Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2019, 10:52   #17266
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Which Place to work so that I can still think about which road to take to work by which mode of transport.
Very true, I always check the traffic situation just before leaving. If the usual 'deep-reds' are present, I just log in from home and start work instead of leaving and getting stuck. Sometimes, I just stay home and work if it doesn't clear up by 11-1130, which can happen.

Our organization was initially making a fuss about working from home. So, when one of the senior managers came from the US to visit the Bangalore office, we made it a point to schedule team lunches and other visits as far away from the office and through the worst traffic conditions possible. After a couple of times sitting through our wonderful traffic, that manager realized what we go through on a daily basis and made it a point to enable a true 'work from home' policy for our team!
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 11:33   #17267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You can find out for yourself why they do not want to use the foot over-bridge. Try walking sometime, and then use the "skywalk" every-time you want to cross the road and you'll soon understand why.

On the other hand, you'd be wondering why those sitting comfortably in powered vehicles cannot stop for a few seconds to let humans cross!

For these very reasons (that you would've deduced by now) I am in favor of driving all vehicular traffic underground; underground infrastructure paid for by the consortium of vehicle manufacturers of course!
Hey mvadg !

The idea of all vehicular traffic underground is good on paper but this probably means redesign of entire infrastructure which is very difficult for implementation given our conditions here. I am be wrong but happy to be corrected !

If I want to go around alone, without my family, I make it a point to use public transport or by walk. Would not use my bike or car. I prefer to use footpaths, skywalk/foot over bridges where ever they are present. I have done this many times and walked quite a few distances by foot + public transport on a given day.

Since I know the pain of being a pedestrian, if I see someone crossing in advance, I slow down, completely stop and wait them to cross the road but I hate to see someone jumping over from a 2/3 feet high divider and waving his hand while crossing the road even when the foot over bridge is over his head + he is working in a big software MNC which is indicated by the ID card around his neck.
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 12:29   #17268
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
According to CMV Rules, battery operated vehicles less than 250 watts power rating and speed restricted to 25kmph do not require any registration and driver need not have a driving license.
Just wanted to share this here as I'm sure many of us have school going children. Though the Yulu scooters do not require a driving license, do keep in mind the possible real risk/threat involved if/when your children plan to use these on our roads. Off late, these e-scooters have become popular with school children and a friend's son who is in high school was no different. The boy used his dad's phone to book one of the scooters for a short ~1km ride back from his tuition teachers home. This was on a Saturday afternoon around 4pm and somewhere near the HAL market/quarters, he saw some boys ("rough looking" according to him) waving at him asking him to stop and when he didn't stop, they chased him. The boy abandoned the scooter under a tree and ran towards a shop nearby. The boys who were chasing, picked up the scooter and fled the place!

My friend's son called him a little later and he went down to the place where he was waiting and picked him up safely. They immediately informed Yulu, but the scooter ride ended a few hours later (I guess it ran out of juice) and Yulu recovered it.

Last edited by NPV : 24th June 2019 at 12:32.
NPV is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 18:57   #17269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
Hey mvadg !

The idea of all vehicular traffic underground is good on paper but ...

If I want to go around alone, without my family, I make it a point to use public transport or by walk...
Since I know the pain of being a pedestrian...
... a big software MNC which is indicated by the ID card around his neck.
I didn't mean "you", but the "mango man", that is "us". My perspective changes depending on whether I'm driving or walking. When driving, I think "d.mn f..ls, they should be using the skywalk!" When I walk, I swear, "damn fools", they should drive carefully, life is precious, tera baap ka maal hai kya..."

Rest assured, these days the economics of anything can be manipulated. Every wonder why the smartphone cover costs so much when it does nothing smart? So, if we want tunnels to be cheap, someone will float another Elon Musk selling tunnels for the cost of a litre of water! (that sly reference to the water shortage in Chennai is intentional!)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th June 2019 at 09:56. Reason: edited
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 19:20   #17270
BHPian

seems to be a major gridlock in eastern BANGALORE - any ideas why ?
Old 24th June 2019, 19:34   #17271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Just don't know. It took me double the amount of time. In every direction there was a jam. I saw unusually high amount of heavy vehicles on even small lanes around Hoody area.
Old 24th June 2019, 20:29   #17272
BHPian

There was a procession around Byappanahalli towards Ulsoor side around 5:30ish. They had blocked all entry to Old Madras road from Indiranagar side.
Maybe cascading effect of that.
Old 25th June 2019, 15:35   #17273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Just don't know. It took me double the amount of time. In every direction there was a jam. I saw unusually high amount of heavy vehicles on even small lanes around Hoody area.
There was an accident under the flyover which goes towards Hebbal, at Tin Factory around 330pm yesterday. The traffic had piled up on ring road, hanging bridge and on Whitefield road. Probably the effects of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
There was a procession around Byappanahalli towards Ulsoor side around 5:30ish. They had blocked all entry to Old Madras road from Indiranagar side.
Maybe cascading effect of that.
Add to this that Baiyapanahalli road has been closed for the flyover work. This was a major road for users from Banasawadi and East Bangalore area to reach Old Madras road.
Old 25th June 2019, 19:56   #17274
Team-BHP Support

Spent an hour crawling less than a kilometer on Mysore Road flyover (towards Corporation Circle) yesterday, and today breezed through my entire 28 kms one-way commute barely needing to stop anywhere more than 30 seconds, if at all.

Exact same route, exact same time of day. Unpredictable Bangalore indeed!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 21:20   #17275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Unpredictable Bangalore indeed!
This is so true and it sums it up too!

No 2 days are same on Bangalore roads and even for regulars, it is too difficult to make any assessment if your route is passing through CBD areas or even for that matter outer ring road (Hebbal to Silkboard).

These days I read my Horoscope in the newspaper and then drive if good things are written about how my day goes !
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 09:31   #17276
Distinguished - BHPian

Driving to Electronics City or towards Hosur via BETL? Take note:

Quote:
  • Starting from July 1, commuters using the highway corridor between Electronic City and Attibele in Bengaluru will have to shell out an additional Rs 5 to Rs 10 while travelling both ways
  • At Electronics City, two-wheelers are spared from the hike on single and return journeys but have to pay Rs 580 for the monthly passes up from Rs 560
  • All vehicles, except bikers, will pay Rs 5 more for a single trip. The hike of Rs 10 for return journeys applies only to trucks and heavy construction machinery vehicles (MAV).
  • Monthly pass rates have been hiked by Rs 20 for bikes, Rs 40 for cars, Rs 60 for light commercial vehicles (LCV) and Rs 120 for trucks and buses. Larger machinery will pay an additional Rs 245 for the same.
  • At Attibele toll plaza, the single journey has been hiked by Rs 5 for LCVs and Rs 10 for MAV. Cars and buses will pay Rs 5 more for return journeys. The hike for monthly pass ranges between Rs 30 for bikes to Rs 185 for MAV
Source: Deccan Herald
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 10:12   #17277
BHPian

Why wheelie wonkers rule the Bengaluru roads asks BM today and mentions

Quote:
it is learnt that no DLs have been cancelled in the last three years based on the violations committed or accidents by DL holders.
Link

The first question that should have been asked was "Did the wheelie wonkers have the DL in the first place?" Only if they had a DL, it can be cancelled.

Near the place where I stay kids as small as 12 years have been doing wheelies on Dios. Younger lot are getting "trained" to do wheelies on cycles now. Very soon they will be graduating to using Dios.
Old 26th June 2019, 10:59   #17278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Near the place where I stay kids as small as 12 years have been doing wheelies on Dios. Younger lot are getting "trained" to do wheelies on cycles now. Very soon they will be graduating to using Dios.
Well, they are being prepared for future!
The speed at which our roads are getting crowded, day is not far when there would be enough space only for one wheel on the road, with other wheel on next rider's shoulder

Don't forget, footpaths are already surrendered to two wheeelers in Bangalore

Last edited by Acharya : 26th June 2019 at 11:03.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 19:41   #17279
Senior - BHPian

Karnataka - Steep hike in traffic fines

Quote:
Fines for using the mobile phone while driving, wrong parking, exceeding the speed limit and other offences have gone up multi-fold as the Transport Department has cracked down on the “common causes” for accident.

The revised fines were published in the special gazette on Thursday and come into effect immediately. The notification has done away with the practice of fixing fines depending on category of vehicles and has focused on the offender instead.

Last edited by airbus : 28th June 2019 at 19:44.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 22:46   #17280
BHPian

Instead of improving public transport, it seems like BMTC is about to stop AC bus service :banghead:. Can anyone confirm the credibility of this news
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...iders-5805513/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks