this one lane system implemented permanently.
I guess that will increase the number of accidents even further . When I was driving on that single lane, I had a tough time as there was a slow moving bike in front of me. People were honking and the small lane made things difficult for me to overtake.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 10:18   #16598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I have also started seeing two wheelers coming from the opposite direction under the marthahalli flyover on ORR.
From Manipal Hospital till Diamond District the OA Road carriageway towards Trinity sees a steady stream of such vehicles - bikes, cars/taxis, autos, pickups etc. A lane is almost dedicated for them.

And once you turn off onto IRR towards Koramangala then at least till EGL main gate it is the same story.
Old 27th December 2018, 15:36   #16599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kutte ki poonch kabhi seedhi nahi hoti
Literal meaning "Dogs tail can never be straight" or in the context bad habits don't get mended can be seen on 29th Main BTM near the Madivala lake. After the closure of the gap in the median near Gud Dhani restaurant the auto's, bikes, and sometimes taxis have starting driving the wrong side trying to avoid the u-turn just few meters ahead near the park entrance. Last night traveling on the bike had a narrow escape from hitting another scooter who didn't have the headlight on.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20181227-15_28_56google-maps.png
Old 27th December 2018, 19:54   #16600
BHPian

A biker makes BMTC bus take reverse after it enters road from wrong way

We need more such instances and awareness. Take a bow faceless chap.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th December 2018 at 20:01. Reason: No need to mention for mods to delete if not relevant :)
Thilak29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 11:40   #16601
Distinguished - BHPian

Won't get too many chances to say this, so must say am LOVING the traffic these days! This is the number of people Bangalore should have all year round! Such a breeze getting to and back from work. We really need to develop alternate job centers around Bangalore (or stop producing so many of us, but that's a touchy topic). Really enjoy staying in Bangalore during this low season. It's like a holiday in itself!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 12:30   #16602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Won't get too many chances to say this, so must say am LOVING the traffic these days! This is the number of people Bangalore should have all year round! Such a breeze getting to and back from work. We really need to develop alternate job centers around Bangalore (or stop producing so many of us, but that's a touchy topic). Really enjoy staying in Bangalore during this low season. It's like a holiday in itself!
And the most important thing to note is BMTC, which is the de facto traffic villain for many of the car owners here in this thread is running in full force. The lovely, cool and breezy traffic we see this week is purely because the cars are out of the roads.
ashokrajagopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 12:34   #16603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
And the most important thing to note is BMTC, which is the de facto traffic villain for many of the car owners here in this thread is running in full force. The lovely, cool and breezy traffic we see this week is purely because the cars are out of the roads.
Oh absolutely! I actually took the bus on a couple of days because there was no pressing need to get to work on time and I wanted to try it out. Had to switch buses, but it was a breeze, still took less time to get to work than it would by car on a normal full-traffic day!

The sheer number of cars, both personal and cabs are certainly the issue here. Better roads, electric vehicles, elevated roads is not going to do it. It's obvious that the best solution is to get cars off the roads, even cabs. I really think a dedicated bus lane, STRICTLY enforced, with frequent buses also STRICTLY enforced, is the first step. That will both incentivize public transport and penalize private car usage because of decreased road space for them. (I have a car too, so not targeting, just stating a fact.) Long-term, obviously a metro.

Last edited by am1m : 28th December 2018 at 12:41.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 17:25   #16604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
So does that absolve BMTC from following any traffic rules and discipline?
And it is not the car owners, but also media which agrees that BMTC is no saint
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...nts-2018-94003
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/62559505.cms
Old 28th December 2018, 20:24   #16605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
So does that absolve BMTC from following any traffic rules and discipline?
And it is not the car owners, but also media which agrees that BMTC is no saint
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...nts-2018-94003
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/62559505.cms
Of course not, reckless driving is not to be excused.
The cause of heavy traffic is the number of cars. That's the only thing I was pointing out, as is evident on holiday seasons

Last edited by ashokrajagopal : 28th December 2018 at 20:26.
ashokrajagopal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed