Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2019, 07:04   #16861
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Is it just my imagination or has the absolute disregard for traffic laws increased in the last year? My office is in a very busy part of town (Chord Road) and I get to see the following happen all the time (mostly two wheelers)

- Vehicles stopped for a red light just wait for traffic to ease and take off even if the light is still red for them
- Triple riding on 2 wheelers mostly all of them without helmets

There are traffic guys around but they seem helpless/don't even care about these "small" violations
jaganm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 14:05   #16862
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

*Not sure if this has been posted earlier and when this traffic movement scheme was introduced, saw it this morning on my way towards Electronics City

Update on one ways in Koramangala:
For those going from Indiranagar side via Inner Ring Road towards Electronics City), if your destination is Silk Board and beyond via Inner Ring Road, then you have to turn left onto Sarjapura Road at the Koramangala water tank junction (signal after BDA complex) and then turn right onto Madiwala market road near Krupanidhi college.

The stretch of Sarjapura Road from the HP petrol bunk near St. Johns hospital all the way to Krupanidhi college junction is a one way

Madiwala market road is a one way from Krupanidhi college to Hosur Road junction

Hence, if you reach Krupanidhi college junction on Sarjapura Road from HSR or Koramangala 80 feet Road (near Police Quarters), you will be forced to make a left turn onto Madiwala market road

Service road to left at the end of Inner Ring Road (opposite the Ayyappan temple) where it meets Hosur Road is blocked, so if you're heading towards Ecity, etc turn left onto Sarjapur Road at Koramangala water tank junction signal.

*If you're heading to BTM layout you can still take Inner Ring Road till the end and turn right onto service Road, merge onto Hosur Road and then turn left onto Maruthi Nagar Road (nothing changes here)

*If you're on Hosur Road and want to enter Koramangala, you take the service road near Ayyappan temple and turn right onto Inner Ring Road (nothing changes here)

Last edited by NPV : 24th March 2019 at 14:12.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 18:00   #16863
Senior - BHPian

A truck has skipped the divider and collided with the sidewall of the Kadubesanahalli subway, going towards Marathahalli. This is causing slow moving traffic for close to a km.
Old 25th March 2019, 20:20   #16864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
A truck has skipped the divider and collided with the sidewall of the Kadubesanahalli subway, going towards Marathahalli.
This is the result of poor road design together with lack of warning signs
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2019_0325_145200_006.jpg  

airbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 20:27   #16865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
This is the result of poor road design together with lack of warning signs
There are no lane markings. No surprise that wherever they drive, that is the lane
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 21:32   #16866
BHPian

^^Not to mention, no or poor streetlighting.

Poor road and grade-separator design, 0 or illogical lane markings, poor or no streetlighting compounded further by idiots with high-beam on, are all factors that cause such mishaps.

Not excusing them, but I've actually come to believe that the reason so many idiots in Blore drive with the high-beam, is bcoz of poor streetlighting in the first place.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 08:32   #16867
Distinguished - BHPian

KEMPEGOWDA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT ROAD’S VEHICLE SPEED TRACKER GOES MIA

Someone wanted to use this to teach math at home ?
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 08:52   #16868
BHPian

So a cousin of mine, who has just completed her 12th is super keen to move to Bangalore for her further studies. She is from a small town in UP and has never been to Bangalore. Her mom told me that my cousin has an almost utopia like image of Bangalore plus the benefit of me living here (apparently I am like her perfect role model elder brother - God knows why).

Last week I had a long phone call with her trying to reason why only Bangalore. I was not trying to dissuade her from moving to Bangalore but in fact trying to bring her closer to reality. And sometime during that conversation, it struck me, how many common things are actually luxuries in 'modern Bangalore'.

-Taking an Auto. With the Auto drivers charging anywhere between 100-200/- even for 2KMs, it is definitely a luxury to travel in an Auto.
-Breathing fresh Air. Especially in the 'world class IT Corridor' of ORR, I am sure I inhale more dust per breath here than I would do in an entire year in my humble hometown - a Tier 3 city.
-Having the same route for going to and coming back from a place. May not seem to be much of a hassle, but the sheer number of one-ways and u-turns in Bangalore make commuting and remembering routes difficult.
-Doing multiple trips to the markets during a day. At home, we can go for the first round of shopping after breakfast and be back by lunch. Then go for a quick round after lunch and be back for the tea and post tea, maybe have another trip to the market. Here, you only go once.
-Water crisis and paying through my nose for a basic requirement like clean, regular water supply.
-Having well laid, well lit roads it a distant dream here.
-The freedom of just taking your car/bike at a moments notice and going for a long drive without being stuck in mile long queues at the Tolls, more so if it is a long weekend.
-The hassle-free flying in and out experience. In my hometown, if the flight departs at 5:30PM, we usually have the evening tea at 4:30PM, leave home at 4:45PM and are at the airport at 4:55PM. Here, for the same flight, I would leave at 2:30PM. The same is true while flying into Bangalore. The flight duration is usually less than the taxi ride duration to reach home and not to mention the exorbitant fares.

Enough of the ranting, back to the mundane life now.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 26th March 2019 at 08:54.
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 09:00   #16869
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday while climbing the airport flyover after Esteem Mall came across an auto with headlights on coming the wrong way in the fast lane :-(. Was totally amazed but luckily I was in the middle lane, and saw him at a distance. A couple of cars behind me were forced to brake hard and move away.

I despair for such idiots who will definitely kill themselves BUT take other unfortunate souls with them.
Old 26th March 2019, 09:01   #16870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
so many idiots in Blore drive with the high-beam, is bcoz of poor streetlighting in the first place.
Actually I think otherwise. If you note, most of the guys driving with a high beam are taxis, tempos and buses. These drivers are highly experiences with many lakhs of kms under their belt. So they must know something that eludes ordinary drivers like us who clock about 50,000 kms per year. The high beam lights up far away and are of no use to see the potholes in Bengaluru. I find the high beam useful only at speeds above 80kmph.

Hence there must be a different reason which I have been trying to identify with no insights. Perhaps the more experienced drivers could advice about the reason for high beam at crawling speed?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd April 2019 at 08:49. Reason: line spacing
Old 26th March 2019, 09:27   #16871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Her mom told me that my cousin has an almost utopia like image of Bangalore...Last week I had a long phone call with her trying to reason why only Bangalore.
All your points are very true, but for a young person, Bangalore is indeed a great and vibrant city.

I really enjoyed Bangalore in my teens and 20s, it's when I entered my 30s and the daily routine kicked in that I began to consider the other aspects like the pollution, commute, etc and no longer consider it an ideal place to live. A lot of younger teammates I get to interact with daily too absolutely love life here.

Also, another thing we tend to forget, especially as men and as city-bred men is the lifestyle that women often have in small towns. From conversations with several female colleagues who grew up in small towns and have moved to Bangalore for work, I understand that life back home was not exactly ideal and they much prefer the freedom and opportunities that a city like Bangalore offers them. From my interactions with professionals over nearly 20 years, I find that it's usually the men who dream of 'going back home to their village someday', none of the women colleagues from smaller towns want to return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
These drivers are highly experiences with many lakhs of kms under their belt.
Cabbies are certainly more experienced at operating the vehicle, about driving one, I don't think so. They learn to move the vehicle from one point to the other, I doubt any of them actually know most of the road rules.

Last edited by am1m : 26th March 2019 at 09:31.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 09:36   #16872
BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps the more experienced drivers could advice about the reason for high beam at crawling speed?
1.They don't bother.
2.They were not taught
3.They don't understand
4.They were not caught
5.They are just Indians
aadya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 09:38   #16873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Yesterday while climbing the airport flyover after Esteem Mall came across an auto with headlights on coming the wrong way in the fast lane :-(.
There is no rule or guidelines on how to drive the other way in a one-way road. Should I stick to the fast lane or slow lane? No school teaches that. We need to update our driving manuals.
Quote:
Perhaps the more experienced drivers could advice about the reason for high beam at crawling speed?
No, I don't do more than 20,000 a year. Let me take a guess. High beam will aid to spot pedestrian and dogs, by the side of the road early. Not that they will slow down but will help them to honk early.

Last edited by msdivy : 26th March 2019 at 09:43.
Old 26th March 2019, 12:16   #16874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
We need to update our driving manuals.
My wife recently went to a driving school. What the instructor told her was how to overtake, how to use the horn (all the time), how to shift gears, how to use the foot pedals etc. Nothing about road signs, signage, traffic rules, silent zones, lane discipline, speeding or anything that we are talking about here. So, no wonder we see drivers who are driving the way they do.

Definitely need to update the Driving schools syllabus. Also, have a re-test mandatory when Driving license expires (maybe make it expire sooner that it is currently) It will go a long way, IMHO

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd April 2019 at 08:50. Reason: line spacing
Old 26th March 2019, 13:28   #16875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Also, have a re-test mandatory when Driving license expires (maybe make it expire sooner that it is currently) It will go a long way, IMHO
Good idea but will not happen!

Too many people to be retested and too few inspectors. Even in the UK, you need to book your test well in advance unless you find a vacant slot in some remote testing area.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks