Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2019, 22:00   #16771
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
I attempted to come through this and through the city to reach North Bangalore. I am delighted to report that I set a new World Record of taking 3 hours 15 minutes to cover the next 30 kms.
I can beat that, it once took me 2 hours to loop 4 kms (got into the Silk'y Board junction), all I had to do was reach BTM and loop back into the city side via the same Junk-shun. Took 2 hours and some odd minutes to reach Tavarakere signal. That was the stuff of nightmares. We're talking driving speeds of 2 kmph compared to your very decent 9.xx.

Traffic today is maniacal, what is it all of a sudden? Is the phase of the moon driving people into insanity? Every autorick, bike and cab were driving like total loons when I was out and about, and I picked a very opportune occasion to go to IRR, crazy jam.

Why do auto drivers run me up the wall in highly clogged roads? if they're behind they honk, if they're ahead they bend space-time by going at minus speeds. I'm open to their challenge in their hi-tech machines on a long race track, I'll even give them a 5 minute head start to get their racing adrenaline pumping before I cross the finish line miles before they do.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 16:42   #16772
BHPian

Traffic alert
Pile up on the BETL towards silk board starting from the lay bye. Not sure of the reason, stuck on it for the past 20 mins. Avoid if possible.

P.S: Spotted a fellow bhpian in a red I20 first gen stuck along with me (the multiple stickers gave it away). Did try getting your attention by flashing and honking at you. Might have rubbed you the wrong way, I was the guy in the Figo right next to you.

Last edited by Mukund : 15th February 2019 at 16:43.
Old 15th February 2019, 21:27   #16773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Traffic alert
Pile up on the BETL towards silk board starting from the lay bye. Not sure of the reason, stuck on it for the past 20 mins. Avoid if possible.
You may have found out the reason by now. There was some retarring activity being done on Silk Board fly over. And traffic was restricted to one line. When I crossed the place at around 1800Hrs today (towards E.City) I could see a big pile up of vehicles on the elevated highway. To be honest, I felt "lucky" that I was going on in the opposite direction.

PS: Which also reminds me to check the route on Saturday, because they may have started the work on the other side of the road.
Old 15th February 2019, 22:19   #16774
BHPian

Anyone noticed that speed limit on BETL has been reduced from 80 kmph to 60 kmph after the maintenance work which was going on till a few days ago.
jayantvs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 21:54   #16775
BHPian

^^^
When did that happen? Has BETL put up new speed limit boards now? Or are these temporary speed limits?
Old 16th February 2019, 21:56   #16776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
Anyone noticed that speed limit on BETL has been reduced from 80 kmph to 60 kmph after the maintenance work which was going on till a few days ago.
Yes, noticed today while I took BETL.

But cars move at same speeds as before, and I didn’t spot any interceptors.
Old 18th February 2019, 12:13   #16777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Yes, noticed today while I took BETL.
But cars move at same speeds as before, and I didn’t spot any interceptors.
There were interceptors there on Friday. But yes, cars were moving at the same speed and no one was stopped. Probably they are giving people some time to adjust. I slowed down as soon as I saw the limit and people started giving me angry stares

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101 View Post
^^^
When did that happen? Has BETL put up new speed limit boards now? Or are these temporary speed limits?
I noticed it last week and there are more boards now with the new speed limit. They look permanent.

I don't understand the logic behind this. Forget about the new speed limit, I hardly saw only a handful of cars following the 80 kmph speed limit during non peak hours unless they spot the interceptor. Lets see how the authorities are going to implement it. And believe me maintaining a speed of 60 kmph on that 2-lane road during non peak hours is difficult when cars zoom pass you at 90-100 kmph.
Old 18th February 2019, 12:35   #16778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs
There were interceptors there on Friday. But yes, cars were moving at the same speed and no one was stopped. Probably they are giving people some time to adjust.
Don't know if interceptors have factored in the new speed limit. Generally the traffic police sets their speed limits based on the written orders coming from the government or from their own senior officials. Where as BETL folks may have just assumed that they would put some speed restriction boards by themselves and hope the drivers would start following it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk
Which also reminds me to check the route on Saturday, because they may have started the work on the other side of the road.
Monday morning, and Google Maps promised a +28 min delay due to congestion on elevated fly over. Today's morning journey reached very close to my "Chandapura-ITPL records". Left home at 0800Hrs to reach office (22kms away) at 0940Hrs. The silk board fly over is getting re-tarred and the road towards the city is now a one-lane.

Adding two snaps. The second one was the "icing on the cake". .
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-silkboard_1.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-tavarakere_1.jpg  

Last edited by sachinpk : 18th February 2019 at 12:37. Reason: Edited the post to get the text above the images.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 16:58   #16779
BHPian

Quote:
...I noticed it last week and there are more boards now with the new speed limit. They look permanent.

I don't understand the logic behind this. Forget about the new speed limit, I hardly saw only a handful of cars following the 80 kmph speed limit during non peak hours unless they spot the interceptor. ....
Agree maintaining 60 kmph on that road is tough when you have all other vehicles overtaking you the moment they realise you are driving slower than them during off peak hours.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th February 2019 at 17:26. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 18th February 2019, 17:03   #16780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101 View Post
Agree maintaining 60 kmph on that road is tough when you have all other vehicles overtaking you the moment they realise you are driving slower than them during off peak hours.
I suppose they are not stopping KA plate cars. In my TN plate car, I was stopped for doing 90 on the BETL, and told the posted speed limit is 80. While I was talking to the officer, a KA plate etios cab was roaring down at a much higher speed, he didn't bat an eyelid.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 17:14   #16781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I suppose they are not stopping KA plate cars. In my TN plate car, I was stopped for doing 90 on the BETL, and told the posted speed limit is 80. While I was talking to the officer, a KA plate etios cab was roaring down at a much higher speed, he didn't bat an eyelid.
Somehow I feel a few officers are bit lenient towards cabs. There is always a drunk driving check near Wells Fargo on ORR but I always see the cabs are let go without any check 90% of the times and private vehicles are mostly targeted. Could be my perception.

I see equal number of KA and non-KA vehicles being stopped for speeding on BETL.
jayantvs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 19:10   #16782
Senior - BHPian

Cabs, Autos and other commercial vehicles generally pay upfront. So cops don't bother about trivial offenses unless there is a major accident. BMTC don't have to pay due to informal intergovernmental ties. 2-wheelers get by mainly due to swarming phenomenon. So end of the day, it is only private 4-wheelers who get caught for trivial offenses, TN/ KA doesn't matter, what does is the look of the driver.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 19:40   #16783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Cabs, Autos and other commercial vehicles generally pay upfront. So cops don't bother about trivial offenses unless there is a major accident. BMTC don't have to pay due to informal intergovernmental ties. 2-wheelers get by mainly due to swarming phenomenon. So end of the day, it is only private 4-wheelers who get caught for trivial offenses, TN/ KA doesn't matter, what does is the look of the driver.
The one time I was caught, I was clean shaven and driving my fiesta. These days I have a moustache and short clipped hair, and I drive a scorpio. Haven't been stopped once yet when driving the Scorpio.

Some weeks back, I had parked near Krishnagiri by the side of the highway to check my email, and there was a police Bolero parked nearby.

A constable came over and very respectfully asked if I was going to their station, and if so he could guide me. We had a good laugh when I told him I was a civilian and had just stopped to answer an email.
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 21:17   #16784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Some weeks back, I had parked near Krishnagiri by the side of the highway to check my email, and there was a police Bolero parked nearby.
TN Highway Police squads are the best .
#1: They are always out there on the highways. Yes, they could be parked on the curb, but they are there day & night.
#2: They generally do reach quickly to accident spots, and I have also seen them instructing trucks etc. to get to certain marked places to park and the drivers to take rest.
#3. Their aim seems to be ensure smooth flow of vehicles, not raising MV Petty cases and increase revenue of TN state . If they really want to enforce MV Act, especially (183 & 184 etc. for over speeding etc); they can really cause jitters to the usual KA-KL drivers.
#4. Their focus on "visible policing". Day or night, I have seen them moving or parked with their light bars put on.

KL on the other hand also have lots of Highway Police squads, they too are there on the roads 24/7; but also with a motive of charging MV Petty cases.
sachinpk is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 23:48   #16785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There were interceptors there on Friday. But yes, cars were moving at the same speed and no one was stopped.

Yesterday I took BETL after long time and was surprised to see the 60Kmph limit. Many vehicles were flagged down by the interceptors for over speeding.

This was around 2:15 PM.

Most Viewed