Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2019, 10:18   #17191
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
The number of accidents that have happened there! And I can imagine how: Trucks idiotically stick to the right lane in our state with the police doing nothing about it, and the driver (likely unfamiliar with the area) mustn't have been able to see the inner slip lanes from afar (thanks to the great streetlighting in our city), and must have wanted to go up the flyover. Must have made last minute swerve, and bang!

I bet on this theory more than the drunk or sleepy theory, given the number of repeat accidents at this same spot (and also at Intel flyover, similar situation)

They ought to fix mast lighting, and mark lanes sensibly. Split off slip lanes need to have a thick and solid lane marking, not dashed. But will our BTP/BBMP/BDA ever learn?

But you can bet the cops will propagate the drunk or sleepy theory. And the city will relieve itself of all responsibility.
This is what must have happened again!
Old 6th June 2019, 10:19   #17192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
2. Truck accident near HSR flyover towards Silk board causing a jam.
Result of this breakdown on ORR is this,

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screen-shot-20190606-10.16.19-am.png

Last edited by strawhat : 6th June 2019 at 10:33.
Old 6th June 2019, 11:36   #17193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
.... If you look at a single episode of the crime then the bigger ones seem worse, but when taken in toto, the smaller more easily enforceable crimes tip the scales...
I don't disagree, they're mostly chasing low-hanging fruit.

Just got booked for 'overspeeding' the other day. Was doing the posted 60 kmph limit on an ORR stretch near Nagarbhavi, the interceptor was strategically parked at the bottom of a downhill section (like they often are), and their radar indicated I was doing 64 kmph approaching them downhill. Technically my fault so didn't bother arguing. There were about half a dozen cops and assorted helpers flagging people down, but helmet-less riders and unbelted car drivers were given a pass unless they were 'overspeeding' too.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 11:42   #17194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There were about half a dozen cops and assorted helpers flagging people down, but helmet-less riders and unbelted car drivers were given a pass unless they were 'overspeeding' too.
That is a big loop hole of BTP. Their mind is so set in meeting the quota of fines for a particular offence on a particular day, that they don't bother about other rule breakers who go right past them. I have noticed this too often and it is like their handheld devices are programmed for one offence on one day and another one for another day.
Old 6th June 2019, 12:51   #17195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I don't disagree, they're mostly chasing low-hanging fruit.

Just got booked for 'overspeeding' the other day. Was doing the posted 60 kmph limit on an ORR stretch near Nagarbhavi, the interceptor was strategically parked at the bottom of a downhill section (like they often are), and their radar indicated I was doing 64 kmph approaching them downhill. Technically my fault so didn't bother arguing.
The ORR stretch between gorguntepalaya and Nayandahalli is a sure shot stretch to find speed interceptors from 9 AM to 5-5.30 PM on most days including Sundays. Some days I have even seen 3 in a row- one each around Rajkumar samadhi, before Nagarbhavi and approaching Nayandahalli. All strategically positioned after flyovers or descending stretches where you inadvertently tend to pick up the pace. I got trapped once by the one standing near Rajkumar samadhi. It was a day when I had to battle bumper to bumper traffic all the way from BEL circle upto post the signal at Gorguntepalaya and the moment I did stretch my legs a bit after that, I was flagged down. The speed according to their radar was 80kmph while coming down the flyover. Did not bother to argue- just paid up and proceeded.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 12:57   #17196
BHPian

Hosa Road was completely choked out today from 9:30 AM. It took 2 hours for me to reach Electronics City. Any idea what was the reason?
Old 6th June 2019, 14:01   #17197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Did not bother to argue- just paid up and proceeded.
Been a few years since I paid a speeding fine in BLR. What are the costs now and is there a sliding scale for exceeding the speed limit + 10, 20, 30 km/hr etc?
Old 6th June 2019, 14:14   #17198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Better to park some permanent cranes at that location. Just passed the flyover and could see some black material spilled on the road , hope it’s not oil. Oil on roads with rains is a very hazardous combo.
Well, a blinker along with reflectors/ cat eye should avoid recurrence of accidents here. I am well familiar with this road and still it was scary on night of elections when driving around there after rains.

Since wet concrete wall of flyover attains a darker shade, one need to be very careful. For those who are not familiar with road, it is a sure shot disaster.

A crane is very much required at this section to avoid traffic pileup due to vehicle breakdowns which happens regularly.

Does anyone know what is the condition of trucker? The accident looked bad in morning.

What you mentioned is oil / diesel from the truck I guess. You can see the same in pics I got through WhatsApp for same.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20190606wa0014.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 14:29   #17199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
A crane is very much required at this section to avoid traffic pileup due to vehicle breakdowns which happens regularly.

Does anyone know what is the condition of trucker? The accident looked bad in morning.

What you mentioned is oil / diesel from the truck I guess. You can see the same in pics I got through WhatsApp for same.
As per the reports on radio who got this info from the police, the trucker is fine with some injuries. This incident happened at 4am and the trucker fell asleep reportedly. How do the truckers fall asleep at the same exact point? Why can't the BTP or whoever is responsible just own up and resolve this is beyond me.
Most of the stretches in the ORR are very poorly lit, it is scary to drive through at night knowing that at many places people just dart across the road.
The oil spilt on the road was cleared by the time I crossed that section (9:45 am, started at 8:15 from Bellandur) and some of the goods he was carrying, iron rods presumably, was in a heap on the side of the road.
It is scary how an incident that happened at 4am can cause havoc 6hrs later.
I knew about this beforehand but had no choice but to go through this. The other option i had was via harlur road where a truck broke down.
Mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 14:52   #17200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
As per the reports on radio who got this info from the police, the trucker is fine with some injuries. This incident happened at 4am and the trucker fell asleep reportedly. How do the truckers fall asleep at the same exact point? Why can't the BTP or whoever is responsible just own up and resolve this is beyond me.
To prevent this, put a lane barricade towards Agara starting 0.5 km from the flyover. Sleepy drivers could hit the barricade and it will stop those dastardly taxis trying to butt into the queue at the last minute.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 15:21   #17201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Been a few years since I paid a speeding fine in BLR. What are the costs now and is there a sliding scale for exceeding the speed limit + 10, 20, 30 km/hr etc?
Speeding fine is Rs.300/-
Not sure about any incremental fines with an increase in speed. I guess it is a flat fee of 300 irrespective of what speed you are caught at. If the speed is too much, maybe the officer in charge can add on another offense' dangerous driving' and charge an additional fee, not sure though.
Old 6th June 2019, 15:39   #17202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
To prevent this, put a lane barricade towards Agara starting 0.5 km from the flyover. Sleepy drivers could hit the barricade and it will stop those dastardly taxis trying to butt into the queue at the last minute.
The truck drivers part i agree with, the queue jumping morons part not quite. That problem will only be advanced by 0.5km and cause a pile up till Iblur. The permanent solution is to use only the left entrance to Agara and barricade it till Iblur service road!
Old 6th June 2019, 16:54   #17203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Most of the stretches in the ORR are very poorly lit, it is scary to drive through at night knowing that at many places people just dart across the road.
The oil spilt on the road was cleared by the time I crossed that section (9:45 am, started at 8:15 from Bellandur) and some of the goods he was carrying, iron rods presumably, was in a heap on the side of the road.
It is scary how an incident that happened at 4am can cause havoc 6hrs later.
I knew about this beforehand but had no choice but to go through this. The other option i had was via harlur road where a truck broke down.
Exactly. This "fell asleep" theory is all bogus, just a way to let themselves (BTP) off the hook. See my post here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4585423

(except as someone correctly said, it should be dashed marking, not solid). But the exit lane separator marking there should be thickened and with studs. Just like the Exit lanes in the US and elsewhere in the developed world.

Last edited by vharihar : 6th June 2019 at 16:56.
Old 6th June 2019, 18:12   #17204
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Wow, I am amused by the suggestions on this thread- put up blinker with reflectors, lane barricades & exit lane markings!
This is Bangalore folks!!
We can keep on dreaming but city authorities are busy counting tax collections & distributing it to self & so called social schemes. No one is bothered about traffic, an injured trucker & few lakhs mango people who spent their morning in this parking lot called ORR.

No sorry, as this thread is for Rant😃
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 19:07   #17205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Wow, I am amused by the suggestions on this thread- put up blinker with reflectors, lane barricades & exit lane markings!
Most accidents I see on this point or similar locations is always at wee hours.

Either probably the traffic was low and the driver was fast and did not notice the exit or the lighting was so bad that he missed it and got hit. We can debate as to why he may have missed. My take is a combination of fatigue, rashness and dim lighting.

Another point if you note, is that accident always happens on the right side. Which goes on to say the driver sticks to right side, probably because of speed.

One solution can be to disable the right side exit by design (like what has been done at Ecospace?). But I can only dream of the horror and chaos it would end up creating.

Last edited by ampere : 6th June 2019 at 19:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks