Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2019, 12:29   #17236
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Went to the airport today. The diversion actually shortens time or seemed like that. At the first roundabout, turn right and then you turn left onto a three lane highway. The only thing is that there is a traffic light junction midway but you drive straight onto departure or right to arrival.

it was a breeze, however what it will be like in heavy traffic needs to be seen. The NHAI might cry since there really seems no need to justify paying the return toll. After the three-later, turn left then right and take the Village Road. Probably adds up the same as waiting for the toll. However, not advisable at night.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2019, 20:04   #17237
BHPian

Re: Query: NICE Road - Bangalore

Seeing a lot of cows on roads lately in Bangalore and usually at same spots.(madiwala market etc)

Was used to seeing this in northern parts of India. I wonder why this phenomenon is not seen in kerala roads.
Old 16th June 2019, 20:48   #17238
Distinguished - BHPian

It's been an interesting experience driving across Bangalore roads on a bike over the last 10 days. A few observations from a Mumbaikar

- Folks are way more considerate and good drivers during off hours but then become impatient animals during peak office hours
- Lane discipline seems to be a lost cause; people serve from the rightmost lane to take a left (and visa versa), all on the whims of the indicator and horns
- Plastic hats that one sees in a construction site somehow seems to be an acceptable helmet on Bangalore roads! Many times without any straps!
- Digging up roads seem to be a favorite thing to do across the city
ninjatalli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 09:07   #17239
BHPian

The tomtom traffic congestion index, Mumbai comes topper. Looks like Bengaluru is not in the index.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/traffic-index/ranking/
Old 17th June 2019, 20:55   #17240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Went to the airport today. The diversion actually shortens time or seemed like that.
We were diverted through this road on our return from airport today. Agree with you, the 6 lane road is wonderful and expressway like. The only issue as also pointed by you is its not signal free unlike the main carriageway. Congestion at peak hours can get annoying because of it.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 21:53   #17241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
...Bengaluru is not in the index....
One can only presume Bengaluru traffic broke Tom Tom's mechanism, because there's no way in two hells it doesn't make the list.

Continuing in a lighter vein, the secret to the omission may lie in their stated measurement methodology. Bengaluru's congestion is so random they probably got no reliable measurements! What mechanism in the world can explain the same stretch of road taking anywhere from minutes to hours to cross, based on what side of the bed you got out of on the day or another equally absurd reason?

Quote:
An overall congestion level of 36% means that the extra travel time is 36% more than an average trip would take during uncongested conditions. Average times are of actual taken trips, across every vehicle in the entire network, 24/7. Travel times in free-flow (uncongested) conditions are not based on speed limits but on actual trips made.

We also perform the same calculations for individual hours of each day of the week, so it’s possible to see how high congestion levels are in each city during the busiest times of the day, including morning and evening peak hours.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th June 2019 at 21:59.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 23:36   #17242
BHPian

On a Sunday afternoon in March this year I was driving through a place in Bangalore called pattandur Agrahara near back gate of ITPL. Suddenly one biker (looked like food delivery guys) chased me and was trying to stop me.
I didn't stop and out of nowhere near Inorbit Mall similar to movies a Tata Sumo, Force Travellermake their appearance and block my car One person steps out of a white VW Polo( from where he came I don't know) starts shouting at me as to why I didn't stop car as he had seen me dragging helmet. Now the biker who was chasing me reached and started saying that the helmet belonged to him. He wanted money for new helmet and the person in VW Polo searches for helmet in Google and shows him whether this helmet is same to which the biker says yes . Later I was asked to shell out a good Ransom. I know about status of Police ( Police station was less than 100 meters) so I felt better to give money and leave the place in peace.

P.S : I didn't hit any bike that day. Being outsider it easy to extract money.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 19th June 2019 at 23:38.
Old 20th June 2019, 07:15   #17243
Senior - BHPian

Today, its the pedestrians who are showing road rage. There was this whole 'paltan' of IT employees crossing the road, where the Government has constructed a superb skywalk. I had to slam on the brakes really hard to avoid hitting them, and ended up getting the choices of abuses in Hindi. The rage was so unreal, I thought I was looking at some zombies. Before they could pelt stones and burn my car, I scooted from there.
Old 20th June 2019, 09:27   #17244
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night, while I was getting on to my bike to leave for home from the basement parking at work, saw a guy on a scooter going up the entry ramp to exit the basement! Now this basement parking is actually reasonably well designed with separate exit and entry ramps, enough ramps for both, each clearly labelled with enough visible signage leading to one, arrows on the ground, etc, and finally, all the exit ramps basically feed into one road out of the building and one road from the building to the main road.

So there was absolutely nothing to be gained by going the wrong way on a ramp! At least on the road, if someone goes the wrong way, they might be gaining some time and cutting distance, but here, it made no sense, it was like a teenager breaking rules just for the sake of doing so! And not to mention, at that time of the night, the cabbies come down that ramp like wannabe F1 drivers, so this (helmetless) chappie was running a real risk.

Can't fathom the brainlessness, scary that we share the road with such people operating high speed vehicles.

Last edited by am1m : 20th June 2019 at 09:29.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 11:06   #17245
Team-BHP Support

Why agitate to get a skywalk bridge, when you're going to do a hurdles race right below it anyway? What's the morbid fascination with risking one's life and limb to save 10 seconds?

There are a few of these on my regular route to office, and even a few feet tall barrier doesn't dissuade people from precariously climbing across while traffic moves within feet of their face and butt.

There's of course the almighty hand advertised in the Ceat Tyre commercial. Just put a hand up and a force field will protect you.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 08:18   #17246
BHPian

Sarajapur Road is jammed near Carmelaram area. This was at 7:30am. Not sure of the reason. While taking U turn near lenskart, observed lot of police vehicles and a fire engine vehicle standing inside the IOC petrol bunk. Looks like some fire accident.
Old 21st June 2019, 08:37   #17247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
One can only presume Bengaluru traffic broke Tom Tom's mechanism, because there's no way in two hells it doesn't make the list.
Or maybe the folks from Tom Tom are still stuck in traffic

I agree there is no way that Bangalore doesnt make it to the list.
Old 21st June 2019, 08:53   #17248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
- Folks are way more considerate and good drivers during off hours but then become impatient animals during peak office hours
Being a Mumbaikar in Bangalore for the last nine years, I have a completely different experience. Traffic or no traffic, people are inconsiderate and yes do become brainless animals in peak traffic. Maybe from a biker's point of view, it is a little better as you need lesser space to navigate. But driving a car day in and day out in Bangalore is way more worse than in Mumbai, which I now find more civilized and orderly. Two wheelers are splattered across the width of arterial roads, no matter how wide the road is.
Old 21st June 2019, 09:17   #17249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
But driving a car day in and day out in Bangalore is way more worse than in Mumbai, which I now find more civilized and orderly.
I think a large part of that is because Mumbai and Delhi cops seem to enforce rules better. I've seen a Mumbai cop whack the side of an auto with his lathi when that guy tried to break a red light (not saying cops whacking vehicles is the correct thing to do). Delhi too I've seen cops come down hard on minor offenses. Here in Bangalore the cops just let things go or at best 'reason' with the offender. And the auto guys aren't scared of the cops at all. Unless of course there is some special checking drive going on, then the cops only challan vehicles for the particular offense and let all the other rule breakers continue as normal.

A couple of years of real 'zero-tolerance' on the part of the traffic police, seize illegally parked vehicles and vehicles that break rules, enforce 5x and 10x the fines that are now being collected and watch how things improve here in Bangalore. Sadly, no administrative will to do that.

Last edited by am1m : 21st June 2019 at 09:18.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 10:04   #17250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I think a large part of that is because Mumbai and Delhi cops seem to enforce rules better. I've seen a Mumbai cop whack the side of an auto with his lathi when that guy tried to break a red light (not saying cops whacking vehicles is the correct thing to do). Delhi too I've seen cops come down hard on minor offenses. Here in Bangalore the cops just let things go or at best 'reason' with the offender. And the auto guys aren't scared of the cops at all. Unless of course there is some special checking drive going on, then the cops only challan vehicles for the particular offense and let all the other rule breakers continue as normal.

A couple of years of real 'zero-tolerance' on the part of the traffic police, seize illegally parked vehicles and vehicles that break rules, enforce 5x and 10x the fines that are now being collected and watch how things improve here in Bangalore. Sadly, no administrative will to do that.
My observation about Bangalore Traffic police, it was similar to what you are saying about Mumbai and Delhi, it was even more strict 8-10 years back. I have seen Traffic inspectors kicking auto-drivers and company cab drivers from his jeep, or constable hitting auto with sticks for blocking traffic.

Then came the supreme court order on Helmets, and helmet rule was implemented in Bangalore. I dont know what happened to BTP, they catch only helmetless riders, even if you are going in one way they dont care, but if you or your pillion is without helmet they will jump and catch the helmetless riders.

I dont see any improvement coming to BTP unless someone in higher-ups instruct them to stop catching helmetless riders and catch/fine people who is violating traffic rules.

Also i see Hyderabad traffic have gone more high-tech, they have fixed camera in most junction and traffic police just have camera, they dont catch people but fines will be communicated through sms and there is lot of fines for violations. Its sad BTP was one was the 1st to get blackberry mobiles for fines and all, looks like they havent moved up in technology ladder at all.

Last edited by shamanth : 21st June 2019 at 10:06.
shamanth is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks